• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

I think the ability to potentially ramp immensely if your opponent has exiled lands (or if there are other eldrazi mechanics that support lands being exiled) makes this a pretty solid mythic -- it's efficient and it does something weird with a potential huge upside.

What it is not, unfortunately, is a great face card for a duel deck.

All colorless eldrazi had annihilator in ROE. We pretty much knew it was gone already but this does confirm it.

Colorless Eldrazi are supposed to be imposing. There is nothing scary about this new one. It doesn't incite fear or dread irregardless of its actual power level like the old ones did. For how much WOTC has been going on about invoking emotion in design, this MYTHIC Eldrazi is a huge miss which makes me inclined to believe many of the lesser Eldrazi will also be misses.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Meh, its just a mediocre as hell card as usual. Most Mythics are bad.

f0rk

Colorless Eldrazi are supposed to be imposing. There is nothing scary about this new one. It doesn't incite fear or dread irregardless of its actual power level like the old ones did. For how much WOTC has been going on about invoking emotion in design, this MYTHIC Eldrazi is a huge miss which makes me inclined to believe many of the lesser Eldrazi will also be misses.

I agree. Like in limited you'd probably pick Ulamog's Crusher over this right?

Bandini

I actually like being killed by Emrakul. He makes it quick at least. Become one with the aeons, guys.

As for Oblivion Sower, I'm going to withhold judgement until I see what new landfall cards it can combo with.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I am way off my game. I keep losing games to play mistakes like picking the wrong dude to fight with Dromoka's Command, etc.

Toxi

Banned
BFZ card from Duel Deck:

EN_jkt2vsve7u.png

So, I think the text suggests that it doesn't have to be land cards put in exile with that card. So is there going to be some sort of "exile your lands" mechanic? Or is it just playing off Delve?
This is an incredibly underwhelming card.

First off, it's boring. It's a big vanilla creature with some land ramp attached. That's it. Compare it to Hand of Emrakul; one's a common, yet they both have similar complexity. Hell, I'd say Hand of Emrakul's a more interesting card.

Second, it's tiny. It has less power than every colorless Eldrazi and only as much toughness as Ulamog's Crusher. Considering that one of the primary aspects of the Eldrazi is that they're gigantic, having the super special awesome mythic of the event deck be tiny is lame.

What are you guys going on about? This is close to a colorless Primeval Titan that's harder to kill and not as counter-able. Seems really good to me.
LOL no, not even close

Prime Time gets you any two guaranteed lands of your choice from your deck. Then it does the same thing every time it attacks. It's able to function as a Valakut engine or just grab whatever stupidly good nonbasics you stick in a deck.

Oblivion Sower gets you a few random lands from your opponents deck upon entering the battlefield and then is just a fatty. It fills none of the functions Prime Time had other than ramp, except Prime Time did ramp far better.
I completely agree. The entire thing that makes Eldrazi so awe-inspiring is that they're stupidly huge monstrosities with stupidly huge mana costs. This would be like making one of the mythic dragons of Tarkir a 2/2 without Flying.

Angry Grimace

Its not a great card by any means.

But let's not forget its a colorless Eldrazi that is playable in a normal deck and not just a special limited environment, etc.

Hero

Kind of wondering if we're going to get the ridiculous 8+ CC Eldrazi or not. This one being a mythic at 6 kind of has me doubtful?

Just seems weird if all the legendary Eldrazi are going to cost less and have worse power and toughness.

Jhriad

Kind of wondering if we're going to get the ridiculous 8+ CC Eldrazi or not. This one being a mythic at 6 kind of has me doubtful?

Just seems weird if all the legendary Eldrazi are going to cost less and have worse power and toughness.

If the Eldrazi in BFZ are going to have abilities keyed to actually being cast having prohibitively large casting costs would make them unusable. Sure, if they're big bodies you could cheat them into play with See the Unwritten but if they don't have a keyword like Annihilator and their additional functionality is attached to a cast then there's not a big incentive to play them. Either that or this fella is meant playable on his own to help you accelerate into the actual big boy named Eldrazi that will be in the set.

It almost certainly confirms it. Doing away with it is a huge mistake, as it helped the Eldrazi feel epic and dangerous.

I mean, the problem with Annihilator is that it's obnoxious -- that's the design goal, sure, but it's a really unenjoyable effect to play against. Putting that level of disruption on the legendaries is cool because they're supposed to be special and unique, but putting it on a bunch of stuff isn't really optimal.

Of course, that does leave the problem of how to make them feel properly imposing without it. I'm curious to see how that plays out.

Hasn't playing cards from Exile that were put through via other cards always been a Mythic-only ability?

Yeah, like I said, it does a weird and unusual thing (playing opponent's cards from exile) with a potentially huge upside, that definitely qualifies as mythic.

Colorless Eldrazi are supposed to be imposing. There is nothing scary about this new one. It doesn't incite fear or dread irregardless of its actual power level like the old ones did.

I will say I'm surprised there isn't some new shared keyword across all the eldrazi, even though it wouldn't be Annihilator.

I'm confident they will have some that are bigger, but unless they distorted the entire environment to be about battlecruisers again they just don't have the limited support to be shoving 8 mana guys into common or whatever.

Neoweee

Meh, its just a mediocre as hell card as usual. Most Mythics are bad.

I agree. Like in limited you'd probably pick Ulamog's Crusher over this right?

I'd pick Ulamog's Crusher over most Mythics. There's, like, 5 or 6 Mythics in Magic Origins that I'd pick over an Ulamog's Crusher-esque creature.

I still don't think it is a terrible card or a bad design. It fetches any number of lands that have been exiled for any reason on cast, so it is unbounded, uncounterable ramp. It, at the very least, acts as an interesting interaction against Delve, and possible interaction with any land or exile mechanics that the block may have. And 6 colorless mana for a 5/8 is damn playable in most limited formats.

I'm curious whether the three "Elder" Eldrazi will appear in Battle, or if they will be held off until the second set.

Jhriad

I'm curious whether the three "Elder" Eldrazi will appear in Battle, or if they will be held off until the second set.

Seemed like a lot of folks on reddit were assuming that only one of the big three is left on Zendikar and the other two are elsewhere. I don't know why they whether or not there was a basis for that assumption.

Angry Grimace

Seemed like a lot of folks on reddit were assuming that only one of the big three is left on Zendikar and the other two are elsewhere. I don't know why they whether or not there was a basis for that assumption.

The storyline is that Kozilek is hanging out, but the other two are off doing Eldrazi shit in the Blind Eternities.

There's a story piece from a year ago that said "at least one of the Titans is still on Zendikar" and people took that to mean that the other two have 100% definitely bounced.

The storyline is that Kozilek is hanging out, but the other two are off doing Eldrazi shit in the Blind Eternities.

Ulamog.

Angry Grimace

IDK all Eldrazi names sound alike to me.

that's right, I'm racist against Lovecraftian eldritch abominations.

I have no regrets

Possible hinting
kyoril asked: What are your thoughts on Oblivion Sower being able to bring lands exiled before it enters the battlefield into play?

I have many thoughts, but it is not yet time for me to share them. Fear not. When the time is right you will hear all about it.

It seems like MaRo's hinting at an article on this topic, and that probably means bringing things out of exile will be a theme of the Eldrazi this time around.

If that is the case, I wonder if we may get "target opponent exiles the top card of his or her library" as a rider on spells, like "target player loses 1 life" was in New Phyrexia.

He answers another question similarly a bit further down about how they dealt with the problem of bringing back the eldrazi in a non-ROE environment.

That's interesting, so it's on cast rather than ETB.

Maybe the exile zone is some kind of eldrazi playground and would be interesting coming behind a set that was so delve heavy.

I wonder if that would make Ashiok more playable for a little bit.

White devotion might be a thing. This is what I've been goofing around with the past few days and its done pretty well. It's rough so any ideas are welcome.

Archangel is fantastic. Its ability stacks if you can get a couple on the board and it feeds Nykthos something glorious. Kytheon's Irregulars can also be pretty impressive. Tapping Nykthos for 10 and shutting their entire board down at the beginning of their combat step is a special kind of fun and this deck gets their more often than not. It's not particularly fast but Archangel keeps things at my pace anyway.

I'm not sure what to make of Kytheon yet. It's a removal magnet so I haven't got to flip it very often and when I do, it's usually in situations where I've won already. I was desperate for some one drops but I don't know what else to put there. Soldier of the Pantheon maybe?

I've already ripped 2 Dragonshield sleeves I bought like 2 months ago, maybe they aren't as good as people say. But I also have extremely sweaty hands so that might be the problem.

OnPoint

It's funny because while being milled doesn't have a discernible effect on the battlefield, most casual people hate being milled. I'm sure it's more palatable than Annihilator, but this mechanic doesn't sound fun to me, either.

Toxi

Banned
I mean, the problem with Annihilator is that it's obnoxious -- that's the design goal, sure, but it's a really unenjoyable effect to play against. Putting that level of disruption on the legendaries is cool because they're supposed to be special and unique, but putting it on a bunch of stuff isn't really optimal.

Of course, that does leave the problem of how to make them feel properly imposing without it. I'm curious to see how that plays out.
This makes me realize just how genius Eldrazi Spawn were; not only did they help set up the huge mana costs of Rise, they also acted as a buffer against Annihilator by providing a source of cheap, expendable permanents.

Anyone found a home for managorger hydra yet?

You mean in Standard? Because I'm pretty sure people already think it's good in Commander. The issue with it in quicker formats is that it will be an immediate target for removal and won't get big enough to be much of a threat or get out of the range of red removal.

Another hint that taking things from exile will be the Eldrazi thing this set
mirrodinrestored asked: I just stumbled upon this old post from last December, sneaky sneaky MaRo! "nolongernow asked: So you shouldn't be able to retrieve your things from exile. Can opponents steal your things from exile?" "I’m more up in the air on you messing with things your opponent exiled." (Also, I've been reading your blog for a while but finally decided to make a tumblr so I can ask you stuff, keep up the good work!)

Hmm, interesting. : )

duxstar

Anyone found a home for managorger hydra yet?

I run 2 in a collected company style deck right now, it's surprising how big it gets and quickly. Right now the deck is a collection of 2 and 3 of though. It's pretty competitive against most decks, hard control with multiple vaults can be a problem though.

Angry Grimace

The problem is that it can't be something super parasitic given that duel decks only have like 4 cards from the new set.

The problem is that it can't be something super parasitic given that duel decks only have like 4 cards from the new set.

Oblivion Sower works fine on its own, but it works better with a bunch of stuff in exile. I imagine that's how the other Eldrazi that take things from exile will work.

Angry Grimace

Oblivion Sower works fine on its own, but it works better with a bunch of stuff in exile. I imagine that's how the other Eldrazi that take things from exile will work.

It barely does anything by itself, really. Its just a 5/8 with some incidental ramp.

Joe Molotov

Played a 7-player FFA draft last night, it was...something. After three hours of play, I was the second player to be knocked out with an x=14 Dreadwaters. I was targeted because I was only playing 40 cards, whereas some of the other dudes were playing like 60-70 cards(!). We did draft 4 packs, but still. I was doing well up until that point. Oh well, I'm just glad I survived long enough to cast my Displacement Wave for the lulz.

Wulfric

White devotion might be a thing. This is what I've been goofing around with the past few days and its done pretty well. It's rough so any ideas are welcome.

Deck looks sweet, I always love seeing Brimaz mainboard. He deserves more play. And double Archangels on board is indeed glorious. How are Kytheon's Irreguluars working for you?

I've already ripped 2 Dragonshield sleeves I bought like 2 months ago, maybe they aren't as good as people say. But I also have extremely sweaty hands so that might be the problem.

That's weird, how do you shuffle? Are they the new matte colors? I only use the glossy turquoise ones, but they've never ripped on me. They collect dirt easily and become harder to shuffle, but that's all the complaints I have about them.

Angry Grimace

I have the Matte ones, but I have never even used them as they are on my Modern deck and I completed the deck like a week before I went on vacation.

....so basically I have no idea why I made this post

:(

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";173534973]Kinda works like a storm combo in the elf mirror lol[/QUOTE]

I've lost to Elves, but almost all of those losses were basically me stuck with screw or flood and opponent attacking unimpeded. I think I lost one game to a guy who cast Shaman of Whatever and then Chord'd for another.

I wish I had heroic put together, cause I'd like to try the hydra as a 2-of in that deck. Its downside is it does the same thing as the other things in the deck, but for more mana. The upside is it grows a LOT faster and has trample.

That's weird, how do you shuffle? Are they the new matte colors? I only use the glossy turquoise ones, but they've never ripped on me. They collect dirt easily and become harder to shuffle, but that's all the complaints I have about them.

I think I shuffle like most people, but they aren'te matte.
I need to try the matte ones and see if they're better to play with

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";173536134]That's like saying you lost to siege rhino plus elspeth. It's definitely the plan. I'm trying to find the spot for the 4th Chord. Might cut Evolutionary Leap.[/QUOTE]

It works very infrequently. Deck isn't powerful enough for constructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom