• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxstar

Green White.. Uh, how to put this: Low range. Like, it sounds stupid, but Midrange to me signifies games lasting more then 7-8 land drops each. My deck isn't Aggro, but I wouldn't classify it as Midrange because Midrange is more about a strong mid game. I'm usually finishing my games on my 5th to 6th turn. Aggro to me is turn 5 at Max, Midrange to feels like turn 7-8, but I land between those.
The general theme is White Weenie usually supplemented by Counters/Green for protection.

I could run CoCo(I had a playset) but Coco's 5 mana to me just doesn't work with my deck. In my limited play experience, I've had no issues beating Midrange provided I board right(as a general thing with this deck, I've gone 3/1 against Mid range in terms of rounds), I'm just low enough average CMC wise to beat control provided I get decent land drops(I'm 2/1 against control in FNM matchups as my) but it's Aggro that my deck folds under(0/3).

Coco is 4 mana lol and in any deck that is killing on turn 5 - 6 mono red should be fairly easy to beat, just block with your bigger creatures. You have access to hornets nest and Arashin clerics if the match up is that bad

Coco is 4 mana lol and in any deck that is killing on turn 5 - 6 mono red should be fairly easy to beat, just block with your bigger creatures. You have access to hornets nest and Arashin clerics if the match up is that bad
My mistake on CoCo's CMC, but I'll slot in the Arashins.
The funny part is that my opponent running Mono Red was like "Yeah, I got some pretty great hands." I'm talking opening hand of 7+5 cards over 5 turns. Play Creature? Searing blood/Twinbolt/Wild Slash. This was on top of him having a bunch of creatures+4 land.

kirblar

Good call on Disrupting Shoal Kirblar (I think is who called it?), looks like it doubled since I bought a set 2 weeks ago.
Yup! :)

I don't pay attention as much anymore since I have a set of nearly everything I care about now, but that one was hyper-obvious.

That card's history is hilarious. It spikes, then people forget that it exists and the price drops. Then people remember that it exists and it spikes again. And so on and so on.

kirblar

Yooooooooo (No confirmation, but the drawbacks to this are legit and it works with both KTK and Zen II)

CHaYGXGUMAEeZR0.jpg:large

MjFrancis

I wasn't on board until I recognized that it was fetchable and that you could target an opponent's creature with it. I had to read it a couple times. Seems OP really. Uncounterable Void Snare?

Wichu

Ability isn't the issue, actually- artist name is misspelled. :(

Would be interesting design space.
Also the bottom of the card uses the wrong typeface and the mana ability should be reminder text.

The ability doesn't work because you only have to sacrifice it if the trigger resolves - 99% of situations when you can't return target creature to its owner's hand are due to there either being no legal targets or the target becoming illegal, both of which would cause the trigger to not resolve. It would have to be worded like Gilded Drake to work.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
T: Add U to your mana pool is redundant. (And not punctuated)

If that were real it would be templated as (T: add U to your mana pool), which would be the first ability listed.

Matriox

Figured it was fake, thought I'd check out the spoiler page to see if i missed anything and saw this on the list:

leafgilder.jpg

I missed it if we already talked about it but it seems like Elvish Mystic won't be in Origins.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Figured it was fake, figured I'd check out the spoiler page to see if i missed anything and saw this on the list:

leafgilder.jpg

I missed it if we already talked about it but it seems like Elvish Mystic won't be in Origins.

There's no particular need to have a 1 mana dork in Origins. You can just put it in BFZ, it makes no difference given the new block/rotation structure.

Matriox

There's no particular need to have a 1 mana dork in Origins. You can just put it in BFZ, it makes no difference given the new block/rotation structure.

True. Elves are also a known quantity on Zendikar.

Edit: that isn't to say it even has to be an elf dork, but youre right.

Figured it was fake, thought I'd check out the spoiler page to see if i missed anything and saw this on the list:

leafgilder.jpg

Why do we need this though if we already have the superior Rattleclaw Mystic in rotation?

Angry Grimace

This will still be in when Rattleclaw rotates out.

There are a lot of 2 mana dorks, hell, Theros block had Golden Hind which was the same as this, just without a relevant creature type.

Angry Grimace

635698224194276639.JPG

Jace is 1U, by the way. He seems good - 2 mana walker with a ridiculously easy flip condition that has the Snapcaster ability as his minus. Nissa seems garbage.

Usual disclaimer about cards that show up this early, they could be fake, etc.

Angry Grimace

So I heard you like Snapcaster Mage...... *trollface*

Liliana's far and away the best so far by a mile.

Liliana sucks though. Surprise! They all are dumb and not worth the hoops. I just think Jace's hoop is the easiest to get through. Basically just Thought Scour and a fetch *shrug* plus you can flashback anything cool. *shrug* I can see ways that card could be ridiculous.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My god Chandra is bad.

How can she be so bad?

What were they thinking??

I don't think Jace's Snapcaster ability is very good. You have to go through the hoops to transform him (and you can't even keep him around as a looter if that's a better choice), and you can only cast the spell from your graveyard during your turn.

On the other hand, Nissa is better than some people are saying (though not very good), at least in an elf tribal deck, just for her front side.

Angry Grimace

I don't think Jace's Snapcaster ability is very good. You have to go through the hoops to transform him (and you can't even keep him around as a looter if that's a better choice), and you can only cast the spell from your graveyard during your turn.

On the other hand, Nissa is better than some people are saying (though not very good), at least in an elf tribal deck, just for her front side.

I'm not sure what you guys are seeing. Nissa looks like garbage.

Toxi

Banned
It still boggles my mind the designers gave Chandra four different activated abilities and made each one direct damage.

Angry Grimace

She replaces herself when she comes into play, and shes not a dead draw late. She's card advantage/parity, which is nice.

I'd be a lot more excited about her ETB if it put the Forest onto the battlefield.

Angry Grimace

Greedy Grimace.

I'm just not excited.

She's just mono-green Sarkhan 4 except you have to wait until turn 7 or even later to use her.

Nissa's front side is most comparable to Civic Wayfinder, which is OK.
Image.ashx

So Nissa is at least just OK.

Except Civic Wayfinder can get you a land of a color you're missing. Nissa just gives you more forests.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Chandra only needs to do 3 damage to flip, not even 3 to a player. A lot of the time you're going to be hitting a 1/1, casting someone else, pinging the opponent, and then pinging the opponent again once she flips.

Edit: Wait Chandra is 3cmc? Boooo.

I wanna see people play with these a little bit before I judge too much. It took four or five years for people to get any good at judging normal planeswalkers and the flip requirements for these make them a bit more complex again to evaluate.

Off the top of my head, I feel like Nissa's abilities are pretty desirable, although her flip condition is a pain in the ass.

Jhriad

So I guess Inquisition of Kozilek is the most recent buyout. Eternal Witness looks like it has finally settled around $6. This train keeps on rolling. It's kind of entertaining at this point.

red13th

I could see myself adding Nissa and Jace to my cube. I wanted a new looter and Jace fits the bill. Nissa seems like an okay card for ramp, I don't hate her. Not sure what I'd cut for her though.

Angry Grimace

So I guess Inquisition of Kozilek is the most recent buyout. Eternal Witness looks like it has finally settled around $6. This train keeps on rolling. It's kind of entertaining at this point.
I'm a little surprised since I could see it in BFZ block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom