• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

Is there a reason Kitchen Finks has gone up recently? I was hoping to pick up a playset but at $7 I'm not exactly jumping to buy in.

Random thought. The fact that Cruel Revival is being reprinted makes me wonder if perhaps the Dominaria part of Magic Origins will specifically take place during the events of Onslaught and such, with the Cabal still around. Of course, they could always give it new art and flavor, but Liliana's spark ignited long before the "present day" of Magic, so they may as well have that be during a time period already covered by Magic.

EDIT: MaRo mentioned that there was one creature with protection in Origins. Could it be an Akroma reprint?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Random thought. The fact that Cruel Revival is being reprinted makes me wonder if perhaps the Dominaria part of Magic Origins will specifically take place during the events of Onslaught and such, with the Cabal still around. Of course, they could always give it new art and flavor, but Liliana's spark ignited long before the "present day" of Magic, so they may as well have that be during a time period already covered by Magic.

EDIT: MaRo mentioned that there was one creature with protection in Origins. Could it be an Akroma reprint?

Nah, its Baneslayer Angel.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh yeah, that is a card. Before I reached my Akroma conclusion, I figured that the one protection creature would either be White Knight or Black Knight, even if it wouldn't make much sense to have one without the other (though they did do that before).

I would just consider Baneslayer way more likely just because Baneslayer is actually playable and Akroma isn't really.

The only card with protection in Tarkir block was Feat of Resistance anyways. Its been out of favor for a while.

And Center Soul.

It makes completely sense on a combat trick; it's just a real feel-bad on a permanent.

Also Baneslayer seems like the perfect card to print into Standard if you're worried about Dragons being too good. :p

Matriox

I would just consider Baneslayer way more likely just because Baneslayer is actually playable and Akroma isn't really.

The only card with protection in Tarkir block was Feat of Resistance anyways. Its been out of favor for a while.

Dragon Hunter and Pristine Skywise.

Angry Grimace

I guess Firemind decided to try Blood Moon against Tron.

Angry Grimace

Do we know what happened?

He tried to post but then a mod hit it with:

Image.ashx

The fuck is going on with Snapcaster Mage? It's going up like three bucks a day now. Everybody swapping to Twin to beat the land decks in Modern?

sarkeezyzerhw.png

I'm gonna be able to start trading these for Jaces by the end of the month. This is obscene.

MjFrancis

I really should have finished my playset of Snapcasters a year ago. I should have eschewed Standard altogether and just kept my coin in Modern. I can at least do so now. I didn't buy any staples from Dragons and don't plan on it.

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167022063]The fuck is going on with Snapcaster Mage? It's going up like three bucks a day now. Everybody swapping to Twin to beat the land decks in Modern?

sarkeezyzerhw.png

I'm gonna be able to start trading these for Jaces by the end of the month. This is obscene.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to Modern PPTQ season.
He's played in a lot of decks in both Modern and Legacy, and won't be reprinted for at least a year, probably 2 (whenever the next MMA is).

The real question is if he shows up as a rare, or a Mythic. Knight of the Reliquerey (for a Duel Deck Foil) remains the only card upgraded to Mythic that was printed in a set that had Mythics already.

Angry Grimace

My decision to buy a playset of Snapcaster at 25 each vindicated as fuck

New Mothership article series, My Favorite Flavor, covering flavorful decks. As in bird decks (no aven) where sword equipment can't be used because most birds can't lift swords, and you have to use the Ice Age art for Swords to Plowshares (depicting a sword turning into a dove).

I was at first excited since it seemed like it may be a return of Savor the Flavor (which covered how they internally develop the flavorful parts of the game), but no, it's just another deck building article.

red13th

I bought my Snappy in February for $35, so glad!
Strangely enough I also bought Serum Visions for 6.5, coolstuffinc had a sale two days before the entire MM15 spoiler was released. It almost doubled literally two days after I bought them on a sale. so weird.

Matriox

I finished my playset a month ago, $44 a piece for my remaining 2. Figured I wanted them for an esper deck that used Monastery Mentor and Tasigur since I already had those, but never got anything else except the Snapcasters.

Angry Grimace

I rule

mO8mRzV.jpg

(Yes, I am aware white-bordered versions for unwashed commoners are actually cheaper).

Angry Grimace

Muhaha the one Snap caster I had kept all this time is in my EDH deck.

3 are in my binder and one is in an EDH deck, but probably will come out to go in my Twin deck.

Angry Grimace

I feel like you cant build most competitive decks in modern without scalding tarns :\

And i dont want to buy any until battle for zen...

I mean, just Delver and Twin.

Scalding Tarn is $50 right now, and assuming it shows up in BFZ, I guess it will go to like $20? I don't think you'll see it fall below that. Its played quite a bit more than any of the allied ones are, same with Verdant Catacombs.

OnPoint

I've had my first set of Snappys since they were pretty much new and my second set I got right after rotation when a friend sold out entirely. Not unhappy they're going up for selfish reasons.

Scalding Tarn is $50 right now, and assuming it shows up in BFZ, I guess it will go to like $20? I don't think you'll see it fall below that. Its played quite a bit more than any of the allied ones are, same with Verdant Catacombs.

Well flooded strands were 80 before JOU came out. No reason to think that Tarns could go below 20 for a bit.

ultron87

I feel like you cant build most competitive decks in modern without scalding tarns :\

And i dont want to buy any until battle for zen...

What're you trying to build? You should be able to build the majority of a deck and play it and get by with Khans fetches and other lands until BFZ hits. Your mana will be a little worse, but not unplayable.

bigkrev

If you are playing burn, it can give you a fractional advantage over any other fetchland- If your turn 1 play is Scalding Tarn, go, your opponent is more likely to put you on Twin or Delver, and you might get them to fetch an untapped shockland that they wouldn't have done if they knew you were on burn.

But yeah, for the most part, you aren't loosing much on using Strand or Delta, unless you are running both Basic Mountain and Basic Island.

I bought yesterday a builder's kit and a fat pack and made a pure black deck that focuses on destroying the opponent's hand. I will go to my first FNM this week, hope I can win a lot of matches and meet pretty women. Wish me luck ^_^

What're you trying to build? You should be able to build the majority of a deck and play it and get by with Khans fetches and other lands until BFZ hits. Your mana will be a little worse, but not unplayable.

I'd like to build some kind of UWR or esper midrange deck. The later needing marsh flats instead.

On a side note does anyone els have the problem where they start to build like 5 decks and never finish any of em?

That is my problem with modern.

OnPoint

I bought yesterday a builder's kit and a fat pack and made a pure black deck that focuses on destroying the opponent's hand. I will go to my first FNM this week, hope I can win a lot of matches and meet pretty women. Wish me luck ^_^

Get any cool cards?

ultron87

I'd like to build some kind of UWR or esper midrange deck. The later needing marsh flats instead.

I'd think that UWR would work just fine with Flooded Strands and a few Arid Mesas. UWR decks played with just Tarns and Mesas for quite awhile and were still able to cast Cryptics and whatnot.

Yay my Force of Wills and Vendilion Cliques arrived! ^_^

Hopefully all my trade stuff starts coming in soon, sending first as a newbie on these sites makes everything super slow.

I don't think that last part is going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom