• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

I remember when me and some of my friends did a midnight back to back prerelease. Everything wrapped up around 6-7am. I was so tired I had to walk home with my eyes to the ground - they were so taxed that the sunlight actively hurt them so I couldn't even look straight ahead. I didn't do another midnight pre-release for years and I've never done back to back flights starting at midnight ever again.

People who go to midnight prereleases are nuts. I like to wake up, have breakfast, and saunter over to the LGS for a 9AM or noon prerelease. I got better things to do than ruin a good nights sleep playing sealed deck against a combination of noobs and tryhards. :)

Man there was a shop I loved down here that had 5-rounds of swiss plus top 8 for midnight prereleases. Winning a box of the new set for first was an endurance test.

Unfortunately they closed up right before MM2 came out.

It was something like this:
  1. Box
  2. 1/2 Box
  3. 1/4 box
  4. 1/4 box
  5. 4 packs
  6. 4 packs
  7. 4 packs
  8. 4 packs

Then 9th-16th got random stuff like binders and deckboxes and door prizes went out randomly to the room as well. Fun times. I'm not a fan of the standard 3 round prereleases, I like massive tournaments in general.

More control players bagging on elves after losing 0-2. "One more languish and you were dead! You were out of the game until you ripped off coco!"

Meanwhile the aggro deck is drawing as many cards as the control deck and I've never dumped my hand. I don't know for sure how good this elves deck is, but it seems like a player at least. I can't wait to see how crazy the Pro Tour is. Probably a ton of brews, all kinds of wacky cards in ORI.

That looks like a "let's split top 8 for 10 packs each" tournament to me.

They asked and I refused. Pot splits aren't very exciting. I'll split if I know I have a horrible matchup in the top 8 and they ask first or my opponent is a friend, but otherwise never.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Any Duels Origins impressions yet?

My hopes aren't high, but I'd really love it to be great.

Any Duels Origins impressions yet?

My hopes aren't high, but I'd really love it to be great.

Here's the OT.

Some people have had crashes, and some people have complained about the UI. For gameplay problems, only 80% or so of Magic Origins is available, and there are deckbuilding restrictions: you can only have 3 of the same uncommon and 2 of the same rare.

Otherwise, it doesn't seem terrible.

kirblar

Origins is a great set for Standard and adding new things for the format, but value-wise it's really missing standalone good cards.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So it won't even be the same game as actual Magic going forward? That's one way to lower my interest in this as my digital Magic option.

Which is the whole point. MTGO being tied, more or less, to the paper pricing structure will always hold them back from pursuing a genuine Hearthstone competitor

duxstar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171318323]More control players bagging on elves after losing 0-2. "One more languish and you were dead! You were out of the game until you ripped off coco!"

Meanwhile the aggro deck is drawing as many cards as the control deck and I've never dumped my hand. I don't know for sure how good this elves deck is, but it seems like a player at least. I can't wait to see how crazy the Pro Tour is. Probably a ton of brews, all kinds of wacky cards in ORI.

[/QUOTE]

They haven't learned about hushwing gryff yet.
I tried testing my g/w control deck, needed more den protectors and valorous stance. Tragic Arrogance is criminally under rated and archangel of tithes is still the best card from the new set.

I'm hesitant to add vryn wingmare to the g/w control deck, hell I'm not even sure if it's good, might try adding a blue splash for Disdainful stroke.

Definitely some interesting things coming out of origins.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Here's the OT.

Some people have had crashes, and some people have complained about the UI. For gameplay problems, only 80% or so of Magic Origins is available, and there are deckbuilding restrictions: you can only have 3 of the same uncommon and 2 of the same rare.

Otherwise, it doesn't seem terrible.

This seems bizarre.

Sober

It makes sense when you consider that Wizards does not want this to actually replace MTGO or the paper game. Providing restrictions like this will encourage players to spent money on those to get the full experience.
They already very rarely include cards that do a bunch of rule breaking across the entire board, which I was fine with in DOTP. Not sure why they needed to really set a different set of rules for deckbuilding if you're not going to include the entire set anyway, especially when the most interesting cards aren't gonna be in it.

Jhriad

Which is the whole point. MTGO being tied, more or less, to the paper pricing structure will always hold them back from pursuing a genuine Hearthstone competitor

I guess I was expecting too much from WOTC by thinking Duels might actually be an eventual replacement for that turd.

Matriox

I would just be happy if they would make a tablet capable MTGO, even if it keeps the pricing model.

EDIT: I just want to draft from a tablet :(

Where I'm at with ORI spoilers:

sarkeezyhlalo.png

• You guys can tell, but I'm having the most fun with Elves. I'm still messing around with the sideboard plans because the cards all seem to have their ups and downs, but I'm reasonably happy with the mainboard at this point. Eyeblight Assassin in particular hasn't been getting there like I was expecting. I need to test Minister of Pain in his slot. Obelisk has been pretty hit or miss. Whatever I decide on, sideboarding in general for the deck will be necessarily light so a lot of one-ofs like now. Probably wind up with 4 Eyeblight Massacre, though. That's the one card I'm super happy with.
  • I went from Sultai to UB control. I wanted to play more of the colorless lands, so Jace here is picking up a lot of the slack that Satyr Wayfinder was pulling before while freeing up the mana base. It'll take time to determine whether losing Kiora was worth the swap, but I'm enjoying the deck. Disciple of the Ring out of the board does a reasonably poor AEtherling impression, but it has a bit of extra utility that make it useful against decks that aren't blisteringly fast.
  • To be honest, Sidisi Whip hasn't gotten as much from ORI as I'd hoped. Liliana has been a failure at almost every opportunity. Priest of the Blood Rite is a decent pickup however and functions similarly to how Wingmate Roc did in Abzan Whip. I think he's enough that I can cut the Atarka and strengthen my manabase somewhat. Nissa has been doing an excellent job in the 4th Courser slot and functions perfectly with the deck's attrition and reanimation gameplans. I think this style of deck is the kind that will most reliably flip Nissa.

I guess I was expecting too much from WOTC by thinking Duels might actually be an eventual replacement for that turd.

When you took something that every single person involved has said from moment one would not be the purpose of this product and imagined it would happen you were expecting too much, yes.

Y'all are aware that Counting Crows is the best band in the world, right?

no drunk posting

Jhriad

When you took something that every single person involved has said from moment one would not be the purpose of this product and imagined it would happen you were expecting too much, yes.

To be honest I only really expected it to be a method of introducing new players to the actual game of Magic but I'd hoped for more. I'll reserve actual judgement for when I'm able to play the game but given they kept the deck building restrictions implemented with DotP2015 I'll probably wait until a Steam sale before I touch it.

Jhriad

Waiting is fine; I just don't understand the Steam sale part.

Are future expansions/additions going to be free as well? I thought that those were actually going to cost money. Given how little attention I've paid to the whole thing I wasn't really sure what their monetization strategy was going forward. Is it always packs?

Yeef

Are future expansions/additions going to be free as well? I thought that those were actually going to cost money. Given how little attention I've paid to the whole thing I wasn't really sure what their monetization strategy was going forward. Is it always packs?
Everything will be free going forward. You can pay to unlock things more quickly, but you can get everything just via playing without ever having to pay for anything.

ironmang

People who go to midnight prereleases are nuts. I like to wake up, have breakfast, and saunter over to the LGS for a 9AM or noon prerelease. I got better things to do than ruin a good nights sleep playing sealed deck against a combination of noobs and tryhards. :)

I love midnight prerelease and the whole weekend in general. Feels like a mini GP to me without having to travel. FNM friday, the midnight prelease, and the 5PM one on Saturday. I've gone to just the Saturday afternoon ones before and it never felt as fun as opening the product exactly at release.

Jhriad

Everything will be free going forward. You can pay to unlock things more quickly, but you can get everything just via playing without ever having to pay for anything.

That's cool and a bit surprising. Hearthstone charges for it's expansions, right? The last time I loaded that up to poke around was when Naxx launched and I seem to remember after the first area it cost money/gold to unlock the rest.

I like the idea, but $75 for a weekend use? I hope the Modern decks are smidge cheaper or something. It would feel horrible to plunk a $100 just to play in a tournament and 0-2 drop because of mana screw.

MAGIC IS A FUN GAME FOR FUN TIMES

I love midnight prerelease and the whole weekend in general. Feels like a mini GP to me without having to travel. FNM friday, the midnight prelease, and the 5PM one on Saturday. I've gone to just the Saturday afternoon ones before and it never felt as fun as opening the product exactly at release.

Saturday afternoon is when reasonable people come to a game store to have a comparatively normal experience playing a game they enjoy under favorable circumstances alongside regular neighborhood patrons.

I want nothing to do with that

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171346592][/QUOTE]

Sidisi is a great one-of, especially with Chord of Calling.

ironmang

MAGIC IS A FUN GAME FOR FUN TIMES

Saturday afternoon is when reasonable people come to a game store to have a comparatively normal experience playing a game they enjoy under favorable circumstances alongside regular neighborhood patrons.

I want nothing to do with that

You're be surprised who shows up to the midnight prerelease. Ours gets 75+ for a small magic area so it's pretty much everybody you can imagine. It's actually more likely that the players who are married with children show up at midnight since they can just get a few hours of sleep and spend Saturday with their families instead of coming out that afternoon to play. Obviously skipping both events is not an option for us addicts.

You're be surprised who shows up to the midnight prerelease. Ours gets 75+ for a small magic area so it's pretty much everybody you can imagine. It's actually more likely that the players who are married with children show up at midnight since they can just get a few hours of sleep and spend Saturday with their families instead of coming out that afternoon to play. Obviously skipping both events is not an option for us addicts.

Ours can break 100 for the midnight release in a decently populated area so we get a mix of regulars, random people, and the married folks stealing hours away like you said.

Afternoon prereleases are for the people who actually want to spend daylight hours with adults and kids who will gladly spend their Saturday in a game store.

I guess the real information is that I don't really like game stores so if I'm going to go to them I want to do it when there's nothing else going on. That means after midnight if at all.

GGs Dux, I'm not a big fan of Abzan Control but those are some quality cards. Rhino plus Languish is kinda sweet but honestly it's the same deck it was before. Not too much to test other than against the new decks.

Wait, I didn't play Elves in our set :-(

Sidisi is a great one-of, especially with Chord of Calling.

It's not full value until you Chord for Sidisi, Undead Visier then exploit to get Dark Petition and tutor for Chord.

y2dvd

Got a concert Friday so I can't win Path nor play midnight prerelease. :(

Oh well, signed up for G Saturday morning and B Sat afternoon. Dang I'm excited.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Duels won't save your progress unless you're online. So, you can be playing and if your mobile device isn't attached to a connection, you'll lose any story progression, gold and unlocked cards you got while not connected.

WotC. Why do you make it so hard for me to love you? :(

Matriox

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/magic-origins-release-notes-2015-07-08
If an effect would set your life total to a specific number that's higher than your current life total, that effect would cause you to gain life equal to the difference. Alhammarret's Archive will then double the amount of life that effect would cause you to gain. For example, if you have 3 life and an effect says that your life total "becomes 10," your life total will actually become 17.

I wasn't aware that's how "your life total becomes" worked. The way this is worded, qn opponent's Erebos in play means Resolute Archangel doesn't make your life total change right?

EDIT:http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2014/07/resolute-archangel-vs-erebos/

Found it myself. Totally shuts down Resolute Archangel, crazypants I tell you.

OnPoint

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/magic-origins-release-notes-2015-07-08

I wasn't aware that's how "your life total becomes" worked. The way this is worded, qn opponent's Erebos in play means Resolute Archangel doesn't make your life total change right?

EDIT:http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2014/07/resolute-archangel-vs-erebos/

Found it myself. Totally shuts down Resolute Archangel, crazypants I tell you.

I would say Skullcrack does the same thing as Erebos then, based on this ruling. You just play it in response to the Archangel entering the battlefield. And also does Rhox Faithmender then double whatever you gained? So say you go down to 0 with Lich's Mirror and have a Faithmender in play. You then gain 40? That's rhetorical. I believe you would. That seems nuts.

Yeef

So say you go down to 0 with Lich's Mirror and have a Faithmender in play. You then gain 40? That's rhetorical. I believe you would. That seems nuts.
No. You follow instructions on the cards in the order they're printed. By the time Lich's Mirror changes your life total, Rhox Faithmender would already have been shuffled in, so its replacement effect wouldn't apply.

OnPoint

No. You follow instructions on the cards in the order they're printed. By the time Lich's Mirror changes your life total, Rhox Faithmender would already have been shuffled in, so its replacement effect wouldn't apply.

Oh christ I missed the part about shuffling your stuff in despite it being integral to how the card works. I derped.

I sold an Ashiok foil I had and built a low cost affinity deck but I managed to get a single Etched Champion. I had a lot of fun playing with I might try to get some expensive card to upgrade it.

Zocano

Rotation looming is making me more interested to get back into standard. Does only thoughtseize really see any modern play? I've got coursers and rabblemasters sets but dunno what I should do with them. I like to keep one ofs for cubes pretty much but have no idea what to offload and if I should even bother. With RtR block I sorta just kept everything but I didn't buy in as hard as I did for Theros so I've got these standard staples with no where to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom