• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planeswalker round-up

The story of Gideon and Jace returning to Zendikar, Jace being absolutely useless, and lots of Gideon fighting Eldrazi.

New art:
rj37auzaj7.jpg

ldhrbw81ua.jpg

p6eymm4lji.jpg

a87ksezp7j.jpg

1yu9kxjuce.jpg

gm07546g55.jpg

mhenbhvort.jpg
Legendary artifact card for Gideon's sural?
And I hope that last piece of art won't actually appear on a card.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My favorite part is Jace curling into a little ball when he sees an Eldrazi.

I also like how in some of the art you can see Gideon leading a few vampires. I would laugh for a few hours if this results in a Drana reprint.

Firemind

Seeking pieces of an Unwritten history. Inquisitive and bold, the Planeswalker Narset had been unable control the restlessness within herself until her great teacher, the Dragonlord Ojutai, taught her to "seek enlightenment." Narset flung herself into learning all that she could find, and became the youngest ever to be named a Master by Ojutai himself.
Not even Wizards know the genders of their characters. :lol

Whereabouts unknown. The half-devil Planeswalker Tibalt always took great delight in torturing his home plane of Innistrad. The pain mage's twisted experiments drew inquisitors bent on shutting him down. When they came for him, he found his Planeswalker spark and escaped. Now he is free to wander the Multiverse, following his sadistic whims and finding new worlds to torment.
Translation: You'll never see him again!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
!

I don't get it. Narset is female and Ojutai is male.

Ojutai and Silumgar are male; Kolaghan, Dromoka and Atarka are female.

Huh?
Seeking pieces of an Unwritten history. Inquisitive and bold, the Planeswalker Narset had been unable control the restlessness within herself [Narset] until her [Narset's] great teacher, the Dragonlord Ojutai, taught her [Narset] to "seek enlightenment." Narset flung herself [Narset] into learning all that she [Narset] could find, and became the youngest ever to be named a Master by Ojutai himself [Ojutai].
All the male pronouns refer to Ojutai, who is male. All the female pronouns refer to Narset, who is female.

EDIT: The blue Elder Dragons are male, and the others are female. So Ojutai and Silumgar are male.

Yeef

We'll definitely see Tibalt again; his character is very popular even though his card isn't. We also don't have a "traditional" BR walker yet. Tibalt will almost certainly fill that role.

Angry Grimace

Huh. I thought they were all female. How else could they produce offspring?
the answer is wizards

Dragons on Tarkir emerge full grown from "Dragon Tempests" that are created by Ugin's presence on the plane.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";175940985]GOD DAMN THAT ART SUCKS ASS

Also, how many damn planeswalkers are showing up?

Sorin
Nahiri
Ugin
Gideon
Nissa
Kiora[/QUOTE]They already confirmed that Jace, Chandra, Nissa, Gideon and Kiora are in the storyline, so you're 2 off. We don't actually know that Ugin, Sorin or Nahiri will *actually* show up, although they have heavy involvement in the Zendikar storyline. And even if they do, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't actually get new cards since they both have Standard legal cards right now.

New Era Blocks have 3 Planeswalkers for big sets and 2 for small sets.

Yeef

They already confirmed that Jace, Chandra, Nissa, Gideon and Kiora are in the storyline, so you're 2 off. We don't actually know that Ugin, Sorin or Nahiri will *actually* show up, although they have heavy involvement in the Zendikar storyline. And even if they do, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't actually get new cards since they both have Standard legal cards right now.
They've already confirmed that Ugin will be in the storyline, though not necessarily in the cards. They showed some art of him talking(?) to Jace:

Jace-and-Ugin-Battle-for-Zendikar.jpg

Angry Grimace

One of Chandra or Gideon better finally be freakin' R/W because they're both R/W.

(the storyline there is cringey, but Gideon and Chandra are tsundere for the other)

Angry Grimace

Nahiri will be RW. They've telegraphed it pretty hard.

I don't even think Nahiri will show up - she's been "missing" for 1000 years, i.e. she's off-plane. I mean, they're not going to stop the Eldrazi in this block, and they only have three real villains in MTG - Bolas, Eldrazi and the Phyrexians.

Toxi

Banned
So the dragons of Tarkir are literally coming from the writing team's collective asses.
???

The dragon tempests spawning dragons are a major part of the Tarkir storyline and setting. The entire plot of Tarkir was about Sarkhan going back in time to save Ugin's life so the dragon tempests would continue. There's even a Dragon Tempest card.

I don't understand the criticism here. Magic has a lot of amateurish writing, but the dragon tempests spawning dragons aren't an example of that.

Angry Grimace

They're totally going to go all Jurassic Park in Return to Tarkir.

I don't feel like Tarkir was really that interesting of a setting really. I also felt like they squandered the potential of the alternate universe quite a bit. Not to mention Sarkhan was just kind of there for reasons.

Firemind

???

The dragon tempests spawning dragons are a major part of the Tarkir storyline and setting. The entire plot of Tarkir was about Sarkhan going back in time to save Ugin's life so the dragon tempests would continue. There's even a Dragon Tempest card.

I don't understand the criticism here. Magic has a lot of amateurish writing, but the dragon tempests spawning dragons aren't an example of that.
You can't create something out of nothing. The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are created from genetically engineered eggs. Pacific Rim explains the kaiju's arrival through a dimensional portal. There's a reason why 'a wizard did it' is a way to mock fiction with unexplained plot devices/holes. So let's say the tempests create fully adult dragons out of nothing, with Ugin as the lifeline, don't you find it strange that the dragons, as a species, have no way to reproduce? Do the females not have ovipositors? Why even have genders at all if that is the case? It's not like Ugin is their Queen or something, laying eggs, with or without fertilization. No, they actually come from some non-biological phenomenon tied to Ugin because plot. It's dumb and lazy.

I prefer the dragons of Alara, since they actually seem to exhibit animal behaviour.

Dude, this is literally a case where "magic" is an acceptable explanation.

Ugin was intentionally setting up these dragon tempests to do something, and they started going out of control when he was wounded but not dead, and they disappeared in the other timeline when he died. It's possible that there is an explanation for why he was doing this that ties into the greater story, but the "how" is literally just magic.

Crocodile

I don't know why y'all even pay attention to Firemind half the time. He goes on these completely incomprehensible rants or states these illogical opinions with no basis in reality often enough I figured the rest of you would've caught on by now :p

Angry Grimace

I don't know why y'all even pay attention to Firemind half the time. He goes on these completely incomprehensible rants or states these illogical opinions with no basis in reality often enough I figured the rest of you would've caught on by now :p

The emoticon isn't shaking Poe's Law here. You sound mad.

You can't create something out of nothing. The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are created from genetically engineered eggs. Pacific Rim explains the kaiju's arrival through a dimensional portal. There's a reason why 'a wizard did it' is a way to mock fiction with unexplained plot devices/holes. So let's say the tempests create fully adult dragons out of nothing, with Ugin as the lifeline, don't you find it strange that the dragons, as a species, have no way to reproduce? Do the females not have ovipositors? Why even have genders at all if that is the case? It's not like Ugin is their Queen or something, laying eggs, with or without fertilization. No, they actually come from some non-biological phenomenon tied to Ugin because plot. It's dumb and lazy.

I prefer the dragons of Alara, since they actually seem to exhibit animal behaviour.

They clearly don't have limited lifespans or they are really long since all of the Dragonlords are still around.

Angry Grimace

SLjgJn4.jpg

Panel 1: ("I'm the next card!")

Panel 2: ("I lost...")

Angry Grimace

It's weird but MTG is a property where I see a ton more cosplay than I see fan art. I don't know why that is or perhaps I just haven't come across it.

Making truthful statements constitutes rage?

I just meant I couldn't tell if that was serious or not

The story of Gideon and Jace returning to Zendikar, Jace being absolutely useless, and lots of Gideon fighting Eldrazi.

Jace really is hilariously useless.

Legendary artifact card for Gideon's sural?

I figure it's a lock at least eventually as they've been working to flesh out artifacts related to other PWs (Chain Veil, Pyromancer's Gauntlet, Sword of the Animist, etc.)

And I hope that last piece of art won't actually appear on a card.

I like that one better than most of the others! Certainly better than Gideon making a constipated face.

I do like the two-head Eldrazi, though, and the one after it (hopefully) confirms the return of Eldrazi Spawn.

Translation: You'll never see him again!

Nah. If anything Nissa (who looks much lamer from a visual perspective) just proves that you can trivially rehabilitate a bad planeswalker by printing one good card for them.

It's weird but MTG is a property where I see a ton more cosplay than I see fan art. I don't know why that is or perhaps I just haven't come across it.

There's a ton of fan art too, but MTG is perfectly suited to cosplay for the same reason things like fighting games or superheroes are: all the character outfits are purposely designed to be instantly identifiable and semiotically in-your-face.

I think Nahiri only shows up if it's with Sorin. So I could see Nissa, Gideon, Kiora in the first set and Sorin + Nahiri in the second. That's three white planeswalkers in the same block, though. Maybe they lose on Zendikar and Sorin and Nahiri come later for another fight.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";175987779]I think Nahiri only shows up if it's with Sorin. So I could see Nissa, Gideon, Kiora in the first set and Sorin + Nahiri in the second. That's three white planeswalkers in the same block, though. Maybe they lose on Zendikar and Sorin and Nahiri come later for another fight.[/QUOTE]

Its just gonna be Jace, Kiora, Gideon, Chandra, Nissa.

It's Zendikar, they wanna sell packs, they're gonna use all their popular characters.

Sorin is not in the story so far at all.

Played duel Commander with a friend tonight. He brought his collection and after some trades, that went very much in my favor, I ended up with 2 Karakas, 1 original Blood Moon (black border) and 1 Maze of Ith.

Jhriad

It's Zendikar, they wanna sell packs, they're gonna use all their popular characters.

Sorin is not in the story so far at all.

There's this Uncharted Realms about Sorin waking Ugin and being told to get Nahiri and meet Ugin on Zendikar that serves as the segue from Tarkir to Zendikar. They concluded their summary of the important plot points with:

6. Ugin never died and is aware of the Eldrazi threat.
Sorin Markov has awakened Ugin and agreed to meet him on Zendikar and deal with the Eldrazi.

You think they'll leave resolving that until the block after Zendikar? Perhaps for a clash with Eldrazi in another set? We are hearing a lot about Ulamog in the new Uncharted Realms stuff but has there been any mention of the other two biggies?

You know, I hadn't actually considered that Sorin would be absent from this block's story until I read the planeswalker round-up, which mentioned that he was sent off to get Nahiri.

So I went to GP Detroit. My first GP. And I had a lot of fun. I did not find it qualitatively different than the SCG Opens I've been to before except in the caliber of players I came across. Less mistakes being made than I've seen out of players at the Opens. But the organization and general running of the tournament had no difference in quality, maybe even a little less organized than the Opens.

I played in the main event and the Super Sunday Series Standard. The theme of Day 1 was me drawing at least 10 lands every match from a 16 land deck. So it was almost all on my teammates to make this work. We dropped after round 5 and went searching for food. If you are even in the convention center area of Detroit, look up The Grand Trunk Pub. The shepherd's pie I had was so amazing that I brought all my friends there for dinner and drinks later that night. De-lic-ious.

Playing Standard, I once again made an in point meta call (played Abzan Aggro Hangarback, but with some Lilianas) but completely failed to function as a deck. 23 Lands in there and I started keeping track of this farce by the end of round 2. I played 23 games of Magic across 9 rounds. 2 of those rounds were against hyper aggro and I never drew more than 9 cards in the entire round, getting killed on turns 4 or 5 in each game. With all that in mind, I drew 225 lands across those 23 games. I had friends coming over to watch me play just to see it happen. I had one friend try to get me a booth in the side area because I laid claim to "having drawn more lands than Jon Avon." A joke I'd been making most of the day. It was unbelievable. It was my first time running a tournament without Courser in my deck and I'm legitimately worried about how I'm going to manage come October.

I thought the Blogatog mentions of it were a joke, but actually looking at the "Panels Panels Panels" section of the PAX Magic event list shows that there's going to be a live recording of Drive to Work.

I really hope MaRo's just sitting in a prop car or something while recording that.

Angry Grimace

There's this Uncharted Realms about Sorin waking Ugin and being told to get Nahiri and meet Ugin on Zendikar that serves as the segue from Tarkir to Zendikar. They concluded their summary of the important plot points with:

You think they'll leave resolving that until the block after Zendikar? Perhaps for a clash with Eldrazi in another set? We are hearing a lot about Ulamog in the new Uncharted Realms stuff but has there been any mention of the other two biggies?
Long answer short, yes. They aren't gonna resolve the Eldrazi threat in this block.

OnPoint

Long answer short, yes. They aren't gonna resolve the Eldrazi threat in this block.

All story teases up to this point, whether from Maro or in UC, have said something along the lines of "at least one of the titans remains on Zendikar", implying that the others may have left, while sidestepping confirming it.

Honestly, they hate Dominaria so much these days that I wouldn't be shocked to hear they sent Emrakul there and just wiped it out of existence. Would be real sad, but would also help clean up an element they're happier brushing aside as of late (Liliana's origin story notwithstanding).

But really, finishing off the Eldrazi, or containing them again will be a huge deal, and likely will be something they build toward. I feel like we're entering "Act 2" of the Eldrazi saga, where things become their darkest and all hope seems lost. Should go for a couple of sets with that, anyway, then go into "Act 3" where they find a way to defeat the threat and move on to the next story beat.

Oddly, I'm wondering what happens if an Eldrazi ends up on New Phyrexia. Perhaps taming an Eldrazi and having the Phyrexians usie it to planeswalk would be a good "Things have gone from bad to worse" moment in the story for our heroes.

And now I'm just rambling, but I'm still holding out hope Nicol Bolas' big master plan is one of those "Done for the good of the multiverse" type situations and he ends up as the character with the best path to victory against all these evils in the end. I don't actually think that's what's going to happen -- they seem to love him being positioned as a pure evil if mysterious figure -- but I can hope.

Still expecting for Ulamog to be killed in this block, only for Emrakul to go, "Fu fu fu, Ulamog was a fool. He was always the weakest of us."

I know they're focusing the Origins PWs and all but there's like zero chance that they're going to have no new walkers AND have four of the five in the block repeat the immediately preceding set. They're not going to do most/all of the characters in BFZ block again in "Tears" block and they're not gonna do four of their new lead characters as cards in this one and then only Liliana in the next one.

Oddly, I'm wondering what happens if an Eldrazi ends up on New Phyrexia.

I don't think it'll be on New Phyrexia itself, but these too squaring off does seem queasily inevitable at this point.

Still expecting for Ulamog to be killed in this block, only for Emrakul to go, "Fu fu fu, Ulamog was a fool. He was always the weakest of us."

They will probably kill/imprison/whatever Ulamog in "Sweat" and leave the other two as big bads for individual future blocks on other planes, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom