• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I'll pay you for one.

It finally deleted, but I don't think it would let me buy two anyway. Which is weird that I was able to in the first place.

Edit: Despite it being in my cart and letting me get all the way to step 5, which is Place Order, after entering all my info, it's now "sold out". Fuck you Hasbro

Yeef

And it turned out that this ended up trainwrecking many players when their colors from the seeded solo-color pack weren't supported by the rest of the booster.

I opened blue for Theros. Built Black/Red. If I were a worse player, I'd have a godawful blue deck.
I'd say the ratio of people who end up with a pool good their color to those that don't is a lot higher than you seem to think.

I also think you're looking at it too much from a competitive player's perspective. New and casual players aren't worried about having the best deck as much as they are about playing a decent deck that matches their playstyle.

kirblar

I'd say the ratio of people who end up with a pool good their color to those that don't is a lot higher than you seem to think.

I also think you're looking at it too much from a competitive player's perspective. New and casual players aren't worried about having the best deck as much as they are about playing a decent deck that matches their playstyle.
Constructed is that way if you want that out of your experience. Teaching them to force something in a sealed pool is not good.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It finally deleted, but I don't think it would let me buy two anyway. Which is weird that I was able to in the first place.

Edit: Despite it being in my cart and letting me get all the way to step 5, which is Place Order, after entering all my info, it's now "sold out". Fuck you Hasbro

Same. Oh well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This sounds like it was more of a complaint that the stores had with certain boxes going unpicked repeatedly and having to deal with excess sitting around afterward rather than a complaint that many players had. I liked being able to smooth out my pool a bit by getting a few extra cards in my preferred archetype. The change to the promo sucks as well. Part of the value is that the promo has a decent chance at being a solid card and props up your pool EV. Now I fully expect to get shit rares every single time.

The problem with it is the crowd that Prerelease draws. A regular ol' FNM crowd would probably be okay with random distribution of the seeded packs and just deal with "blue not being as good in X format" or whatever. All of the more casual people would probably gtt pissed off not getting to pick their favorite color and seeded packs pretty much tell you to force whatever that color is in the packs.

Jhriad

Constructed is that way if you want that out of your experience. Teaching them to force something in a sealed pool is not good.

Constructed isn't nearly as forgiving of jank as sealed pools are in addition to requiring a higher level of investment for even entry level competitiveness. Besides, you're not teaching them anything by giving them a few extra cards in a set color scheme. If they take the White box and force it despite their pool giving them all the signs to go elsewhere that's on them. When they're so enthusiastic about a color that they're going to force it regardless of their sealed pool they were probably going to try to force it whether or not the seeded pack was included. They'll eventually learn the lesson of not forcing an archetype either way.

Either way I could care less about losing out on the uncommons/commons of the pack. The promo being a random Rare/Mythic from the set suuuuucks. My luck with the promo cards is bad enough as is, now I'll have to make do with the shittiest of dogshit rares while my opponents will all pull bomb Mythics. It might make prerelease promos of certain cards worth more since they'll be more uncommon though.

Wulfric

I don't know, it seemed like they finally got the prerelease formula right with Origins. Six packs for the spikes and purists, and a 7-card color centric pack for the casual crowd. No one is being forced into a color with that method, and it keeps the fun "choose your own adventure" vibe that is vital for a casual oriented event like prerelease.

At least with the old setup you have a decent chance at getting the chase rare as your promo. Not so with BFZ, apparently.

Firemind

Who knows? Maybe they will downgrade the enemy fetches to uncommon to promote landfall in limited. Then reprint Plated Geopede.
BELIEVE

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I certainly do own a lot of Fetchlands in general since I have like 35 KTK fetchlands and 8 ZEN fetchlands. I got spooked on Scalding Tarn not seeing a reprint and bought in at a pretty stiff price. But hey, it will pay out if Scalding Tarn isn't in BFZ and it shoots up to 80 bucks or something. I think I own like 9 Shocklands total.

Matriox

I don't know, it seemed like they finally got the prerelease formula right with Origins. Six packs for the spikes and purists, and a 7-card color centric pack for the casual crowd. No one is being forced into a color with that method, and it keeps the fun "choose your own adventure" vibe that is vital for a casual oriented event like prerelease.

At least with the old setup you have a decent chance at getting the chase rare as your promo. Not so with BFZ, apparently.

I thought this was a very acceptable method as well.

I've been trading away my shocks pretty aggressively because I don't play modern that much and if I did it would be to play Lantern Control which runs fast and painlands.

Angry Grimace

They should just hand you one of the intro packs at random and then laugh at you.

MtGO's servers can just eat a dick. A big, spikey, ruthless dick. :(

I can't have a game anymore without getting disconnected, and our internet is solid.

Angry Grimace

MtGO's servers can just eat a dick. A big, spikey, ruthless dick. :(

I can't have a game anymore without getting disconnected, and our internet is solid.

I entered like 2 Origins drafts before I figured out drafting a set you don't give a fuck about is a really bad idea.

The last update completely ruined performance. Either that, or they're slammed from prereleases. Either way, it's fair to say that MTGO gets worse month over month.

Angry Grimace

I dontb understand how people tolerate that client.

It works fine. Pretty much whatever it is that bothers you is easy to play around, you just don't want to. Its really that simple.

Its barebones as fuck, but the actual gameplay works the way I want it to, which is pretty much the opposite of how Duels works.

Firemind

The client works fine for me as well.

Origins is pretty dull tho. Not really looking forward to the PT now. Also I keep opening painlands. :lol

kirblar

The client works fine for me as well.

Origins is pretty dull tho. Not really looking forward to the PT now. Also I keep opening painlands. :lol
The set's got the same problem every other core set has had for a while- instead of Aces like BSA, it's got a bunch of niche/utility cards that, while healthy for standard, create no excitement whatsoever.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, but we really did need cards Hallowed Moonlight and Evolutionary Leap. Might as well be sub $5 cards in a garbage set, imo.

I replaced Courser of Kruphix in a bunch of decks with Nissa, too.

Angry Grimace

Who knows? Maybe they will downgrade the enemy fetches to uncommon to promote landfall in limited. Then reprint Plated Geopede.
BELIEVE

I'd like to believe they understood why Landfall sucks. I mean, other than the fact it's a dumb mechanic that doesn't require you to do anything specific and only operates on your own turn.

Hero

I'd like to believe they understood why Landfall sucks. I mean, other than the fact it's a dumb mechanic that doesn't require you to do anything specific and only operates on your own turn.

Yeah, if only they had lands in standard that let you fetch a land at instant speed and play it on the battlefield for a cheap cost, maybe 1 life or so...

Firemind

Jace is the new Narset. Only his mana cost is two instead of four.

Think about it. Narset's +1 is comparable to Jace's +1 plus loot ability. The +1 saves him two loyalty which is actually more than when Narset goes +1. Looting is arguably better than revealing a random card that you may or may not be able to keep. Narset's -2 is comparable to Jace's -3; one has to be in hand and the other in the graveyard. Narset's is arguably more narrow as you may not want to cast the same spell in consecutive turns. It's also much more difficult to cast Narset and -2 on the same turn, whereas Jace can loot, flip and flashback with lands untapped all on the same turn.

The only downside is Jace dies to removal, which I will gladly pay two mana less for. Narset got shafted.

Matriox

Oh, I understand, I'm just surprised he hasn't hit his ceiling yet. The others have slowed down dramatically.

Must be all the dumb blue/control love.

He's more likely to see play as a playset due to his low cost and likely to be removed when near flip territory.

I guess all of them have low costs lol, bad comparison. But the playset bit is more relevant.

The only cards I've gotten from Origins are two Yavimaya Coasts, lol.

Not too much I need to do for my Temur deck, it seems pretty fucking unnecessary to change.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Jace at 40 now. Everyone said he was garbage at the beginning, but having him as a 4x, to just loot through your deck and then recast burn spells, sweepers, etc, after just playing them is kind of ridiculous. Control loves him! So does Languish.

Got people not accounting for shortcuts on cockatrice infuriates me. Of course I'm making a cat token off brimaz. I just let you make decisions because I have to actually make a token every time and it slows the game down. Missing triggers my ass.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah, seems like Pro Tour price spike. May be seeing a lot of Sultai/BlueBlack Control this weekend. Might stay there for a bit just like M15 Nissa did if it performs well.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, if only they had lands in standard that let you fetch a land at instant speed and play it on the battlefield for a cheap cost, maybe 1 life or so...

Zendikar limited was what was dumb because of Landfall, not Zendikar standard.

Angry Grimace

I also like how Nissa's "new" backstory retcons her being Elf Hitler

I think this might be a real deck. Still updating it:

sarkeezy4vqpp.png

Still needs a ton of testing but it's been crushing some decks. Surprisingly resilient and just plows through blockers.

Hero

Zendikar limited was what was dumb because of Landfall, not Zendikar standard.

I don't get this complaint of Landfall. It made a mechanic of people just drawing lands mid to late games into pretty big opportunities. It's not like it's in every set. Would you rather have a boring limited like ROE or AVR?

Yeef

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";173315454]I think this might be a real deck. Still updating it:

http://abload.de/img/sarkeezy4vqpp.png

Still needs a ton of testing but it's been crushing some decks. Surprisingly resilient and just plows through blockers.[/QUOTE]
I've been playing [something similar since DTK hit. I don't think it'll ever be competitive, but it's solid enough to hold it's own and not get rolled against 'real' decks.

I never got around to putting together a sideboard or updating it for Origins.

I'm surprised you're not running Tymaret though. He does tons of work against removal and adds lots of reach to burn out the last few points of damage. Plays well with Alesha as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=157489945&postcount=17103

[EDIT]Looking at your list again, just realized you're in Boros, not Mardu. That explains why you're not running the Burger King.

Man I love Cube. Channel Timetwister is just ecstatic.

Also, I finally got to actually, like for real real hardcast Emrakul with lands.

I've been playing [something similar since DTK hit. I don't think it'll ever be competitive, but it's solid enough to hold it's own and not get rolled against 'real' decks.

I never got around to putting together a sideboard or updating it for Origins.

I'm surprised you're not running Tymaret though. He does tons of work against removal and adds lots of reach to burn out the last few points of damage. Plays well with Alesha as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=157489945&postcount=17103

[EDIT]Looking at your list again, just realized you're in Boros, not Mardu. That explains why you're not running the Burger King.

Burger King is definitely sweet, but I like just having a good curve and punching through blockers as fast as possible. Relic Seeker is a pretty nice addition, Blade was kinda random before.

Angry Grimace

It's kind of fucked up, but I've been having quite a bit of luck just running regular ol' Siege Rhino decks on MTGO against all these newfangled Origins decks.

I don't think people have quite come to grips with how to play them yet.

I don't get this complaint of Landfall. It made a mechanic of people just drawing lands mid to late games into pretty big opportunities. It's not like it's in every set. Would you rather have a boring limited like ROE

I think most people would rather have the unquestioned best draft environment of all time over a bottom-ten one like ZZZ, yes.

Angry Grimace

Planeswalker (2)

2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Creature (30)

1 Atarka, World Render
1 Dragonlord Atarka
1 Dragonlord Dromoka
1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
1 Dragonlord Ojutai
1 Dragonlord Silumgar
1 Dromoka, the Eternal
4 Elvish Mystic
1 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
3 Rattleclaw Mystic
1 Shaman of the Great Hunt
1 Silumgar, the Drifting Death
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Thunderbreak Regent
1 Xenagos, God of Revels

Sorcery (4)

4 See the Unwritten

Land (24)

1 Battlefield Forge
5 Forest
4 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
1 Llanowar Wastes
3 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
1 Shivan Reef
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Yavimaya Coast

60 Cards

Sideboard (15)

2 Anger of the Gods 3 Display of Dominance 3 Feed the Clan 1 Gaea's Revenge 2 Whisperwood Elemental 4 Wild Slash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom