• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Feels like it could be the surprise hit to me. Thoughts?

I miss One With Nature.

Image.ashx

red13th

I thought of a mono green Figure of Destiny/Warden of the First Tree.

Ooze that Grows
G
Creature - Ooze
XG: Put a +1/+1 counter on Ooze that Grows. X is the number of +1/+1 counters on Ooze that Grows. Activate this ability only once per turn.
1/1

OnPoint

I agree, but I'm wondering if it's not better to just drop more elf bodies. We'd have to see what Zendikar looks like to say I guess.

I haven't looked at Standard for a long time so I'm approaching it from a Modern mindset.

Oh yeah, I don't think the card is playable in Modern.

I miss One With Nature.

Image.ashx

It's a similar card but this one requires damage to the player. That difference is the main reason why I think this Sword will see play.

ultron87

topanfreeblade1.jpg

This art is going to be really weird to see on a real card. I kind of like how odd it is. Though the perspective seems... off. Like, the front hand seems too big.

duxstar

I'm trying to find a good equipment to use with Relic hunter in mono white so I'm trying atm 1 sword of the animist and 1 godsend. The only other equipment I can think of that might be worth it is haunted plate mail since it gets around the whole kill your guy in response to equipping thing.

Btw for the first few fnms if you have people that brew I'd bring a couple back to nature's in your sideboard (if you have g obv). Alot of people trying to do the whole Starfield to nyx thing.

Hero

it triggers landfall; which is almost certainly coming back.

It's kind of weird they included regeneration in the set anyway, thought they were trying to get away from the mechanic. Is there any reason you can't just replace regeneration with temporary indestructible effects?

OnPoint

Regeneration is the gift that keeps on giving. Just look at how they phrased that reminder text.

The next time the creature would be destroyed this turn, it isn't.

:lol I love the way they put that. It's just so on-the-nose.

Toxi

Banned
If you want some actually funny rules text, the Chains of Mephistopholes oracle text has you covered.

"If a player would draw a card except the first one he or she draws in his or her draw step each turn, that player discards a card instead. If the player discards a card this way, he or she draws a card. If the player doesn't discard a card this way, he or she puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard."

Amazing that the oracle text is actually less clear than the original text.

If you want some actually funny rules text, the Chains of Mephistopholes oracle text has you covered.

"If a player would draw a card except the first one he or she draws in his or her draw step each turn, that player discards a card instead. If the player discards a card this way, he or she draws a card. If the player doesn't discard a card this way, he or she puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard."

Amazing that the oracle text is actually less clear than the original text.

Toxi

Banned
well it's dumb because the wording implies the damage has already been done.
The damage has already been done. Regeneration doesn't prevent damage. It's a replacement effect for the creature being destroyed, either by damage or by something else.

GGs Dux, Elves too beast except when you draw 9/21 lands and somehow die to mass calcify lol

I do like the whole, "guess I have to win this turn... oops double shaman take 14" potential of the deck.

It's weird but I went from 4 down to 2 Sylvan Messengers a couple days ago and back up to 3 Chord of Calling because I found out that I never had enough time to cast all my cards lol

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Man, Arcbound Ravager went from a $20 dollar card to mid-$50s in a span of like 3 days.

What the deuce.

I'm glad I got mine at low $20s as they were starting to spike.

Firemind

The damage has already been done. Regeneration doesn't prevent damage. It's a replacement effect for the creature being destroyed, either by damage or by something else.
But destroy effects are essentially prevented in the literal sense. It just seems like a clusterfuck of words that don't make any sense for a beginner. If I go by Magic 101, creatures die if they receive lethal damage. Plus, removing something should relate to something tangible like counters or cards. Removing damage doesn't mean anything because there's nothing to remove. Like, say they design a card that reads: "Remove all damage from target creature." It would make no sense on top of being a terrible card!

Toxi

Banned
But destroy effects are essentially prevented in the literal sense. It just seems like a clusterfuck of words that don't make any sense for a beginner. If I go by Magic 101, creatures die if they receive lethal damage. Plus, removing something should relate to something tangible like counters or cards. Removing damage doesn't mean anything because there's nothing to remove. Like, say they design a card that reads: "Remove all damage from target creature." It would make no sense on top of being a terrible card!
Destroy effects aren't prevented, they're replaced. A creature is destroyed if they have lethal damage. Regeneration replaces the destruction to save the creature. If it didn't remove the damage, the creature would just immediately be destroyed because it would still have lethal damage. Without that clause, regeneration would not work for saving creatures from damage.

Sure, it's confusing if you look at it too hard, but it's necessary for the ability to work in the most easily understandable way ("If your creature would be killed after you regenerate it, it isn't").

OnPoint

Briefly considered buying into Affinity since I have a bunch of the cards but if Ravagers are that high I'll back away slowly now and consider what I want to do with the one I have.

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171108029]So Hushwing Gryff is pretty good against elves.

>:-|[/QUOTE]

What does it stop besides draw a card?

If regeneration didn't remove damage weird things would happen. Say it is a 3/3 and it takes 4 in combat then you regenerate it. If it didn't remove the damage but just prevented it from being destroyed someone could just shock it to kill it because any damage would be enough to kill it.

Yeef

If regeneration didn't remove damage weird things would happen. Say it is a 3/3 and it takes 4 in combat then you regenerate it. If it didn't remove the damage but just prevented it from being destroyed someone could just shock it to kill it because any damage would be enough to kill it.
Actually, that wouldn't work, because it would just be killed immediately. State-based actions would be checked, regeneration would kick in, preventing the destruction, then state-based actions would be checked again. The regeneration shield would be gone, so it would just die. Regeneration would essentially do nothing. This is the same reason that Totem armor removes all damage when you sacrifice it.

It's kind of weird they included regeneration in the set anyway, thought they were trying to get away from the mechanic. Is there any reason you can't just replace regeneration with temporary indestructible effects?
Because that's a lot stronger. With the way regeneration currently works, it still loses to first strike.

Gods the art is appallingly bad. How has Origins ended up having so many astonishingly ugly cards?

This only just occurred to me, but they made a last minute change from a regular core set (around 50% reprints) to, what, like 20% reprints? They probably had to scrape the barrel pretty hard to get enough commissions to cover their empty slots for cheap at short notice.

It's kind of weird they included regeneration in the set anyway, thought they were trying to get away from the mechanic.

Rosewater even admitted it's only still here since they don't have a replacement they like yet.

Is there any reason you can't just replace regeneration with temporary indestructible effects?

Mostly that it's a looooot stronger.

duxstar

Sorry GB I had a late night of edh at dennys, the hushwing gryff was just part of the deck, that deck I played against you was my take on D&T in standard lol, I tried to think of all the white cards that taxed/restricted players in any way.

Since it's mostly mono white I put 2 mass calcium and 2 resolute archangel as the payoff cards for white devotion into the sideboard

I really think archangel of tithes is ridiculous and will see standard play, red decks have no answer if you can land it.

duxstar

Wow slow day haha, I decided to organize my magic cards today ...... its not a very fun thing to do and I realized half of the cards i was keeping in a box somewhere were worthless. Things like Nimbus Naied and Thassa's Bounty from Theros.

bigkrev

So what are everyones thoughts on a the Pre Release?

We have no idea what is in the special pack this time (just that it is 7 cards of the color you choose), so just feel free to pick whatever color you want,. I'm going to take either Blue or Black, and make the choice by seeing which one has the most boxes left.

OnPoint

Wow slow day haha, I decided to organize my magic cards today ...... its not a very fun thing to do and I realized half of the cards i was keeping in a box somewhere were worthless. Things like Nimbus Naied and Thassa's Bounty from Theros.

I've been slowly working through my boxes weeding out shit like that. I usually give them to my friends who are just getting into the game, but might just start recycling them soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom