• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure turn one Sire of Insanity is what I live for. Never gets old.

"Is that good?"

Opening hand:

1. Bloodstained Mire
  2. Entomb
  3. Brainstorm
  4. Brainstorm
  5. Dark Ritual
  6. Lotus Petal
  7. Lotus Petal

ALL IN BABY

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";168139994]Deck from the GP used it with Worldspine Wurm to refuel Griselbrand activations. Bob Huang's Goryo's Vengeance deck, I believe.[/QUOTE]
Ah ok. Picked em up at 6 on Amazon, should still be some left.

red13th

holy shit Nourishing Shoaling a Worldspine Wurm in a Through the Breach deck to fuel Griselbrand! This deck sounds amazing.

WIll Worldspine spike?

I picked one up a long time ago for cheap when it was recommended as a long term spec.
I have no idea where it could go but it's just a cool card to have anyway.

I believe that RtR was a pretty well opened set but who knows how many WSW's are out there.

Interesting trivia. As of when MaRo stopped paying attention to the story of Dragon's Maze, completing the maze was actually intended to reorganize the multiverse such that Ravnica was the center of it instead of Dominaria, as opposed to the final outcome of making Jace more special.

Man, I'm having a ton of fun with Vintage as I get more acclimated. The Grixis Thieves deck is just the best. Grixis is my favorite color combo and I love stealing stuff so it's perfect for me.

Interesting trivia. As of when MaRo stopped paying attention to the story of Dragon's Maze, completing the maze was actually intended to reorganize the multiverse such that Ravnica was the center of it instead of Dominaria, as opposed to the final outcome of making Jace more special.

Gotta wonder why they 86'd that idea. Was it because they have plans to visit a post-Time Spiral Dominaria in the future? Or do they just want to keep the amount of references to the pre-Mending storylines down to a bare minimum?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Gotta wonder why they 86'd that idea. Was it because they have plans to visit a post-Time Spiral Dominaria in the future? Or do they just want to keep the amount of references to the pre-Mending storylines down to a bare minimum?

"Jace tested high among males 16-28 who already believe they're the center of the universe. We decided to run with that idea."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"We realized we left a lot of money on the table by not capitalizing on the trend of egotistical YA self-insert Mary Sues who are the center of their fictional universe. Consider Dragon's Maze a prelude of Origins, where we literally turn all the Planeswalkers into YA heroes and heroines."

I imagine it's mainly that becoming the center of the multiverse would hold no significance at all to the denizens of Ravnica.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I imagine it's mainly that becoming the center of the multiverse would hold no significance at all to the denizens of Ravnica.
It's also random and pointless. There is not real purpose to it other than telling old school fans to fuck off.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm saying, we probably don't want to pull that thread too hard. If you do, you may end up selling all your Magic cards and getting a nice, sensible hobby like gardening or needlepoint.

People like Dominaria because its the plane players started with and we have like 10 times more story on that plane than any of the other ones. For some reason, Wizards Creative is very quick to constantly tell us that Dominaria sucks and no one likes it. I'd love to see the marketing research they've based this on.

Gurrry

So after starting my magic journey about a month ago with guidance of you all, I now have spent far too much money. And I cant stop lol.

Ive mainly been buying budget modern decks to amass a nice amount of playable decks that have a strategy. My most recent purchase being this multi combo infite killer that mainly revolved around Intruder Alarm and spawning infinite elves. I think I would feel bad if I ever used this deck IRL because its so stupidly cheap sometimes. The version I have though is from 98 and a reprint was made in 8th edition. If I were to bring this to a modern FNM, would it matter that its not the 8th edition version?

Also - I think my next big purchase is going to be an Origins booster box. Should I pre-order it now to get in at 100? Do you imagine there being a price spike?

Jhriad

So after starting my magic journey about a month ago with guidance of you all, I now have spent far too much money. And I cant stop lol.

Ive mainly been buying budget modern decks to amass a nice amount of playable decks that have a strategy. My most recent purchase being this multi combo infite killer that mainly revolved around Intruder Alarm and spawning infinite elves. I think I would feel bad if I ever used this deck IRL because its so stupidly cheap sometimes. The version I have though is from 98 and a reprint was made in 8th edition. If I were to bring this to a modern FNM, would it matter that its not the 8th edition version?

Also - I think my next big purchase is going to be an Origins booster box. Should I pre-order it now to get in at 100? Do you imagine there being a price spike?

The non-limited print run booster boxes don't spike. It'll slowly sink to around $85 over a few months. Some local shops will give you a better deal for a box by preordering but unless you're planning on drafting or you just really want the box asap you're probably better off waiting or just buying singles a little after release.

OnPoint

It's also random and pointless. There is not real purpose to it other than telling old school fans to fuck off.

I don't know if the message is "fuck off" so much as it's "things have changed". I say this as someone who very much wants to return to Dominaria. So I don't want them to ever go through with that -- I find Ravnica terribly boring as a setting, in all honesty, even though it's popular and usually gives us great cards.

It's funny to find that out about the Dragon's Maze shift though. Let's face it, Jace becoming "The Living Guildpact" is a pretty big letdown and always felt like the end of Sam Rami's Spider-Man -- changed to something less grand at the last minute. They set up the "story" for two sets and all we got was a big pat on the back for Jace in the third? I was so disappointed.

I think the biggest problem I have is the living guildpact just seems like a mundane payoff for the implicit maze shenanigans. It would have been more meaningful to have the guildless citizens rally around someone like Gideon as a leader and "elect" him to that position. Jace getting the position from the guilds playing games just makes the struggle of the guildless sort of pointless.

Reordering the multiverse seems like something Niv-Mizzet would be interested in, and would have been more satisfying, imo.

OnPoint

Reordering the multiverse seems like something Niv-Mizzet would be interested in, and would have been more satisfying, imo.

I would agree if they actually had a plan for it. But I don't know if they even know what their plan is anymore. I look back to M13 and how it was supposed to focus on Nicol Bolas and his plan. We never really got anything out of that. What a letdown -- I don't know if Niv moving Ravnica to the center changes anything other than we get more Ravnica.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I would agree if they actually had a plan for it. But I don't know if they even know what their plan is anymore. I look back to M13 and how it was supposed to focus on Nicol Bolas and his plan. We never really got anything out of that. What a letdown -- I don't know if Niv moving Ravnica to the center changes anything other than we get more Ravnica.

I think they're overhauling a lot of story stuff with the two block shift. Part of the problem has also been that only telling one chunk of several long running concurrent stories a year means everything has moved glacially so far. Things should be twice as fast now

OnPoint

I think they're overhauling a lot of story stuff with the two block shift. Part of the problem has also been that only telling one chunk of several long running concurrent stories a year means everything has moved glacially so far. Things should be twice as fast now

I hope so. I would be lying if I said this move toward YA-style stories in Origins fills me with hope, but at least things can move quicker now.

kirblar

People like Dominaria because its the plane players started with and we have like 10 times more story on that plane than any of the other ones. For some reason, Wizards Creative is very quick to constantly tell us that Dominaria sucks and no one likes it. I'd love to see the marketing research they've based this on.
MaRo went into this- in their view, Dominaria is Middle-Earth (a place with a lot of different regions) in a modern world where they want each plane to be like a Star Wars planet w/ a single ecosystem. Which makes sense.

The Technomancer

MaRo went into this- in their view, Dominaria is Middle-Earth (a place with a lot of different regions) in a modern world where they want each plane to be like a Star Wars planet w/ a single ecosystem. Which makes sense.

I mean, if they really wanted to its not like Theros, Innistrad, Ravnica, whatever couldn't all just be countries or continents of some Dominaria like world, but I think they're right that there is some inherent cool to the idea of the multiverse that they leverage by hopping around

red13th

The edition you use doesn't matter for Modern as long as the card was reprinted in 8th Ed or later.

OnPoint

I always felt like they treated it like planets anyway. A "plane" is basically a separate reality, right? We only get a tiny glimpse of what exists on each one. They could technically have other planets, no? I guess they were never clear on that, or I missed that day of Magic Story class.

kirblar

I always felt like they treated it like planets anyway. A "plane" is basically a separate reality, right? We only get a tiny glimpse of what exists on each one. They could technically have other planets, no? I guess they were never clear on that, or I missed that day of Magic Story class.
You're thinking too literal. Hoth = Ice World. Tatooine = Desert World. Coruscant = City World.

That's what they're going for with the planes. Each plane having a very broad and obvious theme.

Most planes actually are just large enough to contain the world the set takes place on. Some planes are even much smaller than the others; in particular, I believe Lorwyn is supposed to be quite small.

The idea of having unique and identifiable planes makes a lot of sense when you consider return sets. When people bring up a Return to Dominaria, you see a lot of people saying it should be a post-apocalyptic world, simply because that's the most recent presentation, and there's otherwise a lot of disagreement about what in particular should return. Plus, what mechanics do you use?

OnPoint

You're thinking too literal. Hoth = Ice World. Tatooine = Desert World. Coruscant = City World.

That's what they're going for with the planes. Each plane having a very broad and obvious theme.

I knew that was how they did it, I just always hated that. Such a waste.

Most planes actually are just large enough to contain the world the set takes place on. Some planes are even much smaller than the others; in particular, I believe Lorwyn is supposed to be quite small.

Hm. I did not know this.

Maledict

I would guess the vast majority of players currently playing the game actually haven't played a set involving Dominaria, and the last set that was based there was Time Spiral which we know had major issues from their perspective.

Plus Dominaria really doesn't fit their world building system - it can't be summed up in one word because it's a generic fantasy world moulded to fit early magic sets. They want planes to be the same as Star Wars planets - one word descriptors.

OnPoint

I would guess the vast majority of players currently playing the game actually haven't played a set involving Dominaria, and the last set that was based there was Time Spiral which we know had major issues from their perspective.

Plus Dominaria really doesn't fit their world building system - it can't be summed up in one word because it's a generic fantasy world moulded to fit early magic sets. They want planes to be the same as Star Wars planets - one word descriptors.

Honestly if this is the case then just close the plane down and wipe it from existence. I'd be happier knowing we can't go back there rather than knowing we won't go back there.

Let it collapse into a planar black hole and use it to destroy the Eldrazi. Boom. It's relevant to the story again without being in the way and it wraps up a major storyline.

Jace is the son of Gerrard and Sisay. The Legacy are actually the dead bodies of the Eldrazi and its all just a predestination paradox and/or dream.

ElyrionX

No matter which general I choose and what my initial deck list looks like, all my EDH decks somehow end up evolving into a control deck of some sort.

Looking at Enthralling Victor's text, it occurs to me that "X an opponent controls" feels unnecessarily wordy. Would there be a problem with using the term "enemy X" instead? Like Vic would be, "When Enthralling Victor enters the battlefield, gain control of target enemy creature with power 2 or less until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste until end of turn."

Banishing Light would be, "When Banishing Light enters the battlefield, exile target enemy nonland permanent until Banishing Light leaves the battlefield."

Exotic Orchard would be, "Tap: Add to your mana pool one mana of any color that an enemy land could produce."

OK, I suppose it sounds better just on creatures.

Angry Grimace

Fake complaining:

Why is the choice always between Tarmogoyf and premium removal? I needed that Nameless Inversion, MTGO.
LLShC.gif

The Technomancer

I mean, this is exactly why my friends and I re-draft rares, which people also have a real problem with for some reason. But we do that precisely to disincentivise money picking: the best way to get the money in the pool is to build the best deck and win

Angry Grimace

I mean, this is exactly why my friends and I re-draft rares, which people also have a real problem with for some reason. But we do that precisely to disincentivise money picking: the best way to get the money in the pool is to build the best deck and win

It doesn't matter, I went 0-3 and nothing would have helped. All I drew were Plains all three game. Which is weird since there were only 5 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom