• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

That's...an interesting way to handle Eldrazi this time around. How much is it really going to matter though outside of interactions with Protection or Intimidate?
Considering that intimidate and protection are sidelined, not much.

It does matter for Ugin though. I'm sure there will be other cards that care about colorless. (Ugin's Construct and Tomb of the Spirit Dragon notwithstanding)

That's...an interesting way to handle Eldrazi this time around. How much is it really going to matter though outside of interactions with Protection or Intimidate?

Anything they print today that keys off of colorless creatures is also going to interact with all the morphs in Khans and the thopter stuff in Origins.

bigkrev

So we now know all the mechanics in the set

Returning: Landfall, Ally

New:
Devoid- This card has no color
Ingest- When this creature deals combat damage to a player, they exile the top card of his or her library (I'm surprised this isn't Ingest X- It's kinda dumb that a 3 mana 3/2 will Ingest the same amount of cards as Emrakul presumably)
Awaken X - If you cast this spell for it's Awaken cost, you also put X +1/+1 counters on target land you control, and it becomes a 0/0 Elemental creature with Haste. It's still a land.

ultron87

New:
Devoid- This card has no color

This almost feels like cheating. But it does make sense since it lets them have a prevalent "colorless matters" theme while avoiding the "artifact blob" problem Mirrodin had where everyone could play all the best cards.

The colored but not borders on the Devoid cards is pretty cool.

Ingest- When this creature deals combat damage to a player, they exile the top card of his or her library (I'm surprised this isn't Ingest X- It's kinda dumb that a 3 mana 3/2 will Ingest the same amount of cards as Emrakul presumably)

I expect the big Eldrazi will work more like Oblivion Sower where they exile a chunk of cards and can then do stuff with all exiled cards. Meanwhile the little guys can nibble away to power that up.

kirblar

Allies should no longer be the obnoxious trigger-fest they once were.

Also, WWK manlands are basically confirmed out of the block by the Duel Deck. They don't put upcoming cards (that aren't preview cards) in them.

bigkrev

Why you cannot trust WotC on MTGO.

From the comments: "a historic pattern of 1) stating that they care and 2) actively not caring"

Ah, the summer of 2003. I don't remember it happening that late in August, but I do remember the free 7th Edition drafts you could do on the beta server they set up. I also remember Chuck's Virtual Party killing MTGO.

It's amazing that the MTGO of today, while still a trainwreck, is nowhere near the 100 car pile-up that MTGO was then.

I think landfall returning makes a strong case for enemy fetches in the block after BFZ, they provably just didn't want all 10 in Standard with Delve.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Devoid is...very interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand all of the mechanical interactions are becoming apparent. On the other hand I'm not sure how I feel about colorless from colored mana as a major theme

Eh its probably fine, probably ends up being like colored artifacts in terms of overall game impact

kirblar

I think landfall returning makes a strong case for enemy fetches in the block after BFZ, they provably just didn't want all 10 in Standard with Delve.
Yup.

Rosewater's said they over-keyword because casuals are dumb and don't pick up on obvious patterns. Well, in much softer language. Also because it makes marketing happy.

red13th

Couldn't Devoid be a colourless colour marker like the ones in the flipside of the DFCs.

EDIT: Also, that Primal Command art is great!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
... Couldn't possibly be less interested in BFZ than I am right now. Devoid is such a fucking dumb mechanic that shouldn't exist. It breaks the game in a way that shouldn't be broken. Colored artifacts were a good idea, this is not. Colored cards should be colored, colorless cards should be colorless. Colorless cards that were colored made some sense (Ghostfire is easy to understand by looking at it). Colored colorless cards do not. I just don't even understand this from a thematic point of view. Everything else looks meh as well.

Jhriad

Ingest implying a lot of interaction with Exiled cards on more cards in BFZ makes me a bit uncomfortable. Can we get 'Removed from the game' back as a separate thing if the Exile zone is going to be more interactive going forward?

Neoweee

I like Devoid. Looks nice, gives Eldrazi a clear visual identity, and allows there to be a lot of them without stuffing the game with a bunch of truly colorless cards.

Really, it seems like a cool way to make a non-tribal tribe that also interacts nicely with the previous block and previous core set.

Ingest implying a lot of interaction with Exiled cards on more cards in BFZ makes me a bit uncomfortable. Can we get 'Removed from the game' back as a separate thing if the Exile zone is going to be more interactive going forward?

0.0 % chance of them making a distinction between RFG and Exile.

Toxi

Banned
Devoid is ehhhhhhhhhhh. The problem with making stuff colorless is that it's like making stuff snow; outside of cards that specifically care about being colorless (And alternatively, stuff caring about colors), it has very little impact. The frame is really cool-looking though.

Ingest is also ehhhhhhhh. The problem with it is that on its own it's just very slow mill. You need cards that specifically interact with exiled cards, and there can't be too many of those.

Awaken is cool and easily my favorite of the new mechanics. Turning lands into creatures is really nifty and fits the land theme they're trying to establish by having you beat your opponent in the face with your lands.

Couldn't Devoid be a colourless colour marker like the ones in the flipside of the DFCs.

EDIT: Also, that Primal Command art is great!
That's probably how they were designed, but testing showed that they confused people. I wouldn't be surprised if devoid wasn't made a keyword until late in, and thus doesn't really count toward the total.

Colorless cards that were colored made some sense (Ghostfire is easy to understand by looking at it). Colored colorless cards do not.

... Devoid cards are literally the same as Ghostfire.

Anyway, ingest is interesting for the potential interactions with other cards. Plus, we finally got a "mill on combat damage" mechanic, and the exile interactions mean that the fact that damage will defeat the opponent before the milling does isn't a big deal.

Veteran Warleader costs one less than assumed, so I guess it is pretty decent.

Awaken is a pretty interesting kicker variant. In this case, I actually do hope all of them have high costs and X values, since then players are less likely to screw themselves over by animating one of the few lands they have and getting it killed. I also like the flavor, that the land itself is the one causing the spell effect.

Good to see confirmation that landfall is back. Looks like one evolution of the mechanic is multiple choices. Also, though I'm just judging this from one card, it seems like they may be addressing the issue of landfall resulting in quick games by having them result in smaller but permanent effects. A single +1/+1 counter instead of a +2/+2 boost.

Toxi

Banned
Random question to all the folks here that y'all have probably been asked too many times already: What is your favorite color/combination of colors in Magic? Doesn't have to be for gameplay purposes, it could also be based on art or flavor text or just having built a really fun deck in that color or color combination.

Random question to all the folks here that y'all have probably been asked too many times already: What is your favorite color/combination of colors in Magic? Doesn't have to be for gameplay purposes, it could also be based on art or flavor text or just having built a really fun deck in that color or color combination.

Well, I do always find myself making red/green decks, such that I'm always running low on spare Mountains and Forests.

BTW, article on Zendikar vs Eldrazi Duel Deck is up.
Landfall is confirmed as is Devoid and Awaken.

Yeah, this mostly seems to confirm stuff we already had a hint of. The set is structured the same way we've seen in other faction-war designs, with mechanics used to break up the factions. Zendikar has Landfall, Awaken, and the non-keyworded Allies; the Eldrazi have Devoid, Ingest -- and, I would guess, spawn as the non-keyword equivalent of Allies -- defining their side.

I do think it's interesting that the Eldrazi have not one but two mechanics that are... I shouldn't say "parasitic" since that means a specific thing in Magic terms, but it's two different keywords that don't actually do anything and are only meaningful in conjunction with other cards in the surrounding context. That's not necessarily bad but it's an odd choice.

I do like that they're doing the colorless-creatures-with-colored-mana-costs thing finally, given that this is what they hinted at way back with Ghostfire. It actually makes me a little sad that they didn't do this the first time around, since I always thought the colored eldrazi didn't really seem right.

Still apprehensive about Landfall because it's not actually a good mechanic, but the one preview card and (more importantly) what looks like a big functionality upgrade to the Allies makes me a little hopeful it won't be godawful this time.

Also, WWK manlands are basically confirmed out of the block by the Duel Deck. They don't put upcoming cards (that aren't preview cards) in them.

I didn't expect them anyway once it started to look really seriously like we'd be getting the enemy half of the cycle, but is this always true? I don't think I've checked to make sure that over the last four years no reprint in the fall DDs showed up in the following block.

I will say that the allied manlands are in a weird spot now; we didn't get them in MM2 and we're burning past the best opportunity to reprint them in a block, so I'm really not sure where they'll find a good place to reprint them.

Devoid is such a fucking dumb mechanic that shouldn't exist. It breaks the game in a way that shouldn't be broken. Colored artifacts were a good idea, this is not. Colored cards should be colored, colorless cards should be colorless. Colorless cards that were colored made some sense (Ghostfire is easy to understand by looking at it). Colored colorless cards do not. I just don't even understand this from a thematic point of view. Everything else looks meh as well.

I'm not sure I see why this breaks any kind of fundamental rule. They printed Ghostly Flame way back in Ice Age, and we've been getting variants of it (including Ghostfire, the card that kicked off this whole Eldrazi madness in the first place) ever since.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
... Couldn't possibly be less interested in BFZ than I am right now. Devoid is such a fucking dumb mechanic that shouldn't exist. It breaks the game in a way that shouldn't be broken. Colored artifacts were a good idea, this is not. Colored cards should be colored, colorless cards should be colorless. Colorless cards that were colored made some sense (Ghostfire is easy to understand by looking at it). Colored colorless cards do not. I just don't even understand this from a thematic point of view. Everything else looks meh as well.

Its never gonna exist outside of Eldrazi and the Eldrazi are dumb as last seen because they were all colorless and cost a billion. Its way too narrow of a design space.

Also, counters being placed on Landfall is gonna be dumb as all fuck with Hangarback Walker around. I completely expect that since it solves the fundamental problem with Landfall to some degree, which is that it does shit on your turn and not on anyone else's.

Still apprehensive about Landfall because it's not actually a good mechanic, but the one preview card and (more importantly) what looks like a big functionality upgrade to the Allies makes me a little hopeful it won't be godawful this time.

Counters being placed on Landfall is slightly better since it solves the primary issue that Landfall only does anything on your own turn (especially in Limited). But that's gonna be dumb as all fuck with Hangarback Walker around if there are more cards like this that let you throw them around anywhere. Of course, it could just be this one random unplayable card in the duel deck that lets you throw them around, so there's that.

Constructed leagues are fine with me, as long as they actually fucking launch.

I'm withholding judgement on the BFZ mechanics until we get a broader view of the set. I will say the art has been on point so far and those colorless card frames are sick.

Counters being placed on Landfall is slightly better since it solves the primary issue that Landfall only does anything on your own turn (especially in Limited). But that's gonna be dumb as all fuck with Hangarback Walker around if there are more cards like this that let you throw them around anywhere. Of course, it could just be this one random unplayable card in the duel deck that lets you throw them around, so there's that.

Hangarback Walker being a colorless creature that powers up from +1/+1s is kind of hilarious now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I regret not buying Hangarback the second I saw it. Didn't think it would be big, I just liked it. Damn it.

I threw one away because I assume it was a bulk rare at prerelease. Which is annoying because I have three now.

Angry Grimace

Seems to me like this is part of WOTC's long history of hosing some mechanic from the last block since the Eldrazi apparently caring about stuff in Exile sounds a lot like hosing the shit out of Delve.

Ah, the summer of 2003. I don't remember it happening that late in August, but I do remember the free 7th Edition drafts you could do on the beta server they set up. I also remember Chuck's Virtual Party killing MTGO.

It's amazing that the MTGO of today, while still a trainwreck, is nowhere near the 100 car pile-up that MTGO was then.

MTGO was a smoldering heap in 2003. People who complain today and weren't there during the dark days just don't understand.

I really hope they get limited leagues back someday, though. They were fun, what, 13 years ago?

And I'm really not liking how parasitic BFZ looks.

From a comment on Mythicspoiler back on August 9, i.e. before anyone in public had even gotten ZVE shipped to them:

Jimmy Alvey · Crew at Burger King
New mech is devoid and awakening
Devoid means spells with it have no colour and awakening is an alternate casting cost that makes a land a 0/0 and puts counters on them.
Plus enemy man lands and a New ally land that is a plains island
Like · Reply · 1 · Aug 9, 2015 10:18am

Enemy manlands isn't a surprise even a little bit, but an allied land cycle with basic land types? That's pretty saucy, especially with allied fetchlands still in Standard.

kirblar

From a comment on Mythicspoiler back on August 9, i.e. before anyone in public had even gotten ZVE shipped to them:

Enemy manlands isn't a surprise even a little bit, but an allied land cycle with basic land types? That's pretty saucy, especially with allied fetchlands still in Standard.
The latter actually doesn't surprise me (at least, in that it exists) - Rosewater had brought up "we'll do them eventually" a few times recently, but not in enough volume to raise anything more than "oh, at some point in the next 2 years."

Being in Zen is definitely surprising.

f0rk

Hopefully the manlands are modern playable. Shouldn't be too hard considering 4/5 of the allied ones are at least to some degree. Obviously interested in the U/R one the most

Hopefully the manlands are modern playable. Shouldn't be too hard considering 4/5 of the allied ones are at least to some degree. Obviously interested in the U/R one the most

Angry Waterfall
Land
Angry Waterfall enters the battlefield tapped.
Tap: Add U or R to your mana pool.
2UR: Until end of turn, Angry Waterfall becomes a 2/2 blue and red Elemental creature with prowess and "Whenever this creature becomes a target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it." It's still a land.

tch

It almost seems from the quote that it could be Land- Plains Island Ally

Angry Grimace

Depleted Tundra
Plains Island
Depleted Tundra enters the battlefield tapped.

It almost seems from the quote that it could be Land- Plains Island Ally

Buddy Tundra
Plains Island Ally

Firemind

Wait what?

Don't we have enough allied lands already? There are two more? BFZ sounds more and more awful with every rumour.

reprint goblin guide plox

It won't be a strictly worse shockland.

For serious speculation, I could see it having a spell effect attached if you pay hybrid when it enters.

Orderly Waterfall
Land - Plains Island
(Tap: Add W or U to your mana pool.)
Orderly Waterfall enters the battlefield tapped.
When Orderly Waterfall enters the battlefield, you may pay (W/U). If you do, you may tap target creature with power 3 or less.

bigkrev

Land- Island Swamp
Landfall- this land enters the battlefield tapped if you had another land enter the battlefield this turn

Functions as a Underground Sea if just played from your hand, but it's impossible to fetch for untapped the same turn you play your fetch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom