• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an announcement for retailers. Is that usually how WotC handles it (announcing to retailers first via website)?

No, there's usually a more spruced up announcement made for everyone. The only way we learn about products before that is usually through trademark filings.

That's an announcement for retailers. Is that usually how WotC handles it (announcing to retailers first via website)?

Usually they arrange public product announcements to come shortly before the margin they need to give to retail, but occasionally there are some crossed wires. That probably means there's a formal announcement in the next week or two; they have to announce these things with 3 months' lead time so there's not a lot of time left to hit November.

Not a functional reprint.

The original design file for the first Commander product had Snow duals in it. They ended up not printing them for myriad reasons; I would imagine mostly because they don't want tournament players snatching them all up.

ElyrionX

Speaking of duals, do you guys also know of other players who would willingly spend a ton on foils for their EDH deck but refuse to buy duals because they're too expensive. Duals actually increase the power of a deck whereas foils do absolutely nothing.

ironmang

They can't have functional reprints either.

They could reprint any card at any time. They've already removed some cards from the original list so why couldn't they just abolish it altogether?

Speaking of duals, do you guys also know of other players who would willingly spend a ton on foils for their EDH deck but refuse to buy duals because they're too expensive. Duals actually increase the power of a deck whereas foils do absolutely nothing.

Easier to pickup some random foils over a long period than plop down possibly hundreds to get the duals for all of their edh decks. Plus it's not like those small percentage points that duals would provide are important in casual magic.

y2dvd

I was able to trade for an Underground Sea that's solely for my EDH deck lol. I just need Bayou and Tropical Island now. And the rest of the fetches to be reprinted. Most people don't realize you can run whatever fetches you want since there are no mana symbols on them.

ElyrionX

They could reprint any card at any time. They've already removed some cards from the original list so why couldn't they just abolish it altogether?

Tell that to WotC.

Easier to pickup some random foils over a long period than plop down possibly hundreds to get the duals for all of their edh decks. Plus it's not like those small percentage points that duals would provide are important in casual magic.

That's not how the people I know spend on foils. I'm talking about stuff like Academy Rector foil or Niv Mizzet champion foil.

And duals are insane, even in EDH. The synergy with fetches and with cards like Nature's Lore provides so much mana fixing you just won't find anywhere else.

bigkrev

They actually closed the loopholes on the list in 2011 (which allowed them to do things like put foil Mox Diamond and Masticore in FTV Relics). At this point, the only way it's happening is if Hasbro takes control from Wizards, or if the game is actually killed, and they do one final set.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174035343]Man, my group fell apart so I dunno if I'll be able to go to GP SD anymore :-([/QUOTE]

My wife is pressuring me to play in it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The biggest problem is that I currently don't have $75.

Those student loans are a bitch, man.

Discovered this card. It seems useful for comment responses.
Image.ashx

mm_wk23_303_cardart_sicken.jpg

Oh... Well that sucks.
Make them artifact lands. Bam, problem solved.

I want them to release legendary duals so bad. We could call them Cube Lands, because we'd all put them in our cubes and they'd be affordable compared to non legendary duals. I guess people could use them in commander too, but whatever.

Angry Grimace

I want them to release legendary duals so bad. We could call them Cube Lands, because we'd all put them in our cubes and they'd be affordable compared to non legendary duals. I guess people could use them in commander too, but whatever.

Rich Cube Man would just put both in.

kirblar

I actually don't think Legendary Duals are a bad idea at all - but you do have to make them pretty scarce in the first printing since they're a playset of *1*.

edit: Am I the only one that thinks Dragonlord Dromoka is extremely well-positioned right now?

Angry Grimace

I actually don't think Legendary Duals are a bad idea at all - but you do have to make them pretty scarce in the first printing since they're a playset of *1*.

edit: Am I the only one that thinks Dragonlord Dromoka is extremely well-positioned right now?

I have a 1-of in my deck, but it mostly just eats a Downfall or something else on the opponents turn. That's not even a particularly bad thing sometimes - it doesn't die to mass removal of any kind so its almost always a 1-for-1 on their turn. That said, I don't know that I'd say its *really* enough to justify running it - that's a pretty small thing to gain when it eats immediate removal.

Here's the deck I was planning on taking to GP San Diego with my updated tech:

Sultai Midrange

Creatures(24):
  • 4 Satyr Wayfinder
  • 2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
  • 4 Den Protector
  • 1 Nissa, Vastwood Seer
  • 3 Courser of Kruphix
  • 1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
  • 4 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
  • 4 Priest of the Blood Rite
  • 1 Sidisi, Undead Vizier

Spells(10):
  • 4 Thoughtseize
  • 2 Murderous Cut
  • 2 Hero's Downfall
  • 2 Sultai Charm

Enchantments(3):
  • 2 Whip of Erebos
  • 1 Evolutionary Leap

Land(23):
  • 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 3 Polluted Delta
  • 2 Swamp
  • 1 Island
  • 3 Forest
  • 2 Llanowar Wastes
  • 3 Yavimaya Coast
  • 1 Temple of Mystery
  • 1 Temple of Deceit
  • 2 Temple of Malady
  • 4 Opulent Palace

Sideboard(15):
  • 1 Treasure Cruise
  • 1 Bile Blight
  • 2 Stratus Dancer
  • 2 Disdainful Stroke
  • 1 Dragonlord Silumgar
  • 2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
  • 2 Crux of Fate
  • 1 Pharika, God of Affliction
  • 1 Drown in Sorrow
  • 1 Negate
  • 1 Duress

Sultai Charm is really strong right now.

Whip getting one last GB hurrah

Yeah, I'm super salty I'm not going now because I put a lot of extra effort into this list for the tournament and my group bailing on me after promising me a spot kinda sucks. Even if I take the 11-hour ride on the Amtrak I don't have a place to stay and I'm sure last-minute hotels are just as expensive as last-minute plane tickets.

Guess I'll just troll game day with Elves at this point.

kirblar

I have a 1-of in my deck, but it mostly just eats a Downfall or something else on the opponents turn. That's not even a particularly bad thing sometimes - it doesn't die to mass removal of any kind so its almost always a 1-for-1 on their turn. That said, I don't know that I'd say its *really* enough to justify running it - that's a pretty small thing to gain when it eats immediate removal.
It's more that it tends to just end a game vs U/R or Mono-R on the spot.

Angry Grimace

It's more that it tends to just end a game vs U/R or Mono-R on the spot.

Yeah, its still in my MB because it ends almost literally any game where it sticks and can't be killed by non-black decks.

I mean, Dromoka is probably alright this weekend but I don't expect UR and Mono Red to dominate the remainder of the season. They're not the hardest decks to beat if that's what you're looking to do.

The problem with Dromoka against mono red is that you're probably playing things that get blown out to Searing Blood in order to cast it before dying. Dromoka's Command is good, but not something you hold up in the first 4 turns easily. It's definitely good post board when you have a better stabilizing force to get you there.

I do like having access to a couple copies of hornet nest, though.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174179469]I mean, Dromoka is probably alright this weekend but I don't expect UR and Mono Red to dominate the remainder of the season. They're not the hardest decks to beat if that's what you're looking to do.

The problem with Dromoka against mono red is that you're probably playing things that get blown out to Searing Blood in order to cast it before dying. Dromoka's Command is good, but not something you hold up in the first 4 turns easily. It's definitely good post board when you have a better stabilizing force to get you there.

I do like having access to a couple copies of hornet nest, though.[/QUOTE]

If you're playing Dragonlord Dromoka against Mono-Red you already won the game

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174179469]I mean, Dromoka is probably alright this weekend but I don't expect UR and Mono Red to dominate the remainder of the season. They're not the hardest decks to beat if that's what you're looking to do.

I do like having access to a couple copies of hornet nest, though.[/QUOTE]
The shell you want her in (Naya Dragons) has a real good game post-SB- I'm not sure if you even maindeck the commands.

I wish that they'd actually release a cube. Or even cube colors if a full cube would be too much product in one item. Like you buy a set of blue, a set of red, a set of black, etc. for your cube.

Anyone have much experience with Origins in Sealed or, better yet, Sealed Two-Headed Giant?

I'm not crazy thinking that Day's Undoing is just fully horrible, right? Do you think otherwise "bad" combat tricks like Touch of Moonglove are worth using? Or Dark Dabbling? I wouldn't normally look to run these cards, but I'm not a big Sealed guy so maybe I'm undervaluing them.

According to everyone I listen to (podcasts, etc.) they say that aggro decks take the day in Draft and that it's a fast format - however everything I've read / heard about Sealed is that aggro is a sure-fire way to lose unless you have an insane pool.

This pool is super weird - no hard removal (like Cruel Revival), really, but there's a Languish. That seems worth it to pull me into at least one of the decks having Black.

Other questions:
1) Should I still value two-drops like Subterranean Scout?
2) Is Akroan Jailer is still a no-go?

If you're playing Dragonlord Dromoka against Mono-Red you already won the game

Exactly.

The shell you want her in (Naya Dragons) has a real good game post-SB- I'm not sure if you even maindeck the commands.

Yeah but every deck has game against mono red after board. You're not wrong that Dromoka is particularly good against the strong decks coming out of the Pro Tour, but I don't think that makes the decks that want her stronger, if that makes sense.

kirblar

It's more that I'd rather run the Naya Shell instead of G/R devotion due to how she shores up that matchup with very little opportunity cost.

Angry Grimace

Anyone have much experience with Origins in Sealed or, better yet, Sealed Two-Headed Giant?

I'm not crazy thinking that Day's Undoing is just fully horrible, right? Do you think otherwise "bad" combat tricks like Touch of Moonglove are worth using? Or Dark Dabbling? I wouldn't normally look to run these cards, but I'm not a big Sealed guy so maybe I'm undervaluing them.

According to everyone I listen to (podcasts, etc.) they say that aggro decks take the day in Draft and that it's a fast format - however everything I've read / heard about Sealed is that aggro is a sure-fire way to lose unless you have an insane pool.

This pool is super weird - no hard removal (like Cruel Revival), really, but there's a Languish. That seems worth it to pull me into at least one of the decks having Black.

AKA: Should I still value two-drops like Subterranean Scout?
Day's Undoing is a wildly fluctuating card. If you draft a super aggressive deck, it's pure card advantage. If you draft a slow controlling deck it's just mediocre at best. It's a constructed card, plain and simple.

Day's Undoing is a wildly fluctuating card. If you draft a super aggressive deck, it's pure card advantage. If you draft a slow controlling deck it's just mediocre at best. It's a constructed card, plain and simple.

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

Am I crazy for not putting Blue into one of these two 2HG decks? I mean, Thopter Spy Network seems like a bomb, and I have 3 Aeronauts. It just doesn't seem THAT deep and all the other colours feel like they need help. Fuck, I'm bad at this, lol

BLUE
Artificer's Epiphany
Aspiring Aeronaut x3
Calculated Dismissal
Claustrophobia
Day's Undoing
Deep Sea Terror
Dreadwaters x2
Hydrolash
Maritime Guard
Negate x2
Psychic Rebuttal
Scrapskin Drake
Send to Sleep
Stratus Walk
Thopter Spy Network
Watercourser

Angry Grimace

I'm actually disappointed. Wanted a modern frame original art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom