• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Elvish Mystic is pretty similar in all those regards, except it's awesome to have in turn 1.

This is an elvish mystic with down side. Significant downside in some scenarios (v. mono red)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
9taj8xb.jpg

Good in Limited, but renown is just kind of there. Maybe when they become famous, only one more guy joins, like in Ghostbusters.

For some reason Renown on this card reminds me of Final Fantasy XV. Just a buncha dude-bros making noise.

EDIT: Actually the second-to-the-right person looks like a woman.

duxstar

The difference in wording on a card that makes it from a must have 4 of in most decks.

If The new Hierarch say's "Vigilance, Tap to add 1 color of any mana to your mana pool; Renowned if this creature deals combat damage to target player put a +1/+1 counter on it" It is a better Birds of Paradise, as is it's junk and shouldn't be played.

You literally need a way to A) make sure he comes down turn 1 every time, B) make sure he hits just so you are sure to get your mana, and C) keep him alive long enough to use it, at that point I'm just playing Shaman of Forgotten ways if i need ramp, at least he really jumps (3 to 5) and has an alternate win condition.

This post just got my green white aggro deck mind thinking though

Turn 1 Honored Hierarch, Turn 2 Gideon, Hierarch, Turn 3 Swing (maybe keep up dromoka's command), Gideon Flips, Untaps a Hierarch, pray they don't have languish

I think it's wrong to evaluate Heirarch as a mana dork. It seems better suited in aggro our midrange lists that could use high value 1-drops that can apply pressure as a 2-power accelerant. And if it's reliably drawing hate, then it's doing what most good 1-drops do. Time will tell, of course.

Edit: To clarify, I'm talking about Standard. I don't see this making a splash in Modern, at least not with the current card pool.

Wichu

4 Encase in Ice
3 Font of Fortunes
3 Font of Vigor
2 Silkwrap
2 Suspension Field
4 Banishing Light
4 Kruphix's Insight
3 Monastery Siege
3 Eidolon of Blossoms
1 Dictate of Heliod
3 End Hostilities
4 Starfield of Nyx
4 Flooded Strand
2 Forest
2 Island
4 Plains
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Plenty
4 Windswept Heath

ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg

ultron87

My Nekusar deck really didn't need another draw 7, but I'll take it. It's also a cute way to duck an end of turn trigger, though I don't have one in mind at the moment.

This surprised me but this doesn't actually work, or at least Nekusar doesn't get to damage off of it. Anything that triggers from them drawing the cards never gets to resolve because the stack gets emptied when the turn ends.

http://magicjudge.tumblr.com/post/122268068484/question-about-the-newly-spoiled-days-undoing

y2dvd

I think it's wrong to evaluate Heirarch as a mana dork. It seems better suited in aggro our midrange lists that could use high value 1-drops that can apply pressure as a 2-power accelerant. And if it's reliably drawing hate, then it's doing what most good 1-drops do. Time will tell, of course.

Edit: To clarify, I'm talking about Standard. I don't see this making a splash in Modern, at least not with the current card pool.

Even in standards, it's totally fair to evaluate it as a mana dork. I mean, any card that says "tap for mana" is being looker at as a mana accelerator. Hierarch simply ask for too much just to be able to tap for mana. Hell, you get vigilance after triggering Renown. At least give it beforehand so you can T1 drop, T1 attack and if dmg goes thru, 2nd main phase tap for Mana. Nope, you still gotta tap out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not any counters will trigger renown correct? If I'm reading this correctly, you have to deal combat dmg.

Wichu

Correct me if I'm wrong, but not any counters will trigger renown correct? If I'm reading this correctly, you have to deal combat dmg.

Yep, it works exactly like monstrosity. The counters and 'being renowned' are completely separate - adding counters another way won't make it renowned, and removing counters doesn't stop it being renowned.

aidan

Yep, it works exactly like monstrosity. The counters and 'being renowned' are completely separate - adding counters another way won't make it renowned, and removing counters doesn't stop it being renowned.

Since they're already printing double-sided cards in the set, it would have been fun if they'd used it for Renown.

If the goal is to just print enough things to make it so Twin HAS to be banned, I salute them:

CILdIOsW8AA6CmD.png

Kolaghan's Command is the only "real" Modern removal spell where this is advantageous over Pestermite. While it hits for 3 instead of 2, it has no evasion so it gets blocked all day. And it doesn't hit lands. This thing is a trap.

Even in standards, it's totally fair to evaluate it as a mana dork. I mean, any card that says "tap for mana" is being looker at as a mana accelerator. Hierarch simply ask for too much just to be able to tap for mana. Hell, you get vigilance after triggering Renown. At least give it beforehand so you can T1 drop, T1 attack and if dmg goes thru, 2nd main phase tap for Mana. Nope, you still gotta tap out.

Well, you CAN evaluate it as a mana dork, but I think it's unreliable as one, compared to Elvish Mystic etc. I just don't think it's meant to serve the same role as things like Noble Heirarch or Sylvan Caryatid, despite the obvious parallels.

Bandini

Kolaghan's Command is the only "real" Modern removal spell where this is advantageous over Pestermite. While it hits for 3 instead of 2, it has no evasion so it gets blocked all day. And it doesn't hit lands. This thing is a trap.

Yeah, I don't see this going into Twin decks. It's a nice limited card, though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hey that's a cool card. I could put that in my Melek deck either in place of or alongside Arcane Melee.

Its one of those EDH cards that's sort of neat but I'd probably never even look at once and just throw it in my bulk box.

Matriox

Etrian_Oddity, why not add me. :p

So far Ive only intended on drafting but mtgo experience has been better than I expected. Might build something inexpensive for standard/modern.

EDIT: forgot to mention I'll add you when I get on lol, Matriox24

EDIT 2: Anyone know any good bots to sell to? Or do I just need to find some in trade and check offers? I packed a tarmogoyf and a noble hierarch from my MM2 draft and it seems theyre worth something online.

y2dvd

Not halfway through spoilers yet but they need to reveal something to get excited about because these cards are boring thus far.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not halfway through spoilers yet but they need to reveal something to get excited about because these cards are boring thus far.

This is like Born of the Gods-tier so far.

M15 had:

Goblin Rabblemaster
Stoke the Flames
Nissa, Worldwaker
Perilous Vault
Radiant Fountain
Hornet Queen
Hornet Nest
Reclamation Sage
Soul of Theros
Pro Tour Top 8 God Card Genesis Hydra

Chord of Calling reprint
Painland reprints
Urborg Reprint

ORI has:

Strictly worse versions of every old card
Flipwalkers

Matriox

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169613354]M15 had:

Goblin Rabblemaster
Stoke the Flames
Nissa, Worldwaker
Perilous Vault
Radiant Fountain
Hornet Queen
Hornet Nest
Reclamation Sage
Soul of Theros
Pro Tour Top 8 God Card Genesis Hydra

Chord of Calling reprint
Painland reprints
Urborg Reprint

ORI has:

Strictly worse versions of every old card
Flipwalkers
...[/QUOTE]

To be fair we havnt seen the lands yet. Also Languish. Otherwise yep, Origins isn't really looking to change the game, but I've been wrong about card evaluation before.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169612382]Shadow of Doubt is 8 bucks? What the hell?[/QUOTE]

It was in Patrick Chapin's Grixis deck at GP Charlotte as a one of and thus it was bound to jump. Welcome to the new world of Magic card prices.

bigkrev

God's Beard!";169612382]Shadow of Doubt is 8 bucks? What the hell?[/QUOTE] [URL="http://www.mtgprice.com/sets/Ravnica/Shadow_of_Doubt said:
It's actually been a 10 dollar card for a while[/URL] and it's starting to drop in price a little bit

y2dvd

EN_m4bsf9st1d.png

Clash Pack foil, just to really drive home the fact they think this is a good card

Let's think it more fun ways to make this card legit lol. Maybe something like "tape for G mana. If creature is Renown, it gains Vigilance and can tap for any color mana." Boom, better card right there.

What is wrong with you people.

This is insane.

You can't say it's going to be insane and give no speculations as to why lol. I don't think this will be worth losing a whole turn on.

aidan

Let's think it more fun ways to make this card legit lol. Maybe something like "tape for G mana. If creature is Renown, it gains Vigilance and can tap for any color mana." Boom, better card right there.

Even tapping for colourless initially would make it more playable.

What other sort of cards would need to be revealed to make it playable? Something that makes all other creatures on your side of renowned?

What other sort of cards would need to be revealed to make it playable? Something that makes all other creatures on your side of renowned?

Big Dave, the Hero-Maker
2G
Legendary Creature - Human Dude
Renown 3
When Big Dave becomes renowned, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control with renown that isn't renowned. They become renowned.
2/3

edit: ok, still doesn't make Heirarch awesome, but whatever.

aidan

Big Dave, the Hero-Maker
2G
Legendary Creature - Human Dude
Renown 3
When Big Dave becomes renowned, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control with renown that isn't renowned. They become renowned.
2/3

edit: ok, still doesn't make Heirarch awesome, but whatever.

Bedazzled Microphone
Artifact
Tap: Target creature is renowned until end of turn
Microphone check, one, two, what is this?

G.ZZZ

Hierarch just needed vigilance before being renowned and it would've been a good card. But w/e it's not like green lack good mana critters.

Social Media Expert
W
Creature- Human Advisor
Creatures you control are renowned.
"This is sure to go viral!"
0/1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom