• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Black is playing Mono-White Devotion
Wait, seriously? Thank God I'm not insane. Any decklists up yet?

Edit: and found it, holy moley I love this deck as an idea. I might try to sleeve it up, because I was trying to brew a Mono White deck.

Can someone explain why there's been an uptick in 25 land decks recently? I've always heard it's best to run 23 but like every deck I've been seeing recently is 25 land.

Omanth Awaken/Roil/Atarka's Command/Some landfall card is probably going to be stupid in Standard for a bit.
I'm tempted to stock up on Zendikar's Roil, considering R/G are my colors and I have some good tools to start with.

But goddamn, that combo in particular takes a little time to set up. I could see you getting blasted before it takes off.

I'm tempted to stock up on Zendikar's Roil, considering R/G are my colors and I have some good tools to start with.

But goddamn, that combo in particular takes a little time to set up. I could see you getting blasted before it takes off.

Yeah, especially with the big dorks rotating out. Maybe Temur could finally break out? Blue wouldn't be a bad idea to stall, right?

c) Completely eliminates the possibility of Rosewater's insane idea to just kill the legend rule off (because he 100% does not give a shit about constructed formats) because doing so would make them equivalent to the original dual lands and break the reserve list. :p

No one except Rosewater has ever agreed with what is literally his most terrible idea ever, so I think we're safe anyway.

Ehh, I dunno about that. Even with a ton of mana dorks, it's sort of slow and has no built-in protection.

He protects himself when a land drops and he deals Commander damage without attacking, right?

He'll see play but TBH I'm not a huge Commander player that has done and seen it all so take my evaluations lightly.

I net decked a sweet Prossh deck so that's what I play. I'm also making a very expensive Oloro control deck.

He protects himself when a land drops and he deals Commander damage without attacking, right?

He'll see play but TBH I'm not a huge Commander player that has done and seen it all so take my evaluations lightly.

I net decked a sweet Prossh deck so that's what I play. I'm also making a very expensive Oloro control deck.

I meant Hexproof/Shroud/Pro White/Black etc. The top commanders usually either have built-in protection (Zur, Animar, Geist) or have a low casting cost so they don't mind commander tax (Deveri, Marath). If Omnath gets counterspelled/removed even once, its CMC jumps to 9 and that's awful. Also he doesn't do commander damage without attacking.

Food Chain Prossh is amazing. I'd be curious to see your listing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176846227]Omnath kinda looks like the Kool-Aid Man.[/QUOTE]
If the Kool-Aid man mated with Goro from Mortal Kombat maybe.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They retcon'd her being racist out.

Rather than, y'know, using it to show someone overcoming their predjudices and becoming a better person.
The big problem is they wanted an Elf and didn't want to add more characters so they said "fuck it" and retconned it. Which makes it impossible to understand which parts of Zendikar actually happened.

en_TP7oddZX7Z.png
+
Image.ashx
= 90 damage

You sacrifice 5 all at the same time, so each death will trigger 6 instances of 3 damage. 18 * 5 = 90. Good to know for everyone's Maelstrom Wanderer EDH deck.

EDIT: Woah, what the hell?! Looking at the Standard decklists, the monowhite devotion deck has a High Sentinels of Arashin in the sideboard! The deck is also otherwise pretty refreshing.

Yeef

It'd be great if we saw a scapeshift reprint in this block. It works really well with landfall and it's too expensive for such a cool combo card.

EDIT: Woah, what the hell?! Looking at the Standard decklists, the monowhite devotion deck has a High Sentinels of Arashin in the sideboard! The deck is also otherwise pretty refreshing.

This is partially why the Pro-tour threw me off: Sam Black is super Johnny in terms of decks(he created G/W Devotion IIRC) so seeing him on Mono Red was weird. However, this brew looks geniuinely amazing, all I'm missing is a few Archangels, Brimaz, and the Masteries.

This is partially why the Pro-tour threw me off: Sam Black is super Johnny in terms of decks(he created G/W Devotion IIRC) so seeing him on Mono Red was weird. However, this brew looks geniuinely amazing, all I'm missing is a few Archangels, Brimaz, and the Masteries.

That deck was floating around the side events at GP Detroit. It's been a monster at my LGS since two people copied the deck and started running it.

Angry Grimace

I don't think I was out of line. (He's mad because I cast Dromoka's Command on his Sphinx's Tutelage)

I0kWWa8.png

All I'm saying is he started it; don't send angry tells when you lose, its lame. I didn't say shit to this guy to begin with.

Maledict

That Omnath art is some of the worst I have ever seen on a recent magic card. It looks like Mr. Blobby (90s UK players reference!). What is going on over there in their art department?

G.ZZZ

CIPT unless you control TWO basics is pretty bad though. Should've been "a basic" period, or a basic of the relevant type (basic checklands). Two basics mean they never come into play untapped before T3, and usually only after T4-T5. They're also completely unplayable in 3+ color decks.

With only 1 basic requirement they still would've promoted bicolor over multicolor because you'd need to fetch a basic first, they would've competed with shocks decently because shocks would still be playable out of hand while those pretty much aren't, and they probably would be a viable 1-ofs in legacy to be fetched later on.

Well whatever.

Also, if Maro really want to make legendary feel like a bonus and not a negative, make legendary permanents be playable only as 1-ofs in decks and remove the in-game restrictions. This way the "drawback" feel like a bonus and not an actual drawback.

I don't think I was out of line. (He's mad because I cast Dromoka's Command on his Sphinx's Tutelage)

All I'm saying is he started it; don't send angry tells when you lose, its lame. I didn't say shit to this guy to begin with.

Pro tip: don't taunt the salty player. You don't look like the good guy in this conversation. Actually, you come across as a raging asshole here. The guy is frustrated. He has a right to be. Be the better player and let it go.

Toxi

Banned
Also, if Maro really want to make legendary feel like a bonus and not a negative, make legendary permanents be playable only as 1-ofs in decks and remove the in-game restrictions. This way the "drawback" feel like a bonus and not an actual drawback.
This would ruin the Grandeur cards and make legendary permanents way worse in non-Highlander formats.

http://i.imgur.com/I0kWWa8.png[/img

All I'm saying is he started it; don't send angry tells when you lose, its lame. I didn't say shit to this guy to begin with.[/QUOTE]

MTG community in general needs more shit talking and less sterility. I fucking hate that so many players act like a bunch of robots with no investment in their own skill levels. Why even play if you blame the game every time you win or lose.

Hell, I taunted Josh Utter-Leyton to his face when I beat him at a GP with his favorite card. It's all in good fun, I just wish more people would get hyped up. Maybe that's the fighting gamer in me talking.

I would say that the FGC isn't exactly a model for what we want Magic to look like.

Also, there's a difference between sterility and civility. The line is really easy to draw. "I'm so happy that I won" is acceptable. "Suck it, you lost" is not.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176866729]Suck it you lost is perfectly acceptable when your opponent is insulting you.[/QUOTE]

It's childish and it lowers you to their level. It's the classic "two wrongs don't make a right" scenario.

Also, learn how not to take things personal. "You got lucky and topdecked" is salty, but it's not insulting. It's likely an entirely accurate representation of what happened; lucky topdecks happen all the time. Be the better person and let them be upset about their loss. They can't take anything away from your victory with what they say. Only you can do that by lacking the maturity to just sign the match slip and walk away.

I don't mean to pick on Grimace, but he willingly put the conversation out there unprompted, so it's the obvious example to use here. There's nothing about his reaction that was appropriate.

Angry Grimace

Pro tip: don't taunt the salty player. You don't look like the good guy in this conversation. Actually, you come across as a raging asshole here. The guy is frustrated. He has a right to be. Be the better player and let it go.
I'm sorry but I don't think I should have to sit there and let dudes talk junk to me. Turnabout is fair play and sure, I knew it would piss him off, but he's the one talking shit to begin with.

There's a reason there's a huge gap in me responding to him: because he might be serious and not sarcastic. I've never met anyone that would throw salt on someone else's win in person.

Hero

Legendary as in only one copy of a card in a deck is too much variance and why they only ban cards in competitive formats instead of restricting them. The only problem is with the paper format since there's no good answer to checking if people are only truly playing one of a card. Thats one area where digital has an advantage.

Angry Grimace

Legendary as in only one copy of a card in a deck is too much variance and why they only ban cards in competitive formats instead of restricting them. The only problem is with the paper format since there's no good answer to checking if people are only truly playing one of a card. Thats one area where digital has an advantage.
I don't think that's why they do that though. Its because there's memory issues having two types of lists and because having only one copy of dumb powerful shit is still dumb powerful. If you were only allowed one copy of Oath of Druids in Legacy, people would find a way to get it.

kirblar

I wasn't suggesting that, just the normal rule. (Though you could do the 1-of hard stop.)

Hero

I don't think that's why they do that though. Its because there's memory issues having two types of lists and because having only one copy of dumb powerful shit is still dumb powerful. If you were only allowed one copy of Oath of Druids in Legacy, people would find a way to get it.

I'm not saying there aren't other factors to take into consideration but at least publicly this is why there is no restricted list. They said as such when they had to ban Jace and Stoneforge in standard.

I wasn't suggesting that, just the normal rule. (Though you could do the 1-of hard stop.)

Yeah my post was directed at fire mind I think. How do you think they could enforce the 1 rule?

en_TP7oddZX7Z.png
BioShock_cover.jpg

I meant Hexproof/Shroud/Pro White/Black etc. The top commanders usually either have built-in protection (Zur, Animar, Geist) or have a low casting cost so they don't mind commander tax (Deveri, Marath). If Omnath gets counterspelled/removed even once, its CMC jumps to 9 and that's awful. Also he doesn't do commander damage without attacking.

Food Chain Prossh is amazing. I'd be curious to see your listing.

Here's my list. Swap out Primeval Titan for Food Chain depending on if it's EDH Commander or Duel Commander.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/317655#paper

Kibler writes about MODO for PC Gamer. He doesn't lay into it as much as I thought he would.

http://i.imgur.com/I0kWWa8.png

Damn, that might be the same dude who started taunting me and being a dick after I Tragic Arroganced away all his Grindstones and stupid mill permanents. I had 4 cards left in my deck, cast my sideboarded Learn from the Past and he went apeshit. It eventually devolved into him typing "YOU MADE A CHOICE" over and over, whatever that means.

Bandini

If you can't handle luck being a large factor in games, Magic isn't for you. Just go play chess or something. If you have to infer that you're more skilled than the person who just beat you, you're probably not as good as you think you are, and you're actively making the game less fun for everyone else.

Angry Grimace

It made me laugh that someone just described Abzan decks as the "John Cena of Wizard Poker."
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Firemind

You don't like Wort, the Raidmother? Or Ruric Thar?
Not really. Wort copies spells, which R/G shouldn't be doing and Ruric Thar probably dies a thousand times a game and prevents me from playing my spells.

Xenagos is powerful and exactly what R/G should be doing, but it acts more like a Fires of Yavimaya on steroids than actually being a creature. To me, it feels a bit like cheating.

Angry Grimace

I think the only interesting card in Abzan is Dromoka's Command. That is a fun card to resolve.

Firemind

Oh, yeah. Sam Black should win because he's the only one not playing Abzan. Hope it will finally die once rotation starts. #prayfortemur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom