• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll let the rest of you hash out the overall contents but I'd suggest big image links right at the top to download/learn about Duels, the New Player page, and the WotC info page for the prerelease/launch party events.

I don't think you should put up an official thread until spoiler weeks regardless of what is at PAX because you're going to end up with the thread buried until spoilers actually start.

The critique I would make is that I think its a bit busy. A lot of this stuff probably doesn't need to be there and some stuff needs to be way bigger and more prominent, e.g. what sets are legal, how much money it costs to buy in, etc. You are going to want Duels, links to where to get it, formats, etc. really high up in the article because you are absolutely going to pull in a bunch of people who barely play or played 10 years ago, etc.

I'll let the rest of you hash out the overall contents but I'd suggest big image links right at the top to download/learn about Duels, the New Player page, and the WotC info page for the prerelease/launch party events.

I think it's fine for the OT to get buried when there aren't any spoilers; it'd just be bumped up when new spoilers come. I just feel that since, as you guys mentioned, we get a bunch of card and mechanic reveals at PAX, creating the thread after that point would be like missing part of spoiler season.

Anyway, to clean things up, I suppose I could remove "What to expect", "What not to expect", and the Old Fogey section of the "Recent changes" section--I do feel it's worth pointing out the block structure change.

And got it, I'll move the beginner stuff to the beginning and emphasize it more. I'll edit the post later.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One problem is that you want to show how cool Battle for Zendikar is gonna be, but there's only so much you can have written before the blowout at PAX to learn about stuff being added to the game.

The big thing that isn't already there is more stuff on prereleases - these are huge events for casual players and are often the only tournaments that a lot of casual players ever play in.

3x Hangarback Walker
3x Chasm Skulker
4x Managorger Hydra
2x Prophet of Kruphix

4x Sphinx's Tutelage
4x Hardened Scales
2x Evolutionary Leap
3x Dictate of Kruphix
2x Monastery Siege

4x Artificer's Epiphany
4x Treasure Cruise
2x Life's Legacy

4x Temply of Mystery
4x Thornwood Falls
4x Yavamiya Coast
3x Radiant Fountain
4x Forest
4x Island
----------------------------------------------------
3x Negate
2x Reclamation Sage
4x Defend the Hearth
3x Winds of Qal Sisma
2x Feed the Clan
1x Disdainful Stroke

VERSUS

4x Seeker of the Way
2x Soulfire Grandmaster

4x Sphinx's Tutelage
4x Jeskai Ascendency

3x Articifier's Epiphany
4x Treasure Cruise
2x Valorous Stance
4x Stoke the Flames
2x Dragon Fodder
4x Hordeling Outburst
3x Raise the Alarm

4x Mystic Monastery
2x Temply of Enlightenment
3x Temple of Triumph
3x Flooded Strand
3x Shivan Reef
3x Battlefield Forge
2x Mountain
2x Island
2x Plains
------------------------------------------
2x Dragonlord Ojutai
2x Ojutai's Command
2x Negate
3x Anger of the Gods
2x Disdainful Stroke
3x God's Willing
1x Mizzium Meddler

Which one of the better mill deck? And is it pretty apparent the power plays in each deck?
Cause casting Life's Legacy to sack a Chasm Skulker with 8 +1/+1 counters on it with even one tutelage in play is a beating.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My 2 cents on the OT is that it's way, way too long. Maybe cut everything from Old Fogeys on, as it's all pretty specific questions and the thread isn't going to big enough for us to get "tired" of answering FAQs.

Jhriad

There are a lot of concerns I have about BFZ, but them printing shitty manlands because they're afraid to print a silver-bullet answer isn't high on the list.

Maybe they've already printed the silver bullet. If the lands transform into creatures by first exiling themselves and then subsequently returning as the creature form Hallowed Moonlight would interact favorably. Hallowed Moonlight would also put those lands into exile where they could then be interacted with by Oblivion Sower.

I don't think you should put up an official thread until spoiler weeks regardless of what is at PAX because you're going to end up with the thread buried until spoilers actually start.

If we're only going to get a week outside of Community to draw in new eyes I'd say put it within a week of prerelease. That's only if we're actually limited to a week though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
MoS2pCG.png

XPhfjjx.png

ElyrionX

Lol guys, the new duals are probably going to be some kind of ETB tapped lands with e mechanic tacked on, ie. not playable outside of Standard.

I think it's fine for the OT to get buried when there aren't any spoilers; it'd just be bumped up when new spoilers come. I just feel that since, as you guys mentioned, we get a bunch of card and mechanic reveals at PAX, creating the thread after that point would be like missing part of spoiler season.

Yeah, but if you put the thread up after the PAX blowout, you can incorporate a pretty good picture of the set into the OP, which will make it a better resource for new arrivals IMO.

Thinking about it more, it probably is better to make the thread before the "official spoiler season" instead of PAX, if only because of that odd week in between without spoilers, where it would be unclear if we should keep posting in the OT or in here. That does mean I should probably leave a bit of room in the OP to describe the set, then.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I had a dream last night that the Eldrazi were invading Texas, although it was apparently supposed to be Zendikar (Zendikar looks like Texas I guess).

We couldn't figure out how to stop Emrakul because he could move 1000 mph so it was impossible to hit him with our guns or magic.

Somehow this involved downhill skiing.

I had a dream last night that the Eldrazi were invading Texas, although it was apparently supposed to be Zendikar (Zendikar looks like Texas I guess).

We couldn't figure out how to stop Emrakul because he could move 1000 mph so it was impossible to hit him with our guns or magic.

Image.ashx

Well, I suppose five (+ mana and stuff to sacrifice) of these could beat Emrakul.

Jhriad

Feed Ted Cruz to the Eldrazi. Eldrazi die from bullshit poisoning. Win!

Angry Grimace

I don't even live in Texas, Zendikar just looked like what I imagine Texas looks like.

Emrakul shoots lasers, btw

WotC should really demand that their GP events that are broadcasted on Twitch have better production / graphics than Channel Fireball's current ones. It looks like the graphic designer who made some of the backdrops just read some Photoshop tutorials online and called it quits.

Matriox

WotC should really demand that their GP events that are broadcasted on Twitch have better production / graphics than Channel Fireball's current ones. It looks like the graphic designer who made some of the backdrops just read some Photoshop tutorials online and called it quits.

Can't say WotC does any better lol. I prefer the ones I saw on Cfb over the cg terribleness of Pro Tour.

Unless you mean specifically for the matches, which I don't think anyone rivals Scg in terms of aesthetics.

Edit: I did find it pretty funny that Lsv had to explain how the dot=win system works a couple times, even changing how they
looked by having sockets for the dots halfway through the tournament.

Watching the SCG Legacy tournament; why would you ever think Cunninc Wish was a good card to make. That guy has a wish-board with him. Legacy is a really weird (but pleasently diverse) format...

Angry Grimace

Full standard season burnout has set in.

No more Rhinos please.

Firemind

I was bored so I tried to draft origins again, this time with G/W renown and... Freeblades where? I managed to pick up one and it was p1. :lol

kirblar

The Wishes are super super awesome cards in Constructed, I really hope we see them again in Standard.

The flex 1-of SBing is really cool, and there's a real clunkiness/sb space cost to doing it.

JulianImp

The Wishes are super super awesome cards in Constructed, I really hope we see them again in Standard.

The flex 1-of SBing is really cool, and there's a real clunkiness/sb space cost to doing it.

When they were printed, there were "real" hiders like Boil, Karma, Circles of Protection, Compost, Choke, ect. You were loosing a significant weapon if you wanted to play Wishes.

This might impact the wishes' viability if they ended up getting reprinted, since it isn't like you have to give up valuable SB slots for cards that can downright shut down a whole color by themselves. Stuff such as Choke, Chill and CoPs were really crazy back in the day.

I'm not really big on splitting discussion, but we'll see what happens.

What do you mean splitting? We're just (trying out) syncing OT refreshes to the set release schedule.

I think there are legit concerns about the way the first cycle work in terms of bringing them back (especially given how they feel about tutors these days) but I'd like to see the mechanic again on something less goofy than a 10-drop eldrazi.

What do you mean splitting? We're just (trying out) syncing OT refreshes to the set release schedule.

Wait, that's it!
One thing I've been unsure about with this project is how to handle having both an OT thread and a community thread. I previously rejected the idea of moving the current community thread to OT due to the intimidation factor for new people. The solution I was working with was to transfer activity to the OT when it starts up, then transfer it back to community after spoiler season ends, then transfer it back to the OT when "Sweat" spoilers start, then come back to the community.

But a better solution may be to close this community thread when the OT opens, move the OT to community when spoiler season ends, move it back to OT when "Sweat" spoilers start, then move it back to community. And if that works out, we repeat for "Tears". The only thing lost by this process, compared to having two separate threads, is that we probably won't have 400 page topics anymore.

From your post, I'm guessing this is what you already had in mind, but I just realized this possibility.

For some reason I thought wish effects allowed you to grab stuff from exile as well, but looking over the comp rules it looks like not?

I believe that's how it worked when the exile zone was instead the "removed from the game" zone.

kirblar

I think there are legit concerns about the way the first cycle work in terms of bringing them back (especially given how they feel about tutors these days) but I'd like to see the mechanic again on something less goofy than a 10-drop eldrazi.
Ah, ok- that's way better! Thought we were going to have two threads going - one rotating FGW-style thread in OT that moves to community a month after set release? Sounds good!

Yeah, I think you do need to adjust some of them (potentially all) cost/ability-wise when they come back.

I never really got Constellation as a deck. I mean, I understand it, but it seems to have too many pieces for me to root for it.

UR Mill though is my jam, though I'm betting it will be a one hit wonder. I can't see it really working after this, because it going this well means most decks are going to be packing specific enchantment hate for it's one win condition.

Took down Game Day today with Naya Devotion. Hard. There was only one deck all day that was even giving me a challenge. I also found out the general consensus of those who play with me regularly is that they are all scared to death of my deck and my experience playing it. Can't deny that finding that out felt really really good.

Haven't been able to catch up on the GP coverage yet, but I'm hoping these results don't further push Jace's price up. I still want a playset cause I'm super interested in playing a mill strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom