• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, Duels Origins is MTGStone. They (wisely) pretty much copied the model exactly.

There are some half-white half-desi people who look pretty white!

The correct answer is "a wizard did it."

Lantern control vs dredge makes my brain hurt. GGs to Bandini.

sarkeezyy6s0f.png

Grudge is really what you want.

The problem is that targeted removal only goes so far against the deck. Lots of spellskites and recursion. And even more post board.

Bandini

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";168987932]Lantern control vs dredge makes my brain hurt. GGs to Bandini.[/QUOTE]

Ensnaring Bridge can stick it, brother. Birds of Paradise and Lingering Souls tokens are my only creatures in the mainboard of that deck with less than 4 power. GGs.

Ugh, why can't we have gotten enemy fetches this block. I want to run Maya Aggro(mostly for Stoke/Howl/etc) but the pain lands are just awful to me. I don't want to pay life everytime I need red.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
VQhapOP.png

here we go
trollface_tiny.jpg

RonPaulIitshappening.jpg

I was finally able to play and open half of my MM2 box. Played with my friends in 4-person draft but I kept all the cards because they weren't paying up for packs. Got a Mox, Kozilek, Twin, Fulminator Mage as the big things so far. Also got a Comet Storm (that's my 2nd total) which means I think my mythics are out of the box.

Yeef

Is wizards going to put latern of inisght in MM2016 at rare slot?
They'll put it in the next multiplayer-centric supplemental set. Whether that's another conspiracy or plancechase or something completely new.

They might also put it into a commander deck.

Jhriad

VQhapOP.png

here we go
trollface_tiny.jpg

The low on the paper version at TCGPlayer is almost $8. The deck looks pretty rad so I tried to pick up a playset but I was only able to pick up 2 due to some "inventory miscount" by a Pucatrade partner. I think he just realized he could get considerably more out of them in the short term if he dumped them elsewhere.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I honestly don't believe for a second WOTC would allow a Prison Deck to flourish in Modern.

Latest Developments article about Standard issues. Notably:

1. They are well aware that red has been typecast as the burn and weenie color, and they acknowledge that part of this is due to them downplaying land destruction and Wheel of Fortune effects. They plan on trying some new things with it; they make a comparison to how 20 years ago, people couldn't have imagined black without Dark Ritual.
2. There have sometimes been talks of going back to shroud, but for now, they plan on just being more diligent with hexproof, including using conditional hexproof.
3. Similar to how hexproof was overused soon after it became evergreen, it's possible that prowess, menace, and scry may be overused in the next few sets.
4. The new block structure makes it more difficult to put in seed and hate cards for the next/previous block, but they have some ideas for how to make it work.

Angry Grimace

My biggest problem with Standard development is that Standard continually pushes the same Control archetype - "draw/go/play unkillable threat."

I just wish they would encourage tempo strategies vs. straight up draw-go control. Playing Esper Dragon Control or whatever control deck is popular right now, does not feel terribly different from playing UW Control from last year. Its the same shit.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My biggest problem with Standard development is that Standard continually pushes the same Control archetype - "draw/go/play unkillable threat."

I just wish they would encourage tempo strategies vs. straight up draw-go control. Playing Esper Dragon Control or whatever control deck is popular right now, does not feel terribly different from playing UW Control from last year. Its the same shit.

We can't have Sphinx's Rev in every block.

kirblar

The draw-go shit is a serious issue. They spent years making that not a thing and just threw it away starting with RTR block.

Look at Zen/Alara Standard control decks- they TAP OUT to do stuff! Amazing!

I honestly don't believe for a second WOTC would allow a Prison Deck to flourish in Modern.

It's not really gonna flourish, it just happens that Affinity is slightly weaker right now and Junk players are swapping to Jund so there aren't a ton of Stony Silences running around. People are leaning too heavily on Kolaghan's Command for their artifact hate and it doesn't really go that far against the Lantern deck.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169038902]Nice thing about the deck is that it's super cheap. Mox Opal isn't even that important and the second most expensive cards are the Spellskites.[/QUOTE]

No, it's not. At least not if you don't already own some of the expensive pieces. The deck list pricing averages are using old price data. If you wanted to put it together yesterday it would have cost over $500. It's not one of the most expensive decks by any means but it's no longer cheap.

WanderingWind

I just don't have a ton of warm fuzzy feelings about Origins so far. I know its early, but I just have a bad feeling about the set.

Yeef

6 seems really expensive for that activated ability.I think it would have been fine at 2U, even in limited. I'm guessing there's a reason they don't want it to see any constructed play (probably just Grindstone scars).

Angry Grimace

Isn't that Medomai?

Jace is on either Vryn or Ravnica in this block.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169046967]It's not really gonna flourish, it just happens that Affinity is slightly weaker right now and Junk players are swapping to Jund so there aren't a ton of Stony Silences running around. People are leaning too heavily on Kolaghan's Command for their artifact hate and it doesn't really go that far against the Lantern deck.[/QUOTE]

This is why I play Jund - the card quality is just stupidly high across the board. Shatterstorm or Ancient Grudge out of the board =V

Yeef

Isn't that Medomai?
I don't think so.

It looks like Jace lost his memory by getting out-mind magic'd, based on the flavor text. It could be interesting if it turns out Ashiok was the one that was responsible for that. Ashiok, Tibalt, Domri and Tamiyo don't really seem to have any role in the overall plot at this point as far as I can tell, so I'm sure they're looking for ways to fix that.

I just don't have a ton of warm fuzzy feelings about Origins so far. I know its early, but I just have a bad feeling about the set.
It's still a core set. You expectations should be based on that. For me, all I really want out of core sets are interesting limited environments and cards that can go into my cubes. M15 had a decent limited environment, M14 was extremely dull and M13 was fantastic. Based on what we've seen so far, which isn't much, Origins seems to be somewhere between M14 and M15.

No, it's not. At least not if you don't already own some of the expensive pieces. The deck list pricing averages are using old price data. If you wanted to put it together yesterday it would have cost over $500. It's not one of the most expensive decks by any means but it's no longer cheap.

Not playing Mox Opals means the deck only costs around 300-350 bucks which is really good for Modern. They're one of the least important cards in the deck.

Bogles is super cheap and it still cost me like 250 to build the deck, even buying damaged cards.

I don't think so.

It looks like Jace lost his memory by getting out-mind magic'd, based on the flavor text. It could be interesting if it turns out Ashiok was the one that was responsible for that. Ashiok, Tibalt, Domri and Tamiyo don't really seem to have any role in the overall plot at this point as far as I can tell, so I'm sure they're looking for ways to fix that.

Now that you've said that, Ashiok is going to be revealed to be Jace's shadow come alive or something, like in A Wizard of Earthsea.

Angry Grimace

Ashiok was literally designed as "Evil Jace." When they started creative on Theros, the original B-plot was Jace fighting Evil Jace (Ashiok).

OnPoint

Ashiok was literally designed as "Evil Jace." When they started creative on Theros, the original B-plot was Jace fighting Evil Jace (Ashiok).

I wouldn't mind it if they were adversaries. The Jace/Tezz rivalry seems to have been put on the back burner and I'd love to see someone slap the stoic off Jace's face at least once, even if it was in the past.

Angry Grimace

You know what I just realized? Tarmogoyf is expensive, yo.

Its disproportionately expensive, in fact. Its played in 2 decks, one of which is Tier 1. At least Dark Confidant is only $40 (or even less).

Angry Grimace

+ a ton of Legacy decks. Confidant's fallen hugely out of favor in both formats, tho it still sees play.

I always forget Legacy because the number of people who actually play it is so minuscule vs. Modern.

That said, Confidant is back in vogue in Jund! Confidant is my favorite card in that deck, really. You'd be surprised how many people just let you have a Confidant because they're dumb and think you'll die to it even though its a Constructed deck and you almost assuredly stacked your deck to not die to Dark Confidant.

I'm still not convinced Liliana of the Veil isn't gonna see a reprint somewhere (that isn't MM2017). The fact that they had her in M15 so long suggests they don't think she's that broken (LOTV is fucking OP as fuck).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The draw-go shit is a serious issue. They spent years making that not a thing and just threw it away starting with RTR block.

Look at Zen/Alara Standard control decks- they TAP OUT to do stuff! Amazing!

RtR Draw-Go Control I'm familiar with, but what's enabling that style of play in the current Standard?

WanderingWind

I know. I've been eyeing Zoo for a while and I knew CoCo was going to do big things in modern, so I snap bought those. But I totally didn't make the connection until that article. I'm going to main the shit out of it. I may buy like, a Goyf a quarter.

Angry Grimace

I know. I've been eyeing Zoo for a while and I knew CoCo was going to do big things in modern, so I snap bought those. But I totally didn't make the connection until that article. I'm going to main the shit out of it. I may buy like, a Goyf a quarter.

Yup, I'm getting the Confidants now for Jund while they're (relatively cheap), and now just accumulating Goyf very, very slowly. :lol Its gonna take time to build that up.

I'll have a complete Modern deck in 2019. I'm literally Scalding Tarns away from having Twin ready to go. :lol

The thing that will really bother you is realizing that you could afford any deck in Modern if you had invested ~300 bucks into speccing on Snapcaster Mage 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom