• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriox

http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/86807

Ended up taking first at a 26 player midnight prerelease with BW. Didn't pull much except another archangel of Tithes from the prize packs. Deck was mostly solid but I know the curve is abysmal. Fortunately the decks I played against were mostly slow, I was expecting a much quicker format.

Also ended up with one of these land caddies, wanted something other than an assorted land box.
B7iCgBZCMAEMrrN.jpg

Edit:
Creatures:13
1 Cleric of the Forward Order
1 Fetid Imp
2 Topan Freeblade
1 Eyeblight Assassin
1 Stalwart Aven
1 Archangel of Tithes
1 Charging Griffin
2 Guardian Automaton
1 Patron of the Valiant
1 Revenant
1 Kothophed, Soul Hoarder

Spells:10
2 Alchemist's Vial
3 Celestial Flare
1 Languish
1 Cruel Revival
1 Necromantic Summons
2 Unholy Hunger

Lands:17
1 Caves of Koilos
9 Plains
7 Swamp

Not sure why the link didn't work.

Jhriad

So far I'm 0-2 at this morning's prerelease because of 5 different games of mana screw/flood. Having already mulled to 5 twice and 6 once in 5 games is frustrating. Hoping variance stops fucking with me soon or this is going to be a long day of frustration.

Also ended up with one of these land caddies, wanted something other than an assorted land box.
B7iCgBZCMAEMrrN.jpg

It's a nice display caddie. You could always put your decks associated with each color in there and display them that way.

hort

Neo Member
Went to the midnight event last night, went 2-2, which is about 2 better than I expected

I picked black as my box and ran a B/W midrange control deck to start with. I didn't oull a lot if creatures so I put in a lot of removal to balance it but realized I didn't have a great curve going on.

Won the first round pretty well, got steamrolled the second, had a close 3rd but lost. At this point I splashed in red to give me more 2 and 3 drop creatures which also let me use the R/W double striker (awesome) and the R/B dog that pings people. This ended up working out much better and I took the fourth round.

I pulled 2 languishes, 2 reave souls, 2 cruel revival, 1 weight of the world, so I was fully stocked on removal spells for anything I didn't like.

I think I might go to the 5 pm one and try again picking white as my box.

Sometimes I love Commander. Sometimes I really love Commander.

I'm playing Brago against Omnath and Kruphix. The Kruphix deck is some sort of durdly elf tribal. Omnath, meanwhile, starts out hard:

T1 Forest. T2 Forest, Three Visits. T3 Forest, Skyshroud Claim, Sylvan Library. T4 Ancient Tomb, Extraplanar Lens, Omnath, Chord of Calling for Seedborn Muse

I was on the play; T1 Evolving Wilds for Plains. T2 Island. T3 Trinket Mage for Sol Ring. T4 Sol Ring, Brago.

On my turn 5, Omnath is floating 10 mana, preparing to float another 20 going into his turn. Instead, I play Nevermaker and Reality Acid, bouncing Omnath and killing Seedborn Muse, plus getting Mana Vault off of Trinket Mage.

Brago is a stupidly fun commander.

y2dvd

Went R/B aggro and just turned them sideways and went 4-0. I was originally green, and then swapped out with my roommate for red since he wanted G. He opens foil Goblin Piledriver, Foil Dragon, Languish. Lame! I at least opened a Liliana and Erebos Titan so it wasn't so bad. The format is super aggressive.

bigkrev

Had 5 of the red Sandsteppe Outcasts in an otherwise horrific pool (My 7 rares: 3 Painlands, 2 Dark Petition, Knight of White Orcid and Pyromancer Goggles; my only 2 drops were 2 Maritime Guards, the Knight, and a Ruined Servator). Have no thoughts on the format yet because my deck could only win against people on double mulligans or who were too new at the game to miss on-board lethal for several turns.

So far I'm 0-2 at this morning's prerelease because of 5 different games of mana screw/flood. Having already mulled to 5 twice and 6 once in 5 games is frustrating. Hoping variance stops fucking with me soon or this is going to be a long day of frustration.

It's a nice display caddie. You could always put your decks associated with each color in there and display them that way.

In the exact same boat right now regarding games
0-3, because my deck decides it would rather draw all 9 mountains in a row then another plains/island(I alternated between the two). I picked Gideon because hey, White, ended up with all great cards in UR, and I proceed to get Mana fucked 4/5 games with UR. Changed to RW, but I can't out aggro a mono coloured deck and That was infuriating.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Crummy deck but hey I got a foil Day's Undoing. Don't tell that one Reserved List guy!

Bwahahaha.

This happened once to me before too but with Emrakul. You need a follow-up plan against the creature decks.

I was undone that game by a Master of the Wild Hunt. Dude was at 4 most of the game, but I dare not topdeck my Char.

Second round, I manage to hit very hard very early too, but then he Oath of Druids into Griselbrand

Jhriad

Ended up 1-3. Mulled at least once in 7 games on a 23/17 split deck. It was particularly frustrating since when the deck bothered to poop out land at an even somewhat reasonable rate it was pretty obviously a really strong deck. Crossing my fingers for this next one that's about to fire.

Crummy deck but hey I got a foil Day's Undoing. Don't tell that one Reserved List guy!

Lol

Matriox

Yeah, it's just nice for the occasional draft or sealed at the house, but for sure it looks very nice. The store owner was under the impression it was suppose to look like something closer to the tier level one previously so he just sold it to me at the price he paid for it so I'm thrilled.

Firemind

Fucking hell MTGO.

How is Ancestral Recall and three lands not a snap keep? Oh I don't draw any of my ten blue mana sources. GG

sgjackson

i went to a magic origins prerelease for funsies and opened fake timetwister/piledriver/that green thing that sacs and tutors for a creature. i have zero way of flipping them easily because i live in the sticks now. would i get scammed on ebay? what's the best way to go about that?

also got second, which i'm pretty happy about because i hadn't played magic in eight months. three people had managorger hydra and two other green bombs: the deck and i went 2-1 against them with mediocre alhammaret control.

Wulfric

Lost my first game today running G/W and then dropped to go to work. Retail sucks. :/

On the plus side, I pulled a Gideon and Archangel of Tithes. Gideon is a pain to flip. Renowned seems to activate pretty quickly in limited with all creatures running around with the ability. Hope all of you enjoyed/are enjoying your prerelease!

Matriox

i went to a magic origins prerelease for funsies and opened fake timetwister/piledriver/that green thing that sacs and tutors for a creature. i have zero way of flipping them easily because i live in the sticks now. would i get scammed on ebay? what's the best way to go about that?

also got second, which i'm pretty happy about because i hadn't played magic in eight months. three people had managorger hydra and two other green bombs: the deck and i went 2-1 against them with mediocre alhammaret control.

I use eBay daily. If you're super worried about getting scammed just toss some tracking on the order. You can buy tracking and shipping from eBay for like $2. I only throw tracking if the card is worth more than $15, otherwise just make sure the card is packaged safely and you should be fine. You can always check the ratings of the buyer before sending, not every low rating buyer is a scammer but keep an eye out for it before shipping.

Hackworth

That's pretty shitty of them. What was the turnout?
Like twenty? It's a pretty small store.
Also, what the heck do I do with Infinite Obliteration at a prerelease? If it hit all card types I could fuck up the Thopter Foundry players but as I was running white black (with no enchantment destruction, somehow) almost nothing was worth hitting that I couldn't kill otherwise.

Crocodile

Went for the White pre-release pack. Opened Gideon and Nissa. Went GW. Lost only one game the entire day. Opened Jace, 2 Languish, Goblin Piledriver etc. amongst my prizes. Easy Game, Easy Life <3

sgjackson

I use eBay daily. If you're super worried about getting scammed just toss some tracking on the order. You can buy tracking and shipping from eBay for like $2. I only throw tracking if the card is worth more than $15, otherwise just make sure the card is packaged safely and you should be fine. You can always check the ratings of the buyer before sending, not every low rating buyer is a scammer but keep an eye out for it before shipping.

what's the best way to package a card for shipping?

Matriox

what's the best way to package a card for shipping?

I use a toploader and something to tape down the open edge so it doesn't slip out. I also have a bunch of bubble mailer but I wouldn't get those due to being sort of expensive unless you buy them in bulk. I'd tape some thin cardboard to the sides, slightly smaller than the size of the envelope.

Edit:
Here's some for one that I'm going to ship out on Monday. I use a note card for sealing off the top of the toploader, it's easier for the buyer to remove than just taping the top and I write a little note of thanks on the note card. Oh and be sure to put the card in a sleeve before putting it in the top loader.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So it's a mythic that replaces a common 1/1? Can't imagine why people think it's bad. ;)
The difference between Satyr Wayfinder and Jace is that Jace does nothing most of the time.

sgjackson

I use a toploader and something to tape down the open edge so it doesn't slip out. I also have a bunch of bubble mailer but I wouldn't get those due to being sort of expensive unless you buy them in bulk. I'd tape some thin cardboard to the sides, slightly smaller than the size of the envelope.

Edit:

Here's some for one that I'm going to ship out on Monday. I use a note card for sealing off the top of the toploader, it's easier for the buyer to remove than just taping the top and I write a little note of thanks on the note card. Oh and be sure to put the card in a sleeve before putting it in the top loader.

so toploader with taped edge and some cardboard in a mailer would do the trick?

Angry Grimace

Ugh, following the SDCC panel on Twitter is so garbage. Why isn't somebody surreptitiously Periscoping it or anything?
It's apparently all crap about Origins that everyone already knows.

Angry Grimace

Nah there's BFZ stuff. Nissa's back. Again!

And Kiora, but who knows if all of these guys are getting cards....

It's apparently all crap about Origins that everyone already knows.

Hey, so far they've shown off a bunch of BFZ art and seeming confirmed that the PWs are Gideon, Nissa, Sorin, and Kiora.

And Kiora, but who knows if all of these guys are getting cards....

They've got five slots so it'd surprise me if someone's featured prominently and doesn't get one in the whole block, I guess. And it's gonna be more repeating characters per block now than it was before. 4 old + 1 new (or even 5 old, if the last slot goes to Ugin or Nahiri) seems pretty plausible.

Angry Grimace

All the Sorin art looks like it's supposed to be past events though like Ugin/Nahiri/Sorin sealing the Eldrazi + Nissa/Sorin's ill fated journey.

Yeef

Two more prereleases today.

First one built a UB deck and had a good enough GW pool to build that as well from the same pool. Both decks were solid, but the UB was definitely more fun. Willbreaker is such a monster if it doesn't get answered (and Mizzium Melder made answering it harder and counter magic).

Second one, had a nusto RG deck. Low curve, with Molten Vortex, Abbot and tons of removal. Molten Vortex is so good. it makes ever draw a live draw and there's so many targets that it hits either because their toughness is low enough or because you just sandbag lands.

I've been slowly getting my brothers into Magic. I've only been really playing and buying cards for about six months but goddamn is this shit fun.

Right now I've got a Knight deck, primarily based around Knight Exemplar and Brave the Sands. When that shit gets out there, goddamn is it fun.

Joe Molotov

Got off work, went to bed at 4pm and slept until 10:30pm. Went to the LGS.

Midnight Prerelease:
Took the Chandra box, promo was Embermaw Hellion. Played Red with just a splash of Green, went 5-0-1 (ID in the last round). Top 8 split the prize, which came out to 9 packs each.

1x Bellows Lizard
1x Goblin Glory Chaser
2x Subterranean Scout
1x Mage Ring Bully
3x Boggart Brute
1x Ghirapur Gearcrafter
1x Enthralling Victor
1x Zendikar Incarnate
1x Pharika's Disciple
1x Seismic Elemental
1x Embermaw Hellion

1x Might of the Masses
1x Animist's Awakening
3x Fiery Impulse
1x Fiery Conclusion
1x Dragon Fodder
2x Chandra's Fury

12x Mountain
5x Forest

Got home at 7:30am, slept until 10:30am, drove an hour and half to meet up with my friend at his LGS.

1pm Prerelease:
Took the Lili box, promo was Gilt-Leaf Winnower. Played G/B. Format here was four rounds of swiss, with packs going to x-1 or better. Lost a close one in the first round, but I rallied and won the next 3 rounds, and got 4 packs.

1x Caustic Caterpiller
1x Thornbow Archer
2x Despoiler of Souls
1x Shambling Ghoul
1x Fetid Imp
1x Eyeblight Assassin
1x Nantuko Husk
1x Fleshbag Marauder
1x Valeron Wardens
1x Llanowar Empath
1x Rabid Bloodsucker
1x Priest of the Blood Rite
1x Gilt-Leaf Winnower
1x Vastwood Gorger

2x Might of the Masses
1x Reclaim
1x Reave Soul
1x Weigh of the Underworld
1x Eyeblight Massacre
1x Languish
1x Unholy Hunger

10x Swamp
6x Forest
1x Llanowar Wastes

So, let's see. I opened 12 packs + 2 seeded packs + 13 prize packs. My haul? Poop from a butt, basically. I got 2x Llanowar Wastes, a Shivan Reef, and an Exquisite Firecraft. My money cards were a Gideon and a Languish. I guess it could have been worse, but man there is a lot of random junk in this set. Maybe some weird card will go nuts like CoCo and be worth $25, I'm not smart enough to figure it out. I just know I didn't see much I'd actually want to play in Standard.

Angry Grimace

Calling out charlequin who insisted to me that Fury and Wrath wouldn't be in.

Oooooooooh

Calling out charlequin who insisted to me that Fury and Wrath wouldn't be in.

Oooooooooh

Did you actually say they would both be in? I realized red was definitely going to be in at least a month ago but didn't want to come back and admit it in case everyone forgot, lol. But I don't remember almost anyone suggesting both.

Anyway, it is a good thing, both are much better than most of the middle to bottom tier options.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I still think it's kind of silly that Fury doesn't have haste.

I still think it's kind of silly that Fury doesn't have haste.

White Akroma is the only monowhite creature in the game with natural, non-suspend-induced haste. Red Akroma is the only monored creature in the game that makes you wonder why on earth it doesn't have haste, this doesn't make sense, it would make this card so much better, why wizards why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom