• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Card/deck registration takes like ten minutes. It's building the deck that's the hard part.

I'd definitely try for the main event. Greatness awaits you. Imagine going to day two. Free drafts!

Firemind

Just got my first Origins draft going and first match I immediately got beaten down by Rhox Maulers and Vastwood Gorgers, which wouldn't be a problem were it not that my opponent followed it up with a 6/6 vigilance, reach man for six mana. Mother of God. In my days, Scaled Wurm was considered overpowered. Now they're giving it two relevant abilities for two mana less and just upped the rarity by one.

Bring on, BFZ!

Jawmuncher

My buddy is really adamant about me making a deck. Which I haven't done in years since I usually just play with what other have. So was hoping MTG GAF could help me out with some suggestions/ideas.

The decks my groups make can be pretty unwildly, stuff like infinite mana combos, controlling peoples turns, etc.

So because of that I'm hoping I could get some suggestions for a "Troll" deck not the creature type but just really odd circumstances that could be added to the game. Stuff like Divine intervention and what not.

Before anyone want's to get offended I don't play in any sort of official capacity and my friends are already expecting me to make a deck such as this.

My buddy is really adamant about me making a deck. Which I haven't done in years since I usually just play with what other have. So was hoping MTG GAF could help me out with some suggestions/ideas.

The decks my groups make can be pretty unwildly, stuff like infinite mana combos, controlling peoples turns, etc.

So because of that I'm hoping I could get some suggestions for a "Troll" deck not the creature type but just really odd circumstances that could be added to the game. Stuff like Divine intervention and what not.

Before anyone want's to get offended I don't play in any sort of official capacity and my friends are already expecting me to make a deck such as this.

Red and blue are typically better for this sort of thing. Here's a monored deck I found for Commander, for instance. One great blue card for this is Hive Mind.

kirblar

Holy crap people are dumb.

All these posts about OMG 20 NONBASICS and people miss that there are 5 more cards than normal. They're extra basics, just like RTR- 1 Reprint, 4 New.

We're looking at a "normal" number of nonbasics here- probably about 16.

I'm sorry, I don't know what that means. What are you hoping to trade for what? And what else do you have besides 1 Lili?

I'm sorry, I just meant that for the cards of yours that I want, it looks like I'll owe you more than just my LotV.

Also you excluded the cards of yours that I'd need that were under a dollar. I was saying that if you wanted to go ahead and trade/sell them to me, I'd rather do that because I would need them anyway and could avoid getting them from a dozen different sources.

This is my inventory on deck box which isn't 100% complete and not necessarily everything is for trade.

https://deckbox.org/sets/457886

Thanks!

I think this is what I need for Prossh:

1 Aggravated Assault
1 Anger
1 Atarka, World Render
1 Barren Moor
1 Berserkers' Onslaught
1 Blasphemous Act
1 Boltwing Marauder
1 Chord of Calling
1 City of Solitude
1 Craterhoof Behemoth
1 Crop Rotation
1 Cruel Tutor
1 Cultivate
1 Descent of the Dragons
1 Diabolic Intent
1 Dictate of Erebos
1 Doubling Season
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Farseek
1 Fire-Lit Thicket
1 Forgotten Cave
1 Garruk Relentless
1 Glistening Oil
1 Gratuitous Violence
1 Grave Pact
1 Grave Titan
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Harmonize
1 Hull Breach
1 Jarad's Orders
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Kher Keep
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Krosan Grip
1 Lotus Vale
1 Pattern of Rebirth
1 Pernicious Deed
1 Phyrexian Altar
1 Price of Glory
1 Primeval Titan
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
1 Sarkhan Vol
1 Savage Lands
1 Savage Ventmaw
1 Shared Animosity
1 Skyshroud Claim
1 Spoils of Victory
1 Summoner's Pact
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Twilight Mire
1 Vexing Shusher
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Xenagos, God of Revels
1 Xenagos, the Reveler
1 Yavimaya Elder

Hey guys....I have a question, if there was a video game version that I wanted to play for Magic that could help me learn the mechanics and enjoy as close to the card game, which one would it be?

I've always wanted to be into table top games, learn how to play magic, dnd, yugioh...anything, but alas, a life without friends sucks, and i'm not very good at making any.

Hey guys....I have a question, if there was a video game version that I wanted to play for Magic that could help me learn the mechanics and enjoy as close to the card game, which one would it be?

I've always wanted to be into table top games, learn how to play magic, dnd, yugioh...anything, but alas, a life without friends sucks, and i'm not very good at making any.

Well you're in luck, there's Magic Duels on iOS (Steam coming in a few days), and the older Duels of the Planeswalkers for some other platforms.

You can always get last years model. It's probably like $5 and will teach you just the same....

Which one are you referring to? something on pc, or on iphone? cuz i don't see anything else on the app store.

I'm going to a university in the coming fall, and I might just start buying booster packs every once in a while, and hope I meet some folks I can play with.

Jhriad

Which one are you referring to? something on pc, or on iphone? cuz i don't see anything else on the app store.

I'm going to a university in the coming fall, and I might just start buying booster packs every once in a while, and hope I meet some folks I can play with.

You should be able to find Magic 2014 on Steam. 2014>2015

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I went 3-1 (had a really bad game winning misplay) that dunked me in the finals. 2x hangarback walker was pretty good tech, makes arcbound ravager better and if steel overseer is in play, very broken things happen.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You should be able to find Magic 2014 on Steam. 2014>2015

Hell, I've already dropped Duels and went back to MtG 2014 for my mobile fix. The modded version is also the one game I keep on my work laptop to play a quick round while video is rendering or something.

blindrocket:
Hey, thanks for clearing that up. I hadn't heard that turn of phrase before. Now it's all clear.

You, you got what I need
---------------
LotV
Batterskull
Tinker

Other wants
---------------
Cavern of Souls
Zen fetches
3 Goyfs (lol)
2 Hierarch
Blightsteel

I have
-------------
4 Stoneforge
2 Council's Judgement
2 True-Name Nemesis

1 Atarka, World Render
1 Barren Moor
1 Berserkers' Onslaught
1 Blasphemous Act
1 Boltwing Marauder
1 Craterhoof Behemoth
1 Cultivate
1 Descent of the Dragons
1 Dictate of Erebos
1 Doubling Season
1 Farseek
1 Garruk Relentless
1 Glistening Oil
1 Grave Pact
1 Grave Titan
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Harmonize
1 Hull Breach
1 Jarad's Orders
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Krosan Grip
1 Primeval Titan
1 Savage Ventmaw
1 Summoner's Pact
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Xenagos, God of Revels
1 Xenagos, the Reveler
1 Yavimaya Elder

Played paper Origins draft today for the first time. Went 4 games straight with my sweet 3-color Mono Red deck and got crushed in the finals by turn 3 Managorger Hydra both games.

Decided to rebuild some karma I was obviously lacking by pulling a WanderingWind and gifting my promo Path to Exile to some little kid building a Modern deck.

Other than that, traded for my remaining Jaces and Nissas and foreign fetches and went out and got Horchata with friends afterwards. Not a bad day.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any card that manipulates my opponent's library or top cards? Something like: Look at the opponent's top x cards and return them in any order.
It can even be absurdly obscure.

Image.ashx
+
Image.ashx
+
Image.ashx

Choosing what cards your opponent draws for the rest of the game is fun.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Man, Slivers looked so cool. I wish they'd bring them back. You know, the good, playable ones that looked unique, not the slow garbage ones that looked like Predator fan art.

Hero

Strongly suggests that Landfall is in the set and enemy fetches are not.

I'd say "normal" is, like, somewhere between Scars' 6 and Innistrad's 12; Zendikar had 20 and this is probably in the neighborhood.

Why does Evolving Wilds suggest that enemy fetches aren't in the set? Evolving Wilds is a a great card at landfall enabling at common for limited.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Slivers looked so cool. I wish they'd bring them back. You know, the good, playable ones that looked unique, not the slow garbage ones that looked like Predator fan art.

Yeah, it's kind of funny that they gave them a shiity art redesign AND a shitty mechanic redesign. You'd think one person internally must have fought against it.

Jhriad

You're saying Wizards wouldn't put enemy fetches + Evolving Wilds in the same set?

Or that they're Rare so they won't be pulled in limited too much so they had to throw in Evolving Wilds to help proc whatever Keyword the set has.

kirblar

You're saying Wizards wouldn't put enemy fetches + Evolving Wilds in the same set?
At Rare they actually show up often enough in limited to make putting Evolving Wilds in the set unnecessary. (As it's likely the lower-than-average 101st common.)

They're going to wait on the enemy fetches so they rotate in when Khans rotates out.

MjFrancis

Enemy fetches in the second Zendikar set makes sense. Khans will be rotated out by then right? Keeps five fetches in Standard that way.

MjFrancis

Hmm. Doesn't rotate how I thought.

I did okay last night (2-1) in Origins draft with a mediocre deck. Started drafting U/R artifacts and switched to Rakdos Zombies by the end of the first pack. I had three Act of Treason effects so I was able to overcome the lack of evasion by stealing my opponent's best creature and sacking them to Nantuko Tusk before or after combat damage. Four Undead Servants helped, as did some Dragon Fodders and reanimation spells. Combat match was tricky all night with Tusk on board.

Final match was against a guy that built the G/W Renown deck I was hoping to make before the draft. Citadel Castellan wrecked me, and after games he told me that he drafted three of them! Baby Siege Rhino demands answers and I had little for them. Really I feel lucky that I got as far as I did.

Jhriad

At Rare they actually show up often enough in limited to make putting Evolving Wilds in the set unnecessary.

If the set has some Lands Matter mechanic then the necessary lands at Rare isn't enough to make that mechanic feasible in limited without another cycle of lands to help supplement the archetype's playability. That said, I think that Manlands or some other cycle is more likely than the Fetches. Zendikar's Roil + that Evolving Wilds artwork + Nissa's Elemental make Manlands feel like a lock in BFZ or the next set in the block. If I weren't so lazy I'd try to count it out and see if there was room for another cycle of lands like the Urza Manlands or something.

Turn 4 Celestial Flare to get my Citadel Castellan through and the dude conceded as soon as I tapped two plains. Probably still haunted by seeing all three CF's I have in my sealed deck in the first round.

Today was the first chance I've had to mess around with Origins. Pulled a Woodland Bellower, Languish, foil Dwynen and a small pile of stuff for my elf deck. I can't complain.

Hell, I've already dropped Duels and went back to MtG 2014 for my mobile fix. The modded version is also the one game I keep on my work laptop to play a quick round while video is rendering or something.

blindrocket:
Hey, thanks for clearing that up. I hadn't heard that turn of phrase before. Now it's all clear.

You, you got what I need
---------------
LotV
Batterskull
Tinker

Other wants
---------------
Cavern of Souls
Zen fetches
3 Goyfs (lol)
2 Hierarch
Blightsteel

I have
-------------
4 Stoneforge
2 Council's Judgement
2 True-Name Nemesis

1 Atarka, World Render
1 Barren Moor
1 Berserkers' Onslaught
1 Blasphemous Act
1 Boltwing Marauder
1 Craterhoof Behemoth
1 Cultivate
1 Descent of the Dragons
1 Dictate of Erebos
1 Doubling Season
1 Farseek
1 Garruk Relentless
1 Glistening Oil
1 Grave Pact
1 Grave Titan
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Harmonize
1 Hull Breach
1 Jarad's Orders
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Krosan Grip
1 Primeval Titan
1 Savage Ventmaw
1 Summoner's Pact
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Xenagos, God of Revels
1 Xenagos, the Reveler
1 Yavimaya Elder

I definitely have and in mint/near mint condition:

Liliana of the Veil
Tinker (better art From the Vault edition)
Batterskull (better art GP edition)
Blightsteel Colossus

My most wanted cards from you are:

4 Stoneforge
2 Council's Judgement (I really only need one, but I'd take two if we work something out)
2 True-Name Nemesis

Perhaps if we take out the more expensive cards from the Prossh list I need, I could afford to just purchase the rest if there isn't anything else I trade to you.

Also, are any of the cards that you have for me white bordered? I'd rather stick to black bordered if possible. I think there's only a couple possible cards that were in a white ordered set. I also assume that condition is all rather good.

I'm also curious, are you making a Vintage artifact deck or something with Tinker and Blightsteel?

kirblar

You really think Landfall is in? I'd be okay with that but I was hoping for something a little different for the land mechanic.
Landfall, Allies, Full-Art lands are going to be in. Fetches are not. Because you're cutting that last one you really need to make sure you hit the other big notes.

Not that they'd never do that for any reason, but that in a Zendikar set the needs of the land slots are different from other sets and they would definitely not include a common enabler version of an effect that was also in a full rare cycle.

That said, I think that Manlands or some other cycle is more likely than the Fetches.

Dual-manlands is also a cycle that they can really only complete in Zendikar while enemy fetches can be printed in any random block, especially one that doesn't overlap with the allied fetches.

You really think Landfall is in?

With Evolving Wilds it's really hard to imagine that it isn't, unless they somehow came up with a new land mechanic that is also enabled by fetchlands. (Which is too bad, because Landfall is not actually a good mechanic.)

Sounds... bland.

Yeah typically I haven't been big on Jesse's "this is the conservative era of MTG" thesis but if they're really going to dissemble about full art lands for years and then finally bring them back in the place where they have the least possible value, I'm going to have to concede that he's basically right and they're just trying to sell sets with as little creative effort as possible these days.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah typically I haven't been big on Jesse's "this is the conservative era of MTG" thesis but if they're really going to dissemble about full art lands for years and then finally bring them back in the place where they have the least possible value, I'm going to have to concede that he's basically right and they're just trying to sell sets with as little creative effort as possible these days.

I think its hard to argue that we're not in a conservative era of Magic design, I think the argument has to be around if that's a bad thing or not. I mean, compared to the weirdness that characterized Kamigawa through Shadowmoor (which marked the beginning years of Rosewater's era, which is not a coincidence) they're certainly less out there. I'm not convinced that that's made the game worse to play, blocks like RTR and Khans and even Theros are certainly fun to play with, they're just less interesting from a holistic design perspective.

With that said, I'm still skeptical that Landfall is in. I bet its another mechanic that cares about land drops in some way, but I just can't imagine what "twist" they'd give landfall for a return

y2dvd

I might end up going the Pucatrade route for these cards. Getting staples in return takes some patience though.

Tell me about it, GP Madison is $60 for the main event. I'm making plans to go (Aaron Miller! Dan Scott!), but I'm still not enthusiastic about playing six-pack sealed for hours and writing every single card down. Are drafts usually $10? I'm down for rare drafting enemy fetches all day.

At the GP and immediately was able to trade for an Underground Sea for my EDH deck. Drafts are currently $10, but they are single elim though. Not bad when it's $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom