• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Damn. That sucks

I had 8 soulshift guys and I drew 3 of them all three matches. Its an inherent flaw in the game *shrug* The better strategy would have, again, been to force RW, UR or GB since nobody takes those archetypes. The problem is that MM2015 is an actively bad format because of Wayfarer's Bauble and Alloy Myr so nothing good ever gets to you because there's 2 or 3 guys in every draft going Domain and drafting every single decent card regardless of archetype.

Yeef

I mean, this is exactly why my friends and I re-draft rares, which people also have a real problem with for some reason. But we do that precisely to disincentivise money picking: the best way to get the money in the pool is to build the best deck and win
Part of the appeal of draft, especially for the more casual players, is that even if they do poorly they at least, potentially, walk away with cards they want. Redrafting gets rid of that incentive.

Usually what I do with my friends (other than cube drafting) is to just have one person buy all of the product. We draf t(or sealed) with it, then the person who bought it just keeps it all.

ironmang

I mean, this is exactly why my friends and I re-draft rares, which people also have a real problem with for some reason. But we do that precisely to disincentivise money picking: the best way to get the money in the pool is to build the best deck and win

I only have a problem with it if it's shop policy and not just friends agreeing to draft that way. You have to trust that someone will forfeit the goyf, foil ugin, or whatever else they just opened with the hopes of winning it later. There would just end up being a lot of people switching out rares or quickly dropping and leaving the shop if they open money. For the more honest, mediocre players there would be a lot of feel-bad when they open an ugin and end up walking away with some bulk rare. Really only works if it's between friends of a similar skill level who trust each other.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gideon is completely ridiculous. One mana Planeswalker. dafuq

LF3C5y7.jpg

ygQatyj.jpg

I knew that was how they did it, I just always hated that. Such a waste.

What's being wasted, exactly?

Usually what I do with my friends (other than cube drafting) is to just have one person buy all of the product. We draf t(or sealed) with it, then the person who bought it just keeps it all.

This is how we do it too. (Or if we needed to split it up more, back in the 3-set-block days we'd have three people each bring one of the sets.)

ironmang

I wonder if decks that try to build around that are going to suffer the same problems as the mono black aggro decks that have showed up at various times this past year. Mostly that red is just better in every aspect and an impossibly difficult matchup due to the token generators and cards like searing blaze.

It's obviously very powerful though and I can't wait to see what builds it inspires.

Angry Grimace

I wonder if decks that try to build around that are going to suffer the same problems as the mono black aggro decks that have showed up at various times this past year. Mostly that red is just better in every aspect and an impossibly difficult matchup due to the token generators and cards like searing blaze.

It's obviously very powerful though and I can't wait to see what builds it inspires.

R/W, T1 Battlefield Forge - Kytheon, T2 Mountain, Swiftspear, Swiftspear, shit-eating-grin.

Crocodile

I'm getting flashbacks of when I saw Gideon 1.0 for the first time. "How is this a Magic Card?" though not as extreme. God I hope the foils for this aren't insane, this is a 360 staple.

2 Snapcasters + 3 MM2 Cliques for a NM Revised Tundra and a Force of Will. Good trade? Or keep sitting on the Snaps?

I can't wait for someone to cast CoCo then proceed to win the game off using Liliana's flip to return a combo piece.

Coco into Lili + Silumgar Sorceror seems good for standard.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";168509572]I'm probably gonna run Jace and Nissa as one-ofs and two or three lilis in my deck to test them out. They're just unbelievable whip targets.[/QUOTE]
I can't wait for Whip to rotate so I can stop hearing about which cards are good to whip.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";168515382]It's a good card ^_^[/QUOTE]
It's a mediocre card that never lived up to the hype, tbh. And that's serious talk, not just trolling GB.

MjFrancis

Gideon is insane. R/W Aggro will be back in good form this summer.

Also, Terminate is more expensive than the $1 I remember them commanding. That's Jund for you.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Am I missing why these new planeswalkers would combo well with Whip? Its not like they get whipped back in PW form, do they? Or is it just that if you transform them they no longer get exiled from Whip?

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";168528582]All the BUG flipwalkers are great with Whip's gameplan, but Jace is especially free to flip.

yup[/QUOTE]

Jace and Liliana are good with Whip, the other three are pretty bad because they're win-more.

Nissa requires you to have a million lands to flip, Gideon has to survive combat and Chandra won't do the requisite damage unless she survives combat.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";168510662]2 Snapcasters + 3 MM2 Cliques for a NM Revised Tundra and a Force of Will. Good trade? Or keep sitting on the Snaps?[/QUOTE]

That may be the worst trade in history. Hold the Snaps. They're almost guaranteed to not see a reprint for 2 years. Sell them in the modern season leading up to MM3.

Angry Grimace

Why does his last ability grant both indestructible and "prevent all damage"? Being indestructible means he can't be destroyed by dealing damage anyways, right? I'm probably missing something, but it seems redundant...

Gets around 'damage can't be prevented' I think?

He would lose loyalty without that clause so long as he is still a planeswalker. The difference between Gideon (either Gideon Jura or this card) and Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker is that Sarkhan's card simply omits "He's still a planeswalker" so Sarkhan can't lose loyalty when he takes combat damage because he's not a planeswalker.

The only way its functionally relevant in Standard is that Wild Slash with the Ferocious add-on will let you kill Gideon in combat.

That may be the worst trade in history. Hold the Snaps. They're almost guaranteed to not see a reprint for 2 years. Sell them in the modern season leading up to MM3.

Yeah, Tundra's pretty stable, hold off for a bit.

Fine :(

The only way its functionally relevant in Standard is that Wild Slash with the Ferocious add-on will let you kill Gideon in combat.

I'm sad Kiora doesn't see more play just so people can attack with goblin rabblemaster then wild slash to push damage through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom