• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me like this is part of WOTC's long history of hosing some mechanic from the last block since the Eldrazi apparently caring about stuff in Exile sounds a lot like hosing the shit out of Delve.

Also interestingly, Tormod's Crypt and most spells that directly exile cards from your opponent's graveyard are rotating out.

Well, Hedonist's Trove is oddly similar to the new Eldrazi abilities...

Infinite Obliteration could also be interesting if there's an Eldrazi that steals creatures from exile.

I'm hoping there's a whole lot of crazy and weird interactions with the new Eldrazi.

Land- Island Swamp
Landfall- this land enters the battlefield tapped if you had another land enter the battlefield this turn

Functions as a Underground Sea if just played from your hand, but it's impossible to fetch for untapped the same turn you play your fetch.

I can't imagine why they would want to give it basic land types if they didn't want it to play well with fetchlands. Plus, that's better than a land that's just "Tap: Add U or B to your mana pool", and I can't imagine they would print that.

From a comment on Mythicspoiler back on August 9, i.e. before anyone in public had even gotten ZVE shipped to them:

Enemy manlands isn't a surprise even a little bit, but an allied land cycle with basic land types? That's pretty saucy, especially with allied fetchlands still in Standard.

Wait, two rare land cycles in BFZ just like the last Zendikar? That'd be great.

For serious speculation, I could see it having a spell effect attached if you pay hybrid when it enters.

They said during Zendikar 1 that they didn't like how spell-lands with a mana cost played so that's why all the ones we got were free. They could've changed their mind but honestly basic-type ETBT duals with a zero-mana spell effect on them would still work.

tch

He means WU UB BR RG GW.

I would not be shocked if these are similar to Seachrome Coast and friends.

Yeah probably it just seemed weird to specify that it was an allied pair land which is pretty obvious since it is UW

They said during Zendikar 1 that they didn't like how spell-lands with a mana cost played so that's why all the ones we got were free. They could've changed their mind but honestly basic-type ETBT duals with a zero-mana spell effect on them would still work.

Hopefully they came around to the idea, it could provide some good tension with landfall around especially given all the (pretty valid) complaints about it being super linear/thoughtless the first time around

dominatordrone.jpg
+
Image.ashx
or
Image.ashx

Headcraaaaaaab!
I thought the same!
Pretty cool artwork.

If it did act like a headcrab, I could see it like Boon Satyr or something, a creature that almost acts like an equipment or enchantment, attaching itself.

Maybe take control of enemy creature, but that creature loses all abilities and takes the stats of the eldrazi headcrab. When headcrab is removed, attached creature gets a -1/-1 counter and returns to owners control.

Ghostfire is unique in Magic as the only burn spell that can kill a Silver Knight. With the Devoid mechanic, I'm wondering if we'll get some sort of answer to Emrakul in this set, or even just some actual playable "protection" hosers.

hort

Neo Member
My Landfall playlist is on repeat Land
plains island
Return ~ to your hand at the end of your turn

EDIT OR:

My Landfall playlist is on repeat Land
plains island
Return ~ to your hand at the end of your turn if it is tapped.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ghostfire is unique in Magic as the only burn spell that can kill a Silver Knight. With the Devoid mechanic, I'm wondering if we'll get some sort of answer to Emrakul in this set, or even just some actual playable "protection" hosers.
Why do I keep seeing people demand an answer to Emrakul? You lose if your opponent gets Emrakul out.

Why do I keep seeing people demand an answer to Emrakul? You lose if your opponent gets Emrakul out.

Because she has such a strange protection clause. The only reason she's difficult to remove is because she gives you an extra turn, so she essentially has haste. You could Vial in a Nekrataal, or activate Mangara of Corondor, or simply have a Gideon's Lawkeeper. The amount of otherwise (mostly) unplayable cards that can stop Emrakul is actually quite high, so it's fun to think of ways to do it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because she has such a strange protection clause. The only reason she's difficult to remove is because she gives you an extra turn, so she essentially has haste. You could Vial in a Nekrataal, or activate Mangara of Corondor, or simply have a Gideon's Lawkeeper. The amount of otherwise (mostly) unplayable cards that can stop Emrakul is actually quite high, so it's fun to think of ways to do it.

Emrakul isn't in standard, sees minimal play in modern, and is paired with about 8 other equally unfair cards in Legacy.

Just block it with Baleful Strix *shrug*

PAX schedule

Given how much they are emphasizing how they have Wil Wheaton and other nerd celebrities hosting, are we still sure that we want to wait until the week after before creating the OT topic? Plus, I still think it feels kind of weird to go, "Everyone, join us for the spoiler weeks! By the way, here's like 30 cards that were already spoiled before you guys even heard about this."

Angry Grimace

I liked how in that one piece with Nahiri in it, she was super -_- when she found out about the people worshiping the Eldrazi titans (and herself).

Angry Grimace

As an addendum, I will say Pucatrade does work, its just a really slow burn since refreshing the list will bring up like one or two new cards I can send per day. That's not really a problem, its just not terribly fast to build up enough points.

I'm assembling a cube really slowly, so its working out okay, so far, I suppose.

Angry Grimace

Just something like the Legacy Cube on MTGO, really.

That Sphinx's Tutelage deck is so fucking horrible. That guy won the GP with it because he made a meta call and nobody knew it existed. Its basically an auto-win if you have even a vague clue what the deck does.

Firemind

You mean play Sphinx's Tutelage? I think people were aware, but they couldn't really answer an enchantment nor the amount of cards the deck draws.

Angry Grimace

You mean play Sphinx's Tutelage? I think people were aware, but they couldn't really answer an enchantment nor the amount of cards the deck draws.

I'm skeptical of the claim no one could answer an Enchantment given Dromoka's Command is the second most played spell in Standard.

Random idea:

Sinking Sinkhole - 1BB
Instant
Destroy target creature.
Awaken 0 -- B

It's cheaper if you sacrifice a land or already have an awoken land.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";175856595]Just you watch, I'm gonna go 3-1 at FNM for sure. And then my power will be known.[/QUOTE]

I'm bringing See the Unwritten to FNM this week, so all bets are off.

I just got my playset. Please make this card explode, it's been a while since I've felt smart about an MTG purchase lol

I'm pretty sure people started speccing that card as soon as the word Zendikar popped up on their screens. Just look at the price data for that shit. It's pretty much doubled in price in the past month despite not seeing any extra play lol

Angry Grimace

I just got my playset. Please make this card explode, it's been a while since I've felt smart about an MTG purchase lol

It's a Johnny deck and a Johnny card.

Everyone bought them for Eldrazi, but the only big Eldrazi we've seen has a cast trigger, not an ETB, so it might not be all that awesome if they're all like that. But its already pretty fun for Atarka/Surrak shenanigans. The problem with the card is if your'e already being dumb and playing Temur like me, you'd prefer Bellower into Knux a lot of the time.

It's a Johnny deck and a Johnny card.

Everyone bought them for Eldrazi, but the only big Eldrazi we've seen has a cast trigger, not an ETB, so it might not be all that awesome if they're all like that. But its already pretty fun for Atarka/Surrak shenanigans. The problem with the card is if your'e already being dumb and playing Temur like me, you'd prefer Bellower into Knux a lot of the time.

To be fair, Emrakul has a cast trigger and the only decks that run him and actually cast him are Omnishow and Tron.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";175860195]To be fair, Emrakul has a cast trigger and the only decks that run him and actually cast him are Omnishow and Tron.[/QUOTE]

Those are the only good decks that play him

ironmang

Played in GP Detroit this past weekend and ended up going 5-4 in the main event (3rd loss in round 6). We went in with almost no prep and probably could have built our pool better but had a lot of fun even if we didn't make it very far. I ended up having the "good" deck, UW fliers with archangel and good removal, and went 7-2 with 1 of those losses being pretty heartbreaking against a mull to 5 which curved out insanely well. The other loss was against the nuts UR thopter deck with multiple whirler rogues and thopter spy network. UB was our middle deck and GR was the weakest. Our red was strong if we had any burn or any colors with good 2 drops to pair with it. Unfortunately we had about 5 bears over the entire 12 pack pool and they were evenly spread over 4-5 colors. Probably going to keep the same team if we make it out to DC next year but this time we'll make an effort to at least practice build a bunch of pools.

Sunday though I got to play some affinity and earned myself 42 packs and free entry into GP Pittsburgh in November which made me almost even for the weekend... always a good feeling.

Since we're on the topic, will they finally print a 13 and 14 CMC creature to satisfy all the people that can't Birthing Pod into Emrakul in their commander decks?

ironmang

Btw anybody attending eternal weekend or the SCG Invi over the next 2 weeks? I'll probably be at both and wouldn't mind running into someone from here. Eternal Weekend is very much worth entering just for the playmat + binder so if you're reasonably local you should at least consider going.

Still tryna figure out what standard deck I'm going to play for the Invi. I own PT mono red but have access to almost any deck thanks to some generous local friends who always have huge standard collections. Really want to play something with dig but those decks haven't really been putting up numbers lately.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";175863336]Since we're on the topic, will they finally print a 13 and 14 CMC creature to satisfy all the people that can't Birthing Pod into Emrakul in their commander decks?[/QUOTE]

Emrakul is banned in EDH.

bigkrev

Btw anybody attending eternal weekend or the SCG Invi over the next 2 weeks? I'll probably be at both and wouldn't mind running into someone from here. Eternal Weekend is very much worth entering just for the playmat + binder so if you're reasonably local you should at least consider going.

Still tryna figure out what standard deck I'm going to play for the Invi. I own PT mono red but have access to almost any deck thanks to some generous local friends who always have huge standard collections. Really want to play something with dig but those decks haven't really been putting up numbers lately.

I'm pretty sure I will be at Eternal Weekend on Saturday to play Legacy

Also, I've litterally never played a single game of Legacy (the format was called Type 1.5 the last time I played it.). I'm probably playing Burn and just hoping to ignore whatever my opponent does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom