• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Twitter:
CNrV_joWgAAyaEA.jpg:large

What could have been...

Honestly, looking at these mockups makes me more convinced that they did the right thing. They were never going to do the far-right one, and the outlined text is too busy in the middle one.

CG is being used, presumably because it ties into their online stuff, but it's utterly souless and dreadful.

A big portion of Magic art has been digital for like a decade, that's not really new. The issue really just comes down to what artists are in use -- like, besides a few pieces I'm not particularly a fan of Brad Rigney's work anyway.

Toxi

Banned
Honestly, I'm just waiting for Raymond Swanland's inevitable contribution to the set.

I love his art for creepy creatures like Caustic Crawler.

Caustic%20Crawler.jpg

Matriox

HcI2DDv.jpg

Huh, my post didn't show up for some reason, trying again.

Sorry if this double posted, I can't see a previous post and not sure why it didn't go.

HcI2DDv.jpg

Huh, my post didn't show up for some reason, trying again.

Sorry if this double posted, I can't see a previous post and not sure why it didn't go.

And Nissa's story arc for this set looks just as terrible as I expected.
Triple landfall triggers is fine for a rare.

Bandini

Man, that Hallowed Fountain. I usually don't care much about aesthetics, but that makes me want to drop some dollar bills. Despite already having a regular playset.

Bandini

Sorry GB, Owen is no John Cena. My boy Seth has got this.

Unrelated: Seth reminds me of the fail upward guy from Silicon Valley.

Sorry GB, Owen is no John Cena. My boy Seth has got this.

Honestly, I think in a first to ten or twenty Seth would win maybe 70% of games just based on his decklist. But with a relatively short set it can get crazy. Seth's 2-for-1s being Planeswalkers and Owen's being Read the Bones is huge.

And the Twitch Chat is just mocking Siege Rhino.

I've only been playing seriously since FRF and even I'm sick of Siege Rhino. It's just too durdly/overused. I mean, it's insanely good, but it's still overused.

Firemind

Honestly, I'm just waiting for Raymond Swanland's inevitable contribution to the set.

I love his art for creepy creatures like Caustic Crawler.

Caustic%20Crawler.jpg
Raymond Swanland is the reason why Alara block is better than Khans block. His contributions in Khans are mediocre. Again, I blame the art director. I mean, you only have to look at goblins. They went from this to this.

kirblar

LSV just nailed the line that wins the game for Seth (Pump Owen's Courser, Minus Elspeth.)

This lets you knock Ugin to 2, keeping the board from wiping.

Seth missed it.

edit: Getting a downfall off the top works too.

bigkrev

For a Mulligan to 4 Lands, Toughtsieze, and Read the Bones, hell of a performance by Owen, even if I had no clue how he could win that game.

kirblar

For a Mulligan to 4 Lands, Toughtsieze, and Read the Bones, hell of a performance by Owen, even if I had no clue how he could win that game.
Seth actually got bailed out. He missed the sequence LSV nailed that would left Owen with a board of Ugin at 2.

If he doesn't rip that Downfall, Seth is in rough shape.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Nissa card from BFZ seems exactly like all the Nissa cards in Origins.

bigkrev

Did they even confirm that all basics in this set are full art? Didn't Zen have regular basics along with the full art ones?

Intro packs/Land Stations/Deckbuilders Toolkit/Event Decks will have normal lands, Fat Packs and Boosters will have full-art

Yeef

Every booster that does not have a full art fetch/shock will have one.
Even the ones with the ultra-rares should have one; if Maro is correct, the ultra-lands replace foils, which typically replace a single common in the pack, not the basic land.

duxstar

It still boggles my mind how in a world of siege rhinos they decided to print languish. It's another one of those stories that r and d shouldn't have tinkered too much (Siege rhino was originally a 3/4 , but at the last minute got changed to a 4/5).

It's not even the body it's the life point swing that requires any deck to do almost 25 points of damage while fighting through tons of removal and the 4/5 body

It still boggles my mind how in a world of siege rhinos they decided to print languish. It's another one of those stories that r and d shouldn't have tinkered too much (Siege rhino was originally a 3/4 , but at the last minute got changed to a 4/5).

It's not even the body it's the life point swing that requires any deck to do almost 25 points of damage while fighting through tons of removal and the 4/5 body
I played some Abzan aggro early in the block, and the rhino is genuinely a game-changer when it hits the board.

bigkrev

I think it's more of a case that the mana is a bit too good right now. 1GWB is a restrictive cost, but an average to slightly below average hand from an Abzan deck will have no problems casting this card on curve. This format isn't as bad as Lorwyn-Shards, where you could play Cloudthresher, Cryptic Command and Cruel Ultimatum in the same deck, but I think that our new standard- which will have Ally Fetches and Basic Dual Lands, and enemy Manlands and Painlands in addition to several weaker options at lower rarities- will be a better experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom