• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just won a GPT for San Diego! Super pumped for my two byes ^_^

4CDC Whip still da bess

[]http://media-dominaria.cursecdn.com/attachments/139/921/635698224194276639.JPG[/IMG]

Jace is 1U, by the way. He seems good - 2 mana walker with a ridiculously easy flip condition that has the Snapcaster ability as his minus. Nissa seems garbage.

Usual disclaimer about cards that show up this early, they could be fake, etc.

Do you get to keep Jace if you whip him back then flip him?

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167711821]Just won a GPT for San Diego! Super pumped for my two byes ^_^
[/QUOTE]

Congrats GB!

What's a GPT?

Said it before, I'll say it again. Boy, it sure would be neat if I could hit all the new flipwalkers with Collected Company.

Welp, one more to go and I'd be 5 for 5.

Joe Molotov

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167711821]Do you get to keep Jace if you whip him back then flip him?[/QUOTE]

Woah, time to put the kids to bed!

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167711821]Do you get to keep Jace if you whip him back then flip him?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Replacement effect only cares if you do anything besides exiling him by my reading. If you exile him, whip is satisfied and doesn't give a shit what happens after that. Just like with Torrent Elemental.

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167711821]Just won a GPT for San Diego! Super pumped for my two byes ^_^?[/QUOTE]
Dude awesome. Make us proud.

Hero

That Chandra is terrible design. I know we talked about it a page or two ago but red needs to be able to do more than BURN EVERYTHING as its schtick.

Toxi

Banned
That Chandra is terrible design. I know we talked about it a page or two ago but red needs to be able to do more than BURN EVERYTHING as its schtick.
It's not even that the Chandra has burn, it's that its burn abilities are incredibly repetitive. On the creature side, it can ping a player. On the Planeswalker side it can ping a player, ping a creature, or hit a player harder. That's three abilities that just deal damage to your opponent and one that hits a creature, some insane redundancy.

Truly one of the worst Planeswalker designs I've ever seen.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't understand why her -2 only deals 2 damage. Is it to offset the fact that she can ping a head for 2 as a +1?

Finally managed to trade some cards for a Bitterblossom
and a pink lemonade snapple
as well, just a Stoneforge and a Dark Depths away from completing my Teysa EDH deck ^_^

Dude awesome. Make us proud.

Congrats GB!

What's a GPT?

Thanks!

GPT is a tournament attached to a specific Grand Prix and outside of regular prize support the winner gets 2 byes at that Grand Prix. Somewhere above FNM and below a PPTQ in interest-levels.

Last one I won was for Shanghai so I didn't go, more pumped for this one since it's in my state.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167740549]Finally managed to trade some cards for a Bitterblossom
and a pink lemonade snapple
as well, just a Stoneforge and a Dark Depths away from completing my Teysa EDH deck ^_^

Thanks!

GPT is a tournament attached to a specific Grand Prix and outside of regular prize support the winner gets 2 byes at that Grand Prix. Somewhere above FNM and below a PPTQ in interest-levels.

Last one I won was for Shanghai so I didn't go, more pumped for this one since it's in my state.[/QUOTE]

What do you tutor for with Stoneforge?

If you've never had a chance to do a grab-bag draft, you're missing out. This was the pile of boosters we drafted this afternoon:

fnDVA5f.jpg

I can't recommend these drafts highly enough. They're a huge pain to organize, but some of the best moments of Magic I've ever had have come from one of these.

Yeah, that pool fascinates me. I'd probably swap out the Weatherlight and Judgment packs, and maybe not run the whole Theros block, but it looks like it would've been a super cool draft.

I picked up a bunch of boosters on Ebay, and then people tossed in enough packs to fill out the rest. We have enough to do another in two weeks; I have the entire Kamigawa block queued up for then, some more old core sets, Odyssey, Scourge, Legions, DKA, and a few others.

It was a six-man draft. My deck was absurd. I opened Fate Reforged, then Planar Chaos, then Modern Masters 2015. My FRF rare was a Citadel Siege; I somehow wheeled the Goblin Heelcutter that was in the pack as well, and ended up building Red/White aggro. I got absurdly lucky and opened an Elesh Norn in the Modern Masters pack. I don't have my deck right now; I chucked the chaff and forgot to take a picture first, but it had bunch of early drops, plus a Shock (white-bordered 7th edition!) and a Brimstone Volley. My Jeska, Warrior Adept and Fire Whip put in serious work as well.

I ended up going 2-1; I lost to a BW deck that slammed a Magister of Worth after I had pseudo-alpha'd to take him to 3; he took me to 4 on the backswing, and blew up my board to keep me from killing him on my turn. I then windmill slammed Elesh Norn, and he flipped over the top card of his library - a Murder - to take the game and the match. Crazy stuff. These drafts have some of the best moments.

EDIT: We split up into teams after the draft to simplify the matchmaking and deckbuilding processes (it's a lot more fun to play in teams and have people to cheer for and help you out when you're not doing so well). One of my teammates a had a sick UG ramp deck - and not only did he have a sweet curve, but he had a Mounvouli Beast Tracker to search up a Pelakka Wurm and a Giant Warthog. He'd also drafted an Iterative Analysis to pair with two different Divinations, which was bonkers.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";167740549]GPT is a tournament attached to a specific Grand Prix and outside of regular prize support the winner gets 2 byes at that Grand Prix. Somewhere above FNM and below a PPTQ in interest-levels.

Last one I won was for Shanghai so I didn't go, more pumped for this one since it's in my state.[/QUOTE]

Very cool. I didn't know that sort of thing existed around GPs. Kick some butt at the GP so we can cheer you on during coverage!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If you've never had a chance to do a grab-bag draft, you're missing out. This was the pile of boosters we drafted this afternoon:

I can't recommend these drafts highly enough. They're a huge pain to organize, but some of the best moments of Magic I've ever had have come from one of these.

They're fucking great. My friends and I organize at least one a year, usually for someone's birthday

They're also one of the best uses I've found for Shadowmoor and Eventide packs, since the high hybrid count helps smooth out some of the wonkiness of everyone's decks

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's not even that the Chandra has burn, it's that its burn abilities are incredibly repetitive. On the creature side, it can ping a player. On the Planeswalker side it can ping a player, ping a creature, or hit a player harder. That's three abilities that just deal damage to your opponent and one that hits a creature, some insane redundancy.

Truly one of the worst Planeswalker designs I've ever seen.

I think the dream they want you to live is

Chandra ping (1)
Lightning Bolt (4)
Chandra ping (5)
Lightning Bolt (8)
Chandra Ping (9)
Chandra-PW shock (11).

I mean, Chandra attacking, then Lightning Strike, then ping, then Roaring Flame shock is ~still 8 damage.

wowowowow Patrick Chapin with the monster skill level versus Hayne that game :-o

Haven't seen a random 2-drop be that good since Yuuki Ichikawa's Golgari charm. And his control of the game was just fantastic.

bigkrev

What a miserable top 8. Go Affinity, I guess.

Hey, any T8 with a finite combo deck is good in my book. Also, no Amultet in T16 (and only 1 in T32)!

Also, what the hell is this deck that got a T16

OUCH, Game Loss between rounds for failing a deck check

Vintage is hard. Stupid shiny Library making me use its ability when I have exactly enough lands to use repeal to avoid lethal.

Also, I totally thought Notion Thief's ability stacked. Oops.

Anyone have any guesses what the Pre release boxes will be labeled with? Born was "Born of", M15 was " Hunt with", I'm thinking Origins might be "Origins in " something. Also, where the hell is Gideon's card? It's odd that we've had leaks for every other walker but Him IIRC.

Also, Wizards legitimately has no idea what to do with Red right now, which baffles me. It's all burn/rush, where even if we just take red as emotion/freedom/free will we still can get a lot more card ideas.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Elf tribal won the GP?

Lol wut. But people including WoTC themselves tell me tribal is no good!

Well, WotC says hard tribal is too good, especially in limited. It forces players on rails and makes them stick to a tribe, making for a poor draft environment. They've never said tribal is too weak or not good enough to win games. Quite the opposite. They've continued to move away from hard tribal because it becomes so good as to make branching out of the tribe detrimental.

OnPoint

So what spikes this week now that we've got new results? I see a Thragtusk in that Elves deck main... ;) Someone take some serious guesses though lol

In the "MaRo has some rally outrageously stupid opinions and we should be very glad he's not the arbiter of everything" category: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/121551144783/is-it-true-that-the-legend-rule-is-on-the

There's nothing strange about saying that it would have been better if legendary didn't have a downside from the beginning but they can't do that now because too many cards have been designed around the legendary sacrifice principle. Which is what he's saying when you look at the other questions around the one you linked.

ironmang

There's nothing strange about saying that it would have been better if legendary didn't have a downside from the beginning but they can't do that now because too many cards have been designed around the legendary sacrifice principle. Which is what he's saying when you look at the other questions around the one you linked.

What's the point of legendary then?

What's the point of legendary then?

A signifier for Commander and some cards that provide benefits to legendary permanents. Thus, there wouldn't be any tension between wanting a card as a Commander and wanting to be able to have multiple copies in play. Again, this is just another "if Magic started over" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom