• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tibalt's Mischief
2R
Instant
Shuffle your library, then reveal the top card of it. Counter target spell unless it's controller pays X, where X is the converted mana cost of the revealed card.

lol I love it

Tibalt's Mischief 1RR
Instant
Reveal the top card of your library. Counter target spell unless it's controller pays X, where X is the converted mana cost of the revealed card. If a spell was countered this way, draw a card. Otherwise, CARDNAME deals X damage to you.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166715983]lol I love it

Tibalt's Mischief 1RR
Instant
Reveal the top card of your library. Counter target spell unless it's controller pays X, where X is the converted mana cost of the revealed card. If a spell was countered this way, draw a card. Otherwise, CARDNAME deals X damage to you.[/QUOTE]

Like Top needs more cards that synergize with it. I was considering 'reveal - then counter, if not shuffle Mischief back in, then draw a card' but went for the simpler execution.

Do you guys know which Daily event throughout the day Wizards pick to feature in these decklists?

I just 3-1'd the 4 PM PST Legacy Daily, I'm excited to potentially see my name on a decklist. :3

Geez la weez, Blood Moon keeps rising... =X

Ah darn, mine only had like 25 or so. I'm sure the 9 PM daily will hit more. :/

Blood Moon seems like a card I should have a billion of, and yet I don't have any. A damn shame. I might've gone for the Space Black Stainless Apple watch instead of the Space Black Sport if I was sitting on some.

The one card I wish wasn't on the reserved list was Intuition. I still have 7 of those fucking things, and they're not getting any more expensive. :(

Blood Moon seems like a card I should have a billion of, and yet I don't have any. A damn shame. I might've gone for the Space Black Stainless Apple watch instead of the Space Black Sport if I was sitting on some.

The one card I wish wasn't on the reserved list was Intuition. I still have 7 of those fucking things, and they're not getting any more expensive. :(

Intuition is still pretty pricey for a card that is played as a 1 or 2 of in only one deck in Legacy (Omnitell) and some variants don't run it at all.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/tempest/intuition

If they bend the color pie too much in supplemental products, they'll have another case of the 'Planar Chaos' problem, wherein people (maybe even WotC employees) will point at the places where the pie was bent as a precedent for future bending. Slippery slope and all that.

I don't think this is a big problem. They print all kinds of wackyshack shit in the supplemental products already, including frequent reprints of stuff that was wacky in PC (how many printings has Harmonize had now?) Is Song of the Dryads causing any real-world problems for anyone now except maybe Rosewater being irritated at having to answer questions about it?

I don't think this is a big problem. They print all kinds of wackyshack shit in the supplemental products already, including frequent reprints of stuff that was wacky in PC (how many printings has Harmonize had now?) Is Song of the Dryads causing any real-world problems for anyone now except maybe Rosewater being irritated at having to answer questions about it?

Well, Hornet Queen

Though I can't imagine it will be too much of a problem anymore in Standard. I'm all for supplemental products being more experimental with the color pie.

Well, Hornet Queen

Hornet Queen was a net positive to the game when it got printed in Commander as a weird playing piece for the token and reanimation strategies in the Abzan precon; it just becomes a problem when it shows up in M15. The solution to that isn't to have Rosewater be the fun police for the Commander decks, it's to have him watch out for the color pie in the Standard sets that sell 50x as many cards. (Which is going to happen anyway, now that core sets are gone.)

I'd play another dragon in the main of my 4CDC deck but Hornet Queen is so busted.

Probably Kolaghan for a "build your own elesh norn" with Silumgar.

Exokell

Banned
People stopped playing hornet queen, right? Anyway piloting mono green with atarka, played against heroic deck and i cant do anything against that deck. Its like autowin for them. What sideboard cards do you guys recommend?

People stopped playing hornet queen, right? Anyway piloting mono green with atarka, played against heroic deck and i cant do anything against that deck. Its like autowin for them. What sideboard cards do you guys recommend?

Hornet Nest, Nylea's Disciple, Ugin

Briber's Purse/Deserter's Quarters/Tyrant's Machine secret tech

duxstar

I'm 99% sure there is no way they can beat a Bribers Purse for 5, or an Ugin for that matter, how quickly are you ramping ? If you go .... Mystic , turn 2 Carytid , Turn 3 Bribers Purse x = 4 and have any of your big creatures you should win almost all of those games.

The question you have to ask yourself is how much of your sideboard do you want to devote to beating 1 deck you might not see in your average fnm tournament

Exokell

Banned
Bribers purse seems the perfect sideboard card. Heroic seems to be popular online so, i definitely need something for it.

G.ZZZ

Tibalt's Mischief R
Instant
Exile the top card of your opponent's library. You may exchange that card with a card on the stack (you can do this only if the exiled card is not a land. That card owner still decide its targets)

Seems shitty (it's card and mana disadvantage), but it's red so who care. Red second best color at manipulating sorceries and instants, 0 playable cards doing so
dac15_fade.gif

ElyrionX

Hahaha and I keep trying to just build one really good one. This one guy at the lgs carries around about 10 different ones at all times. Crazy!

I thought I'd be happy with just one good one but realized I needed some variety in playstyles.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166665007]I've actually been going down in my commander count. I had three decks but now I only really have one(Teysa Tokens) and the shell of my Black Devotion commander deck.[/QUOTE]

Why? Were the others just not fun?

Firemind

So is playing Curiosity and Ophidian's Eye considered a dick thing to do when Niv-Mizzet is the general? I never really got a proper gauge, because my own play group is pretty cutthroat. In a multiplayer game, I can only really kill two or three people at most and everyone has instant removal or counterspells in their deck. No, I don't play Teferi.

So is playing Curiosity and Ophidian's Eye considered a dick thing to do when Niv-Mizzet is the general? I never really got a proper gauge, because my own play group is pretty cutthroat. In a multiplayer game, I can only really kill two or three people at most and everyone has instant removal or counterspells in their deck. No, I don't play Teferi.

It's fine. Everybody should know it's coming anyway; it's just the thing to do with that general.

ElyrionX

Depends on playgroup. I find infinite combos boring to play and no one in my playgroup uses infinite combos so when I played Firemind, I stayed away from those two spells.

If your playgroup is cutthroat, I don't see why they would have an issue with Curiosity on Firemind.

I'd only play this in paper. I'd never play this on MTGO, where everyone is likely to walk away from the game at the first sight of combo. It's a lot easier to be an irrepressible asshole when you can look the other guy in the eye.

Games of commander have to end. If your deck is winning more than its share in your playgroup, that can become a problem. But I don't believe that how the deck wins really matters; as long as everybody got to actually play the game and do meaningful things then the game should be considered a success.

The real problems in EDH are the durdly decks that put up Moats and Ensnaring Bridges and slow the pace of the game down to a crawl. I'd rather see someone Tooth and Nail to pull down Triskelion and Mikaeus or Birthing Pod up a Kiki-Jiki combo than have to deal with pillow forts that make the game last three hours before something meaningful finally happens.

Also, infinite combos just don't work on MTGO. Deadeye Navigator/Palinchron may technically make infinite mana, but it never actually happens online.

ElyrionX

My play group at the LGS plays a casual EDH variant based off roles derived from the Bang boardgame. It essentially assigns hidden roles to everyone except one person whose role is the Archangel and is revealed from the start of the game. Then there are Angels and Demons who have to defend and kill the Archangel respectively. Finally, there is a single Nephilim whose only way to win is to kill the Archangel after all the Demons are killed.

It takes a while to get used to but it really grew on everyone over time. With this format, even 10-player games can be over in an hour or so. It also helps that most of us don't build cuthroat decks that win via infinite turns or some combo on turn 2/3/4.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think people just forgot how to play against Dark Confidant. The fact that I have 10 life and a Confidant out doesn't mean I'm going to die to it. I'm like 5 times more likely to win off it than lose.

Online traders are weird. I used to buy and sell games online, and tcg traders don't seem any different.

They'll post a list of stuff they want on their forum, I make an offer with most of the stuff on their list and a couple things I want, and they're just like, "sorry, but thanks for the offer".

Do you even want the stuff you asked for? How am I supposed to know what's satisfactory for you if you're never willing to haggle or communicate? In real life people just usually say "it's a fair trade, but I don't want to get rid of these legacy items right now" or whatever, then I look for other things I want. After a couple exchanges, we agree and everyone's happy. But for whatever reason online traders are much more likely to flake out after asking for stuff. If someone else made an offer just say so.

I offered a dude a bunch of the stuff he's looking for for his MP Force of Will, and he just declines then goes back to his forum thread and bumps it with no changes so I assume he didn't get the cards from someone else. Why even go through the trouble of making lists like that if you aren't going to communicate with the people actually offering you the cards you want?

Gurrry

I finally got my jeskai heroic combo deck, but as im play testing it, im noticing some flaws.. I have a hard time getting jeskai, drum, and helix all in my hand at once. Anyone know of a plan B that i could implement if I never get the hand I need? Or maybe some cards that are allow me to fetch enchantments or instants? (preferrably something common that I may already have in my collection)

I finally got my jeskai heroic combo deck, but as im play testing it, im noticing some flaws.. I have a hard time getting jeskai, drum, and helix all in my hand at once. Anyone know of a plan B that i could implement if I never get the hand I need? Or maybe some cards that are allow me to fetch enchantments or instants? (preferrably something common that I may already have in my collection)

Do you play Anticipate?

Wow this dude at the invitational was allowed to keep playing after going the whole game as thought he had Tron without actually having Tron? Mistake or not, that's a huge fuckup.

Why? Were the others just not fun?

I don't play enough Commander to have a bunch of decks and my Tokens deck is more fun than my instant win devotion combos.

I like to play fair decks more, so now I just use my tutors to go get Skullclamp and Darkest Hour :p

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166774103]Wow this dude at the invitational was allowed to keep playing after going the whole game as thought he had Tron without actually having Tron? Mistake or not, that's a huge fuckup[/QUOTE]
How did the Table judge not realize it?!?

I live in Charlotte, and would like to liquidate my collection to the dealers at GP Charlotte this weekend. It's mostly Modern staples. What will be the best day and time of day to approach them so that I get the most value?

Don't you have something better to do than watch the SCG invitational?
Let's go Amulet Bloom! Only good deck in modern.

I live in Charlotte, and would like to liquidate my collection to the dealers at GP Charlotte this weekend. It's mostly Modern staples. What will be the best day and time of day to approach them so that I get the most value?

Right now sell them to me >:|

How did the Table judge not realize it?!?
He's using mismatched tron art...

Let's go Vanmeter! From one beard to another!

What a scumbag.

He wasn't intentionally cheating, he had tron in hand the entire game. He just played the wrong one because the art was different and assumed he had played tron the rest of the game and nobody noticed. But yeah, Tron is like the one deck you want to make sure your land art is unified.

So Magic-GAF, are there any tricks for remembering triggers, especially in decks you are unfamilar with (e.g. a draft environment)? Recently I missed at least half of my Soul Warden triggers, ehich is my bad I guess. But it gets really unpleasant if it's a negative trigger (like on Blessing Of Leeches) and my opponent accusing me of "forgetting" them on purpose. I think that's really annoing. Any tips where I don't have to get rid of shortcuts?

Summer Bloom is so banned. Only question is when. (Deck is still decent without it, it's just not absurdly stupid.)

Also, F Tron.
Stop hating fun.
So Magic-GAF, are there any tricks for remembering triggers, especially in decks you are unfamilar with (e.g. a draft environment)? Recently I missed at least half of my Soul Warden triggers, ehich is my bad I guess. But it gets really unpleasant if it's a negative trigger (like on Blessing Of Leeches) and my opponent accusing me of "forgetting" them on purpose. I think that's really annoing. Any tips where I don't have to get rid of shortcuts?

Put a die in front of the card with triggers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This lore side-discussion in Twitch chat is hilarious.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Finals is Amulet vs Tron

I'm surprised Blood Moon isn't $100 at this point.

I'm glad I got my order in for my The Dark Blood Moon's early!

Summer Bloom is so banned. Only question is when. (Deck is still decent without it, it's just not absurdly stupid.)

Also, F Tron.

Nah. Amulet isn't even that broken of a deck. Being a top tier deck doesn't necessarily mean things need to be banned in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom