• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Up to 8. Not a land issue, just getting shitty draws. This game sucks sometimes.

OnPoint

Anybody who doesn't already have a playset of CoCo had better buy in now. It's going to be one of those cards in a couple of years where you'll be like, "Man, I wish I had bought them when they were 17 bucks."
We really think 17 is the floor in a set this widely opened?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
We really think 17 is the floor in a set this widely opened?

It's become a staple in modern already. I can't say for certain what the floor is, but I can say for certain that it's going to be expensive as hell one day. Besides, I was misremembering the price. It's around 13 now. Up from 4.

Jhriad

It's become a staple in modern already. I can't say for certain what the floor is, but I can say for certain that it's going to be expensive as hell one day. Besides, I was misremembering the price. It's around 13 now. Up from 4.

I'm pretty skeptical that we need to buy in right now. It's a rare in a set that will be opened a ton. Part of that price is including the demand created when it started seeing play in Standard. With all the value in DTK it can't really climb too high until more of the set has fallen off and the spread currently isn't indicating to me that it's something I should be buying into immediately. When the spread gets a little tighter I'll jump in but I'm not in any rush atm.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm pretty skeptical that we need to buy in right now. It's a rare in a set that will be opened a ton. Part of that price is including the demand created when it started seeing play in Standard. With all the value in DTK it can't really climb too high until more of the set has fallen off and the spread currently isn't indicating to me that it's something I should be buying into immediately. When the spread gets a little tighter I'll jump in but I'm not in any rush atm.

Its not going to be opened a ton.

It has no rare lands, there are 2 cards that are worth anything other than this one (both of which are Mythic and unplayable in Modern), the set drafting was interrupted by MM2015, and its basically over - Origins comes out in like 3 weeks.

Jhriad

DTK isn't opened as much as you'd think - the lack of lands makes the set's values play out like AVR's.

If you look at AVR you'll notice that practically all the value in the set experienced low growth with a good portion of that growth coming in a bump that came a few months after rotation. The only card that has seen explosive growth would be Cavern and that's a recent occurrence after a long period of stable prices.

Its not going to be opened a ton.

It has no rare lands, there are 2 cards that are worth anything other than this one (both of which are Mythic and unplayable in Modern), the set drafting was interrupted by MM2015, and its basically over - Origins comes out in like 3 weeks.

It's Dragons. The casual crowd will open the shit out of it (and have been) for that reason alone. It's a set opened during the peak of Magic's popularity with a theme that people love. It'll be opened more than enough to keep prices from spiking too crazily for a while.

FeD.nL

If you look at AVR you'll notice that practically all the value in the set experienced low growth with a good portion of that growth coming in a bump that came a few months after rotation. The only card that has seen explosive growth would be Cavern and that's a recent occurrence after a long period of stable prices.

It's Dragons. The casual crowd will open the shit out of it (and have been) for that reason alone. It's a set opened during the peak of Magic's popularity with a theme that people love. It'll be opened more than enough to keep prices from spiking too crazily for a while.

Guilty of this. Bought more DTK than I probably should have as a beginner.

Went to my store today to see if I could try and trade some stuff for a Thoughtseize or 2. Left with a complete playset of all the Urza lands, playset expedition map, 3 remands and a Ugin. Off to build a U-tron deck..

Angry Grimace

The casual crowd likes Angels too.

Jhriad

The casual crowd likes Angels too.

Which is why AVR is a pretty apt comparison and the majority of those prices were relatively stable. If you're planning on playing a CoCo deck then go ahead and buy in since it probably won't fall below $12. If you're just buying a playset because you think you might want to use them sometime in the future you're probably safe waiting and trading into a playset over time rather than dropping money now. It's not going to go crazy without some major Standard results. I'm not saying it's going down, I'm saying it's not going to go up so fast that you should be leaping to buy in asap. Just watch the spread and buy in when the buylists start to close the gap.

Burn seems almost unwinnable and Jund and Tron have a pretty solid matchup, but other than that Lantern Control seems kind of absurd against everything else I've been able to throw at it so far. Storm is probably even worse than burn, though.

Certainly the most consistent raw control deck I've personally played in Modern. I don't know if I'd recommend it for a wider meta at a large tournament and I still need more testing against serious opponents, but so far the deck is constantly performing above my expectations.

I'm certainly not winning against the same decks this easily with Grixis Twin and Amulet Bloom, anyway. I don't think I've ever played a magic deck that won so casually.

kirblar

Rosewater's response to the Jim Davis piece uses an analogy that I don't really think works on a lot of levels, but he does seem pretty firmly opposed to the attitude expressed
Women make up 38% of Magic players yet this isn’t remotely reflected in in store play. Why? What factors are causing this to be so? And if it’s going to change, it requires those of us in the majority to stand up and say, “You know what? This isn’t right. We need to change this.”
.... man I'm gonna write this thing and sit on it forever because I need to get it out of my system. (I'm in agreement virtually everywhere else.)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
.... man I'm gonna write this thing and sit on it forever because I need to get it out of my system. (I'm in agreement virtually everywhere else.)

I suspect I'm going to agree with you. Its probably a reflection of my disinterest in the competitive scene personally combined with my feelings about game stores, but I feel like while its absolutely a good goal to make women players both more visible and more comfortable, that probably isn't going to either be the result of or bring about higher attendance at stores or competitive events. Rather, finding ways to spotlight Magic play outside of those contexts is something they should be (and somewhat are) exploring

Well, okay, that's not quite accurate: I suspect that tournament and store attendance will begin to adjust in ratio over the next five to ten years. I just wouldn't be using that as my "measuring stick" for success.

Angry Grimace

Time to put the game down and go for a walk!
It didn't put me on tilt really. It was mostly just bad luck and weird rogue decks on MTGO. Like Soul Sisters is usually a good matchup because they basically lose to Olivia, but I never saw it. Shit happens, but I'm playing Jund without a ton of modifications so it's not like the deck quality was bad.

kirblar

I suspect I'm going to agree with you. Its probably a reflection of my disinterest in the competitive scene personally combined with my feelings about game stores, but I feel like while its absolutely a good goal to make women players both more visible and more comfortable, that probably isn't going to either be the result of or bring about higher attendance at stores or competitive events. Rather, finding ways to spotlight Magic play outside of those contexts is something they should be (and somewhat are) exploring
This is exactly where I'm at.

The issue with play at stores is that two types of tournaments directly make the story money: Constructed (via singles sales and entry fees) and Limited (via pack sales.) Despite what Rosewater might think, Draft is an inherently competitive format. They have a vested interest in pushing players towards the most profitable ways to play that makes money for stores. But I don't think it's doable - you're never going to get the representation you want that way to reflect the non-competitive scene numbers. Spotlighting non-competitive play and things like cosplay in other formats other than the PT is the way to go.

Angry Grimace

100% of the girls that show up for FNM at my store are girlfriends of dudes who also play.

Well, okay, that's not quite accurate: I suspect that tournament and store attendance will begin to adjust in ratio over the next five to ten years. I just wouldn't be using that as my "measuring stick" for success.

I think expecting complete parity between casual play and competitive play is a fool's errand but also that the competitive ratio is artificially skewed right now. For a variety of reasons women will probably be under-represented competitively forever, but it should be more like what we see in some other competitive gaming scenes, where you look at events and see 10-15% female players. At a current Magic Pro Tour that representation is literally fractions of one percent and that is a fucked-up situation that reflects poorly on the community.

100% of the girls that show up for FNM at my store are girlfriends of dudes who also play.

This has way more to do with gender dating dynamics than anything else, though. There are relatively fewer women with dedicated geeky hobbies than men, so they're both less likely to be single and when they're dating someone it's more likely to be someone else with overlapping nerdy interests. Like: I've had a couple D&D groups where this was true (not every guy's SO played in the game, but every girl's SO did) but when you drilled down on it half of those girls had been the ones who got the boyfriend into the game in the first place.

What games have 10-15%?

Maybe 10-15% is high. a survey of SC2 and LoL had around 5% female representation, and it seems like pro poker is similar. Of course it's hard to make an apples-to-apples comparison here without clearly defining the boundaries of "competitive play" -- like, Magic has pretty awful representation not just at the PT level but in GPs, and even smaller constructed tournaments, but it's hard to get a number for something like "percentage of female LoL ladder players above a certain level" to put up next to it.

Yeef

635704037685003480.png

I like that it's "as CARDNAME enters the battlefield", so you can't just destroy it with the spell it names, but it still doesn't seem that good.

Matriox

I don't think it's a sendoff. They just haven't announced the replacement yet.

I don't quite understand what you mean, are they incorporating the Core Set mentality to a set outside of standard from now on? I don't see how they can wedge a core set in with the new rotation they're doing outside of a standalone set to rotate out with it.

ironmang

Got 3rd-4th today in a 33 person modern PPTQ with Affinity. Only my 3rd event with it after a couple small FNMs and I'm really loving it after getting destroyed trying to win with Scapeshift for so long. Definitely made some mistakes and suboptimal plays but it's nice knowing the deck doesn't lose to itself a high percent of the time and my input always matters. Even though much of the deck is 1/1 and 0/2 trash and susceptible to all kinds of hate, it's crazy the amount of bad situations this deck can work itself out of. Happy to have borrowed and make a real attempt at learning how to play it.

EDIT: Holy shit large image.

Seems good in limited--she's a 4/4 flyer for 5 if nothing else.
It kind of feels like we're getting Khans all over again, with the uncommon multicolors and now a +1/+1 counter theme.

Also, with Zendikar Incarnate, I think it's safe to assume that we'll get an uncommon multicolor card for each plane, though not necessarily an incarnate. The fact that a multicolor card starting with Z is still numbered so far from the end also seems to indicate that we're getting a lot of artifacts.

Guesses for color pairs for each plane:

WU - Ravnica
WB - Dominaria (only one left for black)
RW - Theros
GW - Bant
UB - Innistrad
UR - Kaladesh
GU - Vryn (only one left for blue)
BR - Regatha (only one left for red)
BG - Lorwyn (elves in that set were BG)
RG - Zendikar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom