• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Checks out

hWc8VxJ.png

Board state with Hero's Blade vs my Sultai deck:

8/8 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
9/7 Daxos of Meletis(equipped)
7/6 Alesha, Who Smiles at Death(Jelira, Anafenza and Daxos as yard targets)
7/8 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
Heroes' Podium

Hand - Crater's Claws, Dragonlord Ojutai, Anafenza

lol

It takes my Sultai deck everything it's got to keep Jelira off the board. Raptor controls most of the creatures while whip keeps me in the game, but it's comical how long these three drops can dominate with Heroes' Podium out.

I don't think the deck can ever beat an early Kolaghan's command or cheap fliers, though.

modern prices are all sorts of fucked

basically if it was printed in mm2015 then its at an all time high right now.

seems super healthy for the format

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It's the kind of card that shows up on Commander. Which was the last time it was printed, in fact. Which is also why it's price is capped on MTGO - the commander decks never stop being sold on MTGO.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
In high-school some douchebags deliberately spilled gatorade over our Magic table, and one of the cards ruined was my Oblivion Stone, which I loved

Fuck

ultron87

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";166931235]How good would Jalira be if the exiled cards went to the bottom in any order rather than a random order? Busted good? Goblin Recruiter is sweet.[/QUOTE]

I miss the days when you could fetch Worldspine Wurm with her. And then do it again, +3 5/5s for your trouble.

I miss the days when you could fetch Worldspine Wurm with her. And then do it again, +3 5/5s for your trouble.

Stormtide is almost a passable replacement, though. I did consider Hoarding Dragon as my non-legend so I could fetch up another Hero's Blade or the Heroes' Podium, though. But Hoarding Dragon isn't big enough compared to creature you sac unless you do it in combat and sacrifice a Cat token from Brimaz.

Angry Grimace

This is like the only time this shit has ever worked out in my favor: I have an Oblivion Stone from Mirrodin rotting in my trade binder
KuGsj.gif

Jhriad

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll have plenty of design space to fit in all the cards that will need a reprint in two years.
Hahahahahaha

I traded/sold away a lot of cards I thought would be reprinted in MM2, but right now those cards are down by like 5 bucks and the MM2 versions are only like 10 cheaper lol

Snapcaster will break 100 by the end of the year. I bought mine at 40 like two months ago and now they're 70.

Jhriad

Honestly I wish that they moved to printing something like the Modern Event deck every year with staples/expensive ass shit that they can't fit into MM for whatever reason. Just sell it at a more reasonable price and keep the printing unlimited for a short period. Give people actual entry points into the format with playable decks that could be upgraded instead of this bullshit lottery we get with MM.

Angry Grimace

Whelp I think it is time to sell my 4 Oblivion Stones. I've always loved the card...now it gets its due!

Real talk: sell them right now, before next week everyone shows up with Blood Moon and fucks Tron up.

Angry Grimace

Blood Moon is actually beatable because of Oblivion Stone, Karn and Ugin. Now Fulminator Mages coupled with Tectonic Edges... gg.

Yeah, but Blood Moon pulls double duty in fucking both Tron and Amulet. They can power through a Blood Moon, sure, but it still represents a huge pain in the ass.

Firemind

Blood Moon does nothing against Tron unless you present a sizable clock and even then they're not completely defenseless. Whereas a resolved Blood Moon spells gg for amulet. Not really comparable. People like to think Blood Moon is a free win against most decks with nonbasics which is not true.

Angry Grimace

Blood Moon does nothing against Tron unless you present a sizable clock and even then they're not completely defenseless. Whereas a resolved Blood Moon spells gg for amulet. Not really comparable. People like to think Blood Moon is a free win against most decks with nonbasics which is not true.

Don't play a deck that can't put a clock on your opponent

Firemind

They play 4 Pyroclasms. The only thing that can be construed as a considerable clock is Goyf. Wurmcoil Engine and Relic of Progenitus say hi.

Angry Grimace

They play 4 Pyroclasms. The only thing that can be construed as a considerable clock is Goyf. Wurmcoil Engine says hi.

The only (good) decks that even play Blood Moon are Delver and Twin, neither of which have as big of a problem as you're apparently envisioning. Tron as a deck is not set up to play 1 mana lands one at a time until it gets to big dudes. That's in fact, the opposite of what the deck is trying to do.

Firemind

What? Did you miss the part where I said you need a clock? Delver gets killed by Pyroclasms unless you have Spell Snare and Twin is a control/combo deck. My point is, contrary of what you said, no, Blood Moon does not single-handedly fuck over Tron, especially not after sideboard with 8 Chromatic Stars and 4 Nature's Claim.

Angry Grimace

What? Did you miss the part where I said you need a clock? Delver gets killed by Pyroclasms unless you have Spell Snare and Twin is a control/combo deck. My point is, contrary of what you said, no, Blood Moon does not single-handedly fuck over Tron, especially not after sideboard with 8 Chromatic Stars and 4 Nature's Claim.

Yeah, but your point was that literally the most popular deck in the format, and the one that primarily plays Blood Moon doesn't count because "lol combo deck" This checks out.

f0rk

The Chromatic Star / Nature's Claim does give them a very solid out to Blood Moon. I lost to Tron at Utrecht after turn 3 Blood Moon on the play because he cantripped a couple of times and killed it.

Firemind

I guess you and I have very different definitions of what is considered a death knell.

Leyline of the Void is one against Dredge.

Kataki is another against pre-banning Affinity.

Blood Moon is not one against Tron. The reason why Blood Moon is played because it screws over a number of decks. That Twin is the most popular deck in Modern and plays Blood Moon has no relevancy on Tron's perceived weakness to Blood Moon.

Angry Grimace

Its unreasonable to think only silver bullets are effective hate.

Firemind speaks the truth. Blood Moon is almost not even worth bringing in against Tron. They will be playing 4 Nature's Claim and a pile of stars/spheres to dig through their deck, find the Claims, and fix for green to cast them.

Tron will win the long game. Don't think that you can lock them out with Blood Moon. Ghost Quarters and Fulminator Mages are much more effective (and even those aren't GG when they hit).

Angry Grimace

Firemind speaks the truth. Blood Moon is almost not even worth bringing in against Tron. They will be playing 4 Nature's Claim and a pile of stars/spheres to dig through their deck, find the Claims, and fix for green to cast them.

Tron will win the long game. Don't think that you can lock them out with Blood Moon. Ghost Quarters and Fulminator Mages are much more effective (and even those aren't GG when they hit).

I do it all the time. *shrug* The problem is that its not reasonable to make room for both Fulminator Mage and Blood Moon, and Amulet is a more popular deck right now.

In a game that goes infinity turns, yeah, I guess, but unless you keep a hand with 3 islands, 3 mountains and a Blood Moon it should go without saying that you have to have a way to win the game. The fact you actually can do that against Amulet is a different story, because Blood Moon is just a silver bullet against that deck. Its not like if I kept a hand with 6 land and a Stony Silence I wouldn't expect to win against Tron, either. That doesn't mean I don't bring Stony Silence in.

kirblar

This is why you play 4 Disrupting Shoal alongside it, of course.

WHY CAN'T RENOWNED WEAPONSMITH GET HERO'S BLADE?

:-(

All you guys pissing and moaning about how "boring" Origins looks is why they shouldn't start spoiler season off with commons and uncommons :p

I dunno, I'm hype for Liliana and Elvish Visionary. Visionary isn't as good as Wayfinder, but it's nice to know something is gonna potentially fill that slot.

bigkrev

I guess you and I have very different definitions of what is considered a death knell.

Leyline of the Void is one against Dredge.

Kataki is another against pre-banning Affinity.

Blood Moon is not one against Tron. The reason why Blood Moon is played because it screws over a number of decks. That Twin is the most popular deck in Modern and plays Blood Moon has no relevancy on Tron's perceived weakness to Blood Moon.

I play 2 Blood Moons in the SB of my Affinity deck, and have been very happy with it whenever it's drawn against Tron. Granted, Ancient Grudge is the more important card out of the sideboard- it gives you more outs to Wurmcoil, and blowing up spheres and maps will devastate a shaky keep, and give you plenty of time against a normal hand.

And Kataki is in no way a death knell. It's good, but very beatable/manageable, especially if you have a Ravager draw, and you have maindeck answers to it (I run Galvanic Blast over Dispatch because I value the random game it can win for you out of nowhere). The sideboard card you really don't want to see is Stony Silence- I don't think I've won a single game against a T2 Stony Silence, and the only answer to it in the 75 is either Spell Pierce (which you don't bring in against decks with Stony Silence), and Thoughtsieze.

Let's clarify here: Blood Moon is useful against Tron if you are extremely assertive. It generally buys 0.5-2 turns (more if you can protect it); if that's what you need, then great. It will not lock them out of the game (which is a common misconception).

Angry Grimace

Let's clarify here: Blood Moon is useful against Tron if you are extremely assertive. It generally buys 0.5-2 turns (more if you can protect it); if that's what you need, then great. It will not lock them out of the game (which is a common misconception).

There are very few legal cards that do that against any deck because the deck wouldn't be viable if that were true.

The closest I can think of is Blood Moon vs. Amulet and Eidolon of Rhetoric/Rule of Law vs. Storm, I guess?

Eidolon of Rhetoric was really fucking funny when Pod was still around.

It gets 3 for being an expensive lightning bolt, and the 1/2 is because it's sorcery speed.

That math is dumb.

Scry evergreened? Ehhhhhhh. Not a fan of that. I like seeing them come up with various filtering mechanics like Cycling

Note how you had to say "like Cycling" because Scry and Cycling are the only good filtering mechanics they've ever come up with.

Origins super boring so far.

The starter decks are a set of cards curated on purpose to be the most boring possible cards in the set. You people are ridiculous.

Angry Grimace

I really want to keep playing Dark Confidant, I just think its probably greedy as fuck to play him in Abzan instead of Jund since the curve is higher....but all the extra stuff is life gain :( :( :(

I actually prefer cycling as a mechanic, but it makes more sense (by a mile) to evergreen Scry since it has more knobs to tweak.

I understood why they went with scry immediately when someone on MTGS mentioned that scry is all upside, while cycling requires you to discard a card, which 'feels bad' to newbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom