• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

The thing i dont get about the 'Un' sets is that they are the opposite of humour. There isn't a single card in any of them that even raises a smile, never mind a laugh. Its that awful "lots of bad puns are funny!" style of humour that doesn't appeal to a single person I know.

The first one was kinda funny to me, but I was like, 12 or something when it came out. Not so much anymore.[

I want one for beautiful, unique lands. Honestly, they could make boosters that were the Unhinged lands and nothing else, 5 a pack, random art assortment, and I'd buy tons of them for $3.

ultron87

The "Elemental" at the end of "Our Market Research Shows That Players Like Really Long Card Names So We Made this Card to Have the Absolute Longest Card Name Ever Elemental" is hilarious. And those sets have some funny designs, even if they aren't actually "jokes", like Old Fogey and Who/What/When/Where/Why.

I love Who/What/When/Where/Why. It's almost good enough to cube!

What I really want from an Un-Set are the cards that just push outside of the normal rule set; cards that could live in the regular world, but just don't. The kind of card that you could actually cube if you wanted to.

For example: Rocket Powered Turbo Slug, Togglodyte, Booster Tutor, Mise, S.N.O.T., Water Gun Balloon Game, etc...

Conspiracy came close to this. I want to them to do another Conspiracy that just goes a little crazier.

SCG's Commander Vs series (which took a huge quality hit after McDarby left) had a great April Fool's video, where they played 4-Player Commander Vanguard Planechase with Un-cards. Ashnod's Coupon did, in fact, come up.

Firemind

I really like Ashdod's Coupon and Chaos Confetti.

So there's a Scg Iq this weekend I will be playing in, thinking of playing Grixis Dragons. http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/69577

I'm thinking I should try to get Anger of the Gods or Drown in Sorrows to the main board but not quite sure the numbers.
I love the idea, but that mana base. Yikes. I'd splash the third colour, but I'm not sure if I want to go U/B/r, U/R/b or B/R/u.

Dragonlord Kolaghan seems super sweet now though with so many Den Protectors running around.

Matriox

I love the idea, but that mana base. Yikes. I'd splash the third colour, but I'm not sure if I want to go U/B/r, U/R/b or B/R/u.

Dragonlord Kolaghan seems super sweet now though with so many Den Protectors running around.

The list is identical to one I saw on scg, not sure which tourney, probably another iq but it ended up getting top 8. The splash on the original was black.

So apparently one of the Top 8 competitors at GP AC this weekend was convicted on Sexual Assault charges, and served 3 months under a plea bargin to lesser charges
http://www.readthehook.com/95057/news-uva-rape-case-student-accepts-lesser-charge
http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpatcity15/top-8-profiles-2015-05-10#jesse

It happened 12 years ago, I believe?

People can change. I don't know him personally, and have no evidence to say if he has or hasn't changed, and what he did was reprehensible, but I find it hard to tell someone that they're not welcome for something they did over a decade ago. I've never raped anyone, but there are definitely things in my past that I'm not proud of, and it would be categorically unfair to judge me today by who I was when I was 18.

red13th

MtG Finance and stuff, yeah I know, but this article is a sad read.

Back on the first day of spoiler MM2 spoilers, someone mocked up a Magmaw and posted it on Reddit. Everyone was all up on arms for a minute, dreading the idea of opening such a horrible card in a $10 pack. Wizards quickly came out and squelched the rumor. The problem is they then proceeded to spoil an entire set of Magmaws.

kirblar

It blew up on twitter last night (one guess who) but it's valid point- he shouldn't be actively featured if at all possible, a la Alex at SCG the second/third time around.

The issue is more that the boxes are going to dip under MSRP, which is the opposite of what happened to MM1. They didn't reprint things like Serum Visions or Blood Moon here, and instead picked shitty limited cards for a limited format no one cares about.

It blew up on twitter last night (one guess who) but it's valid point- he shouldn't be actively featured if at all possible, a la Alex at SCG the second/third time around.

Can't really disagree here. You don't ban him, but there's nothing positive to be gained from putting any attention on him (i.e., you don't put him in a feature match unless he's made it to the finals of the GP).

Firemind

The issue is more that the boxes are going to dip under MSRP, which is the opposite of what happened to MM1. They didn't reprint things like Serum Visions or Blood Moon here, and instead picked shitty limited cards for a limited format no one cares about.
I just checked mtggoldfish for shits and giggles and Serum Visions is already almost $10. Ten freaking dollars.

kirblar

I just checked mtggoldfish for shits and giggles and Serum Visions is already almost $10. Ten freaking dollars.
If it isn't in Origins, not putting it in MM2 is an unbelievably huge screwup.

And if it's a promo, someone should not be in the position they're in.

Yeah, and Patrick Chapin should never be allowed on camera again. What is this shit? Dude was sent to court, convicted, he went to jail and was released when his time was up.

Turning people into outcasts after they served their sentence is one of the most infuriating things to me. His time is up, he shouldn't be treated like a criminal any more.

Alex was a fucking cheater, his crime was against the game. Of course they shouldn't have him around, but that isn't anything like this.

OnPoint

If it isn't in Origins, not putting it in MM2 is an unbelievably huge screwup.

And if it's a promo, someone should not be in the position they're in.

Are they doing anything like Commander this year? Planechase 2015? Maybe it'll be in Zendikar vs Eldrazi? Anything?

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163518553]Yeah, and Patrick Chapin should never be allowed on camera again. What is this shit? Dude was sent to court, convicted, he went to jail and was released when his time was up.

Turning people into outcasts after they served their sentence is one of the most infuriating things to me. His time is up, he shouldn't be treated like a criminal any more.

Alex was a fucking cheater, his crime was against the game. Of course they shouldn't have him around, but that isn't anything like this.[/QUOTE]
Who the fuck cares about non-violent drug stuff? No one.

No one's suggesting to ban him from events. But featuring a guy who bent a girl over a toilet and raped her two different ways is not a good thing for the game. Let's be clear- this is not a vague he said/she said situation.

And rapists don't suddenly stop getting off on perpetrating violent acts against people because they got caught and sent to prison, just like guys like Alex don't stop getting off on the thrill of ripping people off.

Who the fuck cares about non-violent drug stuff? No one.

No one's suggesting to ban him from events. But featuring a guy who bent a girl over a toilet and raped her two different ways is not a good thing for the game.

If it's a business decision to prevent negative reactions, fine. I can't stop them. But I don't have to like it.

And rapists don't suddenly stop getting off on perpetrating violent acts against people because they got caught and sent to prison, just like guys like Alex don't stop getting off on the thrill of ripping people off.

Then why not just give him the death sentence if you're not going to treat him like a free citizen?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

He served his time. It's kind of gross when people who theoretically paid their debts to society are treated like lepers. This is even worse since it has nothing to do with Magic.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163518553]
Turning people into outcasts after they served their sentence is one of the most infuriating things to me. His time is up, he shouldn't be treated like a criminal any more.[/QUOTE]

And yet we have the sex offender online registry. A searchable database of shaming and fearmongering. Likely how this guy was found out, too. I haven't read that article and don't wish to know the guy's name. If a dude sits across from me, he's my opponent in this game. I may know a reputation of his for his behavior in the game, but I try not to let someone's life outside the game influence my esteem of him (or her).

One of the things I love about Magic is its capacity for inclusiveness.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163519615]Then why not just give him the death sentence if you're not going to treat him like a free citizen?[/QUOTE]
I'd straight up do life in prison. I don't think they should be treated like free citizens.

This isn't a sex offendor registry issue, this is a "actively choosing to feature this guy when you don't have to is a very bad idea" thing.

And yet we have the sex offender online registry.
You have no idea how much the sex offender registry infuriates me. But this is starting to go into politics, I don't know if we need to go that deep off-topic.

I'd straight up do life in prison. I don't think they should be treated like free citizens.

Yeah, if I comment on this we're gonna go off the deep end of non-magic-related stuff. I'll just say that I more or less agree with your next statement:
They do suck and are terrible. Either someone's safe to release, or they're not.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163520062]You have no idea how much the sex offender registry infuriates me. But this is starting to go into politics, I don't know if we need to go that deep off-topic.[/QUOTE]
They do suck and are terrible. Either someone's safe to release, or they're not.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

This isn't a sex offendor registry issue, this is a "actively choosing to feature this guy when you don't have to is a very bad idea" thing.

Do you boycott Mark Wahlberg movies?

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163518553]Turning people into outcasts after they served their sentence is one of the most infuriating things to me. His time is up, he shouldn't be treated like a criminal any more.
[/QUOTE]

Pretty much exactly what I was going to post.

Angry Grimace

We're allowed to have contextually different standards for different types of crimes.

I'm not sure how come to the conclusion that beating the ever living shit out of an elderly man for his race is somehow better or worse.

kirblar

As a quick aside before continuing: The act of creating Magic is an ongoing process that we keep refining. Design having to make decisions that will affect development long before development has had any time to think about the issue is a problem that we've spent a lot of time working on. This event was a wake-up call that we had to re-evaluate how we were doing some things—much of which we have, so there's a happy ending long-term.
If Development's getting involved earlier in the process, Return to NPH might be the fall 2017 block instead of the spring one.

Angry Grimace

If you can afford Modern in general, you could have afforded the 20 bucks for a set of Serum Visions and you could afford a set for 40.

Angry Grimace

It's a stupid barrier to entry for new players, and it's the kind that doesn't have positive side effects in the slightest.

There are a ton of barriers to entry in every format - there's no actual reason for this card to be the hill everyone chooses to die on beyond the color of the set symbol. Printing booster sets in which the entirety of the set is worth money is the opposite of how Magic: the Gathering makes money.

There are a ton of barriers to entry in every format - there's no actual reason for this card to be the hill everyone chooses to die on beyond the color of the set symbol. Printing booster sets in which the entirety of the set is worth money is the opposite of how Magic: the Gathering makes money.

This set is being priced as a premium product, but it's not actually a premium product. They've soured the goodwill they had from the first Modern Masters, which is going to cost them in the long run.

I have been looking to move into modern for months now but the longer I wait, the less I can stomach the barrier to entry. I'm exactly the person people bring up in kirblar's argument. The (lack of) management of the basic secondary market for eternal formats will eventually limit modern's growth just like it limits legacy, only smaller in scale.

I still think Modern Masters should have been a vehicle for secondary market control and should have an annual release with staples printed constantly with other interesting reprints included each year. MM should be like background noise in availability and should be a depressing force on prices, not pushing them upwards like how this current strategy seems to work.

Angry Grimace

This set is being priced as a premium product, but it's not actually a premium product. They've soured the goodwill they had from the first Modern Masters, which is going to cost them in the long run.

Again, I don't see the justification for that. The return on investment seems similar to every other product they put out. Its all speculative to say it isn't.

They've soured the goodwill they had from the first Modern Masters

I was bitching about booster prices then, too. I have yet to purchase Modern Masters sealed product.

I just went through the spoiler, and the only MM cards I even own are playsets of Paradise Mantle and Grapeshot that I found in a commons box at a pawn shop, and one of my AEther Vials lol

edit: wait, the Grapeshots are from Time Spiral.

Matriox

It is not supposed to be like every other product they put out.
I guess this was my argument when I was getting pissy with the first spoilers, but got mocked for it. Granted it was a bit jump the gun considering only 2 cards were bulk at the time, it definitely feels way worse now than when I was whining before lol.
I have been looking to move into modern for months now but the longer I wait, the less I can stomach the barrier to entry. I'm exactly the person people bring up in kirblar's argument. The (lack of) management of the basic secondary market for eternal formats will eventually limit modern's growth just like it limits legacy, only smaller in scale.

I still think Modern Masters should have been a vehicle for secondary market control and should have an annual release with staples printed constantly with other interesting reprints included each year. MM should be like background noise in availability and should be a depressing force on prices, not pushing them upwards like how this current strategy seems to work.
I've given up on trying to keep a stable modern set of cards, it seems like bannings are so often and fickle that I don't want to keep those cards in my binders and just sell them. I'll just build a terrible Allies deck with Collected Company and call it a day.

I guess this was my argument when I was getting pissy with the first spoilers, but got mocked for it. Granted it was a bit jump the gun considering only 2 cards were bulk at the time, it definitely feels way worse now than when I was whining before lol.

Yeah, I had a lot of faith that the product would end up having the level of quality we expected, even after the first couple days of spoilers. That faith turned out to be unfounded.

Matriox

The banning really aren't fickle. People just don't keep up with the format.

That's a fair thing to say for me. It sure seems fickle though considering the changes that have happened in the past 2 years. Everyone calls for everything being banned (I've heard infect, twin, blood moon, Tarmogoyf,delver, I could go on.)that as someone who doesn't play modern I'm intimidated by the mere fact that the conversation takes place so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom