• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

red13th

Amazing Serra Angel. Nice that they have Guay and Nielsen, plus Iona's outstanding new artwork, it sure is a beautiful collection.

EDIT: Also, old school flavour text, so good, I love this!

Yeef

w38QWaI.jpg
From Twitter.

Hero

As much as I love the original art and would've liked it for the iconic aspect, I love Rebecca's art so I'm really happy with this too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, I'm not unhappy.

Speaking of Guay, I find it funny that whoever advertised the MTGO promos accidentally used the Guay promo instead of the new FNM promo and as a result, MTGO has to give out both.

Built GW Constellation, Abzan Rally, UR Artifacts, and Jeskai Ascendency Tokens/Tutelage for testing at our Tuesday thing. All 4 are fantastically fun and powerful.

I'm only really missing the Jaces for building Cuneo's UR Mill, so I'm thinking just building mill into the tokens deck is a good fix. And it is. Triggering Tutelage with Ascendency triggers and Artificier's Epiphany is just beast mode. The tokens side of things isn't really hurt by gluing the tutelage package onto it, either.

GW Constellation is a little slow to get going, but I added a 2-of Helm of the Gods and a 1-of Heliod to help speed things up. The vigilance is invaluable and slapping the Helm onto an Angel token makes the deck actually able to close the game out before you deck yourself.

Abzan Rally is incredibly fun and I hope it isn't hated out of the meta.

UR Artifacts makes me sad, because it's good, but I have so many other things I want to play in addition to it. But I'm just not spikey enough to main this deck.

I also really want to build a Hardened Scales/Managorger/Hangarback Walker/Chasm Skulker package stapled onto a UG turbofog mill deck. I think there might be something there. Might.

I was playing Lantern Control on Cockatrice and some dude was sandbagging a lethal Galvanic Blast for like 5 turns, then left the room after winning game one.

Weird.

bigkrev

Matriox

I LOVE M13 limited so much, but know that my playgroup would not be able to handle drafting it in Japanese :(

If Gatecrash came back in stock i'd probably jump on a box though

I'd just print out an English visual spoiler and put a couple packets in the middle of the table lol.

bigkrev

New for MTGO: Legendary Cube. http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/announcing-legendary-cube-2015-08-05

It's a cube where all the creatures are legendary. The more interesting thing to come out is that they will have actual prize packs for these events
egendary Cube Prize Packs will have cards from the newly released Commander (2015 Edition), as well as Commander (2014 Edition), Commander (2013 Edition), Magic the Gathering Commander, Conspiracy, Planechase (2012 Edition), and Commander's Arsenal sets (the 56 cards included from Commander 2015 will make up the vast majority of the ones that are new to Magic Online). These are all multiplayer products, but non-Commander players will find sought-after cards in Prize Packs that will help in Legacy and Vintage play too. Prize Packs won’t be purchasable in the store and won’t be tradeable, so the only way to get them will be to play the new Legendary Cube Draft.

Looks like a new art of Deathrite Shaman, which I guess is going to be in the new Commander set

Just made a new build of Lantern Control with Simian Spirit Guides and Infernal Tutor, seems pretty strong so far lol

Looks like a new art of Deathrite Shaman, which I guess is going to be in the new Commander set

How could it be DRS if all the creatures are legendary?

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174271356]Just made a new build of Lantern Control with Simian Spirit Guides and Infernal Tutor, seems pretty strong so far lol
[/QUOTE]

The packs contain cards not in the cube- they specifically mention "56 cards from Commander 2015" (which would be most of the new cards, and some reprints with new art). These aren't the packs you draft with, they are 6-card prize packs you can win.

OnPoint

The story of Chandra being made abbot, her not wanting to be abbot, then maybe wanting to be abbot, then Jace and Gideon telling her to come with them, then her definitely wanting to be abbot and telling them to piss off in a heavy Cockney accent. Pretty eh, and Kaladesh is still nothing but volcanoes. Also odd that the presumably monored monks would stick to tradition so much and silently harrumph Chandra when she does her own thing.

This story is on Regatha, not Kaladesh, isn't it?

Edit: Also, it points to us getting a Chandra, Abbot of Flame card, or something like that. Hopefully they give her something of an eternal playable card at this point.

This story is on Regatha, not Kaladesh, isn't it?

Edit: Also, it points to us getting a Chandra, Abbot of Flame card, or something like that. Hopefully they give her something of an eternal playable card at this point.

Chandra, Abbot of Flame - 7RR
+1: Discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
-6: Deal 2 damage to target creature.
-20: Deal 1 damage to each player. Each player dealt damage this way gets an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, discard a card. If you do, draw a card."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There are enough playable legendary creatures for a cube? I guess if its Kamigawa heavy

Honestly not sure how that works. There won't be any creatures below like 4 CMC as the majority of legends are 4+...

I can only guess at this being a test-run for letting Randy Buehler make theme cubes for MTGO.

bigkrev

Honestly not sure how that works. There won't be any creatures below like 4 CMC as the majority of legends are 4+...

I can only guess at this being a test-run for letting Randy Buehler make theme cubes for MTGO.

Yeah, it's going to be strange. Gatherer tells me that there are about 150 legendary creatures that cost 3 or less (which is about 1/4th of all legends in Magic's history), but that includes plenty of stuff that wouldn't even be considered for the cube, like tribal lords.

Angry Grimace

The announcement-within-an-announcement is that you can't buy the Commander products separately on MTGO anymore.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That's not necessarily a bad thing. Commander products on MTGO are terrible EV at MSRP, so nobody buys them, so the few good cards in them end up with ridiculous prices:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Commander+2014/Teferi+Temporal+Archmage#online

And tying it to cube drafting isn't going to alleviate that problem one bit, considering you have to win games to get paid out in packs of 6 cards. But now it's there is the added bonus of fucking over people who just want to buy their favorite deck and you know, play with it. Though, to be fair, unless I'm missing it, I'm not seeing where Commander 2015 won't be sold on MTGO.

Angry Grimace

99% of the cards in Commander are useless things to own on MTGO anyways.

And tying it to cube drafting isn't going to alleviate that problem one bit, considering you have to win games to get paid out in packs of 6 cards. But now it's there is the added bonus of fucking over people who just want to buy their favorite deck and you know, play with it. Though, to be fair, unless I'm missing it, I'm not seeing where Commander 2015 won't be sold on MTGO.

Events (drafts, etc) put more cards into the economy than people who buy cards in the stores. Even if you can't buy them in the store this time around, I'd be willing to bet that there will be more copies of the C15 cards floating around than C14 just by being prizes from drafts.

Sure, ideally it supplements, not replaces. But even if it is a replacement, I think it actually makes the singles cheaper.

Angry Grimace

It should - there are going to be copies of the big cards from all of the Commander sets in the prize packs, which should theoretically include Toxic Deluge, etc.

bigkrev

Full art lands in, NO Fetchlands in Battle for Zendikar
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/pos...-all-love-your-work-secondly-any-chance#notes

homestuck413 asked: First of all love your work. Secondly: Any chance for new full art lands in battle for zendikar or the other 5 fetches?

I’ve been getting these two questions about Battle for Zendikar quite a bit, so I think it’s time I finally answered them.

First, yes, Battle for Zendikar will be the return of full-art lands. I’ve seen them and you’re all in for a real treat.

Second, Battle for Zendikar does have a cool rare cycle of dual lands, but they’re brand new designs and not the Zendikar fetch lands.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
From Maro:

First, yes, Battle for Zendikar will be the return of full-art lands. I’ve seen them and you’re all in for a real treat.

Second, Battle for Zendikar does have a cool rare cycle of dual lands, but they’re brand new designs and not the Zendikar fetch lands.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/125946926763/first-of-all-love-your-work-secondly-any-chance

Nice to see full art basics confirmed. Very curious about thew new rare cycle of duals. He doesn't specifically rule out Zendikar fetches or enemy/ally manlands also being in the set, however.

bigkrev

Because it will be fun, here are the TCG mid prices for the 5 Zendikar fetches

Mesa: 32
Verdant: 38
Tarn: 57
Misty: 34
Flats: 28

Lets see what they are in 24 hours!

Angry Grimace

Wow. Something must be going on behind the scenes to let Maro spoil basically the two biggest announcements in BFZ on his fucken blog.

kirblar

Wow. Something must be going on behind the scenes to let Maro spoil basically the two biggest announcements in BFZ on his fucken blog.
They already let the cat out of the bag on full-art lands via the set size.

The enemy fetch deconfirm needed to happen as early as possible.

Yeef

Commander decks are enemy colored this year. It'd be cool if we saw the fetches there at least. (Probably not the case).

Angry Grimace

They already let the cat out of the bag on full-art lands via the set size.

The enemy fetch deconfirm needed to happen as early as possible.

I mean, I purchased a playset of Scalding Tarn the day ORI spoiled enemy pain land reprints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom