• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Was cool to see that Chromantiflayer deck on the GP Paris stream. Seemed like a strong call for the current format. That and Collected Company are way better than the "jank" labels people love to attach.

If you add mana after blocks but before damage, do you lose it at the end of combat or only when you move to the next main? I think Antonio's opponent had a slight out there.

bigkrev

Apparently, we missed a hell of a game of Magic

And yeah, I'm worried about MM2 limited. I generated about a half dozen sealed decks, and all of them had massive issues with playables or being "fun", like MM1 allowed you to do

Mana empties after every step and phase. So you can't carry it to after damage.

Ok, just making sure. I don't think he had quite enough then. I was trying to figure out if there was a way for him to flip Polukranos to Whisperwood and wipe out enough tokens to do anything.

And letting Maro write those posts on that ridiculous blog he runs makes them look even more stupid and is a PR disaster just waiting to happen; the only reason it hasn't happened yet is because Magic players are so used to eating Wizard's shit that they just don't call them out on it.

Yes, the problem with Magic players is that they don't complain enough and they're too enthusiastic about everything.

Did people even play sealed MM1?

Single-player sealed is barely even a real format.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The dumbest part of Maro's blog is the part where he thinks he can trick his bosses into greenlighting a third Un-set nobody wants by just answering a lot of questions about it to fake demand for it. Nobody fucking wants an unset.

Jhriad

The dumbest part of Maro's blog is the part where he thinks he can trick his bosses into greenlighting a third Un-set nobody wants by just answering a lot of questions about it to fake demand for it. Nobody fucking wants an unset.

Yeah, I'd much rather see another Conspiracy style product with more EDH staples reprinted in it.

kirblar

Why MaRo is a horrific developer, in one question- http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/118611635188/okay-so-i-counted-and-there-are-57-cards-that

That is NOT a lmitation. You only need 4-5 infect cards in a constructed infect deck. Reprinting the mechanic will make all of those decks better unless they make the mechanic completely terrible.

And the worst part- he knows this. He knows that formats don't self-regulate based on availability of cards with a mechanic stamped on it. But he makes the disingenuous argument anyway because he really likes that mechanic.

red13th

And why the hell does he even like infect? It's not even particularly creative or mechanically interesting. I hate reading MaRo sometimes (a lot of times actually but still).

If they print Un3 I hope it tanks so bad.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Meh, I agree about Infect for the most part outside of just reprinting Inkmoth as a rare and dealing with it not being for limited. Its problematic because it doesn't work with regular Magic cards very well.

Infect is the cheapest deck in Modern (figuratively and literally) so I have to roll my eyes a little at the moaning and groaning over it not being in MM2015.

bigkrev

And why the hell does he even like infect? It's not even particularly creative or mechanically interesting. I hate reading MaRo sometimes (a lot of times actually but still).

If they print Un3 I hope it tanks so bad.

It won't tank if for no other reason than they will print the most desirable basic lands of all time in that set, one per pack.

Pretty sure his love of infect comes from a love of alternate win conditions

Matriox

It won't tank if for no other reason than they will print the most desirable basic lands of all time in that set, one per pack.

Depending on how they look for sure, I know my only interest in Un3 would be those lands.

red13th

Conspiracy was great because it reprinted two of my favourite cards ever, Exploration and Stifle, plus had some really cool stuff Mirari's Wake, Misdirection, Squirrel Nest and Pernicious Deed. I wouldn't mind more Conspiracy sets if they did it in the same style - if they go MM15 on Conspiracy 2, I'd probably skip it.

Yeef

And why the hell does he even like infect?
He'd been trying to get poison back in the game forever and then finally did with infect, so he's pretty attached to the mechanic.

As far as Un-sets go, I would rather have a ragular set with some un-cards in a special slot rather than a full-on un-set. I can't see myself buying many (if any) Un packs and I have more than enough full-art lands as it is (and will probably have even more come Battle For Zendikar).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I hope they bring back Battle of Wits again. My favorite card in the history of Magic. Sleeving up 240 feels so good.

pls maro

Hero

Why MaRo is a horrific developer, in one question- http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/118611635188/okay-so-i-counted-and-there-are-57-cards-that

That is NOT a lmitation. You only need 4-5 infect cards in a constructed infect deck. Reprinting the mechanic will make all of those decks better unless they make the mechanic completely terrible.

And the worst part- he knows this. He knows that formats don't self-regulate based on availability of cards with a mechanic stamped on it. But he makes the disingenuous argument anyway because he really likes that mechanic.

This is the one thing I vehemently disagree with MaRo on. I find infect to be a completely terrible mechanic (poison in general). Everything in this game has answers except for poison* (one card from The Dark doesn't count). Killing the creatures isn't a valid defense either considering the plethora of crazy good, efficient pump/protection spells.

kirblar

This is the one thing I vehemently disagree with MaRo on. I find infect to be a completely terrible mechanic (poison in general). Everything in this game has answers except for poison* (one card from The Dark doesn't count). Killing the creatures isn't a valid defense either considering the plethora of crazy good, efficient pump/protection spells.
Poison played badly in limited. He literally had no idea that people wouldn't play half poison/half normal decks and was surprised by the min-maxing that made it such a not-great limited environment. It's not just constructed that's holding back (although printing no new 1/2 drops with infect is a rough thing to work around.)

I need to do a write up on the Hearthstone problem that Infect and Splinter Twin are guilty of- OHKOs from an empty boardstate suuuuuck and are something to be avoided having happen on a regular basis in gameplay.

I need to do a write up on the Hearthstone problem that Infect and Splinter Twin are guilty of- OHKOs from an empty boardstate suuuuuck and are something to be avoided having happen on a regular basis in gameplay.

That is the perfect name for this problem.

No no, The Dark actually had a few good cards. Leeches is from Homelands. I understand if you want to forget that set happened.

Firemind

No no, The Dark actually had a few good cards. Leeches is from Homelands. I understand if you want to forget that set happened.
I was checking Maze of Ith for my EDH deck and it's actually worth a lot considering it's an uncommon. It doesn't even tap for mana! Related, say an opponent has Urborg in play. Can I tap Maze for colorless mana even though my general isn't black?

I was checking Maze of Ith for my EDH deck and it's actually worth a lot considering it's an uncommon. It doesn't even tap for mana! Related, say an opponent has Urborg in play. Can I tap Maze for colorless mana even though my general isn't black?

Absolutely. And since it doesn't normally tap for mana I don't really count it as a land for my EDH decks. I slot it like a spell.

Hero

Ah, you are correct. Homelands was terrible.

Poison played badly in limited. He literally had no idea that people wouldn't play half poison/half normal decks and was surprised by the min-maxing that made it such a not-great limited environment. It's not just constructed that's holding back (although printing no new 1/2 drops with infect is a rough thing to work around.)

Interestingly enough, I won the prerelease of my SoM by doing partial infect and partial normal. It totally threw a lot of people off and they made terrible trades. Don't think it would've worked past that but it was funny at the time. Totally agree that the OHKO thing is a problem. It's just not fun and doesn't feel good.

Crocodile

GP Atlantic City

Having my friend Hugh lose out on their change to make Top 8 because Wilson played a turn 5 Ojutai was hard to watch :(

Good job on Calcano and LSV for making Top 8 though :)

Man, MM2 is still scary for me to preorder. Could lose out.
I'd just want a foil goyf to pay for what I lack in Modern. lol

I only have two Serum Visions! boo

Firemind

LSV is drafting B/R. youarealreadydead
kappa

Though as we speak he has just picked up Crux of Fate and Young Kolaghan to go with his Sidisi and Thunderbreak Regent. :lol

y2dvd

Man, MM2 is still scary for me to preorder. Could lose out.
I'd just want a foil goyf to pay for what I lack in Modern. lol

I only have two Serum Visions! boo

I'm still hesitant on buying a box also, but there's quite a few people at the lgs that wants to home draft, so I think I'll pick one up for that.

Kai going in on Marshall and Modern limited on twitter

Basically it goes like this:

Marshall on stream: LSV's deck looks like crap.
Kai: Marshall stfu his deck is amazing
LSV: lulz watch me lose my first match

In all honesty, Limited is hard to evaluate, even for the best of the best. I tend to think that Marshall's evaluation is closer to the truth than Kai's here, to be honest.

kirblar

Basically it goes like this:

Marshall on stream: LSV's deck looks like crap.
Kai: Marshall stfu his deck is amazing
LSV: lulz watch me lose my first match

In all honesty, Limited is hard to evaluate, even for the best of the best. I tend to think that Marshall's evaluation is closer to the truth than Kai's here, to be honest.
The ensuing discussion about bomb rares warping modern limited is very interesting though.

Grand Prix Paris only had two Esper Dragons control decks in the top 16, none of which were in the top 8. Abzan Aggro won in the end, and there were a lot of Abzan decks overall. It's interesting that Hidden Dragonslayer is in multiple decks, so now we have at least three morph cards seeing significant play. Also, a deck with Dragonlord Kolaghan (in the sideboard) was at 16th place!

Maledict

The thing i dont get about the 'Un' sets is that they are the opposite of humour. There isn't a single card in any of them that even raises a smile, never mind a laugh. Its that awful "lots of bad puns are funny!" style of humour that doesn't appeal to a single person I know.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Who was selling some Goyfs over here? I'm going to just buy those instead of MM. Might as well buy them from a GAF bro.

The thing i dont get about the 'Un' sets is that they are the opposite of humour. There isn't a single card in any of them that even raises a smile, never mind a laugh. Its that awful "lots of bad puns are funny!" style of humour that doesn't appeal to a single person I know.

They are Maro's babies. They are Maro's humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom