• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

A mythic appears in one out of every eight packs. Foils are 60 times as rare as non-foils of the same rarity, so one every 480 packs.

So, to get a playset of these new fetches, you would need to theoretically open 19,200 boosters, and thats assuming you don't get a single Shock or new land

Have fun kids!

Yeef

I think even if they don't show anything else from the set before it's released, this set will sell gangbusters.

Oh, just realized, this is Battle for Zendikar's equivalent of the Buried Treasures thing from the first Zendikar, where they put already-printed Reserved List cards in boosters.

EDIT: Thread title for the OT:
Magic: Battle for Zendikar |OT| Wallet-Sculpting once again

Hero

Oh, just realized, this is Battle for Zendikar's equivalent of the Buried Treasures thing from the first Zendikar, where they put already-printed Reserved List cards in boosters.

Yup I was wondering at the beginning if there would be hidden treasures and here we are.

Yeef

I think set 2 will have the full-cycle of manlands as the ultra mega super lands.

10 shocks
10 fetches
5 new duals

10 man lands
Not sure what the second cycle will be. Maybe the filterlands? I can't think of another 10-land modern cycle that would be highly sought after.

hort

Neo Member
New card from gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/check-out-this-new-card-for-the-magic-battle-for-z/1100-6430167/

2930029-card.png

So, these full art fetches/shocks will be, what, $250 apiece?

Judge fetchlands are about $200 a pop, so yeah, somewhere in that neighborhood.

EDIT: Thread title for the OT:
Magic: Battle for Zendikar |OT| Wallet-Sculpting once again

Putting Quest Counters on Wallet's-End Expedition

Set 2 = Man Lands + another 10 card cycle. ( Or the 5 enemy BFZ duals and a 5-part cycle.)

But which though! There aren't actually that many desirable ones....

Wait this is really confusing. So which lands are going to be standard legal? Just the new allied duals?

Mark said only two cycles of ten between both sets or was that just for BFZ?

BFZ, the expansion set, includes two cycles of dual lands: the new basic-type allied twolands, and the enemy manlands we haven't seen yet. Anything in the set itself is standard legal.

Inserted rarely into BFZ packs are cards from the "Zendikar Expeditions" special promo set, which contains 45 cards. 25 of those packed in with BFZ: the twolands, all ten shocklands, and all ten fetchlands. All of these are foil, extended art, and legal only wherever the cards will otherwise be legal. "Sweat" will add another 20 lands to this set, which could be two more cycles of ten, a cycle of ten and two cycles of five, or yet something else, and these too will be legal only where they would otherwise be legal.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So how good are these twolands going to be anyway? Being searchable is good, but how many competitive decks are going to have two basics by turn 3?

Dreavus

Hopefully new duals means I can shore up some holes in my cube's mana base without declaring bankruptcy. Not the pretty mythic ones, of course.

Just watching the world champs has improved my play a lot. One of the things I've been focusing on lately is recognizing when to play for cards or to play for tempo, and champs has really helped me pick out these situations. My win rate is going up in the midrange mirrors which is exciting.

So how good are these twolands going to be anyway? Being searchable is good, but how many competitive decks are going to have two basics by turn 3?

These new duals are insane.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They'd be better as a 10-land cycle since then you could fix wedges very effectively, but I still think they'll be pretty good.

What are the odds the other five are in Sweat? If they're taking this opportunity to blow out mega expensive fancy versions of the most desirable lands it would be a waste to leave this cycle incomplete

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I mean, they're sexy and all, but Super Mythic rarity is unnecessary bullshit. It feels very much like telling certain tax brackets that they're not wanted is becoming less of an unfortunate byproduct and more official company policy.

Jhriad

Wait, are the full art fetches and shocks foil or not?

I thought they said they were all foil but I might have misheard.

EDIT: What slot will they take up in the pack? Are they going to fill the land slot? Does anyone else not care for the border on those full art fetches and shocks?

duxstar

Legitimately hate myself because I know I will pay a high price for a playset of the new full art ally dual g/w land. Maybe if it's like $200 i will just buy 1 a month and have people that dont play magic think that I'm crazy.

I've already given up hope on ever seeing any of the full art fetches, and I draft a ton. As far as the actual cards go.

Gideon is Awesome, should see lots of standard play and makes white weenie viable again, Ulamog is better or worse depending on how you view the whole shuffle back into your graveyard and his cast ability. In EDH my Ulamog is there to be an Indestructble beat stick that I put out a few turns early or late to close a game and to stop someone from milling me out (along with a few other cards), so the whole able to go to graveyard kind of sucks for me. I really don't know how viable a ramp strategy with 10 drops are in standard though, so I will reserve judgement, I wasn't around for the last Eldrazi block.

Hopefully the new Hero's downfall stay's the way it is and we don't get 2 in the same blue but I doubt that's the only creaure/planeswalker killer in the block, there's no way we dont have something that kills planeswalkers at instant speed, right ?

I don't know how big ingest is going to play a role iin everything but in order to make it good we will need alot of creatures with it, if the rares are only taking 2 at a time. It is interesting that on the one rare that you put 2 cards from exile into their graveyard for 3 1/1's, with jace and den protector running around, definitely makes for some interesting gameplay decisions (do i give them back a kill spell for 3 1/1's if i know they have Tasigur in their deck ?)

Radiant flames feels like a worse anger of the gods, and the other rares (omnath, vampire chick, Oran) all seem like EDH only cards, of course i could be dead wrong but at 7 mana dragonlord atarka just seem's like the better card.

Definitely excited about the spoilers so far, really hoping that they expand on the ally thing a little more, I'm expecting my favorite colors (/g/w) to fall into that camp and can't wait to see what else they might come up with. As it is Gideon is great if you think of him in this context. He's a 4 mana 5/5 that brings along a 2/2 ally with him. If he doesn't see standard play i will be pretty surprised.

All in all a fun night, just hated hearing about the zendikar's treasure thing though, because I really do like the look of the full art ally lands but know I will never get a playset of them in any of the other colors because they are so rare =/. Should be an interesting limited set though, interested to see if they can balance it so its not all durdle or all aggro to beat the durdle decks that are trying to get to 8 + 9 mana.

Toxi

Banned
I mean, they're sexy and all, but Super Mythic rarity is unnecessary bullshit. It feels very much like telling certain tax brackets that they're not wanted is becoming less of an unfortunate byproduct and more official company policy.
I don't mind as long as it's restricted to stuff like alternate art. They add more to the collectible aspect of the game without screwing over those who just want to play with the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom