• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

I'd be far more OK with it if it just put it at the bottom of your deck instead of shuffling the library. Now, if you don't have a fetchland and want to Brainstorm, drawing 4 is basically a free shuffle effect for the cards you put back.

One more rule that I noticed that now means something if the new Mulligan rule sticks
If there are known cards, they will set those aside.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you were willing to cheat to get a free shuffle, just move your arm and make your deck fall on the ground. This is way less obvious than drawing an extra card off a Brainstorm.

Purdy

Guys I'm a bit lost, where do I start in MTGO?

My experience is pretty limited, posted maybe about two weeks ago, a friend and myself have been playing with 3 duel decks quite a lot and really like the game. I want to start playing MTGO.
I've created my account and got the client installed loaded etc. So a few questions.

Where can I buy singles? Or do I have to trade for them all somehow?
What site is a good resource for seeing some decent decks to put together? (Obviously I'll have to factor in cost but just something to browse and see reasonably high rated decks) Something similar to hearthead/hearthpwn?
I plan on doing standard for now, can I just play quick pick up matches?

blackflag

My experience is pretty limited, posted maybe about two weeks ago, a friend and myself have been playing with 3 duel decks quite a lot and really like the game. I want to start playing MTGO.
I've created my account and got the client installed loaded etc. So a few questions.

What site is a good resource for seeing some decent decks to put together? (Obviously I'll have to factor in cost but just something to browse and see reasonably high rated decks) Something similar to hearthead/hearthpwn?

You have to trade for singles using tickets or other cards. Some company sell them on websites then trade you in game.

mtggoldfish.com is a good resource for decks.

I'm just getting back into MGTO after like a 10 year absence. I got rid of some cards and have a few hundred tickets now. I'm kind of just waiting until origins is released to do anything though.

bigkrev

1.) You buy singles from bots. You can find them on the marketplace in MTGO, and you pay them in Tickets (bought from the Magic Online store). If you want to use a credit card, there are several sites that sell MTGO cards- I like mtgotraders.com- which after buying the cards from the website, will contact you in-client and "trade" you the cards you bought.
2.) Mtgtop8.com is a simple site that aggregates decks from tournaments if you are just looking for raw lists, and strategy sites like Channelfireball, Starcity, TCGPlayer all have articles talking about decks.
3.) You can play for free in either the casual room or the tournament practice room as much as you want at any time of day. In addition to scheduled tournaments, there are also 8-man constructed tournaments that fire whenever they get 8 players, and 2-mans that fire as soon as a second player enters the queue. Those all cost Tickets.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
1.) You buy singles from bots. You can find them on the marketplace in MTGO, and you pay them in Tickets (bought from the Magic Online store). If you want to use a credit card, there are several sites that sell MTGO cards- I like mtgotraders.com- which after buying the cards from the website, will contact you in-client and "trade" you the cards you bought.
2.) Mtgtop8.com is a simple site that aggregates decks from tournaments if you are just looking for raw lists, and strategy sites like Channelfireball, Starcity, TCGPlayer all have articles talking about decks.
3.) You can play for free in either the casual room or the tournament practice room as much as you want at any time of day. In addition to scheduled tournaments, there are also 8-man constructed tournaments that fire whenever they get 8 players, and 2-mans that fire as soon as a second player enters the queue. Those all cost Tickets.

They deliver all day now too because it's just automated delivery. One time I bought Show and Tell using the PayPal discount and then sold the cards the next day and ended up getting tickets for cheaper than the official store.

Purdy

You have to trade for singles using tickets or other cards. Some company sell them on websites then trade you in game.

mtggoldfish.com is a good resource for decks.

I'm just getting back into MGTO after like a 10 year absence. I got rid of some cards and have a few hundred tickets now. I'm kind of just waiting until origins is released to do anything though.

Thanks guys, I shall get reading, perhaps I should wait for Origins also, might be a silly time to jump in

Angry Grimace

Thanks guys, I shall get reading, perhaps I should wait for Origins also, might be a silly time to jump in
Not really. Nothing is rotating out.

Origins just adds more cards.

blackflag

Yeah I'm only waiting because i'm probably just going to draft for awhile. I already know most of the origins cards. I don't know anything about the previous sets.

I'll start building constructed decks up late next month when I get my bonus.

duxstar

Should probably just try to build a deck that uses fewer theros/m15 cards. Something like Jeskai keeps alot of it's cards (off the top of my head). Meanwhile any deck running Courser, Caryatid, Elvish mystic might have a hard time come rotation.

If you use checklist cards, how does that work with deck checks? It's not like you need 4 flipwalkers lying around for the deck to function since you'd almost never be able to have more than 2 on the battlefield except for very strange situations.

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171788078]If you use checklist cards, how does that work with deck checks? It's not like you need 4 flipwalkers lying around for the deck to function since you'd almost never be able to have more than 2 on the battlefield except for very strange situations.[/QUOTE]

You need to have one real card for each checklist card in the deck.

I think the returning mechnic in RTR was Hybrid. I mean, Hybrid is now "deciduous" in that they can use it when they need it the way they did in Fate Reforged (which was incredibly slight, it appeared on some rares and mythics), but RTR had it as a full-on theme and it hadn't been used since Alara.

Okay, so the returning mechanic in RTR still didn't show up in every set of the block and was only really strong in Standard because of the returning mechanic from the next block.

Big penalty change- if you draw extra cards, it's no longer an auto-loss. Instead, your opponent gets to thoughtseize you back down to size. http://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2015/07/13/magic-origins-policy-changes/

This is a good change. "Drawing Extra Cards" used to be an automatic game loss, which sounds like it's a good idea until you realize that actually just straight-up cheating generally is something else, while DEC is really often just sloppy play or confusion. (And unless I misremember, this would have resolved the Pat Chapin game loss situation in PT DTK.)

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171824690]It also would have meant that Paul Cheon would have gotten dream crushed at GP San Jose.[/QUOTE]

win some, lose some

Angry Grimace

Holiday Cube rolls around

all I'm doing is turning men sideways

what am I doing with my life, er Phantom Points

Edit: I guess Hero of Bladehold is a lady, so turning women sideways.

Good games, G.ZZZ! It's a shame I don't speak Italian as an Italian citizen lol

Seems like there's a lot of people from Italy on Cockatrice, kinda cool.

G.ZZZ

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171831863]Good games, G.ZZZ! It's a shame I don't speak Italian as an Italian citizen lol

Seems like there's a lot of people from Italy on Cockatrice, kinda cool.[/QUOTE]

It's cause we're poor as shit and we can't afford cards so we download them.

Scab-Clan berserker is a real card.

EDIT: lmao agent don't give mana i'm dumb

Yeef

I really, really, really like Evolutionary Leap in elves. I may go up to 4.
Elves evolve into themselves, because they are perfect in every way.

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do for standard. Origins has a lot of fun cube cards, so I'm interested in tweaking my cubes and building a new one, but I need to brew something to use for Game Day. Seems like everyone is interested in building goblins and elves.

Maybe I'll build a constellation deck as a last hurrah for Theros block.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171836075]One day I'm going to figure out the way to build the Burnt Offering + Delve creatures interaction. It's gotta be busted somehow.[/QUOTE]

Why when Food Chain is a better combo already?

GAF-exclusive 2AM deckbuilding prowess:

sarkeezyopsnq.png

Don't try it at home.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
It's cause we're poor as shit and we can't afford cards so we download them.

My friend bought a played Italian Mana Drain for $150. How much is the Cockatrice version?

I really, really, really like Evolutionary Leap in elves. I may go up to 4.

Wish I'd picked up a few at the pre-release because that thing might explode in price.

By the way guys: when your opponent plays Eureka and you put in True-Name Nemesis and Vendilion Clique, make sure you know what MTGO is actually asking you to do. I managed to lose a game last night because I gave True-Name Nemesis protection from myself when I actually wanted to Clique myself to cycle a land out of my hand. And I'm an MTGO veteran!

Still 3-0'd the draft. I'll post the deck when I get back home. I drafted the nuts Stoneblade deck, and it was great.

Tea Time

Neo Member
As someone who has a few M15 cards and knows the basics through playing mainly at home with the mrs but is looking to get more involved in MTG now I'm getting some nights off from the kids, is it worth me dropping the cash on an Origins booster box?

I do love the feeling of opening the booster packs and the whole collecting aspect of the hobby so it seems like a common sense decision but I don't know what the norm really is so it'd be nice to get an opinion from more experienced heads.

ultron87

This is a good change. "Drawing Extra Cards" used to be an automatic game loss, which sounds like it's a good idea until you realize that actually just straight-up cheating generally is something else, while DEC is really often just sloppy play or confusion. (And unless I misremember, this would have resolved the Pat Chapin game loss situation in PT DTK.)

The Chapin thing was failing to reveal the card he chose off Ajani, not drawing extra. This wouldn't have changed that. (The video replay stuff they're adding for the Pro Tour wouldn't have either.)

As someone who has a few M15 cards and knows the basics through playing mainly at home with the mrs but is looking to get more involved in MTG now I'm getting some nights off from the kids, is it worth me dropping the cash on an Origins booster box?

I do love the feeling of opening the booster packs and the whole collecting aspect of the hobby so it seems like a common sense decision but I don't know what the norm really is so it'd be nice to get an opinion from more experienced heads.

When you say "get more involved" what are you looking to do? Booster Boxes really only make sense financially if you're going to draft them with a group. That gets you some fun times and lets you split the cost up. Otherwise, if you're looking for specific singles you're probably better off just buying them directly.

Tea Time

Neo Member
When you say "get more involved" what are you looking to do? Booster Boxes really only make sense financially if you're going to draft them with a group. That gets you some fun times and lets you split the cost up. Otherwise, if you're looking for specific singles you're probably better off just buying them directly.

Mainly going down to the Magic nights at the local store, so I assume I'd need to start building a deck so I have something to use while I'm there. Like I say, I'm not massively experienced in it all outside of games at home. I figured buying a booster box would likely give me a pretty broad range of current cards to pick and choose from and experiment with. Is that not a normal way to do things?

Joe Molotov

That's really the only reason to buy a booster box (other than for drafting, as mentioned above). Buying boxes is almost always a poor return on investment, but cracking packs is fun. Finding a deck online you want to play and then buying the cards for it is a better way to get started.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171838982]GAF-exclusive 2AM deckbuilding prowess:

sarkeezyopsnq.png

Don't try it at home.[/QUOTE]

Needs more Siege Rhino.

ultron87

Mainly going down to the Magic nights at the local store, so I assume I'd need to start building a deck so I have something to use while I'm there. Like I say, I'm not massively experienced in it all outside of games at home. I figured buying a booster box would likely give me a pretty broad range of current cards to pick and choose from and experiment with. Is that not a normal way to do things?

If you want that cracking a pack feeling you could go to your local store and see when they run drafts. That's where you don't have to bring a deck with you. You sit in an eight person group and everyone opens a pack, picks a card, and passes the rest of the pile to the next player. After doing that for 3 packs you build a 40 card deck from the cards you've picked + any number of basic lands. Draft is great because everyone comes in on a relatively level playing field, though drafting well is a skill you definitely need to develop. You also get to keep the cards you pick and can win additional boosters/store credit to slowly build up a collection.

If you want to play Constructed, where you build a deck ahead of time, you can probably put something together from a booster box, but it honestly won't be that competitive if you're playing anything but random casual games. You're just unlikely to get the concentration of rares and uncommons needed to put together anything consistent.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";171838982]GAF-exclusive 2AM deckbuilding prowess:

sarkeezyopsnq.png

Don't try it at home.[/QUOTE]

You're making a huge mistake trying to add white. Not sure how Sorin is better than Chord of Calling in a deck like this really.

I chose black for my pre-release weekend sealed deck event, but ended up with more of a green ramp deck. I still used black as my 2nd color, but besides the one Languish, I didn't pull anything amazing. I probably got the most value from black out of these guys:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

That 2/3 did pretty good work against a lot of the 2-drops in this limited pool. I also got a lot out of Elemental Bond and that green sorcery that pulls 2 or 3 forests out of your deck.

I went 3-2. When I lost, it was usually to a flood of early creatures. When I won, I usually pulled it off late-game with one of these:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

The Timmy in me loves that haste fatty. Rawr.

The only negative thing about the pre-release was two out of my five opponents were pretty unpleasant. I know there's a lot to focus on in a game of Magic, but it is possible to say something that isn't just a literal description of what you're doing. One of those guys was super annoying, shuffling my deck 5-10 times every time he had the opportunity to cut; that was often since I did a decent amount of land fetching. He almost had a melt down when he realized someone accidentally took the pen he was using for life-total-tracking. I felt a secret joy when I beat him 2-0.

But the other 3 guys I played were very friendly. Overall I had a good time.

ultron87

Staring down two of those Sentinels (played on consecutive turns) was one of the most powerless feelings I've felt in a game of Magic. My only removal being 3 damage red spells might've contributed to the issue, lol.

Sentinel of the Eternal Watch is absurd. You should pick it over most rares in the set.

Whirler Rogue is also ridiculous, although its usefulness is far more conditional. It's my favorite card in the set though. It's like a baby Cloudgoat Ranger.

ultron87

Has there ever been a card that turns off a card's triggered abilities?

Like:

Solitary Confinement 2W
Enchantment

Enchant nonland permanent.

Enchanted permanent can't attack or block. Abilities of enchanted permanent can't trigger.

Was just thinking of a way to turn off the Sentinel without killing it.

Has there ever been a card that turns off a card's triggered abilities?

Like:

Solitary Confinement 2W
Enchantment

Enchant nonland permanent.

Enchanted permanent can't attack or block. Abilities of enchanted permanent can't trigger.

Was just thinking of a way to turn off the Sentinel without killing it.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom