• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Man i still really want to play that puresteel deck in modern.

seems like a good idea to spend money on mox's then fetches that will get reprinted in the fall...

I have the whole deck aside from two Moxes and the Glimmervoids. I've proxied the missing cards and goldfished it a ton. It's fun but feels super inconsistent.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind if they played up Red artifice more, as a way of showing reds creative side. Daretti was a step in the right direction, imo.

Brofist.picture

I have the whole deck aside from two Moxes and the Glimmervoids. I've proxied the missing cards and goldfished it a ton. It's fun but feels super inconsistent.

Some of the newer versions take out the monastery mentor and put in myth realized.

They also run thoughtcast, 1 hurkyls recall and serum visions.

Also they run this card:

erayosoratamiascendant.jpg

Thi guy also does a lot of streams with the deck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2gbKdPM-K8

bigkrev

That dragon seems really good as a curve-topper in RDW. It's going to be the last card you have in your hand, and if it lives for a turn, you are up by a significant amount. Grafted Skullcap used to be a staple of RDW.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In the history of magic cards, we have seen tons of discard engines that have been brutally abused. No, no good reason at all! :p

I'm willing to bet cashmoney this is a bulk mythic. Because it is worse than Thunderbreak Regent.

bigkrev

Of the other cards spoiled, this is the only one that really stands out (better Inrak Stomphowler)
en_6wjorvvuGy.png

But yeah, I really dislike the art so far. Hope we aren't getting a 7th Edition situation, where they decided to replace all the old art with terrible and generic art.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The new art on Origins cards looks like hot garbage

Angry Grimace

Its not, they don't go in the same deck.

Yeah, because Thunderbreak goes in a deck and this guy goes into a bulk box. Its the best 4 drop around for decks that don't want any 4 drops.

Angry Grimace

I was being facetious lol This card should be a rare.

What does this belong in anyway, Burn?

Nothing. You'd be out of your fucking mind to put a card in your deck that has "discard your hand and if you happen to untap with this still in play, you get 2 cards instead of 1."

Crocodile

Yeah, they're about equal. (That's the only dragon with unconditional first strike I could find.)

Who cares specifically about Dragons? First and Double Strike are found at almost every rarity in both Red and White and at about the same amount. One minute in Gatherer and I get 126 mono-white creatures that have/gain/give first or double strike and 104 mono-red creatures that have/gain/give first or double strike.

OnPoint

Nothing. You'd be out of your fucking mind to put a card in your deck that has "discard your hand and if you happen to untap with this still in play, you get 2 cards instead of 1."

All I can imagine it being good in, situationally is:

T1: Mountain, Bolt, Say go
T2: Mountain Eidelon Say go
T3: Mountain Bolt, Bolt Say go
T4: Mountain, Bad Dragon, Discard 1 card, Say go
T5-X: Hope to draw cheap burn x2​

And that doesn't seem good. I've been wrong before.

I guess it could work in some sort of UR Burn with Snapcasters. But again, still doesn't seem good lol

Matriox

0C9t1OT.png

The dream is dead

Damn. So close. So that's 2 legit openings for serum visions that weren't put in. Maybe there will be a FTV: Refuse to Reprint for No Good Reason that involves Damnation, SV, and Rare Tarmogoyf.

Is that not the red one? Whatever the red one is.

Outpost

EDIT: I wish that dragon had haste... At least give me a chance to deal some damage and provoke some spot removal before I discard my hand.

Newt

This is kind of the reason why there's no incentive to participate in modern constructed. Barrier is way too high for no real good reason. I don't understand why Cruise and Dig were banned but somehow Goyf is perfectly acceptable.

Modern Masters 2015 kinda failed to lower the barrier of entry too.

This is kind of the reason why there's no incentive to participate in modern constructed. Barrier is way too high for no real good reason. I don't understand why Cruise and Dig were banned but somehow Goyf is perfectly acceptable.

Because cruise and dig enable consistency which is a big no-no and goyf encourages attacking with creatures so it's a-ok.

>:|

The new sample decks, including the new cards in them. Interesting to see at least one more black elf from Lorwyn, though she didn't bring Lorwyn art with her (the other black elf is Golgari). It's also interesting to see that there appears to be a rebellion going on in Vryn.

Notable reprints are Cruel Revival (from Onslaught) and Titan's Strength, showing that with scry evergreen, the latter really does seem to be a mainstay now.

Also notable is this card:
en_q0EXOObPkj.png

Our first "French vanilla" prowess creature.

OnPoint

Here's my crack at that dragon, why not?

UR Avaricious Burn

Spell
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Lava Spike
4x Rift Bolt
4x Skullcrack
4x Shard Volley
4x Searing Blaze
2x Gutshot

Creature
2x Grim Lavamancer
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Snapcaster Mage
4x Eidelon of the Great Revel
4x Avaricious Dragon

Land
6x Mountain
2x Island
4x Scalding Tarn
2x Bloodstained Mire
2x Steam Vents

Sideboard
4x Blood Moon
4x Searing Blood
4x Mutagenic Growth
3x Tibalt​

Dragon is dat curve topper

Angry Grimace

Is that not the red one? Whatever the red one is.

The red one is Outpost Siege, and Outpost Siege is orders of magnitude better than discard-dragon. Because you get the same type of card-advantage at the same speed without discarding your hand in a less easy to remove package. The only benefit of dragon is the body, which is not so above the curve to be worth basically anything.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166884531]Elvish Visionary is back![/QUOTE]

Yes.

Jhriad

I like Scry a lot and keywording War Drums is nifty so this is cool by me. A little sad we didn't see replacements for Regen. and Prot. but what can you do.

Even though I like Regenerate quite a bit at this point I'd much rather they get rid of it and give Black a new keyword that they would actually use more frequently. Out of 138 black creatures in standard only 6 have Regenerate and the only Standard playable one is Rakshasa Deathdealer, a gold card.

Prowess: Blue > Red > White

As for Black vs. Red in creature mechanics

Regenerate, Deathtouch, Lifelink, Haste, Flying, Trample, Menace
vs
First Strike, Double Strike, Prowess, Haste, Flying, Trample, Menace

Seems about equal to me unless I'm forgetting anything

Here's the # of creatures per keyword (or potentially gaining the keyword through activation) in Standard:

Black
Regenerate: 4 mono, 2 gold
Deathtouch: 15 mono, 2 gold
Lifelink: 3 mono, 3 gold (one of which is Chromanticore)
Haste: 1 mono, 5 gold (plus 8 Dash creatures)
Flying: 25 mono, 15 gold (includes Chromanticore)
Trample: 1 mono, 2 gold (Chromanticore)
Menace: 1 mono

Red
First Strike: 7 mono, 5 gold (Chromanticore)
Double Strike: 3 mono, 1 gold
Prowess: 3 mono
Haste: 15 mono, 6 gold (plus 11 Dash creatures)
Flying: 16 mono, 15 gold (Chromanticore)
Trample: 12 mono, 9 gold (Chromanticore)
Menace: 4 mono, 1 gold

I tried to remove the Tribute cards and a few cards that require incredibly difficult steps to gain the keywords but that's approximately the distribution. Red sees considerably more use of it's keyword pie in non-creature spells of course but that's probably to be expected considering the color and the combat trick effectiveness of their keywords..

red13th

I love the text "Permanents with ice counters on them are snow".

BTW that dragon inspired me to design a dragon.

Card-Eating Dragon
2R
Flying, Haste
When Card-Eating Dragon enters the battlefield, discard your hand.
You cannot draw cards.
5/5

Hire me wotc

I love the text "Permanents with ice counters on them are snow".

BTW that dragon inspired me to design a dragon.

Card-Eating Dragon
2R
Flying, Haste
When Card-Eating Dragon enters the battlefield, discard your hand.
You cannot draw cards.
5/5

Hire me wotc

Card-Devouring Dragon
2R
Creature - Dragon
Flying, haste
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, discard your hand. Put a +1/+1 counter on this for each card discarded this way.
Dash R
You cannot draw cards.
0/0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom