• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I played this morning and this afternoon, went 2-2 and 3-1, respectively. At night though I pulled a Nissa and a Gideon in the regular boosters. So that was something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Did you actually say they would both be in? I realized red was definitely going to be in at least a month ago but didn't want to come back and admit it in case everyone forgot, lol. But I don't remember almost anyone suggesting both.

Anyway, it is a good thing, both are much better than most of the middle to bottom tier options.

Nah it was just implied since they have to do Angel of Wrath. What I said was that red one has to be in for color representation and you said :

"They don't need to hit every color with anything more than a multicolor card. FTV: Dragons is the example here -- it's only got white in the form of Rith, the Awakener. Jenara or Empyrial Archangel would cover it just fine.

Anyway, it's possible they might do Sigarda and then use the more recent Avacyn for her slot, but there's zero chance they do red Akroma."

y2dvd

4-0 and 3-1 for the day. My one lost came from trying to splash for Sentinel of the Eternal Watch and Suppression Bonds, only to never get a plains. The mana fixing is too limited to splash for a third color. While the reward was really high, the risk proved to be higher. MM15 spoiled us for mana fixing lol.

My notable hauls are Nissa, Swords of the Animist, 2xLiliana, and Erebo's Titan and for whatever reason, Embermaw Hellion loves me. I got 4 total in promo, regular, and foil. Wtf lol. Happy overall but damn 10 hours of mtg is enough for me for the weekend.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I had two different people play Sword of the Animist against me and I can't say it did all that much.

Jhriad

Went for the White pre-release pack. Opened Gideon and Nissa. Went GW. Lost only one game the entire day. Opened Jace, 2 Languish, Goblin Piledriver etc. amongst my prizes. Easy Game, Easy Life <3

:(

I've done three prereleases so far and the best thing I've opened is the four total painlands.

Crocodile

So it seems all that happened at the panel was "blah blah story is important blah blah here's some art blah"? Kind of weak but I guess the timing just didn't work out this year.

Because I want a new bordered one for my Cube that doesn't cost $50 and has all the updated rules text. I'm also not the biggest fan of the promo art (though I'll certainly accept it if they re-use it). That was a "this is what I want" post and not a "if they don't have it some cosmic injustice has been performed" post.

So it seems all that happened at the panel was "blah blah story is important blah blah here's some art blah"? Kind of weak but I guess the timing just didn't work out this year.

I think their timing excuse is pretty lame. Okay, they can't do what they did last year (which was a big blowout on Khans) because of timing, sure -- Standard-legal booster sets compete with each other and they don't want to kill the interest in the one that comes out next week, sure.

But they put out like a billion products in a year now! The annual commander set doesn't compete with Origins. The Duel Deck does in the sense that it hints at the fall set, but historically they've avoided giving a real spoiler there -- just do what they did with Polukranos and show the name and art only. The FTV isn't going to get blown out anywhere else, so you might as well spoil a bunch of it now when it'll excite people. Shrug.

Went 4-2 in my prerelease, getting in 6th place overall. I got a green prerelease pack and got some really good (for Limited) pulls.

Red cards:
1x Fiery Impulse - Instant - R - It is rather impressive how even a weaker Shock (most of the time) is really useful in Limited.
1x Dragon Fodder - Sorcery - 1R - Did OK, I guess.
2x Akroan Sergeant - Creature - 2R - Did a lot of work.
2x Thopter Engineer - Creature - 2R - Also did a lot of work, particularly the flying thopter token.
1x Lightning Javelin - Sorcery - 3R - Also surprisingly useful despite how bad it is.
1x Firefiend Elemental - Creature - 3R - Never got to cast this.

Green cards:
1x Elvish Visionary - Creature - 1G - For some reason, some of my opponents used removal spells on this early on in the game, so it wasn't threatening to block the final bits of damage or anything. I don't know either.
1x Leaf Gilder - Creature - 1G - The 2 power was surprisingly helpful.
1x Timberpack Wolf - Creature - 1G - Was just a 2.2 in this deck, but it was fine in that role.
1x Undercity Troll - Creature - 1G - Never got to regenerate this.
1x Managorger Hydra - Creature - 2G - This was insanely good. Every opponent I brought it out against made some exclamation of frustration, and there was more than one, "It has trample too?!"
2x Wild Instincts - Sorcery - 3G - I was amazed at how useful this spell was, with both the removal aspect and the boost aspect being relevant. This was almost never a dead card. Unfortunately, it was when facing Sentinel of the Eternal Watch, due to losing my big creature before I drew it.
1x Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen - Creature - 2GG - Was only able to attack with this once.
1x Llanowar Empath - Creature - 3G - Surprisingly useful, even when I don't get a creature card.
1x Pharika's Disciple - Creature - 3G - Always got hit by destruction spells or was part of a flood of creatures that finished my opponent, so it didn't do anything on its own.
1x Outland Colossus - Creature - 3GG - Never became renowned.
1x Rhox Maulers - Creature - 4G - Did good work.
2x Skysnare Spider - Creature - 4GG - Really useful.

Artifact card:
1x Mage-Ring Responder - Creature - 7 - Never got to attack with this, either because of being destroyed or tapped, or because my opponent conceded. It did get haste from Thopter Engineer once, but that was when it was tapped down.

The games I lost were mostly due to me either being stuck at 2 or 3 lands for a while, or getting land flooded. Except for the one where I face Sentinel of the Eternal Watch, where my opponent was at 2 but my creatures kept getting tapped and I had no way of destroying the Sentinel.

Definitely some interesting decks coming out of origins.

Some brews I've seen:

Elves
Gruul Landfall
Mono Black
Abzan Constellation
UR Thopter Affinity

The landfall deck in particular is interesting if you want a ramp deck that doesn't lose to Languish. It had that landfall enchantment that generates 2/2s and the one that you can turn lands in hand into shocks. Other than that it's just a bunch of cards that pull lands out of the deck and some Atarkas. Probably the most out-there deck I've seen so far.

Abzan Constellation is super scary, but I have a long history of losing to Contellation in important matches so I'm biased. Hopefully UB control hates it out of the format ^_^

Testing a slightly greedier elves manabase with an updated sideboard:

sarkeezycbpx3.png

The numbers are slowly starting to come together after a few dozen matches.

I'm still of the mind that there's a viable Mono White Devotion deck. Valour in Akros/Secure the Wastes/Nykthos are just begging to be used together in a "No blocks? I tap Nykthos, get 7 White, pay 6 and a white, secure the wastes. All my creatures get +6/+6 until end of turn." Back up plan is White Weenie/aggro Plus, I love Mass Calcify as a card and I've been trying to use it in a deck for ages now.

It's one of those Johnny things I really want to do, but the issue is that for it to work I'd Want Brimaz/the new archangel and both are super pricey.

However, the deck has some relatively limiting flaws while mono White, be it lack of removal or a way to ensure the combo goes off. I've debated trying to splash either Red or Green to deal with removal problems, but in this deck you need all the white you can get.

I am a strong, strong believer in Evolutionary Leap.

It's a great card that really synergizes with the deck. All you really want to do is cycle over and over and you don't really care about trading your creatures or anything when you attack. That said, the deck is already pretty good at cycling and you don't want too much of that sort of effect so I think 1 Leap in the 75 is probably where you want to be.

It's pretty great considering that Elves' top end functions at instant speed already so if they sweep you you can sac everything to Leap and if they don't you cast Chord or CoCo. The fact that it's such a low mana investment is fantastic. I wish there was one more proactive 1-mana card I could play. I would actually play Honored Hierarch if it was an elf.

Man, my friend just made a deck like this, and it's so annoying. I'd rather play against splinter twin haha.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/anafenzainfinite-persist/

Isn't this basically just the Abzan Collected Company deck?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
So I played in a prerelease then another prerelease then a 2HG prerelease then another prerelease. I won 3 and i'm still shitty about the one I lost.

ironmang

This is one of the first prereleases where I felt more than half of the field was in exactly the same gameplan and colors with R/W aggro. Not excited to draft this set.

duxstar

This is one of the first prereleases where I felt more than half of the field was in exactly the same gameplan and colors with R/W aggro. Not excited to draft this set.

Funny you say that because I noticed the same thing as well. I'm starting to wonder if the Thopter love went to deep and it's triplicate spirits all over again.

In other news I pulled a foil days undoing out of prize packs which according to scg is worth $50, I will be trading it in fairly quickly

Matriox

Interesting. Of the several games I saw, most were black with a splash of something else. I felt like this was a slower format from the 5 matches I played. My last round was red black that was fairly quick but even still I was able to consistently drop 5 mana spot removal and critters.

pelicansurf

Red/white is ridiculously good in sealed and probably in draft too. It's just so strong, tons of cheap removal paired with a good solid base of common/uncommon 2-4 drops and white has a plethora of late game bombs.

y2dvd

Yeah I think it's super fast as well. I finished most of my matches with 25 minutes left in the round. So many bears with plus sides. Anyone who is slower and stumbles gets punished hard, unless you drop Languish. @_@

I was gonna go to the prerelease but preordering the entire Elf deck except the CoCos, Chords and Nissas was less money so I just did that. And without the shop that did the giant swiss tournaments the prereleases aren't as exciting.

Angry Grimace

They're wearing armor

I don't know why they insist on using the garbage flavor text on Wrath these days.

Toxi

Banned
They're wearing armor

I don't know why they insist on using the garbage flavor text on Wrath these days.
I dunno, the heads still look rather small compared to their unarmored bits.

And yeah, why the hell aren't they using: "No rest. No mercy. No matter what."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think she's slightly exaggerating their bodies on purpose. Just to make them more imposing.

EYEL1NER

I couldn't make it to the midnight prerelease but I am going to one in an hour and a half. Still not sure what combo to go with. Reading around makes it seem like W/R is what people were mainly playing this weekend. White and Red do both look pretty strong in the early-game but I don't really play White too often and I don't want to play what everyone else is playing just because it is winning. A lot of impressions I have seen on reddit have indicated that Black hasn't done that well but I still feel drawn to it. I was leaning towards Black/Green but am thinking that Black/Red might be better?

Any suggestions? I know I would best be able to decide once I know what I have pulled, but I'm kind of aimless at the moment and am still trying to keep track of all the suggestions for sealed constructing that I have been reading (17-13 spell-land split, balance out lands based on how many mana symbols you have, and other tips). I've never even used a Planeswalker before but should I wait and try to see if/what PW I pull first and then match up colors to it?

G.ZZZ

The good old times when Akroma was the best reanimation target.

Now it's all stupid creatures who instawin on drop. At least Gin Gitaxias had a crap body and had some limiations overall. Grizzly is just stupid.

Also Red Akroma would be an incredibly good card if it costed a bit less. Uncounterable, trample and pro white-blue would make her an house in Legacy. No swords, no bounce from jace, no counterspell Kreygasm.

On the other hand, i'm testing this in Legacy and i'm having fun, too bad cockatrice has been down the last days:

4 Abbot of Keral Keep
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Dark Confidant
4 Young Pyromancer
2 Thoughtseize
3 Deathrite Shaman
2 Unmask
3 Snuff Out
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Chain Lightning
4 Gitaxian Probe
3 Cabal Therapy
4 Badlands
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Wasteland
1 Mountain
1 Swamp
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Polluted Delta

SB: 3 Red Elemental Blast
SB: 3 Smash to Smithereens
SB: 3 Price of Progress
SB: 2 Dreadbore
SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
SB: 2 Sulfur Elemental

Pitch cards when you run 4 Bobs and 4 Abbots for making up the lost cards are so good
happytears.gif

T1 therapy, T2 pyromancer+unmask+flashback therapy is too much Kreygasms

Also fuck blue because fuck blue.

Wichu

My prerelease pool yesterday:

Promo foil Nissa
Jace
Piledriver
Foil Piledriver
2x Pia and Kiran
Tainted Remedy
Great Aurora (lol)

And an Archangel of Tithes out of my prize packs.

#value

Jhriad

My prerelease pool yesterday:

Promo foil Nissa
Jace
Piledriver
Foil Piledriver
2x Pia and Kiran
Tainted Remedy
Great Aurora (lol)

And an Archangel of Tithes out of my prize packs.

#value
5th prerelease and the best value I've gotten has been a non-promo Hallowed Moonlight that I opened today.

#fml

Angry Grimace

I got no money and no cards that were even vaguely good today. Considered dropping immediately and going to a bar but instead wasted three hours to an 0-2 drop. Cool set guys.

pelicansurf

Woohoo. Went 4-0 at 2-Headed Giant today with my buddy.

Moral of the story: Shadows of the Past and Managorger Hydra are an absolute beating in 2HG. Shadows was the true MVP though. There were turns where we triggered scry 1 4 times and put them ALL on the bottom. Then in the late game, I would clog up the board with flying blockers and we would just hit them for 4 and gain 2 each turn. Disgusting cards, probably in limited overall.

I played W/U and my partner played G/B. He had 4x Elvish Visionaries, the above 2 cards, a bunch of strong elves/black sac zombies, and a medley of removal. I had 4x Celestial flares, suppression bonds, tragic arrogance, 2x U/W +1+1 to all flyers dragon-thing, pretty much all flyers in the deck, with the only non-flyers being Kytheon's Irregulars, 2 war oracles, and a sentinel of the eternal watch, which could gain flying thanks to the aura that gives creatures flying as backup.

We each took over/carried games when the other deck was going slow, so it was a solid team effort. Super pumped since the first 2 games were extremely close (4x resolved Gaea's Revenge) and we won them, the last 2 games were crushing victories. Basically, if we stabilized we won. Last 2 games we stabilized early and the first 2 we stabilized late.

Awesome day. Took 20 packs (split in 2) for the win.

Just came back from a prerelease, the most expensive card I got was a Knight of the white orchid.
The person in front of me opened a Chandra foil and a Day's Undoing.
I feel I just wasted a bit of money.

Angry Grimace

Just came back from a prerelease, the most expensive card I got was a Knight of the white orchid.

that's every prerelease

Matriox

I mean... You paid for 6.5 packs which is always roulette. But here you also got to have fun with sealed which is a great fun every once in awhile. I personally had fun with Origins so far but I havnt seen draft yet.

Outside of Nissa and the CG closeup of Gideon, that's some shockingly low-quality art coming off the last two blocks.

Some of those pictures barely look planned out. Maybe Peter Mohrbacher was right and the extra art directors are lowering the overall art quality.

kirblar

Okay is it seriously just me that randomly just cannot see embedded images from Twitter? This happens across multiple computers and browsers, and no-one else has ever mentioned it being a problem
I think so. Are you running some sort of add-on or program that might be filtering out social media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom