• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Yeah, my Khans box looked exactly like that above picture. As a means to store commons/huge piles of guild gates/gain lands I didn't really mind, but the Ravnica one was definitely higher quality.

Matriox

CLxflXJUwAAv7G1.jpg

From Twitter.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I was referring to the "more interested in exciting new play experiences" - it's total, unabridged corporate-speak from marketing.

That is about the worst PR-speak I've encountered this week. And all I do is deal with PR folks all day, every day. There is just no need to talk like that. It just annoys everybody in this social media age.

That is gorgeous design but hopefully it's better quality than the khans box

For real. It's very pretty, but my Khans box was completely....

Yeah, my Khans box looked exactly like that above picture. As a means to store commons/huge piles of guild gates/gain lands I didn't really mind, but the Ravnica one was definitely higher quality.

...like that. Mine even had a bunch of excess glue at the bottom in the corners, making it impossible to store actual cards in until I took a box knife to it. Hopefully, they spent the extra 5 cents a box and went back to the Ravnica quality stock. That box is downright sturdy.

OnPoint

The EDH crowd on Reddit/Tweeter are losing their collective shit. Apparently, it's a big deal that it's foil? I dunno.

But it's never a card I want to play, and I play a lot of EDH (almost exclusively these days with the time I can spend on Magic). I hate that card. I honestly can't figure out why it matters to anyone, but I guess if they're pumped, cool.

Firemind

What does reckoner of souls even mean? Is she like heaven's statistician and tallies good and bad souls? At least Boros Reckoner made sense kinda.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What does reckoner of souls even mean? Is she like heaven's statistician and tallies good and bad souls? At least Boros Reckoner made sense kinda.

She either deems the dead worthy, in which case she resurrects them with a bloody purpose, or unworthy and lets their rotting corpses serve as both reminder and warning to her enemies.

Firemind

She either deems the dead worthy, in which case she resurrects them with a bloody purpose, or unworthy and lets their rotting corpses serve as both reminder and warning to her enemies.
But randomly? That doesn't sound very angelic. Also that flavour text LOL. Rule of Cool at work here.
pls hire better writers wotc

Matriox

Never played modern before, but I ended up throwing this together after nabbing a few cards I didn't already have:

http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/96370

Any glaring flaws or downsides I'm missing? The meta around me is also very budget so I guess it's hard to tell whether it's fine or not, just wanted some second opinions.

Tarmogoyf and more Liliana are kind of out of the question at the moment lol.

Never played modern before, but I ended up throwing this together after nabbing a few cards I didn't already have:

http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/96370

Any glaring flaws or downsides I'm missing? The meta around me is also very budget so I guess it's hard to tell whether it's fine or not, just wanted some second opinions.

Tarmogoyf and more Liliana are kind of out of the question at the moment lol.

Bitterblossom might be too aggressive for a midrangey deck like this, Especially as a 1-of. Rakdos Charm isn't something I'm super impressed with, there's probably something more consistent you could slot in, like Spellskites. Other than that, Scavenging Ooze is a great card but with diminishing returns so I personally like two. I like Dark Confidants in this style of deck, but they're still pretty expensive.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess I just don't get EDH. I made a couple of commander decks and then never played them because Commander itself is pretty meh. I'll just use those cards to make a cube. *shrug*

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174595764]Bitterblossom might be too aggressive for a midrangey deck like this, Especially as a 1-of. Rakdos Charm isn't something I'm super impressed with, there's probably something more consistent you could slot in, like Spellskites. Other than that, Scavenging Ooze is a great card but with diminishing returns so I personally like two. I like Dark Confidants in this style of deck, but they're still pretty expensive.[/QUOTE]

A lot of Modern decks just can't beat Bitterblossom though (For example, Jund and Grixis Control will have trouble hitting through unlimited chump blockers); I have it as a 2-of it in the sideboard of a Grixis Twin deck. I don't think its mainboard material unless you're playing Faeries or Tokens though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Commander is pretty cool IMO but I've only played it 1 vs 1

The only use I have for Commander decks is playing with cool cards I have no real use for otherwise. But if I'm playing 1v1 like that, I'd probably rather just have a cube and play a random game of sealed with it, tbh.

Angry Grimace

I'd like to work on a cube as my next "Magic project."

I signed up for Pucatrade to see if I can get a lot of the random cards I want for this. Its gonna take me fucken forever to do this though, but I'm looking for something a bit like the Legacy cube they run on MTGO because its the kind of "Greatest Hits of Magic" cube I like playing.

Angry Grimace

Will your cube have fireblast and sulfuric vortex though?

I think I have a copy of Sulfuric Vortex (my friend gave me a box of cards a year or two ago that was all cards from Scourge to Mirrodin).

Hero

You guys want to make your own Cube I'm all about it. Cube is my favorite format. I have a powered 450 one.

Matriox

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174595764]Bitterblossom might be too aggressive for a midrangey deck like this, Especially as a 1-of. Rakdos Charm isn't something I'm super impressed with, there's probably something more consistent you could slot in, like Spellskites. Other than that, Scavenging Ooze is a great card but with diminishing returns so I personally like two. I like Dark Confidants in this style of deck, but they're still pretty expensive.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I opened a ton of tabs on mtgtop8 and took the extras I saw in different lists to replace the stuff I didn't have lol. I don't own any dark confidant or spellskite unfortunately, I'm just trying out the format so if I can find something else for Bitterblossom though.

Edit: I kind of like that Rakdos Charm kills Splinter Twin for making a ton of dudes :p

Angry Grimace

Honestly I opened a ton of tabs on mtgtop8 and took the extras I saw in different lists to replace the stuff I didn't have lol. I don't own any dark confidant or spellskite unfortunately, I'm just trying out the format so if I can find something else for Bitterblossom though.

Edit: I kind of like that Rakdos Charm kills Splinter Twin for making a ton of dudes :p

If you don't want to play Dark Confidant, perhaps think about playing Abzan instead of Jund because the main benefit of the Jund deck is basically "you get to play Dark Confidant." Abzan is pretty similar, just playing Lingering Souls and Rhinos and play Path ti Exile (instead of Bolt). I mean, there isn't really a 2 drop that will replace Tarmogoyf, but still.

Based on River of Tears, but not the same, I'm guessing that the Battle for Zendikar duel lands will be like this:

Landfall of Tears
Land
Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool.
Landfall -- Tap: Add U or B to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if Landfall of Tears or another land entered the battlefield under your control this turn.

If Zendikar lands aren't a reprint, I don't want them to be anything similar to what we'd expect. I want something brand new and awesome.

When I say inconsistent, I mean specifically for Splinter Twin. People know about it, and if you have less health than your opponent then they can look at your lands, see you have charm up and make just enough clones to kill you and it no longer works. And that's just with Exarch, with Pestermite it basically never works.

If all you want is to stop the combo then play Rending Volley, otherwise Spellskite has utility in a lot of matchups.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";174617001]If Zendikar lands aren't a reprint, I don't want them to be anything similar to what we'd expect. I want something brand new and awesome.

When I say inconsistent, I mean specifically for Splinter Twin. People know about it, and if you have less health than your opponent then they can look at your lands, see you have charm up and make just enough clones to kill you and it no longer works.

If all you want is to stop the combo then play Rending Volley, otherwise Spellskite has utility in a lot of matchups.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Charm is just too cute.

f0rk

Any Twin player that even tries to go off against open BR is bad, even if Rakdos Charm didn't exist. Unless they are already dead anyway

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Based on River of Tears, but not the same, I'm guessing that the Battle for Zendikar duel lands will be like this:

Landfall of Tears
Land
Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool.
Landfall -- Tap: Add U or B to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if Landfall of Tears or another land entered the battlefield under your control this turn.
Gross!

How about... Crumbling Oasis, makes G/U for 3 turns/charge counters (whatever), after 3 turns/uses it gets sent to the graveyard. Can be played from the graveyard to the battlefield by paying 2 CMC. When crumbling Oasis goes to the graveyard, scry 1.

Is it terrible? YES! It would also be fetchable.

That's all I got for NEW.

ultron87

Seems like the BFZ lands will probably ETB tapped, since we've already got a full set of untapped lands in Standard. And then exile themselves for some reason to make Oblivion Sower the best.

Matriox

Fair enough. I assumed it was brought in primarily for artifact hate and graveyard strategies but I can't think of a current high tier graveyard strat.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Seems like the BFZ lands will probably ETB tapped, since we've already got a full set of untapped lands in Standard. And then exile themselves for some reason to make Oblivion Sower the best.

Yeah, I was thinking of making them exile instead, but seems awkward to pay 2 to bring back from exile, although there is precedent!

Firemind

Token-Name Manland
Token-Name Manland enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add U or R to your mana pool.
1UR: Until end of turn, Token-Name Manland becomes a blue and red 3/1 elemental creature with "Landfall - whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, choose a player. Token-Name Manland has protection from the chosen player." It's still a land.

Rakdos Charm used to be a really good sideboard card in Modern because it consolidated slots against Twin, Storm, and Affinity. Now you maindeck Affinity hate with K-Command and you don't need to wipe anyone's yard at instant speed (at least, not so much to spend a slot on it), so nobody plays Rakdos Charm anymore. It's sad too; I used to (hyperbolically) call it the best sideboard card in Modern.

MjFrancis

Fair enough. I assumed it was brought in primarily for artifact hate and graveyard strategies but I can't think of a current high tier graveyard strat.
Mtgtop8 shows a half-dozen plus decks pack Rakdos Charm in the sideboard every month. Grixis Delver, Dredgevine, Twin(!) and yes, even Jund. It's not unheard of still, even in winning sideboards.

Matriox

Mtgtop8 shows a half-dozen plus decks pack Rakdos Charm in the sideboard every month. Grixis Delver, Dredgevine, Twin(!) and yes, even Jund. It's not unheard of still, even in winning sideboards.

Yeah honestly I saw it so much it made sense lol. I just haven't played modern before :D

Broken land idea that plays into eldrazi flavor:

Eldrazi-Taken Underground Sea
Island Swamp
Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool.
Tap: Add B or U to your mana pool, if you do, exile ETUS and you gain an emblem that says "When you gain this emblem choose blie or black. Once during your turn, you may add one mana of the chosen color to your mana pool."

So you get the choice untapped once, then need to lock into a cokor and you no longer have the land. Also slows you down with these lands to your turb only. Please tell me how abusable this would be.

Angry Grimace

Any Twin player that even tries to go off against open BR is bad, even if Rakdos Charm didn't exist. Unless they are already dead anyway
Pretty much this. Your Exarch is more likely to eat a Terminate and lose your Twin in the process than win you the game there.

This is why Twin is usually more fair than its "combo deck" status would make it seem. Trying to go off against pretty much any open mana is usually just a bad gamble.

Broken land idea that plays into eldrazi flavor:

Eldrazi-Taken Underground Sea
Island Swamp
Tap: Add 1 to your mana pool.
Tap: Add B or U to your mana pool, if you do, exile ETUS and you gain an emblem that says "When you gain this emblem choose blie or black. Once during your turn, you may add one mana of the chosen color to your mana pool."

So you get the choice untapped once, then need to lock into a cokor and you no longer have the land. Also slows you down with these lands to your turb only. Please tell me how abusable this would be.

If you printed this card, it wouldn't work because the types "Island Swamp" means you can tap it for B or U by rule and ignore all the extra text. The oracle text for Underground Sea is literally nothing. The ability to add B and U is because it is an Island Swamp.

But yeah, even if we fixed that type problem, I think it would play almost identically to Polluted Delta does right now in standard.

You guys design some ponderous-ass lands. Every dual land printed in the last ten years or whatever is something you can understand after reading once.

It's a Mardu general that does fun stuff and makes big plays without getting instantly hated out, and it's got great art?

OnPoint

It's a Mardu general that does fun stuff and makes big plays without getting instantly hated out, and it's got great art?
I don't care about the colors and the art, IMO, sucks. If you're worried about getting hated out play the politics game better, not a shitty general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom