• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Shaun thought Yuuya had Mistveil Plains instead of basic Plains- he called a judge when the first basic hit the table.
Ah.

I've played on the U/W side a lot back when it was Sun Titan based, its always just been a not-great strategy to try against the deck.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Blood Moon quite literally lost Shaun the game.

Oh hey, basic landfall.

Guardian of Tazeem - 3UU
Creature - Sphinx
Flying
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, tap target creature an opponent controls. If that land is an Island, that creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
7PGiRmL.png

Angry Grimace

Looks like a Magic card to me *shrug*

And looks like an inscrutable "GB complains about art" post.

Angry Grimace

What was their text again? Do you remember?

There isn't any - some guy accurately predicted all of the mechanics in BFZ like 10 days before we even saw the Duel Decks and said there would be enemy manlands + allied duals that were typed.

kirblar

What was their text again? Do you remember?
No text, just Enemy Manlands, Allied Dual-Type lands. Random FB post from random person had mechanics information 10 days before the Duel Decks info went live.

edit: Beaten like Grimace with manascrew by Grimace

Crocodile

Ah ok, I thought I remembered something about a ETB tapped clause unless you controlled X basic lands or something but maybe my memory was off.

Those Enemy Manlands better be good!

kirblar

Ah ok, I thought I remembered something about a ETB tapped clause unless you controlled X basic lands or something but maybe my memory was off.

Those Enemy Manlands better be good!
That was my spec that they might do a more easily reprintable version of the Scars lands.

Suddenly the rumored allied-cycle of lands from BFZ makes sense in context w/ Guardians of Tazeem.

Yeah, with this as the new variant evolution of Landfall, the new lands would fill the exact same kind of role that the enemy fetches did in ZEN -- dual lands that enable the set's main mechanic while simultaneously being (presumably) super-playable on their own. Plus if they're good that's one more set of lands where they can fill a set down the road just by printing the enemy pairs.

Yeef

If Dual Lands are ally colors then it pushes mana bases toward shards rather than wedges, which could make cards like Siege Rhino and the other tri-color cards in standard less appealing. It could also just make 4-color decks more prominent. I'd expect to see a decent amount of pushed cards with weighted mana (CC or even CCC) to avoid that.

[EDIT] Also, played 6 games with the new Duel Deck. Eldrazi won every time. The Eldrazi deck has lots of cheap, aggressive creatures, lots of ramp (including 2 Mind Stones), Big Eldrazi to use any excess mana with and lots of removal. The Zendikar deck has a landfall theme and an ally theme, but neither in high enough numbers to synergize. The Zendikar deck needs the perfect draws to keep up with even sketchy hands on the Eldrazi side.

If Dual Lands are ally colors then it pushes mana bases toward shards rather than wedges, which could make cards like Siege Rhino and the other tri-color cards in standard less appealing. It could also just make 4-color decks more prominent. I'd expect to see a decent amount of pushed cards with weighted mana (CC or even CCC) to avoid that.

The rumor (which seems almost certain to be true) is one enemy cycle, one ally cycle.

If the rumor is true, then it's likely that the ally lands will all be spoiled at PAX while the enemy lands will be scattered throughout the spoiler weeks, since we know for a fact that each manland would be different, and I don't think they'd do two multicolor rare land cycles where each card is unique.

kirblar

If the rumor is true, then it's likely that the ally lands will all be spoiled at PAX while the enemy lands will be scattered throughout the spoiler weeks, since we know for a fact that each manland would be different, and I don't think they'd do two multicolor rare land cycles where each card is unique.
Yup. They'd probably spoil 1 enemy man land and then the entire cycle of the allys.

Yeef

The rumor (which seems almost certain to be true) is one enemy cycle, one ally cycle.
The rumor I heard was typed lands as ally and manlands as enemy. With the dual lands and the fetches both being ally it makes fetching a lot more powerful in shard colors rather than wedge colors. In a Bant deck, Heath and Strand both can hit all of your colors but, in a Jeskai deck, Strand only gets you 2 of your colors; you'd need to play pain lands or tapped lands to get your 3rd color, making the manabase slightly worse.

Of course, that all depends on the specific drawbacks of the dual lands, if they even exist.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The rumor I heard was that Infect was coming back and they're getting rid of the Reserve List for their 25th Anniversary.

Thanks Reddit!

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176757809]I wanna see some stupid 32-land deck that uses Atarka's Command to abuse landfall triggers.[/QUOTE]

I would be very surprised if this set doesn't have even more ways to put dumb lands on the battlefield.

Matriox

Hero of Goma Fada 4W

Human Knight Ally

Rally- Whenever Hero of Goma Fada or another Ally enters the battlefield under your control, creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn.

4/3

"They seek to break us. Let us show them our strength!"

Being a 5 drop I can't help but think its just more limited fodder, but it applies indestructible to all creatures, not just allies which is interesting.

Matriox

That card is bad, it's not even that great in limited (unless their just happen to be a ton of Ally creatures with flash in this set).

Essentially indestructible before combat (also add in additional ally triggers assuming there are a decent amount) seems great in limited. It will come down to how many common/uncommon allies there are.

duxstar

Rule #1 I've learned in my few years with magic ..........

Intro pack rares are never meant to be constructed playable, and I can't think of one that was spoiled that actually saw a decent amount of play in standard.

Essentially indestructible before combat (also add in additional ally triggers assuming there are a decent amount) seems great in limited. It will come down to how many common/uncommon allies there are.

It does nothing if you're already behind on the board. You tend to want your bombs to swing the game in your favor if you're behind and this guy simply helps you maintain. He's a decent tiebreaker but I wouldn't pick him until I'm already well committed to allies in a draft.

Matriox

It does nothing if you're already behind on the board. You tend to want your bombs to swing the game in your favor if you're behind and this guy simply helps you maintain. He's a decent tiebreaker but I wouldn't pick him until I'm already well committed to allies in a draft.

I guess I assume that about any tribal stuff though. I never said he was a bomb, I just said he was fodder. I would think any dedicated limited ally deck would welcome him with open arms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom