• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

It's sounded like they've already done the worldbuilding for Kaladesh from what Doug's said (and how it's such a well-sketched plane already)- it's likely coming up soon in the next 3 after BFZ, along with Fairy Tale World.

Vryn- probably farther off. It's personality-less. Like Jace.

Firemind

Lightning!
Lightning deals damage. That's a scientific fact. Reach implies being able to reach airborne creatures and block them. Lightning just fries them. If I had lightning powers, you're damn sure I'd zap anything that looks like a threat.

Edit: And Thunderbolt is a spell.

The chance of Vryn and Kaladesh being blocks is like 100%.

I don't think I can take 500 cards of Mage-Ring Angel, Hoop Lightning, Bands of the Cryomasters, Circular Goblins, Counterspell of Roundness, etc. etc.

The only thing that stops that from happening is if Wizards realises having an Indian-themed world completely populated by white people is sorta racist.

Not only white people, Chandra's mom and a couple other randos are desi!

It's sounded like they've already done the worldbuilding for Kaladesh from what Doug's said (and how it's such a well-sketched plane already)- it's likely coming up soon in the next 3 after BFZ, along with Fairy Tale World.

I mean, steampunk is something Rosewater's said repeatedly is on their list, and Kaladesh points to a way you can do an artifact block without having it be all Mirrodin-y, so yeah. I do wonder how they'll fit that in with Back To New Phyrexia tho.

Matriox

Lightning deals damage. That's a scientific fact. Reach implies being able to reach airborne creatures and block them. Lightning just fries them. If I had lightning powers, you're damn sure I'd zap anything that looks like a threat.

Edit: And Thunderbolt is a spell.

Lol I was just riffing off of your throwing rocks. I don't agree with the reach thing, I was just being obtuse.

Firemind

Well, I mean, it could happen. Elemental could block flying creatures. They should, like, totally reprint Ball Lightning and give it reach. Also, I never understood how a ball of lightning could be blocked to death by tundra wolves.

V5uhq4E.png
I never 3-0 while I'm intoxicated, but bitterblossom too stronk.

Also, no joke, this is literally the first Lightning Bolt I have seen getting passed around in 10+ drafts.

With Kaladesh, they went out of their way to show that there are forest areas and unique beasts outside of the main city. With Vryn, it's just rings everywhere as far as we know, so I'm not sure how we'd get forests and such.

Now Regatha... we still know barely anything and we've seen the whole set. Volcanoes, fire creatures, and monks that like fire is all I'm getting.

Also, considering how much Raven Man was emphasized in Liliana's story and even got his own art, I'm expecting that in the next couple of years we'll have a Return to Dominaria block. Unless Raven Man turns out to be a planeswalker, which he probably is, really.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Vryn- probably farther off. It's personality-less. Like Jace.

That's because there are 10 planes in the block and there's barely any time to show anything from it.

With Kaladesh, they went out of their way to show that there are forest areas and unique beasts outside of the main city. With Vryn, it's just rings everywhere as far as we know, so I'm not sure how we'd get forests and such.

Now Regatha... we still know barely anything and we've seen the whole set. Volcanoes, fire creatures, and monks that like fire is all I'm getting.

Also, considering how much Raven Man was emphasized in Liliana's story and even got his own art, I'm expecting that in the next couple of years we'll have a Return to Dominaria block. Unless Raven Man turns out to be a planeswalker, which he probably is, really.
The Raven Man appears in Liliana's lore on Shandalar, so almost assuredly.

Drafted for the first time since about November tonight.

Yeahnope. Still hate it. Still my least favorite format in Magic. Need to pin a note on myself to not do this again. Even drafting what everyone there told me was a really solid deck, I had no fun drafting and even less fun playing the deck. I played up and was animated and talking just as a method to keep myself entertained during the draft portion.

OnPoint

Yeahnope. Still hate it. Still my least favorite format in Magic. Need to pin a note on myself to not do this again. Even drafting what everyone there told me was a really solid deck, I had no fun drafting and even less fun playing the deck. I played up and was animated and talking just as a method to keep myself entertained during the draft portion.
I'm with you but we are definitely in the minority in this thread.

Matriox

I actually wasn't a big fan of draft until I started listening to Limited Resources podcast. I needed more stuff to listen to (EDIT: My drive to work is over an hour, so I run out of stuff to listen to pretty quickly). Not that the podcast is always helpful, its mostly new player content or things to remember, but for whatever reason it really psyched me up to play limited more. As mm15 rolled around I had a blast and have been drafting on mtgo every chance I get.

y2dvd

Dang couldn't get the fnm Path to Exile. Lost by drawing 5 lands in a row in one game, and drawing 8 lands in a row in the next. This game sometimes. -_-

Wulfric

Walked away with a Path promo playing Modern tonight, so that was fun. I snuck a peek at the MM draft pod and saw a Clique and foil Bob. It's not an awful draft format, but it's a major feel bad moment when a pod fires and the most valuable card is a Fulminator Mage. And the former will happen more often than a Christmasland value box.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170830112]I'm not a big fan of Marshall anymore. He plays weird in his videos and more importantly, he never opened the pack I gave him for his podcast >:|[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't open anything you handed me either.

Matriox

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170830112]I'm not a big fan of Marshall anymore. He plays weird in his videos and more importantly, he never opened the pack I gave him for his podcast >:|[/QUOTE]

I'm not a big fan of his draft decisions, I'm more interested in hearing LSV talk, but it was entertaining enough to make my drive to work more tolerable.

ironmang

Walked away with a Path promo playing Modern tonight, so that was fun. I snuck a peek at the MM draft pod and saw a Clique and foil Bob. It's not an awful draft format, but it's a major feel bad moment when a pod fires and the most valuable card is a Fulminator Mage. And the former will happen more often than a Christmasland value box.

Got a pair of paths tonight in modern and draft. Usually don't play more than one event on Fridays but it's going to be hard to walk away until the end of next month.

Still having fun kicking ass with affinity and wondering why I didn't build this deck two years ago when I first got into modern. I'm fully convinced it's 50/50 at worst against every non-UWR control deck.

I had exactly one shot at a Path this month. I really wanted one for my cube, and I can only make one FNM. So it was all up to one last DDF draft. I got stuck into a 6-man pod, and managed to pull out the W on tiebreaks even after losing in the third round to go 2-1 (six man pods are super weird). I gotta say; I wasn't super stoked for the art when they previewed it, but it actually looks really sweet in person.

Yeah, I'm not particularly bad at drafting. I have a fairly good success rate when I do it. I just have no amount of fun when I'm doing it and I'd rather be playing any other format, even sealed. I actually enjoy sealed.

Last night I got kinda punked out of the FNM promo. Felt bad. The place I go to does 2 random promos to anyone present and then promos to 1st and 2nd place. I was one of 2 undefeated players going into round 4 and we had to play it out cause there was just onnnnnne dude who was at 7 points. Ugh. It's gonna be one of those months where I get 0 promos, but last month? 7 Frost Walkers.

Today I learned that their is a decent chance the foil version of a card is cheaper in MTGO than the regular version. I got some foil Rabblemaster's for $3 less than what the unsexy version was running and ended up poking around and finding all sorts of good deals. What's the story on this?

Firemind

It depends on the card. Promos and Premium deck foils are usually less than the normal version because of how scarce something like an original Natural Order or a Lion's Eye Diamond or a Lightning Bolt is.

Foils of recent sets are usually more because of the option for redemption.

For all the complaints about the level of play on display at SCG Opens versus GP streams, these legacy players in Lille are really doing their best to equalize things. Some barely-above-FNM levels of mistakes going on right now.

Matriox

So we have possible bans and announcements coming up July 13th, anything pretty sure is gonna get axed? I've seen a lot of summer bloom guesses but I don't follow modern as much as most of you guys do.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So we have possible bans and announcements coming up July 13th, anything pretty sure is gonna get axed? I've seen a lot of summer bloom guesses but I don't follow modern as much as most of you guys do.

None, the only person who thinks Summer Bloom is getting banned is Kirblar and he just personally has an ax to grind with Amulet Bloom.

Matriox

None, the only person who thinks Summer Bloom is getting banned is Kirblar and he just personally has an ax to grind with Amulet Bloom.

I'm okay with this. Kirb isn't the only one I've heard complain about bloom, but my friends that have non competitive modern decks and havnt played outside of modern night at fnm isn't a good sample size.

bigkrev

Yep, sometimes hint getting unbanned seems more likely than anything getting banned, if there are any changes.

Angry Grimace

There's nothing getting unbanned either. There was a lot of "unban BBE" talk, but that's gone out the window because Jund is a Tier 1 deck again.

duxstar

Summer Bloom is pretty ridiculous if you've never seen it in action. If anything that's what's most likely to get the ban hammer if anything. The fact that Cedric Phillips and Patrick Sullivan have mentioned it on air as a card that they think is on its way out makes me think that they might know something.

If I had 2 guesses it would be Summer Bloom or goryos vengeance, wizards is very protective of its turn 4 rule from what I've heard.

Angry Grimace

If I had 2 guesses, I would only use one and say nothing is getting banned.

I think if Goryo's ever gets banned it would be after they see whether or not the tools they're printing to help counteract it actually work. So not this month if it ever does.

Killing A Goldfish is like a lot of bloggers out there - he uses strong language to sound knowledgable when he's really just another random dude with another random opinion.

red13th

God's Beard!";170914055][URL="https://www.facebook.com/christopher.rush.568/posts/10153984408454018?pnref=story said:
Christopher Rush responding to the kill reviews guy.[/URL]

I've always actively disliked the kill reviews dude's approach to art analysis., he always seemed to come from a position of ignorance. I'm glad someone with real experience with early mtg art is able to come out and straighten out the facts a bit.

He doesn't really say much of substance though does he? I think for someone who allegedly was so involved with early MtG art he could have told us more outside of "Sue Ann Harkey sucked as an art director" and "wotc was right to drop the royalties".

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Less "straightening out of facts" and more "I'm insulted so I'm going to go on the counteroffensive", which is very typical of artists and authors under criticism on the intertubes.

Which is not to say I believe Jesse over Rush but come on:

So the paintings I have done for Mtg and Wizards were all in my free time, outside of my daily work for Wizards.

I created the Homelands packaging and logo. Having the two compared side to side is NOT a fair comparison because it had more to do with technology and what was possible to create at the time than actual creativity.

That left a handful of artists that BUSTED THIER ASSES to create artwork for the game, under a tight deadline.

Again, WE, the original artists made this game happen, along with the group of folks that gave so much of their time and dedication to make this company what it has become today.

The biggest example of nepotism at Wizards was giving Sue Ann Harkey the position of Art Director for Magic.

There was some criticism about her lack of passion and knowledge for the game, and this is true, IMO you need to care about your product and have a true understanding for what it is you’re representing.

I haven’t worked for Wizards for a while, but I want people to know the true history of this game and the sweat and tears that brought it to fruition.

These are not the words of a man aiming to set the record straight. As contrast, look at Pete Venters' posts on the article actually correcting Jesse on a factual error, rather than emotionally airing out his frustrations while trying to smear someone else.

Venters said:
Sue Ann made some major contributions, but Mirage's initial worldbuilding was not one of them. Errors pop up all the time in articles, it has after all been nearly two decades, but the creation of Jamuraa and the adding of some racial diversity to Magic is one of my proudest accomplishments during my three years working in the Continuity department, so I felt the need to respond. Can you point me at the Wizards article that you reference?
Jesse said:
Mr Venters! Glad you could find the piece. I got the information that Harkey came up with the African-inspired setting from here: http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/feature/289

I'll edit in a correction when I get home. Thank you!
Venters said:
Bill's assertion that "Mirage was also the first set to have its creative direction headed by someone other than the designers." is also incorrect, that was Alliances. The first thing I did when I started full time at WotC was write the backstory for Alliances. Scott Hungerford, myself and Sean Carnes did the card naming, and I wrote all the art descriptions. And he wrote this in 2003? Yeesh, some people's memories!

The contrast is night and day.

G.ZZZ

Unban everything except Skullclamp and Hypergenesis Kappa

In Legacy, they'll probably ban DTT and unban a useless card like Vise or Twist or Earthcraft. Personally, i'd like them to actually unban something interesting like Survival and not ban anything.
qvpKQgs.gif

EDIT: also this "ban unban announcement every set" is the worst shit ever because they always say "let's see the impact of this new set on the format before banning/unbanning" zzz

ironmang

Legacy just isn't interesting right now. I'd rather watch 2 days of burn mirrors than another match featuring omni-tell. I support banning DTT 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom