• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's super fun for the player casting it!!

No, it actually isn't, unless you actually dislike playing Magic: the Gathering.

Casting 4CMC spell that says "you win" is not "fun" by a metric that isn't "I like to win completely at random." The problem with Mind Twist is that it doesn't need any other cards to be completely broken the second you cast it. If an opponent casts Mind Twist X=3+ on you, you just lose and a large percentage of decks can't respond to it in any meaningful manner because they have no cards in hand.

Firemind

okay i lost. in my defense, i never drew villainous wealth with one billion mana available and eight cards left in my deck. shit happens.

also i passed mind twist for tinker in the first draft because mind twist never did anything for me. tinker straight up wins (usually).

Hero

If we go back to Dominaria, it's going to be the post-Apocalyptic plane.

That Jaya backstory is hilarious- why couldn't they have written a story on THAT.

Agreed. I love Jaya. I really hope we get a Planeswalker card of her. It's funny in some ways that her existing card is kind of close to the idea of planeswalker cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
no it doesn't.

it doesn't do anything unless you go t1 mana vault or something. and even then counterspells exist.
Yes, Mind Twist doesn't do anything without ramp. C'mon.

Mind Twist is dumb even if you don't ramp at all and cube is still a limited format and 90% of the decks don't have counterspells.

Angry Grimace

this is a format where someone gets to play moxes, ancestral recall and sol ring. mind twist is fine.
The difference is that those cards are fun to play and not necessarily unfun to play against.

Firemind

there are enablers and payoff cards. both can be equally unfair.

i groan every time someone goes sol ring t1. it doesn't take a lot for sol ring to be unfair.

More pleasant games with randoms on cockatrice:

sarkeezy12pch.png

Halfway through game one he suddenly yells at me about drawing cards on my turn before passing priority and goes off calling me a bunch of names. He was tapped out with a monoblack deck so I don't even know what the issue was. I even rewound the draw for him to try and figure out what he's trying to do at which point he paradoxically tells me to hurry up while cussing me out.

He never said anything before this and it was like turn 7 so I'm not sure what exactly was going on. It's a proxy system for testing, there's like 0 incentive to actually cheat and it's hard to know what people's expectations are for shortcutting before playing with them. I just said GGs and quit out the game, at which point he sent me the above message.

Normally I don't use ignore lists or anything like that, but Cockatrice is such a small community that I've been forced to start listing the people that act like this to me. I might even go back to the other conversations I posted here and add them to my ignore list because I'm always wondering if I'm rejoining one of these guys.

Most of the program has been great so I hate having to keep posting these things.

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171462629]
sarkeezy12pch.png
[/QUOTE]He has been knighted, and you haven't, so I think technically he can say whatever he wants to you. That's how it works, right?

I typically just play local games against myself to test on Cockatrice. It's not perfect, but it's good enough to get decks to a point where they're worth sleeving up to do real-life playtesting. Also, you don't have to worry about dealing with people like that.

Is the mana depletion part new? I don't recall people bringing that up when discussing a return to Dominaria.

That's why it's so fucked up in Time Spiral. It's supposed to be better(ish?) now.

That last part seems to be there to create a stronger distinction from the gimmick of Mirrodin.

I mean, it's not really anything like Mirrodin beyond the artifact thing. Reading this guide (and looking more closely at the art, thanks to the large images) makes it exceedingly clear that this is a real, impending setting in a way that (say) Regatha is not. It's gotta be on the schedule in the next few years.

So far, still just mage-rings, but at least we know who the factions actually are.

Vryn: ring ring ringety ring ring ringer ring ring ring.

Yeef

I mean, it's not really anything like Mirrodin beyond the artifact thing. Reading this guide (and looking more closely at the art, thanks to the large images) makes it exceedingly clear that this is a real, impending setting in a way that (say) Regatha is not. It's gotta be on the schedule in the next few years.
Seems like it will be the 'steampunk' set that people have been asking for. If that's the case, I think we'll probably see a new Ral Zarek there, since he'd fit in pretty well as an Izzet member.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Seems like it will be the 'steampunk' set that people have been asking for. If that's the case, I think we'll probably see a new Ral Zarek there, since he'd fit in pretty well as an Izzet member.

While I love the look of Kaladesh, I do hope its steampunkyness doesn't rule out a return to Fiora outside of Conspirary, or even just again in a supplemental set. I love the more renaissance vibe they had going on there

G.ZZZ

Getting cheaters on cockatrice too lmao.

Dude basically slowplayed all game, never said a thing then after i assume he passed and change the turn and draw my card and i play a land he create the token "HOLD ON I DIDN'T PASS". Ok dude whatever. I undo, go in end step, he fetch, in response i barbarian ring his creature "you didn't have mana for that last turn", except i did shithead we passed like 3 turns cause i knew you had stifle in hand and kept open specifically for this.

Jesus the shitheads.

ironmang

Couple local players are going full dumb and buying #letzachplay shirts and playmats with the intent on taking them to bigger events. Was hoping it was just MRA people picking up on the story and crashing reddit/twitter/etc but it seems like this is a normal stance for players. Sorry to bring up (what should be) an old topic but I got a little shook when I heard people I know are committed to defending this guy indefinitely.

hort

Neo Member
Going to my first pre-release in more than 10 years (last one was mirrodin).

I've tried to fight getting back into magic because I know I'm going to be tempted to spend a lot of money on it, but it seems that its the only game in my area that gets a reliable number of players consistently to play with. There was a pretty consistent Netrunner group for a while, but it fell off the earth pretty abruptly a couple of months ago =\

I think I'm going to pick black as my color. Hopefully I can win a game or two after being away for so long.

Jhriad

Going to my first pre-release in more than 10 years (last one was mirrodin).

I've tried to fight getting back into magic because I know I'm going to be tempted to spend a lot of money on it, but it seems that its the only game in my area that gets a reliable number of players consistently to play with. There was a pretty consistent Netrunner group for a while, but it fell off the earth pretty abruptly a couple of months ago =\

I think I'm going to pick black as my color. Hopefully I can win a game or two after being away for so long.

Make sure to look over the set a bit before you go and you'll be fine. Update us with how you do and good luck!

The MTR hasn't been updated yet, but according to this video you need to announce when you open a double-faced card. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFvH6zNKLTc#t=1m42s

Bothersome, but it makes sense. Before there was the variable that the other drafters either would or would not notice your pick, and forcing everyone to notice is easier than ensuring that no one would.

Anyway, after learning about it in this article, Vampiric Link (and Spirit Link) is a hilarious counter to Eidolon of the Great Revel.

EDIT: Really surprised to hear that we still have cases of the card being changed after the art comes in. Kytheon was originally a 4/3 for 2WW, but he was changed to a 2/1 for W after the art came back.

Angry Grimace

Sorry for sounding really stupid, but how exactly do the flip planeswalkers work?

Cast them as creatures and when the condition on the card is met, you exile it and then flip it. The exile is necessary because it would die if you didn't because when you flip it, its the same object and it would have 0 loyalty counters.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sorry for sounding really stupid, but how exactly do the flip planeswalkers work?

When you fulfill the flip condition, the creature gets exiled, and then comes back into play flipped as a PW with their initial loyalty counters.

Cast them as creatures and when the condition on the card is met, you exile it and then flip it. The exile is necessary because it would die if you didn't because when you flip it, its the same object and it would have 0 loyalty counters.

When you fulfill the flip condition, the creature gets exiled, and then comes back into play flipped as a PW with their initial loyalty counters.

Ahh ok, thank you. Sorry, I feel stupid for not reading it well enough haha. My bad.

Angry Grimace

The cube deck I just made is high on the list of dumb drafts I've ever made
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Angry Grimace

Didn't think you needed to announce in Innistrad since every pack had a DFC.

DFCs are public information. They were in INN too, you just didn't need to specifically say it since every pack had one. (I think)

Yeef

DFCs are public information. They were in INN too, you just didn't need to specifically say it since every pack had one. (I think)
That I know. But here you actually need to announce that you opened a DFC. I get why, but it does make things a little awkward in terms of signals.
You: "Hey everyone I opened a Gideon."
Person to your right: "I guess I need to cut white so you can't play it."

ultron87

That I know. But here you actually need to announce that you opened a DFC. I get why, but it does make things a little awkward in terms of signals.
You: "Hey everyone I opened a Gideon."
Person to your right: "I guess I need to cut white so you can't play it."

You just need to follow up your announcement of a Gideon with a long prepared thesis on why hate drafting is bad.

Angry Grimace

Guys I think I have a problem. I'm addicted to drafting janky as fuck Cube decks. Still, I'm surprised a Skullclamp wheeled after I saw a Bitterblossom in P1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom