• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Image.ashx

In case you've never seen this card
Oh yeah... Coldsnap, the long forgotten third set of Ice Age.

Who cares specifically about Dragons? First and Double Strike are found at almost every rarity in both Red and White and at about the same amount. One minute in Gatherer and I get 126 mono-white creatures that have/gain/give first or double strike and 104 mono-red creatures that have/gain/give first or double strike.
I care about dragons. ;_____;

When are they going to print Featherslayer Dragon? Oh, wait, Thundermaw Hellkite. Meh.

red13th

Donate with Blink 1UU
Sorcery
Exile target permanent you control, then return it to the battlefield under the control of target player.

Fake edit, it won't work since you have no cards in hand and cannot draw cards.
I know

Donate with Blink and Flashback 1UU
Sorcery
Exile target permanent you control, then return it to the battlefield under the control of target player.
Flashback 1UU

kirblar

The first Grafted Dragon is better than your second or third Outpost Siege, imo.

Donate is hugely undercosted for the effect.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've taken a "no buying cards until Origins comes out" stance for reasons, but if this set continues to look this boring, I'll be able to extend past it. Crazy.

Origins so far just looks like....M16.

i.e. they didn't do shit to commemorate the last core set and just decided to make the set the same garbage where there will be like 4 asshole cards that cost a fuckload from it because they see play and nobody opens Core Set garbage.

Maro plz

Matriox

Origins so far just looks like....M16.

i.e. they didn't do shit to commemorate the last core set and just decided to make the set the same garbage where there will be like 4 asshole cards that cost a fuckload from it because they see play and nobody opens Core Set garbage.

Maro plz

Maybe to commemorate they wont print anything constructed playable.

OnPoint

Well, Lili will certainly be represented through some zombies.

I don't expect there to be a full playable zombie archetype though.

Toxi

Banned
There is no good reason that is a mythic.

en_oiCrCm5i6g.png
I keep trying to figure out how to make this decent and I keep failing.

The problem is that "discard your hand at end of turn" is such a fucking ridiculous drawback, especially for a creature without Flash or Haste. Turn 4 cast this, lose your hand, your opponent kills it, now you're stuck in top-deck mode.

OnPoint

I keep trying to figure out how to make this decent and I keep failing.

The problem is that "discard your hand at Ed of turn" is such a fucking ridiculous drawback, especially for a creature without Flash or Haste. Turn 4 cast this, lose your hand, your opponent kills it, now you're stuck in top-deck mode.

Haste takes it from unplayable to chase Mythic. What a stupid oversight.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

ultron87

You have four Flamewake Phoenixes in hand when you cast it, discard them all, then attack for 12 for RRR next turn. Don't worry. Nothing bad will happen to your dragon.

OnPoint

The only way that ever could have been a thing is if Sword of X and Y was in Standard and I don't see them making that mistake again.

Haste would make it fringe playable, not chase mythic. I wouldn't suddenly be excited about playing it just because it does 4 damage before I discard my hand.

Thinking of one situation:

Right now you cast it and it does nothing until the next turn. Your opponent can then wait until you discard, then Hero's Downfall it.

If it had haste it would swing for 4, making them have to choose between killing it right away to prevent 4 damage, or taking the 4 and Downfalling it pre-discard.

I think if that card had haste it would be super playable as a curve-topper in low-cost aggressive decks that dump their hand fast and look to refuel. As is, it's kind of meh.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166907935]
Or hexproof :3[/QUOTE]

:lol :lol :lol

Jhriad

Well, Lili will certainly be represented through some zombies.

I don't expect there to be a full playable zombie archetype though.

I don't really need much to run it. Sidisi, Risen Executioner, and Gurmag Angler are good but it'd be nice to see a solid Zombie on the lower end of the curve. Not really sure Shambling Ghoul is worth an inclusion. I wasn't really expecting it to be a competitive archetype but I thought it'd be fun to run with the same them for my EDH and Standard decks while Whip is still in Standard.

G.ZZZ

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166907935]Should have been a Legend for Hero'sBlade.dec

Or hexproof :3[/QUOTE]

Hexproof's blue
troll.gif

Angry Grimace

Thinking of one situation:

Right now you cast it and it does nothing until the next turn. Your opponent can then wait until you discard, then Hero's Downfall it.

If it had haste it would swing for 4, making them have to choose between killing it right away to prevent 4 damage, or taking the 4 and Downfalling it pre-discard.

I think if that card had haste it would be super playable as a curve-topper in low-cost aggressive decks that dump their hand fast and look to refuel. As is, it's kind of meh.

:lol :lol :lol

Nobody in their right mind is gonna Downfall that Dragon before it triggers the most detrimental ability in the entire game that isn't Final Fortune. Just take 4, then they discard, then kill it so they have nothing in their hand.

Low cost aggressive decks don't want a 4 drop, especially not one that makes it so you permanently can't play whatever is in your hand. This card is one of the most garbage mythics in the last couple of years, honestly.

I don't really need much to run it. Sidisi, Risen Executioner, and Gurmag Angler are good but it'd be nice to see a solid Zombie on the lower end of the curve. Not really sure Shambling Ghoul is worth an inclusion. I wasn't really expecting it to be a competitive archetype but I thought it'd be fun to run with the same them for my EDH and Standard decks while Whip is still in Standard.

Gravecrawler.

JeskaiHero'sBlade.dec

Creatures(25):
  • 4 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
  • 4 Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
  • 3 Anax and Cymede
  • 3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
  • 3 Daxos of Meletis
  • 3 Jalira, Master Polymorphist
  • 3 Dragonlord Ojutai
  • 2 Stormtide Leviathan

Artifacts(5):
  • 4 Hero's Blade
  • 1 Hero's Podium

Spells(6):
  • 3 Lightning Strike
  • 3 Stubborn Denial

Lands(24)
  • 4 Mystic Monatery
  • 2 Temple of Enlightenment
  • 2 Temple of Triumph
  • 4 Battlefield Forge
  • 2 Shivan Reef
  • 4 Flooded Strand
  • 1 Island
  • 3 Plains
  • 1 Mana Confluence
  • 1 Haven of the Spirit Dragon

Sideboard(15)
  • 2 Resolute Archangel
  • 3 Disdainful Stroke
  • 4 Prophetic Flamespeaker
  • 3 Arc Lightning
  • 1 Treasure Cruise
  • 2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166907107]Prophetic Flamespeaker still has time![/QUOTE]

THEY TRIED. By god, they printed Assault Formation and TRIED. There's no help here. :(

OnPoint

Nobody in their right mind is gonna Downfall that Dragon before it triggers the most detrimental ability in the entire game that isn't Final Fortune. Just take 4, then they discard, then kill it so they have nothing in their hand.

Low cost aggressive decks don't want a 4 drop, especially not one that makes it so you permanently can't play whatever is in your hand. This card is one of the most garbage mythics in the last couple of years, honestly.

I don't know that I agree with you. That thing could come down when the player across the board is in dire straights. Imagine this scenario with Haste.

T1 - Swiftspear, Probe, 18
T2 - Bolt, Bolt-variant, Swiftspear swing, 9
T3 - Skullcrack, Swiftspear, 4
T4 - Dragon, Swiftspear, -1​

What do you do in that situation? For RDW or its ilk, that's a reasonable line you might see. You're going to have to cast removal or have answers at some point. The problem is now it's not even a situation that can happen because the card is garbage.

What about Meandering Towershell?
troll.gif

Angry Grimace

So basically in Christmasland its good. If we gave it a different ability it doesn't even actually have.

The deck you're describing would probably rather just have 4 Rift Bolts.

OnPoint

So basically in Christmasland its good. If we gave it a different ability it doesn't even actually have.

The deck you're describing would probably rather just have 4 Rift Bolts.

Well to be fair I call the card as-is garbage in the very post you're responding to. I was responding to you poo-pooing my assertion that they would Downfall it instead of taking 4 if it had haste. I also don't think that's too Christmasland a scenario for a deck like that.

The deck I'm describing WOULD have 4 Rift Bolts. I posted a list earlier in the thread.

lol this hero's blade deck is pure comedy. I goldfished it a few times to iron out the obvious kinks now I'm gonna test it against sultai.

Mulligan any hand without Anafenza or Hero's Blade.

Firemind

At least it's a cheap mythic for my dragon collection.

I don't know why they insist on printing red cards with huge downsides though. I mean, they printed Consecrated Sphinx for christ's sake. Even Bloodgift Demon is better than this crap.

Angry Grimace

Well to be fair I call the card as-is garbage in the very post you're responding to. I was responding to you poo-pooing my assertion that they would Downfall it instead of taking 4 if it had haste. I also don't think that's too Christmasland a scenario for a deck like that.

The deck I'm describing WOULD have 4 Rift Bolts. I posted a list earlier in the thread.

Yeah, but the card is garbage even if it had haste and extra-garbage as-printed.

The card looks even worse when you try and stick it in Modern because there's about a billion answers to that card and burn would never, ever play that card because Burn doesn't play 4 drops. Even in standard, there's no deck that wants that effect that wants to play a 4-drop. Haste isn't what that card needs to be vaguely something you would play in a deck, it needs Flash.

Literally the only scenario this card is good in, even if it has haste, is topdecking it with nothing in your hand.

Angry Grimace

There was in fact another card that got spoiled that was interesting.

F3gWeXy.png

Mizzium Interceptor (?)
2U
Flash
When Mizzium Interceptor enters the battlefield, change the target of target spell or ability to Mizzium Interceptor.
1/4

inthrall

There was in fact another card that got spoiled that was interesting.

F3gWeXy.png

Mizzium Interceptor (?)
2U
Flash
When Mizzium Interceptor enters the battlefield, change the target of target spell or ability to Mizzium Interceptor.
1/4

I really like this card, its a spellskite for one more mana. Can only hit one spell and has to be cast at the same time, but is potentially a bigger blowout and can hit for one damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom