• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.ZZZ

635704037685003480.png

Why is this effect blue wat.

Law effects feel much more white than blue. But w/e

The templating on that card is so bad. It "feels" like it should let you name a card for each player. You don't - you only get to name a single card. It's complete garbage in all formats.

The templating on that card is so bad. It "feels" like it should let you name a card for each player. You don't - you only get to name a single card. It's complete garbage in all formats.

Damn, you're totally right. That tricked me until you pointed it out. Major blunder by either R&D, the templating team, or both.

Seems like a development thing. I wonder how much it got touched by outside playtesters, because if I had that card and people kept wanting to choose a card for each player, I'd change the card to match player expectation. I've run into similar problems playtesting my own set, and I know that's the exact reason they substituted hexproof for shroud.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
So what site is best for buying singles? I'm gonna need a ton of inexpensive cards for a few commander decks.

bigkrev

2 Merfolk decks (and pretty different builds!) in the T8 at the GP

I've been wondering why the Lorwyn merfolk have been stagnant in price for a long time- they are Legacy playable, and have not been reprinted. Guess we will see them spike this weekend.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
2 Merfolk decks (and pretty different builds!) in the T8 at the GP

I've been wondering why the Lorwyn merfolk have been stagnant in price for a long time- they are Legacy playable, and have not been reprinted. Guess we will see them spike this weekend.

Oh please. I have the deck and it's collecting dust. I'd love to sell it off.

So what site is best for buying singles? I'm gonna need a ton of inexpensive cards for a few commander decks.

For tons of cheap cards I like cardkingdom since it's fast and it'll all come in at once. If you want harder to find singles or more expensive ones TCGplayer or ebay are generally the best.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What the hell is up with the restrictions on red burn in this set? Especially since Development just got finished admitting that part of Red's problem is that its removal is straight up worse than Black's 90% of the time

What the hell is up with the restrictions on red burn in this set? Especially since Development just got finished admitting that part of Red's problem is that its removal is straight up worse than Black's 90% of the time

I don't think they see red removal being weaker than black's as a problem. It seems that their intention is instead to make red better at stuff other than burn.

MjFrancis

We get a Shock that turns into a Lightning Bolt in the later rounds? I'm happy with that scale. They've played around a lot with making a card better than Shock but not as format-warping as Lightning Bolt and I'm quite happy with there this one sits.

It shares the same dilemma with Counterspell, too powerful at UU but too weak at 1UU.

f0rk

We get a Shock that turns into a Lightning Bolt in the later rounds? I'm happy with that scale. They've played around a lot with making a card better than Shock but not as format-warping as Lightning Bolt and I'm quite happy with there this one sits.

It shares the same dilemma with Counterspell, too powerful at UU but too weak at 1UU.

Shock can go to the face.

kirblar

Probably started out going to the face but then someone was like "maybe we shouldn't give burn decks four more Bolts".
Modern has clearly become a developmental concern. There's things like "we can try it and ban it if necessary (dig, Cruise)- but the more pernicious issue is giving burn/infect/etc decks more linear options.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My eyes continue to glaze over with each new spoiler from this set. I want a Lili for the art and nothing else at all so far. It's Theros all over again. If it wasn't for Khans being fuckawesome, I would think my MtG desire was on the wane.

I feel bad because I want to root for this guy playing 4CDC but he's one of the sloppiest players I've seen in a top 8 at a GP. Missing his land drops with the lands in hand when it's relevant, forgetting his triggers, messing up combat math. He's winning, but it's because the deck is strong more than he is skilled.

I don't like to complain about other people generally, but he's not making the game look great right now.

Wichu

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169315467]I feel bad because I want to root for this guy playing 4CDC but he's one of the sloppiest players I've seen in a top 8 at a GP. Missing his land drops with the lands in hand when it's relevant, forgetting his triggers, messing up combat math. He's winning, but it's because the deck is strong more than he is skilled.

I don't like to complain about other people generally, but he's not making the game look great right now.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like me. I accidentally missed a T3 land drop at Game Day :/

Also, as a Sultai player, I'm slightly regretting trading my foil Atarka now. Oh well.

Has anyone else tried playing Clever Impersonator in Standard? I've found it to be really fun and suprisingly powerful. It can do a lot of cool things.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169315467]I feel bad because I want to root for this guy playing 4CDC but he's one of the sloppiest players I've seen in a top 8 at a GP. Missing his land drops with the lands in hand when it's relevant, forgetting his triggers, messing up combat math. He's winning, but it's because the deck is strong more than he is skilled.

I don't like to complain about other people generally, but he's not making the game look great right now.[/QUOTE]
Was wondering if this was a Speck-esque situatoin.

Then I saw the decklist and understood how it could just let you poop on people.

Was wondering if this was a Speck-esque situatoin.

Then I saw the decklist and understood how it could just let you poop on people.

Any awkwardness aside with the way the deck can play out, Whip is still the greatest stabilizing force in Standard. You come back from 2 or 3 life to an unbeatable position all the time with that card. Whipping Atarka by itself clears out half your opponent's board while buying you several turns just from the lifegain. It's insane.

Still can't ever win against Devotion, though.

Also, with Zendikar Incarnate, I think it's safe to assume that we'll get an uncommon multicolor card for each plane, though not necessarily an incarnate.

Trying to fit ten uncommons into both the cycle of limited-supporting gold cards and a tight creative cycle based around the planes seems... overly ambitious.

...did Pedro just cut all his deathtouch creatures against RG Devotion?

edit: I actually think Pedro played his last game better than the commentators were giving him credit for, they weren't paying enough attention to his hand. I believe his last card was murderous cut which stabilizes against Atarka. Not minusing Ugin is certainly a risk due to Plummet, but if you don't take it what's your plan to win? You get to ultimate Ugin next turn which gives your opponent a one-turn clock basically. He was setting up the Silumgar to take Ugin for the last 4 or 5 turns and took the risk that gave him the best chance to win the game. I don't think Pedro played well at all in previous games, but I'm satisfied with his performance in the final one.

Jhriad

Trying to fit ten uncommons into both the cycle of limited-supporting gold cards and a tight creative cycle based around the planes seems... overly ambitious.

It could just be the home planes. Zendikar for Nissa, Vryn for Jace, etc.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169315467]I don't like to complain about other people generally, but he's not making the game look great right now.[/QUOTE]

The people that most need to be impressed by the game probably wouldn't see a lot of poor play to begin with.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's nothing so far that leads me to believe Zendikarnate is part of a cycle. (The card is extremely playable in a limited deck that can cast it since its always on curve - the issue is that a lot of ramp right now is dudes, not land. The amount of "lands" matter stuff in these colors (including Atarka's Command) does lead me to believe they are (unfortuantely) going to bring back Landfall.

There's nothing so far that leads me to believe Zendikarnate is part of a cycle.
The name is what gets me. (Plane) Incarnate is such an obvious way to name a cycle. Just like the Souls of (Plane) in M15.

I do agree that mechanically it isn't doing anything that seems like it would have clear analogs in the other pairs.

The Technomancer

There's nothing so far that leads me to believe Zendikarnate is part of a cycle. (The card is extremely playable in a limited deck that can cast it since its always on curve - the issue is that a lot of ramp right now is dudes, not land. The amount of "lands" matter stuff in these colors (including Atarka's Command) does lead me to believe they are (unfortuantely) going to bring back Landfall.

When is the last time they did an uncommon gold card (outside of a gold block) that wasn't part of a cycle though?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169317322]

Still can't ever win against Devotion, though.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169245077]Can people stop playing GR Devotion please?

please :-([/QUOTE]

DAMN YOU SKY MASON >:|

I mean it's clearly part of a ten-pair cycle of uncommon gold cards for limited, but I don't expect any unifying creative or mechanical similarity for them.

EDIT: BOOM

Well, that does match up to what little we've seen of Regatha. The card itself is fine for Limited. I like how it's just a cute little bulldog.

The Technomancer

I mean it's clearly part of a ten-pair cycle of uncommon gold cards for limited, but I don't expect any unifying creative or mechanical similarity for them.

EDIT: BOOM

Oh gotcha. Well I do bet that they are each based on one of the plans, I just guess its not going to be very tight mechanically or thematically

The Technomancer

WHY IS THE ART IN THIS SET SO DISJOINTED?

Zendikar Incarnate and Blazing Hellhound are gorgeous, and then we have shit like I'll Hammer It.

There's a story here that we'll get in 5 years, if ever

I mean, its pretty clear they're re-using cheap promotional artwork in various cases, the question is why. I highly doubt its a budgetary thing.

Yeef

WHY IS THE ART IN THIS SET SO DISJOINTED?

Zendikar Incarnate and Blazing Hellhound are gorgeous, and then we have shit like I'll Hammer It.
I'm guessing a lot of the cappy art is pulled from (or designed to match) cutscenes in the video game and the CG in the games are usually pretty bad.

I can't tell if this means that Modern is healthy or unhealthy: the mono-blue Merfolk deck that took down the European GP played three Wanderwine Hub to have maindeck outs to Choke (in addition to an Oboro and Minamo). It seems moderately crazy to me that the format is at that point.

I'm guessing a lot of the cappy art is pulled from (or designed to match) cutscenes in the video game and the CG in the games are usually pretty bad.

You're almost certainly right, which is really upsetting.

The Technomancer

I can't tell if this means that Modern is healthy or unhealthy: the mono-blue Merfolk deck that took down the European GP played three Wanderwine Hub to have maindeck outs to Choke (in addition to an Oboro and Minamo). It seems moderately crazy to me that the format is at that point.
That's amazing

kirblar

Choke has historically been not-great because people run so many nonbasics. I suspect the KTK/Onslaught fetches changed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom