• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Really sad the finals are so blah.
This R/U deck looks like it mulligans really poorly. Not enough action spells

Mulligan to 3 in game 5 FFS

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";173882514]The sad part is that that three card hand was probably his best one.[/QUOTE]

If Larson didn't have the 1 mana burn spell, he actually had a decent shot at winning

duxstar

That moment when you realize the answer's you were looking for; for the deck you wanted were right in front of you.

G/W aggro had a great matchup, I just couldn't ever beat control with languish, turns out Ajani Mentor of heroes pumps them above a languish, and Evolutionary leap just out draws them sometimes.

Looks like I'm back to playing standard with an under the radar g/w deck that has game against all of pro tour decks (3x unravel of the aether, and dromoka's command deal with mono red and hangarback)

duxstar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";173883186]So now my job is to build a deck that doesn't lose to Searing Blood if I want to do well in San Diego.[/QUOTE]

Dromoka's command and Courser of Kruphix best anti red cards! Dromoka's command might spike in response to Exquisite Firecraft.

You're allowed to be happy when you win the Pro Tour.

This better not turn into another round of butthurt whining on social media because he dared to be happy about winning.

Jhriad

This is completely wrong.

In a true mirror match? Especially when it's a teammate that is running basically the same deck and you are probably well aware of the numbers of specific cards in addition to their sideboard options? It's certainly an unforgiving matchup and a lot of mental math but it doesn't seem like it's magnitudes above some other matchups. In that way I guess I could understand the argument that burn/aggro mirrors feel a bit more like a competitive chess match in that small errors in play are magnified. I don't know that this is particularly limited to the red mirrors though just that it might be slightly more emphasized because of their ability to dome you for so much damage. And yes, assuming they're players of equivalent skill a lot of it feels like it comes down to who gets the better combination of gas to fuel barring mistakes from either player. Could be said of any match though.

A more asymmetric "mirror" like the Michael Flores match that was on camera yesterday seems a lot more intriguing and stressful to me because he's attacking you on an additional axis that you don't have a great response to.

Maybe you should watch some and understand.

I'm more than willing to learn and admit to many deficiencies, not just in Magic, but I don't learn much from a declarative "You're wrong. Go read a book." Now, such a statement in verbal discourse might be fine as we have tools like inflection to help clarify the intent but plain text doesn't have that liberty. Without any verbal cues to appropriate intent the above sentence just sounds rather, well, coarse would be a friendly way to put it.

Also, watch the Sperling/Cox game 3. An example of finding the only line of play that seals your doom 10 turns later.

I was running errands for part of the day yesterday so I'm not sure if I caught this one. I'll make sure to go back and check it out.

duxstar

It was a best-of-5 series at the Pro Tour Finals. It's not like he was dancing on the table because his opponent got mana screwed at FNM.

From What I saw he shook his fist and pumped it like he has just won this grueling hard fought match, made a dude bro "yahhh" then I laughed and turned it off. I hate winning like that and feel like crap when I do.

From What I saw he shook his fist and pumped it like he has just won this grueling hard fought match, made a dude bro "yahhh" then I laughed and turned it off. I hate winning like that and feel like crap when I do.

Come back and tell me how you feel after you finish playing three straight days of the hardest Magic of your life and win the biggest tournament in your career.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
If I was in the finals and my opponent mulled to 3 each game, I would be A-OK with it. Like zorro said, 3 days of hardcore Magic, against the very best. He already proved his worth and ultimately, luck was on his side.

Hero

He didn't rub it in his opponents face, his words to him directly after the handshake was "I'm sorry" and the guy shows some excitement and happiness like a human being and he's a douchebag? This isn't a local FNM, this is high level competitive play for the days in a row.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
He didn't rub it in his opponents face, his words to him directly after the handshake was "I'm sorry" and the guy shows some excitement and happiness like a human being and he's a douchebag? This isn't a local FNM, this is high level competitive play for the days in a row.
This conversation occurs after every big tournament win (because most MTG players don't actually have human feelings)

Wulfric

The Pro Tour/Grand Prix schedule for 2016 is up now. Of note is 3 legacy GPs, two of which are happening on the same day (Columbus, OH & Prague). I figured they might want to spread the GPs out to give legacy players a chance to attend all three, but apparently not. Some standard GPs overlap, although that becomes less of a problem when there is 20 of them in the season. At least Legacy is still getting some love from Wizards.

Yeef

This conversation occurs after every big tournament win (because most MTG players don't actually have human feelings)
I'm always curious about what percentage of the [internet] Magic community plays MTGO exclusively. Especially when things like this or the Ari Lax thing come up. I feel like some of these people have never had interactions with real live humans.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm always curious about what percentage of the [internet] Magic community plays MTGO exclusively. Especially when things like this or the Ari Lax thing come up. I feel like some of these people have never had interactions with real live humans.

Just go to FNM and try and hold a normal conversation. You'll find out pretty fast.

Yeef

Just go to FNM and try and hold a normal conversation. You'll find out pretty fast.
I'm a T.O. I run FNM and plenty of other events every week. Never had any trouble with conversation with any of the players.

That said, I've never really gone to big events like GP's or the like.

kirblar

I'm a T.O. I run FNM and plenty of other events every week. Never had any trouble with conversation with any of the players.

That said, I've never really gone to big events like GP's or the like.
That guy who tried to "get" his opponent on an obviously not-missed mana trigger?

That's what people are used to dealing with day in and day out.

Yeef

That guy who tried to "get" his opponent on an obviously not-missed mana trigger?

That's what people are used to dealing with day in and day out.
We get one-timers like that at PPTQ's, but even then, it's a very small number of the players.

f0rk

Might play game day but only really have the cards for Heroic. SCG people are all playing Bant but I'm not sure that's correct anymore in the post PT meta, 4 mana confluence is a lot. Might just play UW and load up of Ordeal of Heliods

It's hard to figure out which Standard decks were the real top performers at the PT because a lot of people like LSV and Brad Nelson were scooping their friends in for pro points reasons in the last couple rounds.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The 'team' aspect of professional MtG is going to either bite WotC in the ass, or force them to create leagues. It's beginning to head down a dangerous path.

Wulfric

I like Nyx-Fleece Ram for casual play, but it's 1 CMC too expensive for modern, most likely.

But if you're playing a lifegain deck, by all means get a fourth copy. And you get to play more cards with sweet Terese Nielsen artwork. :)

Wulfric

"15 new Magic cards (55 for the set in total)"

Ooh, can't wait to see what the next True-Name Nemesis/Containment Priest will look like. It seems like there should be an article to go along with the product info, did they just post it early?

Wichu

So, how good is Dromoka's Command right now?

I was going to play a Rally deck this FNM and Game Day, but I feel Command would help against Ensoul and mono-red.

Alternatively, I think I could put together a respectable Abzan CoCo deck...

So, how good is Dromoka's Command right now?

I was going to play a Rally deck this FNM and Game Day, but I feel Command would help against Ensoul and mono-red.

Alternatively, I think I could put together a respectable Abzan CoCo deck...

It's run pretty frequently now, exactly for the reasons you said. Plus, it's good against Courser of Kruphix.

Wichu

It's run pretty frequently now, exactly for the reasons you said. Plus, it's good against Courser of Kruphix.

Basing it on the French team's decks from the PT, could Dromoka's Command shore up Rally's weakness to hyper-aggro?

Thinking about something like this:

4 Nantuko Husk
4 Satyr Wayfinder
3 Mogis's Marauder
3 Elvish Visionary
3 Grim Haruspex
4 Liliana, Heretical Healer
2 Minister of Pain
2 Brain Maggot
2 Nyx Weaver
4 Rally the Ancestors
4 Collected Company
3 Dromoka's Command
3 Forest
1 Plains
2 Swamp
3 Llanowar Wastes
4 Caves of Koilos
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
2 Temple of Malady
1 Temple of Silence
1 Temple of Plenty

1 Brain Maggot
3 Hornet Nest
3 Anafenza, the Foremost
2 Reclamation Sage
1 Fleshbag Marauder
2 Thoughtseize
3 Arashin Cleric

I want to add a fourth Command, but not sure what to cut... It might not be worth it to keep the creature count high for Collected Company.

...I do currently only own 3 copies of Company, so that's always an option. I'm planning on getting the Clash Pack for the alternate arts, so I will have a fourth one at some point.

Do they mean enemy colored like the Khans clans, or 2-color pairs?

The former has always been referred to as wedges. They mean enemy two-color pairs.

Anyway, random thought, I think half of Rescue from the Underworld could be an interesting way to put "flickering" into red.

Ashen Rebirth - R
Instant
As an additional cost to cast Ashen Rebirth, sacrifice a creature.
Return the sacrificed card to the battlefield under your control at the beginning of your next upkeep. It gains haste until end of turn.
Live your life until you die, then live again.

Retrigger enter the battlefield effects, escape debilitating auras and effects, and you can't use it to untap an attacker to block.

Variations:

Phoenixblood Immolation - 1R
Sorcery
Target creature's controller sacrifices it, then returns that card to the battlefield under his or her control at the beginning of his or her next upkeep with two additional +1/+1 counters on it.

Gaia's Consumption - 1RR
Sorcery
For each creature, that creature's controller sacrifices it, then returns that card to the battlefield under his or her control at the beginning of his or her next upkeep.
What is swallowed by the earth is returned purified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom