• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devoid seems more like a limited mechanic than anything. I mean, do we keep forgetting Siege Rhino exists? Maybe the eldrazi will grow wings or something. :lol

Don't forget that Gray Merchant was dominating Standard before Khans. I'm not gonna spec too heavily, but if Eldrazi are playable I expect Ugin to be as well.

Firemind

I don't understand the analogy. Gray Merchant became good when it released, not the other way around. When RTR block rotated out, so did its viability.

I'm going to support the motion that we call the BFZ duals "Tangolands."

Opened the thread just now with the intention of posting exactly this.

I'm not totally, absolutely, immovably set on this option, but most of the things people are suggesting on twitter are ghastly. "Slow lands" is entirely undescriptive. "Laglands" is actively misleading. "Check duals" is ultra confusing. (Just in general the idea that people use "dual" to refer only to lands with basic types is not accurate.) "Basic duals" is even worse. "Zen duals" is strictly incorrect. Anything playing on this being the third land you play is too close to trilands. The only one I've seen that is tolerable is "countlands" but tango is way cooler.

Honesty I'm a little surprised WotC didn't have a pre-planned nickname for these, they've started doing that a lot more often to keep people from settling on anything brand-inappropriate.

I don't understand the analogy. Gray Merchant became good when it released, not the other way around. When RTR block rotated out, so did its viability.

That's what I'm saying about Siege Rhino. We don't know if it's gonna stay dominant just because it's so good in this format.

Noah Bradley island, BAH GAWD!

Wow, these are gorgeous. (And not laden with hedrons.) The mountain in particular is probably fighting it out with Veronique's for my favorite full-art mountain (and just ahead of the original Unglued one.)

Actually, Noah Bradley did my favorite mountain in Origins too:

265.jpg

Guys, they will never be $500. Each case will likely have one or maybe two Expeditions which would mean that one card would make up for the whole cost of the case, excluding the other 216 rares.

By my math an expedition should show up just over every two cases. They won't be $500 upfront (that'd still mean the possibility of getting one of these would soak up a whole dollar of EV on every pack) but they should comfortably come out to $200ish, and they'll just go up from there once the set's OOP.

f0rk

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";176953857]That's what I'm saying about Siege Rhino. We don't know if it's gonna stay dominant just because it's so good in this format.[/QUOTE]

I get what you're saying but Siege Rhino is so much better in a vacuum the comparison doesn't really hold up

Not sure where they got them, but mythicspoiler has almost all the full-art basics. Overall they look excellent to me -- I'm glad that they at least didn't waste the opportunity on underwhelming art. Plus they reprinted Veronique's mountain!

Jhriad

Not sure where they got them, but mythicspoiler has almost all the full-art basics. Overall they look excellent to me -- I'm glad that they at least didn't waste the opportunity on underwhelming art. Plus they reprinted Veronique's mountain!

Damn. Adam Paquette and Noah Bradley really killed it with a few of those. Bradley especially.

From a guy who also called the exact text of Gideon on this site 22 days ago comes Ob Nixilis:

I've seen his pw card from a friend of mine that works for wizards.
He is a 3BB
+1 draw a card, lose a life
-3 destroy target creature
-8 target opponent gets an emblem that say "when you draw a card lose 2 life"
I cannot remember if he starts at 4 or 5

Also, just for anyone who missed it, the how-obvious-can-we-make-it red/white manland art:

Damn. Adam Paquette and Noah Bradley really killed it with a few of those. Bradley especially.

Bradley's are my favorite but I like Sam Burley's better overall than Paquette's. The first set they showed us are the worst across the board!

These new lands are gorgeous.

Yeah, I take back my complaint about saving them for BFZ. I still think Maro was unusually disingenuous about this, but I appreciate that they gave us straight-up gorgeous full-art lands instead of making them too specifically Zendikar-y.

Daedardus

Totally agree with the lands-are-gorgeous. I only don't like the reprinted Forest one, not found of the way it's painted.

By my math an expedition should show up just over every two cases. They won't be $500 upfront (that'd still mean the possibility of getting one of these would soak up a whole dollar of EV on every pack) but they should comfortably come out to $200ish, and they'll just go up from there once the set's OOP.

$200 seems more reasonable if they are indeed as rare as they say. But it has been said that they are slightly more common than a mythic foil, which appears in 1:216 boosters and since a case contains 216 boosters, each case has a big chance of containing one expedition.

How many lands are there in a fat pack?

80 basic lands + 9 from the boosters.

40 lands in a fat pack.

These new lands are gorgeous.

They changed it to 80 some time ago, and I expect them to keep it at this.

$200 seems more reasonable if they are indeed as rare as they say. But it has been said that they are slightly more common than a mythic foil, which appears in 1:216 boosters and since a case contains 216 boosters, each case has a big chance of containing one expedition.

Oh, that number's lower than the ones I found (though some extra research suggests it's probably closer to right.) In that case they might well settle at $100 on average, I can't really see these sucking up more than about fifty cents of value a pack.

Thirty-five bucks for 89 full-art lands (plus, y'know, some other cards too) sounds like a pretty good deal! I'm not sure if this means that BFZ full-arts will settle way below the price of ZEN ones or if there'll just be massive runs on the fat pack product.

I really hate the new frame proportions so much on the full art lands. :(

Overall I really like the look of the expedition lands but I really don't get why they did the translucent background instead of the white-outlined text approach.

bigkrev

Totally agree with the lands-are-gorgeous. I only don't like the reprinted Forest one, not found of the way it's painted.

The other thing is that there are 10 Fetches and 15 other cards that aren't eternal playable, and thus desirable. On average, less than half of these cards you open will be fetches.

Daedardus

Oh, that number's lower than the ones I found (though some extra research suggests it's probably closer to right.) In that case they might well settle at $100 on average, I can't really see these sucking up more than about fifty cents of value a pack.

That was the number I found and seems also based on experience from people who open around a foil mythic each case. I doubt they'll make these expeditions a 1:10 boxes, since even WotC knows there's much demand in these things.

Thirty-five bucks for 89 full-art lands (plus, y'know, some other cards too) sounds like a pretty good deal! I'm not sure if this means that BFZ full-arts will settle way below the price of ZEN ones or if there'll just be massive runs on the fat pack product.

I think the Zendikar full arts will drop price again until BFZ is well out of rotation. It's the thing that always happens with reprints, seeing as the shocklands are also severely reduced in price compared to when I stopped playing.

Overall I really like the look of the expedition lands but I really don't get why they did the translucent background instead of the white-outlined text approach.

I think I like it better this way. The other full-art promos are usually distracting for the text, and I think it's still good that cards have their text on them. Mostly because I play with people who aren't familiar with all the names and functions and would have no idea what the card is actually doing.

The other thing is that there are 10 Fetches and 15 other cards that aren't eternal playable, and thus desirable. On average, less than half of these cards you open will be fetches.

The shocks are still playable and if they all have the art like Steam vents, I'm all for it. Their price is just lower now because they have been reprinted recently. It's true that you do have a 1:5 chance of opening some poop, though.

Jhriad

I really hate the new frame proportions so much on the full art lands. :(

Yeah, the new frame on the full art basics isn't great. I'd much prefer the frame to be either curved on top and bottom or, even better, eliminate that curved bit entirely. The frame on the expedition lands is kind of ugly as well, imo.

BlackJace

Given that Boros Humans wants to be super aggressive, mainly relying on cards like Champion of the Parish, you want to get really low to the ground. That said, this is a draft (of a Cube?), so I just recommend cutting Infectious Bloodlust and Form of the Dragon, and maybe Vigilante Justice.

Yeah I only had Form of the Dragon to get the benefit of Finest hour. Thanks

Hero

Yeah, I take back my complaint about saving them for BFZ. I still think Maro was unusually disingenuous about this, but I appreciate that they gave us straight-up gorgeous full-art lands instead of making them too specifically Zendikar-y.

Yeah, I like how they gave us a nice mix of hey this is Zendikar and just really lovely basics.

Oh I didn't know they changed it to 80. That's awesome.

Oh, I meant the basics. The black box at the bottom really hurts

I kind of hate the curve at the top more than the black bar. Why can't they just use the Unhinged frame?

BfZ trailer with embarrassing Nissa narration. I don't think I'll put this in the OT.

Source
razzledazzlerasputin asked: I love the new full art lands! Will all of the basic lands be full art, or will some be "normal" in BFZ?

All the basic land in Battle for Zendikar boosters is full art.

So Processors may do more than make Scions
captainmcnigguh asked: So after the spoilers of yesterday: Why Oblivion Sower is not a processor ?

Processors specifically use up some number of exiled cards owned by the opponent for an effect.

Expedition takes the place of a foil, as expected
darksteelartificer asked: Which card do the Zendikar Expedition lands replace in booster packs?

I think they replace a common but I am only 80% sure of that answer.

Firemind

Basically, you get three more packs for the price you pay for a fat pack. That's three more chances to open money cards. Although, if I remember correctly, people here who bought fat packs opened a lot of money cards, so who knows? Maybe they like to distribute the money cards into the fat packs.

Daedardus

Basically, you get three more packs for the price you pay for a fat pack. That's three more chances to open money cards. Although, if I remember correctly, people here who bought fat packs opened a lot of money cards, so who knows? Maybe they like to distribute the money cards into the fat packs.

Opened my first fat pack in years, was a Magic Origins one. Got a Jace, Hangarback Walker, Lanquish and a Goblin Piledriver. Didn't expect to break even :p.

Jhriad

From Twitter:
CNrV_joWgAAyaEA.jpg:large

What could have been...

Maybe they like to distribute the money cards into the fat packs.

The sorting process seems different for fat packs but I haven't exactly opened up enough product for a statistically significant sample size. Weirdly all of the fat packs I've opened have had at least one mythic and a foil rare/mythic. Two of them had two mythics and a foil mythic. *shrug*

Maledict

Either way, the new Ulamog blows because those silly arms look silly, especially with the CG shading and colouring. Could we go bother someone about this recent development?

The quality of art has been through the floor the last few sets. CG is being used, presumably because it ties into their online stuff, but it's utterly souless and dreadful. I'm really not sure how anyone with any shred of artistic integrity could sign off on Omnath for example.

Matriox

Love the art, can't wait to see it with better quality, but damn I really hate that weird bar at the bottom. Maybe seeing it in its glory will change my mind.

Edit: I'm dumb, just realized the bottom bar is also the border. Still don't love it, but I like it a little more now realizing that lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lol it's not going to be $500 while BFZ is in print. Probably $300 or so.

Its like one Scalding Tarn per something dumb like 50+ cases.

All I'm saying is you're gonna be vaguely pissed when you get a Zendikar Expedition Tangoland.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Trying to figure out why they are letting you reanimate Ulamog. Was the shuffle effect too powerful?

They could just use Blightsteel's reanimate clause if it was. I think the idea is that Ulamog-2 isn't actually as backbreaking as Ulamog-1 because it doesn't have annhilator, especially if you skip out on the Cast clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom