• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";168585232]Buy me a Tundra and I'll trade you a playset of Noble Hierarchs :p[/QUOTE]

Do you care if it is in German?

He would lose loyalty without that clause so long as he is still a planeswalker. The difference between Gideon (either Gideon Jura or this card) and Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker is that Sarkhan's card simply omits "He's still a planeswalker" so Sarkhan can't lose loyalty when he takes combat damage because he's not a planeswalker.

The only way its functionally relevant in Standard is that Wild Slash with the Ferocious add-on will let you kill Gideon in combat.
Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. Is there any good reason Gideon and Sarkhan function differently here, in regards to remaining a planeswalker or not? I mean, any idea why Wizards changed the templating for this?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. Is there any good reason Gideon and Sarkhan function differently here, in regards to remaining a planeswalker or not? I mean, any idea why Wizards changed the templating for this?

I can think of a few issues: a) preventing damage isn't very red, b) a space issue on the card (seems unlikely), c) its just flavor to say that when Sarkhan transforms into a giant fuck-off monster he doesn't have Planeswalker abilities, or d) they wanted you to be able to use Sarkhan's minus-3 ability if you had another copy in your hand but already controlled a Sarkhan.

I'm guessing on D.

Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. Is there any good reason Gideon and Sarkhan function differently here, in regards to remaining a planeswalker or not?

Because Sarkhan's power is him turning into a dragon and flying over to attack in a non-human form, while Gideon's is literally that he, Gideon the planeswalker, wanders over and beats up some dudes.

Matriox

He would lose loyalty without that clause so long as he is still a planeswalker. The difference between Gideon (either Gideon Jura or this card) and Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker is that Sarkhan's card simply omits "He's still a planeswalker" so Sarkhan can't lose loyalty when he takes combat damage because he's not a planeswalker.

The only way its functionally relevant in Standard is that Wild Slash with the Ferocious add-on will let you kill Gideon in combat.

I figured it was due to Infect/Wither complications, or to make the relevance between combat damage, burn, and spot removal that destroys, but that makes more sense.

nonononononononononononono

NO. NO. NO.

3oEdv2j274LsPjI2cw.gif

FUCKING GOD. NO. FUCK.

NOT YOU

WanderingWind

Aw, well that's a bummer. And no fucking way you accidentally search out a Ghost Quarter in that scenario. At this point, is there anybody who isn't cheating?

If you've never had a chance to do a grab-bag draft, you're missing out. This was the pile of boosters we drafted this afternoon:

I can't recommend these drafts highly enough. They're a huge pain to organize, but some of the best moments of Magic I've ever had have come from one of these.

Back in '05 during a slow summer the shop I went to used to have these (we called 'em suicide drafts) every week until we drained their supply of older sets. It was amazing and I miss it.

Hero

But remember: Draft a foil Goyf in a tournament and other pros will shame you. Just cheat and no one will say a thing.

OnPoint

I called Brad out for cheating in the comments of a Vs video in the past on the SCG website and nobody commented on it. As good as he is, sometimes he's sloppy. I'm sure all player have the capacity for mistakes.

That said, I don't know if this was intentional. I'm sure an investigation will be launched. But him being the Player's Champion from the first year and all... doesn't look good if he gets a ban.

kirblar

Don't know if he cheats, but he definitely scumbags things like slamming an Elspeth and immediately minusing vs a player using counterspells or other reactive cards.

May not have been intentional, but he definitely knew what he did by the time his hand hovered.

WanderingWind

One thing I will say, unless he knew that his opponent didn't have a basic forest in his deck, it doesn't look like the Ghost Quarter is going to do anything there. Am I missing something in the board state?

So, what's the etiquette for setting prices for selling magic cards to friends and acquaintances? I'm guessing somewhere between tcgplayer low and mid?

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";168631952]He knew he did it in the game and didn't say anything to anybody.[/QUOTE]

What makes it look really bad to me is, unless they played with the speed in that GIF, he slams it down and taps immediately, taking the focus off what land he played and directing it instead toward whatever he was doing next. That's a pretty clear sign of misdirection. It falls in line with what Kirblar said earlier about the Elspeth stuff. They definitely need to review his tapes.

ultron87

It's probably important to note that there were 3 minutes left on the round. So it isn't like there wasn't a reason for moving hastily.

I do think he probably noticed he'd done it eventually, and didn't call it out during the game, which would be cause for a cheating DQ. If he called himself on it it'd just be a warning and they probably wouldn't even roll it back or anything.

It's probably important to note that there were 3 minutes left on the round. So it isn't like there wasn't a reason for moving hastily.
I don't think he did it intentionally because there's no major immediate advantage, but he should have called the judge. He didn't because the judge call would take them to time.

That, said, if he did, it's not something with completely irrelevant board impact. Boswell has his own quarter, which means ripping terminate/decay into manland puts him right back in the game.

Liliana's origin

Despite her coming from Dominaria, the way it's presented in the story, she may as well have come from some nameless plane. We don't even know what time period she came from, though I'm still betting on Onslaught. That said, I thought the story was decent. It looks like we'll be getting cards for Raven Man, Kothoped, and Josu Vess. Also, we have confirmation that Liliana is an oldswalker and she was introduced to the four demons she made pacts with by Bolas.

Also, dumb prerelease gimmick encouraging everyone to cosplay. I like how they didn't give an example on how to pay tribute to Liliana; I guess they expect all the neckbeards to wear her outfit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've seen some odd choices in apparel at prereleases as it is.

Angry Grimace

Liliana's origin

Despite her coming from Dominaria, the way it's presented in the story, she may as well have come from some nameless plane. We don't even know what time period she came from, though I'm still betting on Onslaught. That said, I thought the story was decent. It looks like we'll be getting cards for Raven Man, Kothoped, and Josu Vess. Also, we have confirmation that Liliana is an oldswalker and she was introduced to the four demons she made pacts with by Bolas.

Also, dumb prerelease gimmick encouraging everyone to cosplay. I like how they didn't give an example on how to pay tribute to Liliana; I guess they expect all the neckbeards to wear her outfit.

Actually it totally retcons pretty much all of Lilliana's story. They say the Mending occurred roughly a century after she obtained her spark (and they list her pre-Mending years as only a few decades).

The Mending occurs in 4500, and its ~4600 in Tarkir (assuming Tarkir takes place about the same amount of real world time from every block after Time Spiral). She's like 300.

OnPoint

Liliana nodded absently, thinking of her first encounter with the Raven Man, all those years ago, and the terrible events that followed. She had bested him, as the dragon said, but not killed him—not yet.

Hope we get a cool card of this guy.

Angry Grimace

Yay, spoilers are coming up next week.

Oh wait, we already saw all of the Planeswalkers.

Angry Grimace

Raven Man is just gonna be Necropotence on legs. Trust me.

Angry Grimace

I think its pretty funny they did find the level at which Necropotence isn't playable and its just going back to Greed. Which is of course interesting since Greed pre-dated Necropotence.

OnPoint

I think its pretty funny they did find the level at which Necropotence isn't playable and its just going back to Greed. Which is of course interesting since Greed pre-dated Necropotence.

But Erebos was in so many decks and his was 1B, 2 life: Draw a card

Of course I know he wasn't in those decks for that, it was just gravy on an already fitting card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom