• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draw-go is already a Tier 1 deck, this makes it even better because Crux was 1 mana more - not sure what's confusing or even controversial about that. The condition on this isn't even as relevant as one might imagine.

Post-coreset Summer Standard is the garbage time of Magic formats, moreso this time when they're doing this wackyshack set reorganization. The question isn't really whether this will slot into the existing control deck, it's what tools will be available after Theros block disappears in a few months.

4-block Standard is the change that could potentially happen if 3-block is too fast.

It's odd since that's not actually any more sets than there used to be in Standard, but it feels to me like four small blocks would be a lot.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Post-coreset Summer Standard is the garbage time of Magic formats, moreso this time when they're doing this wackyshack set reorganization. The question isn't really whether this will slot into the existing control deck, it's what tools will be available after Theros block disappears in a few months.

It's odd since that's not actually any more sets than there used to be in Standard, but it feels to me like four small blocks would be a lot.

The biggest one of those being Thoughtseize....which makes control decks even better. I would be very surprised if there isn't a replacement for Hero's Downfall.

en_7oPnN30YgD.png

I notice that there's new reminder text for trample. I actually like it a lot.

Renown is pretty interesting. I'm kind of surprised that Enshrouding Mist doesn't say "if it's renowned or legendary".

Jhriad

Why is the art in Origins so terrible?

NSOxjIU.png

This shit is garbage.

Uhh... This seems pretty aggressively costed for the effect. On the positive side of things there are a lot of Zombies with 5 or greater toughness so maybe I actually will be able to play a janky Zombie deck. Seriously though that card is fucking stupid. Oh joy, big dumb creatures and draw-go control decks. Sounds like a cool format, WOTC.

Hey, boys and girls, do you like Siege Rhinos? Because you're about to get Thragtusk sick of 'em.

I imagine we'll be just as sick of Gurmag Angler and Tasigur.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Uhh... This seems pretty aggressively costed for the effect. On the positive side of things there are a lot of Zombies with 5 or greater toughness so maybe I actually will be able to play a janky Zombie deck. Seriously though that card is fucking stupid. Oh joy, big dumb creatures and draw-go control decks. Sounds like a cool format, WOTC.

lol read the top line of the quoted post and the bottom line together

kirblar

It's a splashable Mutilate. It's clearly aimed at Ojutai and Whisperwood along with all the green mana dorks and/or Coursers.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Lol the card itself is fine. I'm just not a fan of the art in the slightest. Can imagine the card will see at least one or two variant art versions though so its pretty whatever.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It's a splashable Mutilate. It's clearly aimed at Ojutai and Whisperwood along with all the green mana dorks and/or Coursers.

As a huge fan of all things green and that I just built the TCG Naya Dragons deck... this makes me truly sad. I guess the fact that GR has been winning a large amount of standard events recently makes it necessary.

Angry Grimace

The original art for Mutilate is just

0Xs1Pbh.jpg

My attitude on preorders for ORI is that I will not get in on basically anything until we see if there's a land-cycle in this set.

duxstar

As an old g/w aggro player that always hopes it becomes a thing again languish makes me sad. Control is already pretty good right now, so why don't we kill the 4 things that are the best at fighting against it to make it God tier (Fleeceman lion, Whisperwood, Nissa, Rakshasha). They better be giving me a thrun or voice of resurgence reprint to deal with this =(

Also can we discuss how bad the Nissa planeswalker is, like wtf were they thinking? In what world is 7 mana the flip condition, I could see like 4 being an ok number, or 5, but 7?

New art for cards we know:
en_l8kykHdhW7.png
en_E4hDMTCNLS.png
en_uSnVvgHvyN.png

Odd that they went with new art for Disperse, when one of the worlds covered is Lorwyn. But perhaps Gryffid's story simply ended, or hasn't begun yet.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

ultron87

I wonder if we'll get Rampant Growth back in again. It's been awhile with relying on Caryatid for our two mana ramp option for so long. It looks like there's no Elvish Mystic either so some sort of dependable ramp makes sense.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169410668]What makes you say that?[/QUOTE]
MaRo all but confirmed it on his blog. With the power creep permanents have had, I totally get why it's gone - you need to print much better cheap removal in 1-drop mana dork world.

duxstar

Also no Turn-1 Mana Dork and Rattleclaw as the only turn 2 Mana Dork? Seems rough for Green moving forward.

Shaman of forgotten ways is pretty cool for getting dragons/big guys out, who knows maybe the format slows down enough to use him, problem is that he dies too frequently leaving you far away from what you want to cast lol.

I guess the fact that GR has been winning a large amount of standard events recently makes it necessary.
Yes, let's nerf G/R... because god forbid there be a deck that dares to challenge U/B control.

Atarka Sligh can still thrive, methinks. In fact, I think we're gonna see less ramp/fatty G/R and instead see way more R/GDW. I know my deck murders control because of how fast it has. You get an Elvish Mystic and Atarka's Command in your opening hand and you can really steamroll the draw-go players.

Losing Mystic is gonna hurt though, that 1-drop mana dork is pretty goddamned instrumental in getting the deck's momentum going.

In other news, Wingmate Roc is going for a pretty good rate nowadays. Think I'm gonna sell them to get a playset of Shaman of Forgotten Ways. I think that card is going to blow up pretty soon.

pelicansurf

I don't know what is going to replace the 1 drop for these green decks, but shaman of forgotten ways will definitely replace courser of kruphix as the 3 drop.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169421711]...I don't think GR is the deck challenging control.[/QUOTE]
Mine does. :3

But yes, you caught me. I somehow forgot Dang's deck only splashed green for Command.

pelicansurf

RG remains pretty unaffected by Languish with the exception that it hurts them a turn earlier. At that point, the opponent also has no creatures and is tapped out. A perfect time to play that Avaricious Dragon.

Angry Grimace

It is also out by the name and number crunch. Elemental Bond is 174 and Elvish Visionary is at 175.

It makes no difference if its in this set or not because we're going to a plane that has Elves anyways.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169423664]Whoa now. GR and RG are wildly different decks.[/QUOTE]
Yes yes yes, I brainfarted, hush grandpa. :3

On a different subject, I'm really surprised by my Temur midrange's success against dragon control. I guess it makes sense since there are controllish aspects, but I really didn't predict a good matchup for it.

RG remains pretty unaffected by Languish with the exception that it hurts them a turn earlier. At that point, the opponent also has no creatures and is tapped out. A perfect time to play that Avaricious Dragon.

That 1 turn earlier is the difference between pressuring the control player and the deck being unviable. See: supreme verdict's warping effect on the format and pushing all but the most extreme aggro out of the format. Thank god this one is at least counterable.

That said, I'm looking to move out of green ramp strategies post-origins. Languish is gonna catch devotion strategies at a seriously bad turn on the draw and could be devastating for all but the whisperwood draws on the play. I may be moving to a superfriends or control strategy. A lot of decks need to have a post 4-butts strategy built into their decks, whether that's reloading with coco or a punishing 5 drop with their fifth land.

Joe Molotov

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169392872]Prognistic Sphinx
Silumgar, the Drifting Death
Dragonlord Silumgar
Tasigur, the Golden Fang
Pearl Lake Ancient

Between Languish and Clash of Wills, there's a lot less reason to splash Ojutai in control.[/QUOTE]

What about Ukud Cobra? Is it his time to shine? :(

Angry Grimace

That 1 turn earlier is the difference between pressuring the control player and the deck being unviable. See: supreme verdict's warping effect on the format and pushing all but the most extreme aggro out of the format. Thank god this one is at least counterable.

That said, I'm looking to move out of green ramp strategies post-origins. Languish is gonna catch devotion strategies at a seriously bad turn on the draw and could be devastating for all but the whisperwood draws on the play. I may be moving to a superfriends or control strategy. A lot of decks need to have a post 4-butts strategy built into their decks, whether that's reloading with coco or a punishing 5 drop with their fifth land.

Drown in Sorrow was already very good against aggro. This is just the coronation of our new draw-go overlords.

pelicansurf

I guess Mardu Dragons / Control also gets really good now too.

Maybe create a Boon Satyr-y flash creature that gives all creature +1/+1 until end of turn or something for 2-3 mana.

Angry Grimace

I guess Mardu Dragons / Control also gets really good now too.

Maybe create a Boon Satyr-y flash creature that gives all creature +1/+1 until end of turn or something for 2-3 mana.

How would it get any better? Languish kills everything in Mardu Dragons.

Angry Grimace

When control decks exist nowadays, they're playing much more of a draw-go style than they were 4+ years ago.

I just think its bad design. A game with any given draw-go deck feels like any other. I usually just start wishing they had done a better job designing decks that feel like you're in control of the game while doing something or anything.

OnPoint

I wonder if we'll get Rampant Growth back in again. It's been awhile with relying on Caryatid for our two mana ramp option for so long. It looks like there's no Elvish Mystic either so some sort of dependable ramp makes sense.
I suggested that we'd see ramp of some sort a few pages back because of Nissa. She 100% telegraphs that

Angry Grimace

I suggested that we'd see ramp of some sort a few pages back because of Nissa. She 100% telegraphs that

I doubt they will not have Elvish Mystic on Zendikar. I just can't see that.

Angry Grimace

Well fuck it. I just bought my stupid Raptors and Den Mothers because if that's gonna be around for rotation, then I guess that's what I'll be playing. I don't have the stomach to play any more Esper Dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom