• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holiday Cube is fun. Copy Kitchen Finks, Sac it to forgemaster, clone Inkwell, let it trade off in combat, stick it back on top with Academy Ruins, copy Kitchen Finks until he lets it die in combat.

Unfortunately Karn was shut down by revoker, but the game was in good hands until my opponent dumped a shit ton on the board out of nowhere and I had to upheaval. After a long-ass game, I finally decked my opponent.

draftrbshx.png

Game two was turn two Tinker -> Inkwell, turn three Phantasmal Image on Inkwell lol

Tinker is my #1 first pick in Holiday Cube right now.

I've seen Staff of Domination in cube drafts I've watched and thought, "Oh, that card's kinda neat. But, seems pricey (mana-wise)... might be fun to build around it at some point."

Typed it in to check the price just now. Jesus. I'm not a commander guy, but I assume that's what's pushed the price to be a $15 USD card. I feel like it's gotta show up in some supplementary product at some point, no?

Another way to combo with Exquisite Blood. Anyway, as a Sanguine Bond (3BB) attached to a creature, I think the cost is fine. Not great, but fine.

EDIT: There may be a lot of incidental lifegain to help slow down games, which we have already seen a bit of with Retreat to Kazandu.

Man, why didn't Strasky activate his stolen Tasigur before playing Thoughtseize? His only card in hand was Dig Through Time and he had few enough cards in his graveyard that it was basically a 2-mana activation. He could have gotten a dragon back.

I'm guessing Zendikar will primarily be in Bant colors (green, white, blue) and Eldrazi will primarily be in Jund colors (black, red, green).

Yup. Black/red/green is already the color set of the Eldrazi, as we know from ROE, but Green has to be split since Zendikar itself is a super green-tilting world. And the anti-Eldrazi faction (represented as levelers in ROE) was already heavily white/blue, so those make sense to continue here.

I'll be disappointed if the Eldrazi are restricted to certain colors.

I mean, they already are. Every drone or colored spawn-generating card in ROE is green, red, or black. Given that the Eldrazi are ravenous devourers (which, as Shards of Alara teaches us, is a pretty Jund quality) and that the primary mechanic of drone eldrazi is mana acceleration (which exists in various forms in green, black, and red) it makes perfect sense.

If it bothers you that the titans are the Colorless Creatures From Beyond Time but they have this vanguard force that's only some of the colors, it really comes from the particulars of the methods and goals they created the drones to achieve. Conversely, Ugin is also a Colorless Creature From Beyond Time and based on his personality, goals, and in-setting details, if he had a creepy drone servitor race they'd probably be white-blue-red.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean, they already are. Every drone or colored spawn-generating card in ROE is green, red, or black. Given that the Eldrazi are ravenous devourers (which, as Shards of Alara teaches us, is a pretty Jund quality) and that the primary mechanic of drone eldrazi is mana acceleration (which exists in various forms in green, black, and red) it makes perfect sense.

If it bothers you that the titans are the Colorless Creatures From Beyond Time but they have this vanguard force that's only some of the colors, it really comes from the particulars of the methods and goals they created the drones to achieve. Conversely, Ugin is also a Colorless Creature From Beyond Time and based on his personality, goals, and in-setting details, if he had a creepy drone servitor race they'd probably be white-blue-red.

Drones and spawn I'm fine with, but I'm still not sure how much I like Devoid as a mechanic, especially if Devoid creatures don't show up in all five colors. If you just have Red, Green and Black devoid creatures you've made a red, green and black faction and just said "nono guys they're totally colorless really"
Ghostfire is fun as an oddity, but too much playing around with "pay colored mana but card is colorless" runs the risk of devaluing the concept of colorlessness, from both a mechanical and a philosophical standpoint. I mean, if it wasn't for the fact that there will be joint interactions with morph creatures and most artifacts is there any reason that the "colorlessness" exhibited by Devoid couldn't just be some other kind of marker? This strikes me as potentially introducing yet another problem akin to the artifact/enchantment problem. Obviously Devoid isn't going to be around significantly after BFZ but...
I dunno, we'll see how the whole set works once all of the pieces are revealed. I'm just conflicted based on what we've seen so far.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176823815]Nice combo with feed the clan or Demonic Pact[/QUOTE]

lol @ Drana in the flavor text. Would legit laugh if they reprinted Drana.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
lol @ Drana in the flavor text

Would legit laugh if they reprinted Drana

Nah we'll get like Drana, the Vampirest Nighthawk and she'll be like a 4/4 with flying, deathtouch, first strike and lifelink for four and also some useless ability about how like, cards in graveyards are vampires in addition to their other types or something

Just to fuck with me

They better not reprint fucking Vampire Nighthawk

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rolling Thunder suggests they're more committed to making sure Zendikar-titled Limited is unfun garbage than I thought. You don't need to have previous experience with that card to know its unfun nonsense.

lol Paul Rietzl teaching the commentators how to play magic this whole game. Taking better lines than all three of them could come up with at every turn.

Masterful.

Angry Grimace

Competes with Atarka, and I don't actually think the comparison is favorable. Basically an EDH card, and I absolutely *hate* EDH nonsense being printed at Mythic Rare.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176831197]I could see a 3/2 split in a R/G lands deck.[/QUOTE]

My guess is you play 0 Omnath. I find it highly unlikely that there's going to be any deck where you can run 5 7-drops.

Ghostfire is fun as an oddity, but too much playing around with "pay colored mana but card is colorless" runs the risk of devaluing the concept of colorlessness, from both a mechanical and a philosophical standpoint. I mean, if it wasn't for the fact that there will be joint interactions with morph creatures and most artifacts is there any reason that the "colorlessness" exhibited by Devoid couldn't just be some other kind of marker?

I mean, there's a long history of these mechanics. Alara and Theros both have a bunch of stuff where the permanent type is more of a marker for interactions than a real part of what the card does. Shadowmoor is full of situations where you can cheat doing something like running a mono-white deck but getting blue effects by using a spell that triggers off of {U/W} hybrids. Changelings let you trigger stuff for Allies and Slivers and Beebles without having to actually play any. In fact, if there's one consistent well of interaction mechanics Magic has gone back to over and over through the years, it's having things count as other things to trigger stuff that cares about those things.

For me, it's basically always better to do this type of mechanic using something that's already part of the game than to create a new marker for it. Snow is always going to be a parasitic mechanic no matter how many bad sets we return it in, but allies play with type-changing cards throughout Magic, Esper cards work great with Mirrodin cards, and both Eldrazi mechanics combo effectively with all the other colorless critters and exiling effects that exist in other sets.

Well, I guess Ob Nixilis succeeds in regaining his spark.

Every time they talked about him in relation to this set they did so in the context of "what planeswalkers are in this storyline" so it seemed pretty obvious this would happen. I'm gonna peg it as Gideon, Jace, Nissa, Kiora, and Ob as the PW cards for this block then.

Devoid was apparently not a keyword in design, got changed cause people don't read cards.

The very first version was going to be a color indicator but they couldn't figure out how to make a colorless color indicator, which is pretty lolarious.

BTW, the guy who claimed that there would be ally basic-typed lands and enemy manlands also said there would be a RG Omnath, so this bolsters his claim.

EDIT: According to MTG Salvation posters.

Crocodile

BTW, the guy who claimed that there would be ally basic-typed lands and enemy manlands also said there would be a RG Omnath, so this bolsters his claim.

Can we just get a link to the post(s) made by this leaker? Do you have one?

Can we just get a link to the post(s) made by this leaker? Do you have one?

OK, did a bit of searching. First post, more after that.

I have personally seen the lands, Gideon and Omnath

The lands, drum roll
Are dual lands
They come into play tapped unless you control atleast two basic lands.
you're welcome

==

They are allied. I've also seen two other cards a 4 mana Gideon, ultimate is -4 and you get an emblem for +1/+1
and there is a g/r omnath with landfall

==

Gidoeon cost 4 mana. 4 loyalty when he comes in. Omnath is either 5 or 6 I can't remember off the top of my head. The duals do have basic land types, yes, that's why they're called duals. ha

==

gideon's plus one makes him an alley, 5/5 indestrucitable creature, pretty typical gideon ability. his ultimate is glorious anthem emblem which he can activate for his 4 loyalty the turn he comes out.

He doesn't mention manlands in any of his posts. Either he mentioned those on other sites, or there is a separate leaker for that.

EDIT: Manland part came from Facebook post that also mentioned devoid. Could be the same guy, could be two different leakers, but they don't contradict each other.

Jhriad

Now I'm extra curious as to what else he said was going to be in the set.

EDIT: Beaten to the point. lol

That Gideon sounds cool.

Crocodile

shocked-gif.gif

Well I'm convinced. G/R Omnath with Landfall isn't something you just YOLO guess. 5 Allied lands in BFZ and 5 Enemy Man lands in the next set does make some sense. Otherwise, you'd have few/no rare level lands to be able to put in the second set.

EDIT: Just saw the other link. Maybe BFZ will have all the good stuff?

kirblar

This guy bolsters the first guy- the Enemy manlands are coming, they just aren't getting revealed at PAX. (This is obviously where this is leaking from.)

CIPT unless you control 2 basic lands is a very elegant design, and they'll be strong (but not shockland-strong) with fetches in Standard for the BFZ season (the time period R&D want land-based strategies to be strong), but get a bit weaker when Tears block hits and they're focusing on something else. Plus they trigger those basic-type Landfall cards. I'm impressed, this is a great idea.

Well I'm convinced. G/R Omnath with Landfall isn't something you just YOLO guess.

Definitely not. Omnath would have been down with Tuktuk and Lorthos on my list of ZEN-block legends who wouldn't reappear.

kirblar

I's push them to do Legendary duals on for RTR3 in the basic land sheet as surprise bonus Mythics (might need to be slightly rarer than Mythic) flavored around the guild HQs.

Few reasons:

a) Assuming you're doing shocks at the same time, it's just a 5th bonus shock thrown in there, so the effect on the Standard mana isn't as big as it would normally be.

b) Helps Modern/Legacy manabases- the former with combating the stupidity of Burn, the latter $-wise and anti-Wasteland wise.

c) Completely eliminates the possibility of Rosewater's insane idea to just kill the legend rule off (because he 100% does not give a shit about constructed formats) because doing so would make them equivalent to the original dual lands and break the reserve list. :p

Magic: The Gathering ‏@wizards_magic 8m8 minutes ago

What is Vorthos? Vorthos is the name of one of four MTG player profiles. What motivates a player? What do they get out of a game?
lol, poor Melvin.

edit2: They're getting grilled on Nissa being whitewashed, as they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom