• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I expect Snap to surpass goyf before the year is over.

I would pretty much instantly trade out of Twin to start playing Jund in paper if that happened. Granted, everything else in Jund is spiking, so yeah...

I'm already pissed off I didn't buy *more* Snapcasters when I knew I was getting a good deal at $30 a piece.

OnPoint

I love that some folks are still denying that buyouts are a thing or that the "rare" buyout isn't an issue because prices will just fall back to near prior levels. Yep, no problems here.

I don't know how it can be denied at this point. This market is in need of some kind of course correction.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know how it can be denied at this point. This market is in need of some kind of course correction.

The fact that the Magic community figured out supply and demand just now is so cute.

OnPoint

It was inevitable wasn't it? I mean, it always existed to some degree, but now that it can be so easily manipulated, why not exploit it?

Angry Grimace

It was inevitable wasn't it? I mean, it always existed to some degree, but now that it can be so easily manipulated, why not exploit it?

Its not any more easily manipulated than it was before. Its that people weren't willing to gamble with the amount of start-up capital you need to invest in this kind of scheme when Magic was less popular.

OnPoint

I think we're seeing spikes like this now because Wizards has finally settled into a repeated reprint pattern. I think with MM1 people weren't sure how this would work. MM2015 showed greater insight into how they're going to structure the sets, and that they're going to appear biannually. Also given what we know about the upcoming sets (Origins and BFZ) certain cards aren't at risk for reprint for flavor reasons for at least a year, except maybe for the outside chance that one or two of the spiked targets end up in a supplemental product we don't yet know about.

Grimace, why is Vintage so much fun? It's like every deck is my Legacy Reanimator deck.

Lotus Petal/Dark Ritual + Entomb + Reanimate into Griselbrand
vs
Moxen + Tinker into Blightsteel

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";168684457]Grimace, why is Vintage so much fun? It's like every deck is my Legacy Reanimator deck.

Lotus Petal/Dark Ritual + Entomb + Reanimate into Griselbrand
vs
Moxen + Tinker into Blightsteel[/QUOTE]

I liked it better when Oath was still good.

Angry Grimace

sAYCHNG.png

why is it always eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelves

Wulfric

I'm curious as to what direction Wizards is giving artists in the style guide. All the planeswalkers look just a little off. I guess you could call them cartoonish? It seems to be an issue with the leaked SDCC walkers and the Chase Stone promo art.

Karla Ortiz did a bang up job with Lili, though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They gave them copies of The Hunger Games.

I finally finished Grixis Twin and played it tonight. It was definitely a strong deck. But... it wasn't... fun? I noticed that in the recent tournament the UR version is what everyone seemed to go with.

Here is the deck list.

4 Deceiver Exarch
2 Pestermite
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
Creatures [11]

2 Cryptic Command
1 Dispel
1 Electrolyze
1 Kolaghan's Command
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Remand
4 Serum Visions
2 Spell Snare
4 Splinter Twin
2 Terminate
2 Thoughtseize
Spells [27]

1 Blood Crypt
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Desolate Lighthouse
4 Island
1 Mountain
4 Polluted Delta
3 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
3 Sulfur Falls
1 Swamp
1 Watery Grave

kirblar

I'm betting this bad CG art shows up in the Origins game. This feels like Dorne on GoT- they have to know they're polishing a turd for that part of the set.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I never figured out why or how all the planes keep the same, objective, time.

I'm curious as to what direction Wizards is giving artists in the style guide. All the planeswalkers look just a little off. I guess you could call them cartoonish? It seems to be an issue with the leaked SDCC walkers and the Chase Stone promo art.

Karla Ortiz did a bang up job with Lili, though.

Haven't we only seen the promo versions of three of the walkers? Those always look off/bad to me.

I finally finished Grixis Twin and played it tonight. It was definitely a strong deck. But... it wasn't... fun? I noticed that in the recent tournament the UR version is what everyone seemed to go with.

Here is the deck list.

I've actually been playing a lot of modern despite it being my least favorite format lately because it's the format most people are willing to test right now. I run the same deck as well as Bloom Titan and here's the Grixis list I've tuned for now:

sarkeezy31jja.png

Random thought, it would be neat to have a capitalist black planeswalker, since MaRo has previously said that capitalism is a black concept.

Bad Deal Salesman - 3BB
Planeswalker - Salesman
0 : Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature an opponent controls, then put X loyalty counters on Bad Deal Salesman, where X is that creature's power.
-3 : Target player discards a card and gains 1 life. Draw a card.
-10 : Target player gains life equal to the number of creatures he or she controls. Gain control of all creatures he or she controls.

No idea if this is reasonable or not.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";168739092]wow 3/4, really? at least 4/4 would be able to trade with Thunderbreak.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why it is a 3/4.

Haven't played magic in years. Remembered hardly anything. Anyway, my friend asked me if I wanted to come to a draft he was hosting and I thought why the hell not.
Turned out to be a lot of fun, ended up running a blue/black deck and winning more than half my games.
Needless to say I'm hooked haha

bunch of lands, Dismal Backwater
2 Sultai Runemark
Defeat
Ghastly Conscription
Rakshasa's Disdain
Fearsome Awakening
Reality Shift
Temporal Trespass
Flatten
Crux of Fate
Tasigur's Cruelty
2 Negate
Palace Siege
Butcher's Glee

Tasigur, the Golden Fang
Typhoid Rats
Archfiend of Depravity
Blood-Chin Rager
Mindscour Dragon
Mardu Shadowspear
Silumgar Assassin
Quarsi Sadist
2 Elusive Spellfist
Icefall Regent
Alesha's Vanguard
Jeskai Sage
Noxious Dragon
Qarsi High Priest

For those curious, Match 3 Game 3 is why there is a Bow of Nylea in the sideboard. LSV never figured out what it was for; I think he easily wins if he boards it in.

FeD.nL

Received the 2 Bitterblossoms today and wow, the art really does look amazing. I've seen it online but still. Gonna try the card out tomorrow night and see how it does. Might have to get 2 more if I like it.

One more question, is there a chance Thoughtseize is getting a reprint in Origins or not? Sorry still a big noob with rotations and all that.

Angry Grimace

Received the 2 Bitterblossoms today and wow, the art really does look amazing. I've seen it online but still. Gonna try the card out tomorrow night and see how it does. Might have to get 2 more if I like it.

One more question, is there a chance Thoughtseize is getting a reprint in Origins or not? Sorry still a big noob with rotations and all that.

No.

red13th

Very unlikely, it's way too strong for Standard.

bigkrev

0%. If you don't have a playset yet, you are almost out of time to get them at a reasonable price.

OnPoint

I kinda wanna start an MTG Finance blog that uses clickbait titles for its articles.

• Is Thoughtseize the next Snapcaster Mage?
  • 25 secret cards that might spike soon
  • Modern Masters or wallet blasters -- How WIzards is failing the player base

But really, Thoughtseize is probably the next Snapcaster Mage.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I kinda wanna start an MTG Finance blog that uses clickbait titles for its articles.

It'll rise in price, but considering Snapcaster is an auto 4 of in what, every blue deck not named Merfolk, I don't think it'll be quite Snappy. Voice of Resurgence is going to jump soon though.

Angry Grimace

You have to get the formatting right:

We Asked 7 MTG Finance Experts Which Cards Will Spike Soon (And They're Not The Ones You Think!)
A Guy Opened a Box of Modern Masters 2015 And It Will Bring You To Tears
Watch What Happens When A Man Buys Every Blood Moon On TCGPlayer (The Ending Will Shock You)

There are a billion Thoughtseize out there though. Thoughtseize was a Modern/Extended/Legacy staple before it was even revealed to be in Theros. Voice, I don't know, its not really played in enough decks for me to be really convinced that its on its way to a huge bump.

OnPoint

It'll rise in price, but considering Snapcaster is an auto 4 of in what, every blue deck not named Merfolk, I don't think it'll be quite Snappy. Voice of Resurgence is going to jump soon though.

Glad I have my playset. I should probably pick up some of its tokens while I'm thinking about it. Why do you think the jump -- CoCo?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Glad I have my playset. I should probably pick up some of its tokens while I'm thinking about it. Why do you think the jump -- CoCo?

Yup. It's basically Pod 2.0 and the shell remains as viable as ever. It's not quite as efficient, but it's damn good. And like pod, it'll only continue to get better the more creatures they print. Basic rule of thumb, any powerful card that R&D fucked up on will continue to increase until banned. VoR isn't powerful enough to be banned, but it is powerful enough to be the best 2 drop in those colors and it plays perfectly with CoCo.

I'm surprised they didn't use that art of them in an action pose for the card, especially since that art didn't seem to particularly tie into any story moments. The card itself seems pretty decent.

EDIT: That article also reveals something that I wasn't aware of before: Magic Origins will not require you to download a completely new version the next year like with Duels, but rather will keep on adding cards each year. Also, they're doing a lot of Hearthstone stuff, apparently.

EDIT: Also, it's a mini Siege-Gang Commander.

EDIT: Also, Chandra's parents look a lot more Indian in this art than the action pose one.

red13th

That is a nice card that's going straight in my cube! Wish there were more Red artifact support cards in Modern (mostly I wish Daretti and Feldon were Modern legal).

Angry Grimace

Meh, they still look kinda generically white like Chandra does (at least the dad guy does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom