• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allow me to present Burnt Offering(ver. 0.1):

sarkeezyu7u2t.png

So I've had a new interaction bouncing in my head for the past month or two:

imageb8s67.png
imagewrseh.jpg

Using the collection of easy ways to get cards in the graveyard in Legacy, you can get a 9 CMC delve creature down incredibly early. When I discovered this interaction, I posted it here as a way to exactly cheat out Dragonstorm in EDH but I always wanted a way to use it to create a new deck type in Legacy. I'm still keeping that combo in mind, but it runs into a lot of consistency issues. Instead, I decided to create a burn deck based around Fireballs. Using Legacy Storm decks as a rough deckbuilding guide, I tried to make a two-pronged deck. It wins with a combination of big creatures that don't die to abrupt decay or lightning bolt, while supporting them with uncounterable burn powered by Offering and hand disruption to slow the game down.

There's still a lot of funkiness and awkwardness to the deck and I expect it'll take up some massive changes as I keep messing with it(probably a lot more burn and somewhat less mana ramp from my initial testing, and Urza's Rage vs Banefire is something I go back and forth on), but I thought it'd be cool to post up something brand new I've been working on. It's already stolen a couple games here and there, and if nothing else it's a bunch of laughs to play. And that's what I'm going for.

it still seems really weird to me that there are a couple of complete colour hosers that slipped into modern

although from what i understand none of them are that relevant?

Matriox

Translation per reddit:

Relic Hunter(?)

1W Creature - Human Soldier

Fame 1(?) (whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, if there are no fame on this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on it became famous)

Whenever Relic Hunter(?) are famous you may search your library for an Equipment card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

why is this a core set in everything but name? Is origins going to be annualised too?

This actually is more or less the last core set before they swallow it's slot in the release schedule with an extra normal set. They just called it Origins to make it 'special' since it's the last one.

bigkrev

why is this a core set in everything but name? Is origins going to be annualised too?

This is the last Core Set. They are switching to 4 expansions a year. They decided to call it Magic Origins instead of Magic 2016 because they thought it would be cool, nothing more.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
They can definitely be relevant. The last GP I watched had Choke, Boil, Slay, and Hibernation all see play.

I bought 2 Chokes at 50 cents last year when building Restore Balance and after seeing them at a couple of GPs I see they have spiked up to 8-9 bucks for very little reason. I'm just gonna assume boil will soon too.

bigkrev

There's a lot of inarguably bad art- that seems fine tho.

Yeah, i'm getting shades of 7th Edition here, where they replaced all the art with the most basic, boring, generic art that they never used again.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169389844]Languish is insane. Great against Thunderbreak + Rabblemaster decks, fleecemane lion decks, valorous stance decks.[/QUOTE]

AND it misses Siege Rhino and Tasigur!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Languish. I guess they made a control card that describes their attitude towards designing control decks for the last few years.

I guess we're in the for the long haul of boring draw-go.

red13th

A whopping one spoiler today that interests me, Relic Hunter. Maybe Languish, while they don't reprint Damnation. Come on WotC.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Languish. I guess they made a control card that describes their attitude towards designing control decks for the last few years.

At least it's a sorcery? So they have to sort of tap out.

Seems like an extremely annoying card though. Devotion decks are boned, Aggro decks are boned, everything is boned.

ultron87

Interesting that other cards care about whether a card has activated its Renown ability or not.

en_7oPnN30YgD.png
en_3RMJbKSWgf.png

Kind of an odd thing to put since that reads like total nonsense if you haven't seen a card with Renown yet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
At least it's a sorcery? So they have to sort of tap out.

Seems like an extremely annoying card though. Devotion decks are boned, Aggro decks are boned, everything is boned.

Literally the only thing you can do is cast Siege Rhino on turn 4. Everything else you can relevantly do dies to Languish.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Interesting that other cards care about whether a card has activated its Renown ability or not.

en_7oPnN30YgD.png
en_3RMJbKSWgf.png

Kind of an odd thing to put since that reads like total nonsense if you haven't seen a card with Renown yet.

I like that they're exploring that Monstrous design space but yeah little weird

AND it misses Siege Rhino and Tasigur!
Decks that want this card can kill a Siege Rhino. But they wont get rode down by a turn three thunderbreak or a monstrous fleecemane so easily now.

It also(kinda) comes in under Whisperwood Elemental which is huge.

This card is the best in the set so far.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Uh. Languish seems pretty damn annoying in this field. They really, really wanted us to play with their dragons this set. UB control is gonna be stupid.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Goodbye devotion / ramp decks... unless you get a Polukranos out fast (just kidding, countered for 2 mana... or murderous cut... or or or)

Uh. Languish seems pretty damn annoying in this field. They really, really wanted us to play with their dragons this set. UB control is gonna be stupid.

Prognistic Sphinx
Silumgar, the Drifting Death
Dragonlord Silumgar
Tasigur, the Golden Fang
Pearl Lake Ancient

Between Languish and Clash of Wills, there's a lot less reason to splash Ojutai in control.

Oh snap, y'all were right about the color pairs! One pair per plane.

Also, if anyone's wondering why the set feels a little underbaked, it's the same reason it always is: they threw out a design halfway through and had to power through to the finish line in a really short window. (Now, I don't particularly think the set's bad so far, other than the awkward CGI art. But if you're wondering.)

Lol, why did they engineer the 4/5 creature tier to be particularly good

As long as I can remember, cheap 3/4s or 4/5s have been great in Standard based purely on whether the best underpowered removal spell did 3 or 4 damage.

Because... they printed a sorcery-speed sweeper?

Angry Grimace

Don't worry, it would always be worse.

Thoughtseize is rotating out.

Because... they printed a sorcery-speed sweeper?
Draw-go is already a Tier 1 deck, this makes it even better because Crux was 1 mana more - not sure what's confusing or even controversial about that. The condition on this isn't even as relevant as one might imagine.

bigkrev

New checklist card

en_m4kFPG3gOx.png

Also, is this part about needing all cards to be checklists new? I remember in DKA-INN draft often not getting enough DKA checklists, and sometimes having a few cards just in the deck instead of checklisted

Only official checklist cards may be used to stand-in for double-faced cards in a deck. If you use a checklist card to represent any of the double-faced cards in your deck, you must use checklist cards to represent all of them.

Angry Grimace

New checklist card

en_m4kFPG3gOx.png

Also, is this part about needing all cards to be checklists new? I remember in DKA-INN draft often not getting enough DKA checklists, and sometimes having a few cards just in the deck instead of checklisted

They always come with checklists now, they have a better sorting system with the machine-readable cards.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
New checklist card

en_m4kFPG3gOx.png

Uh yeah I think that's new, they were optional if you had sleeves before

Also confirmation on that Nissa

en_mMsHWcl36u.png
en_lFs3zjinY7.png

Angry Grimace

Uh yeah I think that's new, they were optional if you had sleeves before

They're still optional. They're saying you need a checkcard IF you use a stand-in (meaning you can use the original with opaque sleeves). You just can't use a mix of check and real cards.

kirblar

Players won't invest in a second rotating format, it's why Modern is a success relative to every other attempt.

4-block Standard is the change that could potentially happen if 3-block is too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom