• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

I think most people would rather have the unquestioned best draft environment of all time over a bottom-ten one like ZZZ, yes.

While I understand there were people that liked ROE draft I don't think it's unquestioned the best. Even for modern Magic sets I would think INNx3 or RTRx3 would rank higher.

Firemind

ZZZ bottom ten? At least the creatures were playable unlike the older sets. You never lived unless you equipped Vampire Nighthawk with a Machete, and/or cast Rite of Replication with kicker on Vampire Nighthawk and/or Sphinx of Lost Truths. Worldwake had Halimar Excavator which meant even more replicating fun. Sphinx of Jwar Isle was probably one of the last blue creatures with shroud and it was actually fair unlike the Geists of Saint Trafts and Ojutais of today! And who can forget everyone's favourite goblin, Goblin Guide?! Red's best one-drop and arguably red's best two-drop, Plated Geopede, in one set! And who could forget the mythical hidden Treasures?! And full art basics! And fetches!

Zendikar was glorious. Battle of Zendikar will have a tough road up ahead to match it.

While I understand there were people that liked ROE draft I don't think it's unquestioned the best. Even for modern Magic sets I would think INNx3 or RTRx3 would rank higher.

Obviously there's a lot of personal/subjective opinion at play here, but very few people would put RTRx3 ahead of ROEx3.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Planeswalker (2)

2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Creature (30)

1 Atarka, World Render
1 Dragonlord Atarka
1 Dragonlord Dromoka
1 Dragonlord Kolaghan
1 Dragonlord Ojutai
1 Dragonlord Silumgar
1 Dromoka, the Eternal
4 Elvish Mystic
1 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
3 Rattleclaw Mystic
1 Shaman of the Great Hunt
1 Silumgar, the Drifting Death
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Thunderbreak Regent
1 Xenagos, God of Revels

Sorcery (4)

4 See the Unwritten

Land (24)

1 Battlefield Forge
5 Forest
4 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
1 Llanowar Wastes
3 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
1 Shivan Reef
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Yavimaya Coast

60 Cards

Sideboard (15)

2 Anger of the Gods 3 Display of Dominance 3 Feed the Clan 1 Gaea's Revenge 2 Whisperwood Elemental 4 Wild Slash

This is hilarious. I like it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Want to take our trade discussion to email?
I only suggest that because I'm not sure PMs are working on my phone. Unless you haven't responded to my last message.

Timezones and work schedules. If I'm being honest, I posted most of my posts yesterday on my phone while taking a giant Theros block.

ultron87

BFZ card from Duel Deck:

EN_jkt2vsve7u.png

So, I think the text suggests that it doesn't have to be land cards put in exile with that card. So is there going to be some sort of "exile your lands" mechanic? Or is it just playing off Delve?

Crocodile

You and maybe two other people. Talk about a minority opinion LOL. Innistrad x3 at least is worth having a discussion over if it or ROE was better/preferred.

BFZ card from Duel Deck:

EN_jkt2vsve7u.png

So, I think the text suggests that it doesn't have to be land cards put in exile with that card. So is there going to be some sort of "exile your lands" mechanic? Or is it just playing off Delve?

What is mythic about this card? I cast a vanilla 6 mana duder and sometimes maybe I might rampant growth or two? Plus if we needed anymore evidence annihilator is gone, we have this card which seems like it would have been a perfect candidate to have that mechanic to at least give it a semblance of ferocity and danger.

ironmang

BFZ card from Duel Deck:

EN_jkt2vsve7u.png

Guessing any copies I get of these will end up on the $0.25 space on a dealer mat.

bigkrev

That's an.... uncommon. Not a mythic.

I guess it's justified in that it is an effect that has never had anything even like it printed? Also, considering they try to make the duel decks playable against each other, either the Zendikar deck will somehow be exiling it's own lands, or the Eldrazi deck.... exiles opponents lands? None of this makes any sense.

While it doesn't seem bad, it does seem rather unexciting. Like, this is the enabler for the real mythic flagship card you want to cast.

Perhaps the one interesting thing about it is that its trigger happens on casting, and not when it enters the battlefield.

ultron87

That's an.... uncommon. Not a mythic.

I guess it's justified in that it is an effect that has never had anything even like it printed? Also, considering they try to make the duel decks playable against each other, either the Zendikar deck will somehow be exiling it's own lands, or the Eldrazi deck.... exiles opponents lands? None of this makes any sense.

New Zendikar mechanic could be something like:

Land Burst - Exile an untapped land you control. Return that land to battlefield tapped at the beginning of your next upkeep step. {Cardname} gets +2/+2.

What are you guys going on about? This is close to a colorless Primeval Titan that's harder to kill and not as counter-able. Seems really good to me.

Wulfric

So the cards are only exiled when you cast Oblivion Sower? I get the feeling they wanted an annihilator-esque effect, but this card would be much more interesting if the effect triggered whenever Sower attacks.

I'm not sure if standard wants a six drop creature, even if you get a land or two from it occasionally.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Avenger of Zendikar being in the clash pack seems to confirm that Landfall is coming back in BFZ?

ultron87

Maybe the Eldrazi theme is messing with stuff from Exile? Since they're from the Blind Eternities and all that. Rosewater would hate that though.

Avenger of Zendikar being in the clash pack seems to confirm that Landfall is coming back in BFZ?

Not necessarily. They put on-theme reprint cards in the Duel Decks even if they're not in the upcoming set. Like Sun Titan in Heroes vs Monsters or Niv Mizzet 1 in Izzet vs Golgari.

kirblar

So the cards are only exiled when you cast Oblivion Sower? I get the feeling they wanted an annihilator-esque effect, but this card would be much more interesting if the effect triggered whenever Sower attacks.

I'm not sure if standard wants a six drop creature, even if you get a land or two from it occasionally.
Yes, but you get to pick among any of that player's Exiled cards.

Matriox

BFZ card from Duel Deck:

EN_jkt2vsve7u.png

Get all of those lands from a big Villainous Wealth you couldn't use otherwise :p

Guys, guys.

What if the Eldrazi gimmick this block is milling?

Though seriously, Oblivion Sower is unexciting as a mythic rare, but a 5/8 for 6 that has a decent chance of getting you a land and possibly much more isn't bad. Nowhere near Primeval Titan, but the Titans were crazy good.

Anyway, not too much happens in Liliana's story. She encounters Raven Man on Ravnica, who taunts her about how she brings destruction everywhere and hints that he was the one who manipulated Kothoped into asking her to get the Chain Veil, and Liliana decides to just keep going after the remaining demons from her contract. Raven Man also says that Garruk is still hunting planeswalkers, which is weird.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A colorless 5/8 is pretty good on its own actually.

red13th

It's not evasive so it isn't comparable to Primeval Titan as a beater, it can be better than Titan as a ramp-enabling creature but doesn't tutor utility lands. And triggers on cast, so it's useless when reanimated/blinked. I'm not crazy about Prime Time in my cube tbh and I don't like this Eldrazi very much at first glance, maybe it plays better than it looks.

Come to think of it, giving all of the Eldrazi "on cast" abilities instead of enter the battlefield or attack abilities would be a good way to discourage reanimating them without including the library shuffling clause.

ZZZ bottom ten? At least the creatures were playable unlike the older sets.

Yeah, I found the format just miserable. It's much easier to screw up if you don't just draft giant stacks of bears and if you do then the actual games are super boring. M12 and AVR are worse, but otherwise you probably have to go back to Masques to get a worse format, for my purposes.

What is mythic about this card? I cast a vanilla 6 mana duder and sometimes maybe I might rampant growth or two?

I think the ability to potentially ramp immensely if your opponent has exiled lands (or if there are other eldrazi mechanics that support lands being exiled) makes this a pretty solid mythic -- it's efficient and it does something weird with a potential huge upside.

What it is not, unfortunately, is a great face card for a duel deck.

Plus if we needed anymore evidence annihilator is gone, we have this card which seems like it would have been a perfect candidate to have that mechanic to at least give it a semblance of ferocity and danger.

All colorless eldrazi had annihilator in ROE. We pretty much knew it was gone already but this does confirm it.

I think the flavor on that mechanic is a home run. Eldrazi are annihilating land mass only to add it as fuel to the larger eldrazi. I like this card a lot from that perspective. I could also see them returning exiled permanents as face down creatures that can't be turned face up. Like feeding on permanents to make eldrazi drones. But that could be pretty broken.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Come to think of it, giving all of the Eldrazi "on cast" abilities instead of enter the battlefield or attack abilities would be a good way to discourage reanimating them without including the library shuffling clause.

I think a better way of doing that is not making them 15/15 with Protection from Colored Spells, Flying and Annihilator 6

I think a better way of doing that is not making them 15/15 with Protection from Colored Spells, Flying and Annihilator 6

I said "on attack", so that excludes annihilator >_>

Anyway, you know what, I'll take back my previous "but seriously". I predict that the Eldrazi will have a milling theme, exiling the top of the library, with some cards taking advantage of exiled cards (including those exiled by previous Eldrazi). This carries the flavor of them being Lovecraftian horrors without being backbreaking.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
They just can't fuck up Eldrazi. If they're so scared of themselves that this is the shit they can come up with at mythic, then they all need to retire. Emrakul is ridiculous and ridiculously fun. This one is dull, underpowered and I think it actually killed my dog.

OnPoint

Maybe the Eldrazi theme is messing with stuff from Exile? Since they're from the Blind Eternities and all that. Rosewater would hate that though.

Ashiok does a similar thing. I don't think it would be an issue.

All colorless eldrazi had annihilator in ROE. We pretty much knew it was gone already but this does confirm it.

It almost certainly confirms it. Doing away with it is a huge mistake, as it helped the Eldrazi feel epic and dangerous. Now it's just like "Oh exile mill to maybe get stuff? Whatever". This new ability makes no sense. They're supposed to destroy, not create something out of nothing.

BFZ card from Duel Deck:

EN_jkt2vsve7u.png

What happened to you, Satyr Wayfinder :-(

Oblivion was not the way to seek :-(

Hero

Eh, it's not a bad card but I don't think it's particular exciting as the first preview of the set.

My guess is we're going to see Eldrazi cards being high in value in terms of getting more for your mana. Wouldn't be surprised to see effects similar to stealing other cards out of the other game zones.

Excited to see what new allies we'll be getting.

Jhriad

What are you guys going on about? This is close to a colorless Primeval Titan that's harder to kill and not as counter-able. Seems really good to me.

Primeval Titan has trample and if he lands he always hits lands and hits them when he attacks in addition to the ETB trigger. That thing is nowhere near Primeval Titan levels of good. That said, it's a solid card and probably interacts well with whatever the land mechanic happens to be.

Also...
cardart_D16_Liliana-Interstitial-7.jpg

Great art or greatest art? It's no Valor in Akros, that's for sure.

Emrakul is ridiculous and ridiculously fun.

Only if you're the one with Emrakul.

G.ZZZ

Oblivion Sower can easily put 3-4 lands into play after a DTT. 6 is too much for legacy though even if the effect can be really strong with DRS, RiP and DTT.

Firemind

3-4 lands how?

Standard only has 5 fetches and no Thought Scours and Modern it's basically unplayable. Playing that thing after a DTT resolves sounds like a losing proposition too. And what are you going to do with all those lands? :lol

Neoweee

I think the ability to potentially ramp immensely if your opponent has exiled lands (or if there are other eldrazi mechanics that support lands being exiled) makes this a pretty solid mythic -- it's efficient and it does something weird with a potential huge upside.

What it is not, unfortunately, is a great face card for a duel deck.

Hasn't playing cards from Exile that were put through via other cards always been a Mythic-only ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom