• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

The writing seemed to be on the wall for both of these for quite a while now, but the full-art lands thing really pisses me off. If they're going to put them in the second-safest set they've released in the last ten years, there's no excuse not to put these in every block now. And now they've burned the next opportunity to print these on the same fucking plane as on the last set. Sigh.

Wow. Something must be going on behind the scenes to let Maro spoil basically the two biggest announcements in BFZ on his fucken blog.

Negative announcements aren't really announcements. They need to spoil that there are no fetches before the actual promotion starts so people's excitement isn't overwhelmed by disappointment. Meanwhile the full-art lands are something that theoretically excites people but actually provides literally no information about the set.

OnPoint

When do the Khans fetches cycle out? I expect that the set that rotates in as those goes out will have the enemy fetches.

Matriox

Slowly but surely building a budget jund deck for Modern, mostly everything except liliana and tarmogoyf, but I had some left over paypal money so I nabbed my set of Verdant Catacombs. Not taking a chance on waiting, hoping it pays off.

ultron87

More Zendikar full arts feels like such a waste. I'll still enjoy them, but... Kaladesh.

The Origins Clash Pack and the way it kind of ignores market value makes me more hopeful for the enemy fetch lands to show up in a non-booster product.

Not sure how much I care about full art lands. I mean, it seems like practically everyone will be using them.

The only thing that matters about basics is the art, and full-art lands have more of it. Therefore full arts are superior until double-sided basics come out.

Besides, full arts have most of the nicest art anyway.

kirblar

More Zendikar full arts feels like such a waste. I'll still enjoy them, but... Kaladesh.

The Origins Clash Pack and the way it kind of ignores market value makes me more hopeful for the enemy fetch lands to show up in a non-booster product.
Too much lead time- makes the Clash Pack a crapshoot value wise since it's made a year ahead of time.

Zocano

John Avon's full art lands are still the best and only worthy full art lands.

262-MLC4675646568_072013-O.jpg

This is my favorite land art ever.

I was playing that last night. It's durdley for the first 4 turns BADLY if you don't have the herald on turn 2. And it's incredibly fun.

Wulfric

Well, I would be lying if I said I was pleased about this news. I've been using an abundance of shocks in place of Catacombs in my modern deck, and now they'll be more expensive by the end of the week. Maybe they'll show up in the commander decks, considering the precedence the Origins clash pack set with Windswept Heath.

OnPoint

Fuck it.
I'm not buying in.
They'll reprint them in the future.
Fuck this secondary market.
And fuck WotC for dragging their feet on important reprints.

bigkrev

Fuck it.
I'm not buying in.

I mean, they obviously will reprint them. And for the most part, you can sub in the Khans fetchlands in modern and be fine, unless you are a straight 2 colored enemy pair deck (like Twin)

kirblar

Fuck it.
I'm not buying in.
That's what I did with the Onslaught ones.

Just don't be dumb and sell/trade off your shock/temple/ally fetch/etc playsets at rotation - that's the bad thing people do that bites them 5 years later.

Hero

That's what I did with the Onslaught ones.

Just don't be dumb and sell/trade off your shock/temple/ally fetch/etc playsets at rotation - that's the bad thing people do that bites them 5 years later.

Do you think Temples will actually be usable outside of Standard?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, they obviously will reprint them. And for the most part, you can sub in the Khans fetchlands in modern and be fine, unless you are a straight 2 colored enemy pair deck (like Twin)

Or Jund. Or Grixis Control.

You kind of need Verdant Catacombs/Scalding Tarn, especially with Blood Moon existing.

Hero

They have niche play in Combo in Modern right now. Just good to hold since they're not going to sell for much now anyway. Manabases are king.

Yeah I was just gonna get a set at rotation, can't image they'll go for more than 3 per.

bigkrev

They have niche play in Combo in Modern right now. Just good to hold since they're not going to sell for much now anyway. Manabases are king.

Now that Scry is evergreen, they make sense as a future standard reprint as well. I'm actually picking up some right now to complete my set of 40.

Land is always a good investment. Even just cheap jank. I don't mind building a deck for the kids with common/uncommon dual lands and you never know what color combos you'll need.

EDIT: With that said, I only bothered to get the Verdant Catacombs and Marsh Flats. :\ I was counting on reprints for the rest.

OnPoint

So the ZEN fetches have doubled on SCG. Holy fuck I totally dodged the bullet there.
Yep. The second that news came out you had only several hours left to buy in. I made my choice. Not sad. I have my set of Marsh Flats and one Verdant Catacomb. I'll be fine with that for now.

ElyrionX

Yep. The second that news came out you had only several hours left to buy in. I made my choice. Not sad. I have my set of Marsh Flats and one Verdant Catacomb. I'll be fine with that for now.

I'm just glad I took the plunge on the enemy fetches I needed for my EDH decks because I thought the downside risk to prices if they were reprinted was not as much as the upside risk if they were not. Sure, it's just one Misty and one Verdant but still feels good. And then I still have the Tarns and Mesas from when KTK first released and their prices plunged.

YES to new full art lands. I can't wait!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174313176]Clearly the best:

2487jyxn.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Really?
What about this happy glowy land:

255_forest1_okcp1gylfr.jpg

SO MUCH BETTER :D

MjFrancis

I've procured no enemy colored fetchlands and I have no regrets. They will be reprinted and they will be cheaper - we've simply established where they won't be for the time being.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I got to meet Scott Fischer at Gen Con. I had an old Corrupt on me and asked him to sign it. But I prefaced it with, "Can you just do something stupid on it as well as sign it?"

This was the result:

He was such an awesome guy to talk to, and had nothing but amazing praise for the people at Gen Con and other gaming cons in the world.

I've procured no enemy colored fetchlands and I have no regrets. They will be reprinted and they will be cheaper - we've simply established where they won't be for the time being.

Basically how I feel.

Merfolk and Death and Taxes are enough to satiate my modern desire.

I played duel Commander last night.
My friend brought the new mono white Planeswalker Commander deck. It sure didn't amaze me. Kinda sucked, but then again Prossh is pretty broken and Jund colors have no shortage of answers.

YES to new full art lands. I can't wait!

Really?
What about this happy glowy land:

255_forest1_okcp1gylfr.jpg

SO MUCH BETTER :D

The colors are nice and this is just me being picky as an illustrator, but I'm not a big fan of the shapes in this one. They pull you away from the focal point in a way I don't really like. If you had basically the same image without the big branch in the foreground on top, I might like it almost as much as the Veronique one.

But the Veronique one is hugely inventive with some cool extra colors squeezed in, everything about it is wonderful. Other than Avon's lighting, his is a pretty typical fantasy illustration with a pretty basic analagous color scheme. It's nice and it works for the most part, but I don't get the feeling Avon went too far out of his way for it either.

Everybody loves Avon, but as an art guy I'm most consistently impressed with Noah Bradley's lands. Unfortunately when I talked to Veronique Meignaud she wasn't a huge fan of working on anything other than independent stuff(similar to Peter Mohrbacher), but it seems like Wizards has been able to convince her to come back. Hopefully we get some more full arts from her.

MjFrancis

Basically how I feel.

Merfolk and Death and Taxes are enough to satiate my modern desire.
I am running off-color fetches where possible for my current decks. I'll probably build budget Naya Zoo (no Goyfs) or Naya Kiki Chord next on account of being able to get on-color fetches for those decks sooner rather than later. Abzan Company will have to wait, but I'm missing a heck of a lot more for that archetype. I've never bought the lands for a BG/x deck and I have yet to pick up Abrupt Decays, which just continue to inch up in price since they rotated from Standard.

MjFrancis

I played duel Commander last night.
My friend brought the new mono white Planeswalker Commander deck. It sure didn't amaze me. Kinda sucked, but then again Prossh is pretty broken and Jund colors have no shortage of answers.
I was happy with last year's mono black Commander deck. It holds it own in the playgroup I'm in with just a few changes. Prossh is probably the most powerful Commander from the 2013 series.

From this article, Standard has a surprisingly high variety of decks now, doesn't it? I mean, look at that second deck: a mill deck that uses red for half of its card draw! And it's winning! We're also in a Standard where a turn 1 Ornithopter can frighten people, and Demonic Pact is actually helping people win. EDIT: Plus supposed junk rare Rally the Ancestors being the core of a major deck.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174437079]Yeah, this has to be the most diverse Standard rotation of all time, right? If not, it's gotta be up there.[/QUOTE]
Be glad we don't have the PT Mulligan rule in play right now - it would hurt things a lot because it helps the Burn/Artifact decks a ton.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Some guy playing Grixis Control just shame-conceded a really great match against my Twin deck because he misclicked a Snapcaster instead of a Remand. Same dude, by the way, made me play out the combo on MTGO in case I fucked up, which of course I did (he couldn't kill Exarch with an extra turn anyways though).

Zocano

I really hate getting back into standard during the double core-set period/right before a new block. Still just being cautious cause I don't want to invest in a bunch of decks that, from the looks of it, not be around in a few weeks.

I would love to play U/R Artifact but it looks like several of the core pieces just won't be here (Shrapnel Blast, Ornithopter, Ensoul) so I'm just waiting for BFZ to try my yearly "buy back in to standard and play for 0 weeks and then never play again" routine. I should really finish up my cube.

Actually what I should really do is give Cockatrice a spin. FF14 has me on a leash right now, though. Hardest part of playing magic consistently for me is just that I give video games more of my time and I only ever play cube draft with local friends nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom