• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pretty cool.

79gBNCP.jpg

Yeef

Allies is gonna be a white/red thing I bet.
I'm guessing Zendikar will primarily be in Bant colors (green, white, blue) and Eldrazi will primarily be in Jund colors (black, red, green).

We already know that allies are going to be in green white and that Eldrazi are going to be in red black based on the preview cards in the duel deck. Blue doesn't really make much sense for the Eldrazi from a flavor standpoint and we know from the story, and art shown that Gideon, Nissa, Jace and Kiora are depicted on cards and they all fit into Bant colors.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm guessing Zendikar will primarily be in Bant colors (green, white, blue) and Eldrazi will primarily be in Jund colors (black, red, green).

We already know that allies are going to be in green white and that Eldrazi are going to be in red black based on the preview cards in the duel deck. Blue doesn't really make much sense for the Eldrazi from a flavor standpoint and we know from the story, and art shown that Gideon, Nissa, Jace and Kiora are depicted on cards and they all fit into Bant colors.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Forgot about that, yeah.

Wow at Forerunner.

Yeah, that could be constructed playable if there's enough colorless dudes around it (Hangarback Walker is one of them, of course)

Yuuya with the P1P1 Deadbridge shaman over a soulblade djinn.......what?

He was either trying to force the person to his left into blue or knew it was going to get cut pretty hard. Even then, why not take the removal?

EDIT: Or he's just super committed to aggro.

Interesting that the Hero of Goma Fada uses an ability word for the ally ability, "rally". I guess it makes sense to emphasize what's going on with the ally cards.

EDIT: Wait, rally.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'll be disappointed if the Eldrazi are restricted to certain colors. Devoid is already playing dangerously with 'colorless but not really" and if they're restricted in mana colors used to summon them as well then there's really not that much difference between them and Esper artifact creatures other than Esper creatures being targettable by things that hit artifacts and Eldrazi being targettable by things that hit colorless

Now if every Eldrazi has a different color alignment or something (Ulamog is R/B/G, Kozilek is U/W and Emrakrul is B/U/G or something) that might be okay

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Interesting that the Hero of Goma Fada uses an ability word for the ally ability, "rally". I guess it makes sense to emphasize what's going on with the ally cards.

That brought up an interesting question to me, which is whether cards can be reprinted without the ability word they were originally printed with (since ability words are functionally meaningless and just group cards with similar functionality together) or vice versa - for example, Zendikar's Roil has Landfall, but its not actually in Zendikar and therefore doesn't have the Landfall reminder text. If it was printed in BFZ, it would almost certainly just have Landfall.

Yeef

I'll be disappointed if the Eldrazi are restricted to certain colors. Devoid is already playing dangerously with 'colorless but not really" and if they're restricted in mana colors used to summon them as well then there's really not that much difference between them and Esper artifact creatures other than Esper creatures being targettable by things that hit artifacts and Eldrazi being targettable by things that hit colorless

Now if every Eldrazi has a different color alignment or something (Ulamog is R/B/G, Kozilek is U/W and Emrakrul is B/U/G or something) that might be okay
I don't think either side will be restricted from any of the colors outright, but for limited purposes they need to be focused in particular colors for the faction vs. faction thing to come through in gameplay. Much the way slivers were in all colors in M14 but primarily in Naya, I think we'll see allies and Eldrazi in all colors, but primarily in certain colors for draft purposes.

Angry Grimace

I would say green Eldrazi make no sense except there already was a green Eldrazi in ROE.

Just looking at it from a flavor/story perspective, I could see B/R have the meat of the Eldrazi cards in this set with the idea being that the Eldrazi have "consumed" those colors on Zendikar and are coming for the others. I assume the Eldrazi will fuck up Zendikar pretty good so the second set could see them moving into green and the other colors, possibly setting up a 5 color(less) archetype.

Angry Grimace

Just looking at it from a flavor/story perspective, I could see B/R have the meat of the Eldrazi cards in this set with the idea being that the Eldrazi have "consumed" those colors on Zendikar and are coming for the others. I assume the Eldrazi will fuck up Zendikar pretty good so the second set could see them moving into green and the other colors, possibly setting up a 5 color(less) archetype.

I imagine they'll just be scattered around in all colors. I'm not sure how well they can really spread around Landfall, Allies and Eldrazi in all 5 colors though.

The Technomancer

So the mechanics are Allies, Landfall, Devoid, Awaken and we assume Eldrazi Spawn? If I had to guess Landfall and Devoid are across all five colors and Awaken, Allies and Eldrazi Spawn are color focused.

Angry Grimace

Sure, but it's an actual keyword mechanic that's in the set so it should be noted alongside the others.

What he's saying is that Allies basically work identically to how they did in ZEN-WWK, they just added an ability word for the triggers on ETB. Allies and Rally aren't separate "mechanics" so to speak.

Jhriad

What he's saying is that Allies basically work identically to how they did in ZEN-WWK, they just added an ability word for the triggers on ETB. Allies and Rally aren't separate "mechanics" so to speak.

I don't really see Allies as a 'mechanic' so much as they're a theme/archetype. *shrug* Semantics, I suppose.

Angry Grimace

I don't really see Allies as a 'mechanic' so much as they're a theme/archetype. *shrug* Semantics, I suppose.

Well Allies don't have any reason to exist beyond Tribal synergy though - when they said "Allies are coming back!" we basically correctly took it to mean the mechanics from ZEN/WWK - which worked mostly exactly like Rally, just without a keyword. Its not really any more or less complicated than any other tribal stuff.

Jhriad

Well Allies don't have any reason to exist beyond Tribal synergy though - when they said "Allies are coming back!" we basically correctly took it to mean the mechanics from ZEN/WWK - which worked mostly exactly like Rally, just without a keyword. Its not really any more or less complicated than any other tribal stuff.

Yeah, I guess since I wasn't playing during the original Zendikar block they don't register as anything other than a creature type to me. I'm sure that'll change in a hurry once BFZ hits. Can it be prerelease weekend already?

kirblar

I suspect their viewership numbers are going to be absolutely disastrous for worlds. Running it at PAX was insane, given how much competition for eyeballs is happening. YT stream had ~2700 people viewing. That's not good.

Angry Grimace

The interesting thing about the spoiler is that I kind of thought that without Annihilator, the Eldrazi would be more reasonably costed (the way Oblivion Sower is), but it sounds like there's still plenty of big fuck-off huge dudes.

Owen Turtenwald: "I strongly believe that Demonic Pact is better than any uncommon or common in the set, but I didn't take it because I thought the Consul's Lieutenant gave me a better chance of not having a train wreck draft."

I swear I heard a Kappa while he was talking.

The Technomancer

The interesting thing about the spoiler is that I kind of thought that without Annihilator, the Eldrazi would be more reasonably costed (the way Oblivion Sower is), but it sounds like there's still plenty of big fuck-off huge dudes.

At a guess Eldrazi spawn are back in order to allow you to ramp into big dudes, but big dudes aren't as common as they were before (or Common, rather). I'm guessing a bunch of slots that are normally 5-6 mana Uncommons and Rares are now 8-10 mana

Yeef

Makes Modern legal, too. I don't think it'll see much player there, but I always love it when old cards make it into newer formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom