• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriox

Were the planeswalkers! You can be one too! Saving Zendikar is the thing to do!

too long, but I get captain planet vibes from this whole oathwatchthing

MtG: Battle for Zendikar |OT| You're gonna Needron some Hedrons

MtG: Battle for Zendikar |OT| Attack the Rocks

MtG: Battle for Zendikar |OT| It's Less of a Battle and More of a Tactical Retreat

MtG: Battle for Zendikar |OT| The Eldrazi want some unless your Mana is Done.

MtG: Battle for Zendikar |OT| Nissa's Racism died for this Block

MtG: Battle for Zendikar |OT| Cards against Eldrazi

MtG: Battle for Zendikar |OT| Origins of the Film Franchise

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magic: the Gathering Battle for Zendikar |OT| Attack on Cardboard Titan

Its reasonably close, but you're clearly on a mission to shoot down every name isn't tangolands.

Only the ones that are bad.

It's definitely a great idea- but so many bizarre decisions were being made. Hosts that are only tangentially connected to MTG. (Reddit's enthusiastic Day9 suggestion makes SO much more sense) Spoiling all the cards on twitter beforehand so there's no energy in the audience when they're revealed.

Renton seems like an incredibly insular place re: culture right now - LGSes I've been in are full of normal people being weekend warriors, not GEEK CULTURE people.

The spoiling everything early was the really bizarre part. If you've got 10 cards to work with, spoil one or two saucy ones beforehand (maybe Gideon) but save the rest for the show, when everyone watching will get pumped about them.

I don't think it's a bubble problem exactly. R&D does get a decent amount of new blood, which is mostly from dedicated players but not OMG NURD types. Ashly Burch isn't even a bad choice, she's popular for talking about games on camera, but the format of the show actively cuts against what anyone who likes her videos would find entertaining. If you want to do this sort of thing, get your Youtube celeb to do some pre-recorded buffers and put the live people in something more like a panel situation and less like a variety show.

Do people actually buy those for themselves or do they receive them as gifts from their family? My friend's sister bought him a subscription and he basically just tosses the whole thing in the garbage as soon as it comes in.

They definitely buy them, collect dumb pop figurines, like loot crate on facebook, wear shirts from loot crates in to work despite being too young to get the dorky property pictured on the shirt... fake geek guys, basically.

So, inspired by a similar thread over on Salvation, which cards from Theros and M15 are you going to miss? Which ones won't you miss?

• Will Miss
  • Ulcerate (bar-none the most underrated and underused card in M15. It's a staple in my B decks)
  • Xenagos the Reveler (he feels like the essence of what a G/R walker should be)
  • Satyr Wayfinder (Delve is gonna miss him dearly)
  • Garruk, Apex Predator (G/B is my favorite combo from a flavor perspective)

Won't Miss
  • Courser of Kruphix (overpowered and oversaturated card, don't let the door hit you on your ass)
  • Hornet Queen and Hornet's Nest (go die in a fire
    9I1LV7e.gif
    )

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Good god. I just got to handle a proxy this guy got off eBay of a dual land and I couldn't tell the difference at all until I held up a real Revised card next to it. The differences in look and feel could literally be entirely attributed to the age of the real card. o_O

OnPoint

Good god. I just got to handle a proxy this guy got off eBay of a dual land and I couldn't tell the difference at all until I held up a real Revised card next to it. The differences in look and feel could literally be entirely attributed to the age of the real card. o_O

This worries me somewhat.

Angry Grimace

This worries me somewhat.

I've handled some really shitty fakes before, but nothing about this suggested fake at all outside of the brightest light right next to a legit Revised land (I didn't have another real dual to compare with).

OnPoint

I've handled some really shitty fakes before, but nothing about this suggested fake at all outside of the brightest light right next to a legit Revised land (I didn't have another real dual to compare with).

Not gonna lie, there's a part of my brain telling me to sell out of my duals now before a crash.

What I'm getting out of this is that you could tell the card was a fake just by holding it next to a real version.

Angry Grimace

What I'm getting out of this is that you could tell the card was a fake just by holding it next to a real version.
I mean only if you told me the real version was the real one. The only difference I could see was that real cards have yellowed over time, but I only had a basic land to compare with so a sleeved dual might look identical.

ElyrionX

Over the past few months, I've bought about ten duals, most were in mint condition. This gives me no comfort at all. People need to stop pretending that this is not a very real issue.

EDIT: Is it possible for a real dual to not have yellowed over time if it's always been sleeved?

Angry Grimace

I mean, you can tell if you just look at the cards printing and edges really closely, the borders should be all equally thick on all sides, and on this one they weren't (like the black border on the edge got kind of dull and thin, which is noticeable on white-bordered cards), but its not something I'd ever, ever notice in a game because I'm sitting across from the guy and the card doesn't look obviously off.

But if you look real close and it looks just like a regular old Revised land (which are plentiful and cost nothing), its probably fine. I'd say its still about a generation off from being indistinguishable to the naked eye from what I saw, since the thickness and feel of the card was pretty spot on.

Jhriad

EDIT: Is it possible for a real dual to not have yellowed over time if it's always been sleeved?

Sleeves weren't really a common thing for a number of years there but it's possible if it were stored properly and not exposed to much light. Have you looked at the Duals real close using a jeweler's loupe? The fakes are getting close enough that they're passing a number of the common tests nowadays.

Angry Grimace

This is one of things that mostly just makes me think "man the Reserved List is horseshit."

ElyrionX

Sleeves weren't really a common thing for a number of years there but it's possible if it were stored properly and not exposed to much light. Have you looked at the Duals real close using a jeweler's loupe? The fakes are getting close enough that they're passing a number of the common tests nowadays.

No I only did a light test. I bought it from a guy whom I know personally and whom a local LGS owner vouches for. I don't think he would try to pass off a fake as a real to me but it could very well be a case of him not knowing it's fake.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This is one of things that mostly just makes me think "man the Reserved List is horseshit."

Yup. The market is speaking. It will get the cards it wants to play with. The only question now is "how much money is WotC willing to leave on the table."

And before we get into the tired reserved list argument again, they could still do a gold-bordered cube product with most of the cards people want to play with. It may not kill counterfeits (nothing will) but short of abolishing the reserve list and being more aggressive than a newborn kitten with repritnts, that's their best option for tackling the root cause of why counterfeits are wanted.

Yeah, it's true.
I bought some revised dual proxies off eBay, with blue core. They are amazing in quality but obviously I'm not going to try and sell them.
Buyer beware right now.

hort

Neo Member
What would happen if someone tried to play in a tournament in one of these fakes that look enough like the real thing that you couldn't tell by glancing at it?

I'm guessing most opponents wouldn't be able to tell unless they picked the card up and examined it next to a real one?

What would happen if you got caught? disqualification? Banned from tournaments? What if you bought it thinking it was real and didn't realize it wasn't?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What would happen if someone tried to play in a tournament in one of these fakes that look enough like the real thing that you couldn't tell by glancing at it?

I'm guessing most opponents wouldn't be able to tell unless they picked the card up and examined it next to a real one?

What would happen if you got caught? disqualification? Banned from tournaments? What if you bought it thinking it was real and didn't realize it wasn't?

The fakes are so good now I imagine there are no real circumstances where you'd be caught. Judges aren't taking a jewelers' loupe to every card in a tournament with hundreds or even thousands of players.

hort

Neo Member
The fakes are so good now I imagine there are no real circumstances where you'd be caught. Judges aren't taking a jewelers' loupe to every card in a tournament with hundreds or even thousands of players.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. The fact that these can be seen as tournament playable cards since there is such a small chance of getting caught is crazy.

ultron87

If someone caught you (as unlikely as that is) the fakes would get confiscated, and the judges would try to figure out if you knew you were using fakes or not. If you convince them you didn't know you'd get the opportunity to replace them from a vendor or put basic lands in their place and (I think) you'd get a game loss for deck/deck list problem. If they think you knew what you were doing you would get DQed. That could lead to a ban from Wizards for a bit.

OnPoint

Makes me glad my duals are real, but it kind of cheapens the feeling a bit.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I bought an unlimited trop island years ago at a grand prix and have enjoyed watching its value climb over the years. If some muthafuckas with their fakies screw with the value I will have to burn something down. I don't know what, but something.

Although after finally completing my prior goal of a playset of noble heiarchs and goyfs and a stack of fetchlands, it would be nice to get a price break as I pursue my new two year goal of obtaining a usable amount of duals.

Is this too much to ask for? :p

Inquisition of Ulamog B
Sorcery
Target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a colorless card from it. That player discards that card.

Dem feel bads.

duxstar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";177452555]Is this too much to ask for? :p

Inquisition of Ulamog B
Sorcery
Target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a colorless card from it. That player discards that card.

Dem feel bads.[/QUOTE]

Yes , discard spells too op

Jhriad

I think they talked about this during one of the recent MTGGoldfish podcasts. One of them was talking about spotting a bunch of fakes recently at a large Legacy event and not bothering to call a judge about it. The way they talked about it they're already so rampant that it's largely ignored unless they're glaringly bad fakes or it's pretty obvious that a very large portion of your deck is counterfeit. In those obvious cases of knowingly using counterfeits ultron covered WotC & event coordinator actions pretty well.

I don't even know how you can tell duals are real or fake.

Check the blacks to see if they were printed on top of the colored layer or if they were obviously printed at the same time, dot pattern, blue core, bend test, light test, water bead test, etc. Basically, have a jeweler's loupe ready if you're looking to acquire any relatively expensive cards that don't have the holographic stamp thing.

kirblar

I think they talked about this during one of the recent MTGGoldfish podcasts. One of them was talking about spotting a bunch of fakes recently at a large Legacy event and not bothering to call a judge about it. The way they talked about it they're already so rampant that it's largely ignored unless they're glaringly bad fakes or it's pretty obvious that a very large portion of your deck is counterfeit. In those obvious cases of knowingly using counterfeits ultron covered WotC & event coordinator actions pretty well.
I strongly suspect Duals are not more expensive because of near-indistinguishable fakes that entered the market a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom