• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Narcolepsy is one of those cards I would so easily forget, mainly because my opponents normally will be nice enough to keep their creatures tapped.

That's usually an acceptable shorthand if the creature can't ever really do anything.

I play during FNM, sure. I even play MTGO.
But yes, most of my playing comes from non-sanctioned play... i.e. kitchen table gatherings or pick up games at the LGS.

However, I still like playing with actual powerful decks. Decks that are top tier that do win tournaments. I have thousands of dollars worth of cards.

And I don't play in big tournaments.

Isn't that crazy? I kind of think so.

At this point I'm all for bringing back gold border cards if that's what they need to do in order to not crash some stupid collectors market.

I just want to play the game without continuing to spend an insane amount of money.

I'd love for them to go the Living Card Game route even...
Sell boosters for the draft people. Better yet, I like that retail cube idea we had awhile back.

I play during FNM, sure. I even play MTGO.
But yes, most of my playing comes from non-sanctioned play... i.e. kitchen table gatherings or pick up games at the LGS.

However, I still like playing with actual powerful decks. Decks that are top tier that do win tournaments. I have thousands of dollars worth of cards.

And I don't play in big tournaments.

Isn't that crazy? I kind of think so.
Well you're welcome to give me your cards if you want to break free of your addiction, I'll take them to tournaments for you :p

I'll even wear a T-Shirt representing you as my sponsor ^_^

You could always just proxy the stuff you don't play in sanctioned events

I guess it's hard for me to believe that the game is doing the best job it can at attracting new players..

They're adding players hand over fist. They literally sell something like five times as many cards now as they did in 2009. Hasbro brags about them in every report.

Now, yes, it's true, they don't have the success in digital, partially because they suck at digital and partially because it's hard to match up against Blizzard in their home element even if you're pretty good at it, but even then Duels: Origins has a lot of potential.

They should treat LGSs like they do restaurants and do health and safety inspections.

I'll allow it.

Does everyone like... believe that?

Every group of people I've ever played casual Magic with had multiple women.

inthrall

Prereleases always turn out a high number of women relative to the norm.

I think thats their (on average) less competitive nature at work. Most of the female players I know will skip on the more serious events to go entertain themselves in a less stressful way

Yeef

Anecdotally, we get a lot of women during prereleases and 2HG events (lots of couples). We also get a decent number of women for non-magic gaming events (board games and the like).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Magic is...utterly fascinating as a case study in game design, especially hobby game design. Like, for all that I disagree with Rosewater on specific things, I do think he's a bit of a genius, or at least very insightful. Everything from the player psychographics informed from a background in communications to the frankly amazing idea of lenticular design is why I feel Magic has a depth to its design process I don't see in other CGs. Magic has a holistic focus on the experiential that I feel other games lack

Magic is...utterly fascinating as a case study in game design, especially hobby game design. Like, for all that I disagree with Rosewater on specific things, I do think he's a bit of a genius, or at least very insightful. Everything from the player psychographics informed from a background in communications to the frankly amazing idea of lenticular design is why I feel Magic has a depth to its design process I don't see in other CGs. Magic has a holistic focus on the experiential that I feel other games lack

Rosewater has a very specific design philosophy that is very effective at achieving a specific set of goals. There are other designers who would disagree with him on a lot of points, but the number of people with his experience and skill who've been able to refine and document their approach to that level is very, very low. He's not the be-all-end-all of Magic design (a number of particularly good ideas from the last decade originated elsewhere) but it's hard to see how it could've gotten this far without someone ably filling that role.

The Technomancer

Rosewater has a very specific design philosophy that is very effective at achieving a specific set of goals. There are other designers who would disagree with him on a lot of points, but the number of people with his experience and skill who've been able to refine and document their approach to that level is very, very low. He's not the be-all-end-all of Magic design (a number of particularly good ideas from the last decade originated elsewhere) but it's hard to see how it could've gotten this far without someone ably filling that role.
I agree pretty much. I just think its interesting that his design philosiphy isnt...articulated elsewhere? Especially in the CG space. It's hard to look at games outside of maybe Netrunner and not see the comparative lack of a link between emotional resonance and design that Rosewaters best designs, like Innistrad, achieve

Game design as storytelling is something a lot of the great games tend to understand, but you're right, few of them have the chance to articulate it as much. But then...has any game had its design documented as thoroughly as Magic? Has any other game even close?

EDIT: Its worth explaining that I'm pretty drunk right now, which means...I think about Magic design for some reason. I dunno. I find Magic design and Rosewater especially absolutely fascinating. On the one hand, his recent trend towards defining the success of a game as a correlation of its popularity is something I disagree with, even if I understand. On the other hand, its hard to view something like the idea of lenticular design, which honestly blew my mind a bit when I first encountered it, as anything less than the output of a mind focused on game design to an extent that few others ever will.

But Magic absolutely would not be the game it is now without him. Over the last few years he's become more of a PR mouthpiece than ever before, sadly, and I think he's gotten conservative with age, but reading his articles about resonance in design revolutionized how I thought about games when I first encountered them when I was younger.

y2dvd

Was there a reason Narcolepsy doesn't just keep it tapped? I know there are edge cases where it matters (creatures with relevant {T} abilities), but were there any of those outside of Vent Sentinel in the original environment it was printed?
I had to play against my buddy in the finals of draft the other day and I casted Narcolepsy on his creature and asked him straight out if he's gonna make me keep calling the trigger or just keep it tapped. He agreed to just let it stay tapped lol. Would've been crazy annoying otherwise.

I think this is actually quite an important perspective:
This quote is why MM15 is most frustrating.
In terms of Limited sets, Modern Masters 2015 did remind me a lot of Vintage Masters Online – a set that I observed but didn’t play. My reaction to both of them: okay, that’s a set, but it’s somewhat ridiculous to call them Vintage/Modern Masters when most or all of the strategies in the set bear absolutely NO resemblance to Vintage or Modern. I don’t play Magic online, so I’m glad to have skipped playing Vintage Masters, and, with a limited exception, I have steered clear of participating in Modern Masters 2015 events. If I were designing things, I would try to resist the pressures for short term gain, and instead, give the players what they want – affordable cards, and most of the ones that needed reprints.
That's all I want.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
i, too, wish Modern Masters was just all cards that I want that are worth money

But then...has any game had its design documented as thoroughly as Magic? Has any other game even close?

There are certainly self-contained, finished games that have been interrogated in as much or more detail in books and such, though I'm not sure if there's any that have been explored that extensively by the actual people who created them.

On the one hand, his recent trend towards defining the success of a game as a correlation of its popularity is something I disagree with, even if I understand.

Natural consequence of operating in an environment where market performance directly dictates the level of resources available on the game going forward. People bitch about Rosewater hating on Time Spiral, but you've gotta remember that it was a labor of love that he wound up spending years having to justify having made to his own bosses.

Over the last few years he's become more of a PR mouthpiece than ever before, sadly, and I think he's gotten conservative with age, but reading his articles about resonance in design revolutionized how I thought about games when I first encountered them when I was younger.

Curious which specific areas you think he's gotten particularly conservative.

This quote is why MM15 is most frustrating.

I don't really agree with that critique at all, it reads like someone who just hates limited complaining about drafting. VMA didn't play anything like a typical draft set; it was much closer to cube, and it drew heavily on, if not Vintage strategies, then at least Legacy.

(And I haven't given MM15 a shot yet, but MMA was an awesome format.)

Angry Grimace

MMA was great, MM15 was less great and VMA was less great than either. But they were all better than your average set. I don't care what anyone says, I thought KTK was a very bizarre set when it came to limited.

As for the stuff Charly is quoting, I think Maro is a good designer who is limited by more stuff than he is able to say. That's not to say he's incompetent, its that he's pulled in more directions than he's allowed to admit.

MMA was great, MM15 was less great and VMA was less great than either. But they were all better than your average set. I don't care what anyone says, I thought KTK was a very bizarre set when it came to limited.

Except for the part where I actually think VMA is a steaming pile of garbage, I agree with the rest of this statement.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166528995]Triple KTK was sweet, definitely one of my favorite draft formats. Lots of wild and wacky stuff going on.[/QUOTE]

You really like playing morphs on turn 3 and flipping them on turn 5, huh? ;)

The Technomancer

Curious which specific areas you think he's gotten particularly conservative.

I mean, there's no way we'd get something like Shadowmoor or Time Spiral these days, and while I'm not necessarily sure that that's a bad thing (they both were flawed in numerous ways) I think they've over-corrected. This isn't some new world order thing (I like NWO quite a bit), but I think design feels more conservative since, say, Scars of Mirrodin or so (okay Innistrad stands apart among several blocks of relatively safe design). Its been a while since we've had a block or set that was so distinct and experimental that it was clear they were learning major lessons from it. I doubt that any lessons they learn from Khans block are going to be anything more than just iteration on existing philosophy.

Put it another way: current designs (and I'm really talking about RtR through Khans here) feel like they think they've "solved" set design and can just remix previous approaches to making sets, as opposed to really playing around. For all that Khans block was a great block (and I do think it was a pretty great block) there was very little pushing of boundaries in it. You got exactly what it said on the box. And Theros and RTR were the same

Its entirely possible, of course, that Rosewater is covering up some larger corporate push in that direction by pretending that he's happy with it, while secretly he's chafing. But that's not the feel that I get. I really do think he's happy with the way things are right now

y2dvd

i, too, wish Modern Masters was just all cards that I want that are worth money

That's not what I'm even saying. We weren't given near enough commons or uncommons to even start a foundation of a modern deck.
No:
Serum Vision
Gitaxian Probe
Ancient String
Summer Bloom
Deceiver Exarch
Thought Scour
Terminate
Inquisition
Qasali Pridemage
Wild Nacatl
Etc

And that's just the commons and uncommons. I know you can't jam all of them in and have a balanced draft environment, but damn give us more playable pieces.

FeD.nL

So had a good day of Magic yesterday at my store but damn does B/W tokens have any chance against those Collected Company decks or do I just suck? If anyone has any tips I would gladly read them.

Firemind

So had a good day of Magic yesterday at my store but damn does B/W tokens have any chance against those Collected Company decks or do I just suck? If anyone has any tips I would gladly read them.
Play Bitterblossom, Spectral Procession and Lingering Souls and rule the skies.

Also that instant that +1/+1 your whole team and -1/-1 opponent's team whose name escapes me.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Also that instant that +1/+1 your whole team and -1/-1 opponent's team whose name escapes me.

Zealous Persecution. It was my favorite card when I was tinkering with tokens

Matriox

Image.ashx

Angry Grimace

2 points:

1) Thoughtseize and Duress are very good for removing CoCo before they get the mana to cast it and keep them waiting to topdeck it.

2) You have to understand the deck (it is a combo deck) and know which one of their guys is a target for Dismember/Cut/etc. Usually Anafenza or Melira. Once they get Anafenza or Melira/Viscera Seer/Finks out you just scoop.

Kwixotik

Might be entering my first draft tonight lol. My girlfriend is on part 2 of 3 of a job interview for a comic shop, which is free entry to a draft because one of the store people likes to judge how someone interacts with people by playing Magic with them.

Might be entering my first draft tonight lol. My girlfriend is on part 2 of 3 of a job interview for a comic shop, which is free entry to a draft because one of the store people likes to judge how someone interacts with people by playing Magic with them.

Tips:
1. Bring a lot of water, and maybe snacks.
2. The direction you pass cards changes with each pack opening.
3. If the person next to you already has a pack of cards queued, don't pass to him or her yet and don't pick up your next queued pack.
4. Try to be aware of what colors of cards are being taken by other players from the cards you are given, and what colors specifically aren't being taken highly. This is probably the most advanced aspect of drafting, so don't fret too much over this.
5. Try to keep in mind the mana cost of cards. If you just pick every awesome card, you'll find yourself low on 2-mana cards and thus have a slow start, for example.

Firemind

So when are they going to start killing off planeswalkers?

Jenna Helland — I've been working on Magic for seven years. Some of my favorite projects have been concepting Innistrad, worldbuilding for Return to Ravnica, and writing Elspeth's story. Last year, I became manager of the story team. It gives me less time for writing, but it's a privilege to helm this amazing crew.
Err...

The Technomancer

Gideon: From a troubled street kid to a powerful protector of the innocent.
Jace: From a talented pariah to a brilliant and mysterious telepath.
Liliana: From an aspiring healer to a devious necromancer who commands legions of zombies.
Chandra: From a rebellious troublemaker to an accomplished pyromancer who challenges authority.
Nissa: From a misunderstood outcast to a warrior dedicated to protecting life on all worlds.
So they all start as the same character? I mean jeez, I get it, "misunderstood outcast" is a compelling character type, but they were really all rebellious spirits before becoming Planeswalkers?

Angry Grimace

All you need to know about the lore is that one of the developers gets to occasionally write it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Everything is now serialized because they can do two big stories per year (+ the intro set that's coming.) It's an upgrade.

No, I get that. But at the same time I'm sitting here like "when are you guys going to offer eBook verisons of your older stuff?" I've been wanting to finish the Magic: Legends Cycle but goddamn if it isn't hard to find copies of the second and third book in good condition. Besides which, I'd rather have them digital.

The Technomancer

I love how their descriptions completely fit their colours. Jace is brilliant and mysterious? Hmmmm

The mono-colored planeswalkers have always felt less interesting as characters anyway (with the exception of Elspeth, and that's because mono-white probably makes the most sense as a philosophy that stands alone. Well, and mono-green but that works standalone best on non-sapient creatures)

Angry Grimace

Only Lili and Chandra should be mining the outcast well. The rest is lazy.

Most Planeswalkers are outcast in this story.

Ajani: An outcast because his fur was the wrong color (e.g. fantastic racism)
Sarkhan: An outcast because he decided to go study dargons and because he had a dumb name.
Narset: an outcast because she was like "I wanna study the khans"
Jace: CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN
Liliana: Outcast because used her necro powers inappropriately on a goat
Domri Rade: Little orphan Domri was an outcast until he found da gruul

etc. etc.

OnPoint

Liliana would be more interesting if she were accepted in society but was doing shady or unaccepted things or under the table, then she was caught, tried and sparked upon execution.

Gideon, iirc is a poor street kid? Makes sense though it's pretty boring. Just watch Alaadin.

Nissa and Jace being an outcast and pariah respectively is just stupid and lazy.

Chandra is whatever, who cares. Same way they develop her cards.

It's kinda disappointing.

The Technomancer

Most Planeswalkers are outcast in this story.

Ajani: An outcast because his fur was the wrong color (e.g. fantastic racism)
Sarkhan: An outcast because he decided to go study dargons and because he had a dumb name.
Narset: an outcast because she was like "I wanna study the khans"
Jace: CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN
Liliana: Outcast because used her necro powers inappropriately on a goat
Domri Rade: Little orphan Domri was an outcast until he found da gruul

etc. etc.

Meanwhile I'm over here all like, my favorite planeswalkers are Elspeth, Kiora, Tamiyo, and Sorin and I could barely care about those other guys

Liliana would be more interesting if she were accepted in society but was doing shady or unaccepted things or under the table, then she was caught, tried and sparked upon execution.

Gideon, iirc is a poor street kid? Makes sense though it's pretty boring. Just watch Alaadin.

Nissa and Jace being an outcast and pariah respectively is just stupid and lazy.

Chandra is whatever, who cares. Same way they develop her cards.

It's kinda disappointing.
Right, like its Nissa and Jace that I'm the most disappointed in. I have no idea why Nissa needs to be an outcast and Jace's mysterious past being a "mysterious pariah" is literally the most generic way they could play that angle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom