• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176044527]How come we never play on Cockatrice anymore :-([/QUOTE]

I'll have time tomorrow after work and during the weekend.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why are you so angry?

Also, how is shops an unfair combo deck?

It's a Mishra's Workshop/fast artifact mana powered Prison Deck. Is this a real question or are you just trying to argue semantics again?

Apparently yesterday's Uncharted Realms derped when it was first uploaded and had the card names for each piece of art. Source, itself sourcing Reddit

In order, they were:
Gruesome Slaughter
Gideon's Reproach
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Blood Interstitial #2 (Cropped)
Conduit of Ruin
Spawning Bed
Painful Truths
Blood Interstitial #6 (Cropped)

"Blood Interstitial" probably referring to art created just for these stories that won't appear on cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gonna laugh if they take this completely literally and Gideon becomes a X/X Human Soldier Ally

Although a really flavorful ability given the storyline would be tutoring other Planeswalkers and putting them onto the Battlefield.

Toxi

Banned
It's a Mishra's Workshop/fast artifact mana powered Prison Deck. Is this a real question or are you just trying to argue semantics again?
How is shops combo? Fast mana=/=combo. The deck's strategy is to play threats and slow the opponent down. It has tons of redundancy in its card choices. It's an aggressive permanent-based prison deck that wins by hitting the opponent with a few creatures. Hell, the deck doesn't even have any cards that can dig for combo pieces.

Angry Grimace

How is shops combo? Fast mana=/=combo. The deck's strategy is to play threats and slow the opponent down. It has tons of redundancy in its card choices. It's an aggressive permanent-based prison deck that wins by hitting the opponent with a few creatures. Hell, the deck doesn't even have any cards that can dig for combo pieces.
I'm really not sure how you can't tell I'm not interested in having this semantic argument in any way. If you think Vintage Workshops decks are actually fair decks, then fine, whatever.

Angry Grimace

"Unfair" does not imply "combo."

Arguing that "Deck X is not a combo deck" in response to "Vintage is the unfair combo deck format," particularly given the actual topic of the conversation (which was that standard RDW has nothing but redundant boring cards that intentionally avoid interaction) is little more than semantics.

There are no fair decks in Vintage.

Toxi

Banned
Arguing that "Deck X is not a combo deck" in response to "Vintage is the unfair combo deck format," particularly given the actual topic of the conversation (which was that standard RDW has nothing but redundant boring cards that intentionally avoid interaction) is little more than semantics.

There are no fair decks in Vintage.
So why did you argue that shops is an unfair combo deck if you don't care about whether it's combo? Were you just trying to be an ass?

Hero

Gideon ultimate to tutor your deck for any number of planeswalker cards and put them onto the battlefield is hilarious and flavorful.

Angry Grimace

So why did you argue that shops is an unfair combo deck if you don't care about whether it's combo? Were you just trying to be an ass?

I actually didn't. I just said they don't break the Vintage mold (they don't).

You asked me to defend that its a combo deck and then interpreted my excessively dismissive response as some kind of interest in a semantic argument (it was meant to signify the opposite).

I guess that's Poe's Law, but the final answer, which I thought was apparent, is "I don't care whether Workshop decks are combo decks are not, they're still unfair decks that don't break the Vintage mold."

Edit: If it seems like I'm being a jerk about it, well, I don't necessarily mean to, but this seems you're like provoking a meaningless argument about nothing.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176069955]I forgot how miserable Gnaw to the Bone combos were in Innistrad draft.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for reminding me, GB.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176044053]Good old Xenagod. Speaking of combos, I've been playing a lot of fake ROE drafts and Crab Umbra on Enclave Cryptologist is da bess[/QUOTE]

He does wonders for Prossh. :)

rokkerkory

Hey guys I was cleaning out my garage of old stuff and I found a box of my old magic cards, like 400-500 of them. I have no use for them and I think some are worth some small change. Most are junk I think. Must be about at least 15 years old in good condition.

How can I resell them easily?

Angry Grimace

Hey guys I was cleaning out my garage of old stuff and I found a box of my old magic cards, like 400-500 of them. I have no use for them and I think some are worth some small change. Most are junk I think. Must be about at least 15 years old in good condition.

How can I resell them easily?

You probably can't if they aren't worth anything. Check http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz to see if any of her are worth more than a few bucks

bigkrev

So I just registered for Legacy Champs, and will be playing burn.

4 Goblin Guide
4 Monistary Swiftspear
1 Grim Lavamancer
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lava Spike
4 Price of Progress
4 Fireblast
3 Searing Blaze

10 Fetchland
10 Mountain

After extensive playtesting Goldfishing a dozen times, I'm happy with the maindeck, but really have no idea what I'm doing with the sideboard, because I don't follow or play legacy. Looked at some lists, and this is what I came up with

3 Ensaring Bridge
3 Smash to Smithereens
3 Sulfuric Vortex
2 Grim Lavamancer
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Searing Blood
1 Ashen Rider
1 Pyrostatic Pillar

Anyone have any better ideas for a sideboard? I was thinking about Red Blasts and stuff but want all my cards to actually contribute to winning the game. I also looked at "cute" cards like Mindbreak Trap, and decided that if I wanted 1 card for that slot, playing an Ashen Rider off a Show and Tell would be pretty funny.

Spawning Bed

Nice to see this confirmed as a card, since it's more proof of Eldrazi Spawn returning.

"Blood Interstitial" probably referring to art created just for these stories that won't appear on cards.

It's "Blood" because it's the set code name, and based on the last set they're interstitials because they appear on the loading screens in between story missions in the BFZ expansion of Duels.

Hero

So I just registered for Legacy Champs, and will be playing burn.

4 Goblin Guide
4 Monistary Swiftspear
1 Grim Lavamancer
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lava Spike
4 Price of Progress
4 Fireblast
3 Searing Blaze

10 Fetchland
10 Mountain

After extensive playtesting Goldfishing a dozen times, I'm happy with the maindeck, but really have no idea what I'm doing with the sideboard, because I don't follow or play legacy. Looked at some lists, and this is what I came up with

3 Ensaring Bridge
3 Smash to Smithereens
3 Sulfuric Vortex
2 Grim Lavamancer
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Searing Blood
1 Ashen Rider
1 Pyrostatic Pillar

Anyone have any better ideas for a sideboard? I was thinking about Red Blasts and stuff but want all my cards to actually contribute to winning the game. I also looked at "cute" cards like Mindbreak Trap, and decided that if I wanted 1 card for that slot, playing an Ashen Rider off a Show and Tell would be pretty funny.

Any reason for straight up mono red? Doesn't look like you can beat a post board Leyline of Sanctity. Most people I know have a white and/or green land splash so they can play stuff like the red/white split card or destructive revelry. Also I think sulfuric vortex should be main deck. It's honestly the best card after Goblin Guide.

Firemind

Yeah, Searing Blaze is a dead card in some matchups. Not sure what the legacy scene is in NA, but over here they play a lot of Sneak and Show and ANT. Also, what is Searing Blood doing there? :lol

Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast are mainly answers to Counterbalance, which is pretty hard to beat should one resolve. You could also use Vexing Shusher in that slot.

I made a slow U/B mill deck comprised of Tutelage, Phenax, Jace and a bunch of walls and control. It's 5 for 5 in MTGO so far because everyone concedes in disgust after around turn 10 or so. I'm tempted to take it into an 8-man queue but I don't want to face reality yet.

Angry Grimace

Any reason for straight up mono red? Doesn't look like you can beat a post board Leyline of Sanctity. Most people I know have a white and/or green land splash so they can play stuff like the red/white split card or destructive revelry. Also I think sulfuric vortex should be main deck. It's honestly the best card after Goblin Guide.
Nobody plays Leyline in Legacy

Jhriad

I actually got tons of cards from them from no issue for a pretty long time. Then they just didn't send an order.

Well, if their Amazon feedback is any indication then 64% of folks don't end up having issues. Of course if you delve into their feedback a little you'll see folks leaving neutral reviews that experience the same issues and then there are these geniuses:

Code:
"I think I'm still waiting for them..."
gary p., August 18, 2015

gary p. left a 4 out of 5 review.

To say that everyone experiences the problems is hyperbolic but at least a third of the vocal individuals that bother to order cards from them have these issues. All the evidence points to this being common practice for the company.

Angry Grimace

I assume for extra Lavamancer fuel.

That sounds like a dubious tactic given the number of Lavamancers in the list and spells that will already be in the yard.

If its for deck thinning, I've always found that to be pretty dubious as well.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, Searing Blaze is a dead card in some matchups. Not sure what the legacy scene is in NA, but over here they play a lot of Sneak and Show and ANT. Also, what is Searing Blood doing there? :lol

Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast are mainly answers to Counterbalance, which is pretty hard to beat should one resolve. You could also use Vexing Shusher in that slot.

Last I saw the Legacy meta was all Miracles and all Omnitell all the time

bigkrev

The Searing Blazes (that Searing Blood in the SB is actually a Searing Blaze, I just auto type sometimes) are for Delver Decks and Stoneforge decks, and also have the benefit of hitting decks like BUG, Infect, Fish, or anything else that runs creatures. It just seems super powerful against those decks. It's also one of the reasons I'm running fetchlands- 20 Mountains seems like too much for a deck where your curve tops out at 2 mana. The original version had some Barbarian Rings which were also helped by fetches, but I found that between Price of Progress now hurting you, Eidolon triggers, Vortexes, ect, you really did not want to take 3-5 damage from a single land over the course of a game if it was in your opener.

Do you think that moving 2-3 Sulfuric Vortex to the main, trimming down on Searing Blaze/ 1 Rift Bolt is worth it? I'd probably move to 8 Fetches and 11-12 Mountains in that case.

Imagine someone new to magic trying to parse the SSL UI.

J2ooGaC.jpg

If this screenshot was in an instruction manual it'd have like 25 little circled numbers on it lol

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176118846]Imagine someone new to magic trying to parse the SSL UI.

J2ooGaC.jpg

If this screenshot was in an instruction manual it'd have like 25 little circled numbers on it lol[/QUOTE]

Boggles the mind that they would put webcams up of the commentators. That space could be used to show important cards in a player's hand and/or battlefield. Or it could be showing each player's deck lists updated based on what's been played / in hand.

Also, you'd think MTGO would offer a special spectator mode that lets the spectator view either player's hands, so they don't have to rely on skype screen-sharing of the hands.

I suppose they don't automatically have a "spectator mode" due to fear that one of the players could have it up on another screen and know what's in his or her opponent's hand.

I feel like an ideal "spectator mode" for online matches would have the following qualities:
* You'll never be able to get a good look at the card text anyway, so represent the cards with just the art with the name and power/toughness at the time overlaid onto it.
* Player hands at the top and bottom is fine.
* Keep the lands in a boxed off row labeled "lands" above the hand (from the perspective of the bottom player), automatically group the same lands together, and label how much of each land is there. When a land becomes a creature, move it up to the nonland permanent row (not labeled as such).
* Maybe have a small color wheel indicator for each player that shows what is in the mana pool. Like if a player adds WWW to his or her mana pool, the W symbol will glow and a "x3" will appear next to it, and the total mana will be in the center. Maybe also have an animation of white mana flowing from the mana sources to this indicator. If there is special mana in the pool, like from Cavern of Souls, the symbol will glow a different color.
* When a player casts a spell, make it appear big on the screen, with a description written out next to it.
* Generally add graphic effects to card to show what's happening. Direct damage is an explosion, destruction is a skull, exiling results in the card dissolving away and appearing in the exile zone, etc. If a card is doing something, make it glow.
* We generally don't need to see the graveyard or library. Just show them when a player interacts with them or if it's relevant to the deck.
* There shouldn't be an entire column devoted to the life total, turn number, etc. Have them as overlays.
* Do show what game the players are on.

Angry Grimace

The Searing Blazes (that Searing Blood in the SB is actually a Searing Blaze, I just auto type sometimes) are for Delver Decks and Stoneforge decks, and also have the benefit of hitting decks like BUG, Infect, Fish, or anything else that runs creatures. It just seems super powerful against those decks. It's also one of the reasons I'm running fetchlands- 20 Mountains seems like too much for a deck where your curve tops out at 2 mana. The original version had some Barbarian Rings which were also helped by fetches, but I found that between Price of Progress now hurting you, Eidolon triggers, Vortexes, ect, you really did not want to take 3-5 damage from a single land over the course of a game if it was in your opener.

Do you think that moving 2-3 Sulfuric Vortex to the main, trimming down on Searing Blaze/ 1 Rift Bolt is worth it? I'd probably move to 8 Fetches and 11-12 Mountains in that case.

You're taking 3-5 damage over a single game running 10 fetches tho and most of the time you don't actually do any damage as a result

You don't have to listen to me though I don't know shit about Legacy

Also, you'd think MTGO would offer a special spectator mode that lets the spectator view either player's hands, so they don't have to rely on skype screen-sharing of the hands.

This isn't happening for obvious reasons - because your opponent can just log in and look at your hand.

Not that it matters - SSL is not for people new to Magic, and neither is most tournament coverage - you just have to know what the cards are and do for it to make any sense.

cdViking

For those of you that remember the grief a few of us went through dealing with Green Lake Games on Amazon. The saga of a terrible company preying on Magic players continues. From the sounds of things they've been doing this shit for years.
Huh, that's nuts. I've spent hundreds of hours playing there, and even spent a dozen hours a week a few years ago sorting cards as a way to break away from the hell that was law school. Haven't been there in a year and a half, but I could totally see this kind of thing happening, as much as I have no issue (and even actively like) most of the people I know who have worked there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom