• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ulamog in BFZ, some kind of twist involving Kozilek for spring 2017 (Phyrexians?) and then climactic finale with Emy in 2019 that's my guess.

I'm kind of expecting Vryn to tie into Phyrexia, if only because the mage-rings look like they could be used as portals. Like Alhammeret decides it would somehow be a good idea to open up a portal to New Phyrexia and they come flooding in.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is there anything more annoying than a dude who takes a billion years to sideboard on Game 3

OnPoint

I never knew Gideon was such a badass. He seems really powerful. Would Chandra be able to fend off the Eldrazi the way he did?
I hope it comes across on his next card. Gideon 1.0 is one of my favorites and I'd love to see another playable Gideon. I'd say red-white is up soon for him, but there is no other mono-white Pw character in the limelight right now.

What if him and Chandra do end up together and they do a Gideon and Chandra Jura PW card, as an analog to her parents? That way they can have them both as RW PW at once.

Toxi

Banned
It's gonna take me forever to get used to the new rule, but I think it definitely makes casual play a lot more fun. Had too many games ruined by bad luck before the game even starts.

Just noticed the wording of the rule says to scry if you have less than your starting hand. How does that apply to cards like the Leylines? Is it possible to put them on the battlefield before the scry check?

Jhriad

Just noticed the wording of the rule says to scry if you have less than your starting hand. How does that apply to cards like the Leylines? Is it possible to put them on the battlefield before the scry check?

Draw hand, mulligans, Scry, then card effects like Leylines or Conspiracy things.

EDIT: Level 3 Judge on Reddit: "Under current rules, the entire mulligan process must be fully completed before dealing with any "if this is in your opening hand" effects. No reason to suspect that will change based on the article, so Leylines don't get you a scry."

Crocodile

Leylines pop unto the battlefield at the beginning of the game. All mulligan decisions are made before a game starts. Ergo, there is no issue.

Firemind

No cube or Vintage Masters at the world championship this year.

Instead we get MM2 and Origins. Eh. Unless they manage to slip in a foil Goyf again...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Let's hope the Vancouver Mulligan rule means they make less fucken dumb mono red cards. I'll never understand the gunners who play that deck.

Angry Grimace

like what?
Well, the Vancouver Mulligan rule just makes it more consistent on mulligans which is the biggest weakness of the deck, so its just shoring up the matchup against everyone else. Of course I hate that matchup anyways - I remember someone else succinctly describing my feelings on that deck -

Mono-red sucks not because its completely brain dead but because all of the cards in the deck are as samey as possible and completely uninteresting and the deck is designed to avoid interacting with the opponent as much as possible and when it does, its not interesting either. The most typical results in those games are winning on Turn 5 or you never draw enough mountains and your deck kills you.

Its basically an obnoxious spike deck for gunners.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176033853]well that's just like, your opinion, man[/QUOTE]

Its mine too.

Me

Here

<---------

This guy agrees with kirblar

heeeeeey

Firemind

"Braindead mono-red Burn"

citation needed

mono red this standard block is more creatures than burn.

burn in the last standard block had a lot of difficult decision-making especially against the sphinx rev decks

not sure what you're on about

Angry Grimace

citation needed

burn in the last standard block had a lot of difficult decision-making especially against the sphinx rev decks

It makes no different what iteration mono red is, its the same shit every time - avoid interaction and play nothing even vaguely interesting

Firemind

i mean, if you really want to go that route, zoo is basically a more fancy version of mono red

or is it specifically basic mountains that you hate?

kirblar

citation needed

The decks can have play- Mono-R mirrors are historically very skill-testing- but the archetype is just incredibly one-dimensional and uninteresting- and its been the only thing they do with the color for ages.

Remember when we had Big Red decks? I miss those.

Toxi

Banned
It makes no different what iteration mono red is, its the same shit every time - avoid interaction and play nothing even vaguely interesting
All decks try to avoid interaction outside their own terms. Aggro decks try to kill the opponent before they can set up meaningful interaction. The entire concept of a combo deck is avoiding interaction with the opponent. Even control decks use removal or counter spells to avoid interacting in other ways with things in play.

Angry Grimace

All decks try to avoid interaction outside their own terms. Aggro decks try to kill the opponent before they can set up meaningful interaction. The entire concept of a combo deck is avoiding interaction with the opponent. Even control decks use removal or counter spells to avoid interacting in other ways with things in play.

No, they don't really.

Crocodile

The decks can have play- Mono-R mirrors are historically very skill-testing- but the archetype is just incredibly one-dimensional and uninteresting- and its been the only thing they do with the color for ages.

Remember when we had Big Red decks? I miss those.

That's kind of what happens when you nerf artifact mana and every part of Red's color pie that isn't burn or weenies (RIP LD).

Firemind

Big red won't be a thing unless they print efficient mana denial again.

I just think it's funny mono red is being decried as offering minimal interaction from someone who has shown to like dredge which offers no interaction.

kirblar

Control decks are inherently interactive. It's just that you don't want them to be able to fully lock down a game and turn it completely non-interactive. (Hi, Sphinx's Rev + Elixir decks!)

188.jpg

Angry Grimace

Big red won't be a thing unless they print efficient mana denial again.

I just think it's funny mono red is being decried as offering minimal interaction from someone who has shown to like dredge which offers no interaction.
The only reason you would find it funny is if you legitimately don't understand what Vintage is

Toxi

Banned
Control decks are inherently interactive. It's just that you don't want them to be able to fully lock down a game and turn it completely non-interactive. (Hi, Sphinx's Rev + Elixir decks!)
That's my point. Any deck is non-interactive if you just let it do their thing. The interaction comes from each player trying to bring the game into their own terms. It's the opponent's role to not be a goldfish and force interaction to happen on their terms. A game of Magic is based on reducing the opponent's ability to interact and increasing your ability to interact. Destroy a creature? You just reduced the opponent's ability to interact. Play a creature? You increased your ability to interact. Reduce your opponent's life total? They have less ability to interact because they have less of a safety cushion.

I'm probably just going into semantic bullshit, but Magic is a game about stopping the opponent's game plan and making your own happen.

Angry Grimace

Vintage is that format that no one plays, right? No wait, that's Tiny Leaders. Stupid format that vendors tried to hype to sell bulk shit.

The entire point of Vintage is playing unfair combo decks vs. other unfair combo decks. Every single deck is basically masturbating with your cards.

kirblar

That's my point. Any deck is non-interactive if you just let it do their thing. The interaction comes from each player trying to bring the game into their own terms. It's the opponent's role to not be a goldfish and force interaction to happen on their terms. A game of Magic is based on reducing the opponent's ability to interact and increasing your ability to interact. Destroy a creature? You just reduced the opponent's ability to interact. Play a creature? You increased your ability to interact. Reduce your opponent's life total? They have less ability to interact because they have less of a safety cushion.

I'm probably just going into semantic bullshit, but Magic is a game about stopping the opponent's game plan and making your own happen.
"Any deck is non-interactive"

Bullshit. Complete, absolute, bullshit.

Interaction means "I care about the board state" - Non-interactive decks generally do not, and it's why Burn is one of them. It actively tries to go to the dome as much as possible, and they keep giving it the Shortcutter effects that let it ignore defensive options.

Decks that attack and block are interactive, even if they have little actual removal. ("Big" G/W decks, Ramp.) They still have to use the combat step and work around attackers/blockers.

Decks that try and use removal while advancing their own gameplan are interactive (Delver, Jund.) They're actively interfering with their opponents plans. Yes, this may remove the opponent's ability to interact, but they're doing it by interacting directly with them.

Decks that try to control the board using removal then close out a game are interactive (Esper Dragons) If you can make their removal awkward or interfere with their removal, you can make it too inefficient to keep them afloat.

These are the types of decks that make for fun magic when present in large quantitie- back and forth between two players. Decks like Combo and Burn, which seek to just go to the dome are not. Games are better when they're battles to the death, not a jack-off contest.

I'm surprised how cheap Noble Hierarch MM2 foils are. Some dude offered me 3 for 120 and I thought that was an insane deal but it turns out it's just TCG low.

Still probably a snap buy, but I dunno really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom